Beau Vine

11 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ah the we put cameras inside a plane

image.png.05d9ff64f2ff2a4d5602ea1002e4bf3b.png

Vs

We developed a technology and built massive sets

image.thumb.png.7fe84de0b2bb93b239a2377147608822.png

image.thumb.png.c754f1d1f65f5fcf66cca7e958fde43f.png

We put cameras inside a $70mm plane flying 100 ft AGL at Mach 2 with the lead actors pulling 8G for the first time in cinematic history vs we built a plywood set in a studio and used computers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Michelle Yeoh will win best actress. I haven’t seen the movie and have no idea if she’s fantastic or terrible, but they’re pushing the “First Asian actress to be nominated”, angle awfully hard. The Academy lives for this stuff these days! Just the world we live in.

The Academy, as of late, really likes to spread the love around and give something to most of the Best Pic nominees. With EEAAO a lock for supporting actor and probably a few other awards, I can't see Tar winning anywhere else besides Best Actress -- so if I had to call it, I'd say Cate wins it. (Both are very worthy winners!)

That, and the Academy has a dismal track record of giving the lead prizes to POC. 

I’m clearly in the minority but I thought Everything was garbage. After just over an hour, I finally bailed. The premise was great. Loved that. But it was a confusing, hard to follow, flashing mess that literally gave me a headache. The male lead’s acting was terrible.  The dialogue was so fast you couldn’t follow it. Just crap. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m clearly in the minority but I thought Everything was garbage. After just over an hour, I finally bailed. The premise was great. Loved that. But it was a confusing, hard to follow, flashing mess that literally gave me a headache. The male lead’s acting was terrible.  The dialogue was so fast you couldn’t follow it. Just crap. 

I thought Short Round was good!
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:38 PM, henrygandorf said:

i have not seen elvis yet, may not ever see it, but i am curious.  did tom hanks suck in it? 

He had this incredibly annoying Dutch accent that I couldn't get over enough to like his performance.  

It seriously sounded like he was playing Goldmember from that Austin Powers movie.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, Queen Bitch said:

The Academy, as of late, really likes to spread the love around and give something to most of the Best Pic nominees.

The Academy does not meet to decide. The voting is done individually not as a group. I believe only academy members from the nominated category vote for the winner nominees in that category. The exception is the choice for best picture.

Too often, people imagine "Hollywood" or the "Academy" as cohesive groups acting in concert. They're really not. Hollywood may have been a cozy village as late as the 40s, but that is long gone.

Academy voters get ballots. There are several special screenings around town so members have an opportunity to see the films on the big screen.

Just an FYI. 

Edited by RomaVicta
I got it wrong. See below.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The Academy does not meet to decide. The voting is done individually not as a group. I believe only academy members from the nominated category vote for the winner in that category. The exception is the choice for best picture.

Too often, people imagine "Hollywood" or the "Academy" as cohesive groups acting in concert. They're really not. Hollywood may have been a cozy village as late as the 40s, but that is long gone.

Academy voters get ballots. There are several special screenings around town so members have an opportunity to see the films on the big screen.

Just an FYI. 

My wife's great uncle was an Academy member (produced the Airport movies back in the day, among others).  I don't recall there being members of individual categories within the overall Academy, but could be wrong.  It was my understanding that if you're a member of the Academy you get to vote to nominate in every category and a vote for the winner of the nominees.

(I remember he used to send us video tapes of all of the potential nominees that would get sent to them "For Your Consideration").

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The Academy does not meet to decide. The voting is done individually not as a group. I believe only academy members from the nominated category vote for the winner in that category. The exception is the choice for best picture.

Just an FYI. 

The Academy has also doubled in size in the last 5 years and dramatically increased its minority representation (although women still only make up a 1/3, and POCs 1/5).

The idea that there is a central body pushing an agenda is just a false narrative used to drive clicks and outrage from a certain contingent of people. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

My wife's great uncle was an Academy member (produced the Airport movies back in the day, among others).  I don't recall there being members of individual categories within the overall Academy, but could be wrong.  It was my understanding that if you're a member of the Academy you get to vote to nominate in every category and a vote for the winner of the nominees.

(I remember he used to send us video tapes of all of the potential nominees that would get sent to them "For Your Consideration").

I had friends who worked at the Academy, so I got to see those and get to watch some features at their theatre.

I looked it up. I wasn't correct. This is from Variety:

Who votes on the Oscars?

As of Dec. 16, 2020, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had 9,427 eligible Oscar voters, a huge jump from five years ago (6,261 voters in 2015). Each person belongs to one of 17 branches. Each branch nominates for its own category — e.g., editors nominate editors, actors nominate for the four acting categories. Everyone gets to nominate best picture. For the final voting of the winner, all branches vote for everything.

So branch members nominate and all members vote. Even so, it's not a monolithic process as some assume.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I had friends who worked at the Academy, so I got to see those and get to watch some features at their theatre.

I looked it up. I wasn't correct. This is from Variety:

So branch members nominate and all members vote. Even so, it's not a monolithic process as some assume.

Perhaps they instituted the branches more recently.  The great uncle passed away around 20 years ago.  Or I'm just wrong (always a distinct possibility).

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The Academy does not meet to decide. The voting is done individually not as a group. I believe only academy members from the nominated category vote for the winner nominees in that category. The exception is the choice for best picture.

Just an FYI. 

Believe me, I understand how the nomination and voting processes works. But if you go back and look at the past few years, they tend to spread the love around, with almost every best pic nominee winning at least one prize.

I’m saying I personally don’t see them blanking Tar this year, but I also can’t really see it winning anywhere else but Best Actress. 

The awards have been spread around, but I don't think it's pattern decided on as a group.

I'd say that the slew of awards for Nomadland is an example of the individual members of the Academy having a darling and sticking with it. It was maybe the weakest of the nominees that year IMHO although the grandmother actress from Korea deserved her award.

Sorry for the thread drift but I just have to update regarding the Sundance festival:

The Short Film Grand Jury Prize presented by Shutterstock was awarded to When You Left Me On That Boulevard

Jury citation: From the first moment, we were fully on board for this rowdy ride. An uproarious take on extended family, irreverence and tradition with incredible attunement to details and frame. This directorial feat of freshness is our enthusiastic choice for the Sundance Grand Jury Short Film Prize goes to When You Left Me On That Boulevard

If you weren't able to get an online ticket to watch it for Sundance, it will be having its Texas premiere in March at SXSW.

Edited by DDD Dad

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Any of y'all seen To Leslie?

No but apparently there were some shenanigans afoot with her nomination:

https://variety.com/2023/awards/awards/andrea-riseborough-to-leslie-oscars-academy-review-1235504914/

The drama, which grossed only $27,000 at the box office, has come in for scrutiny for the targeted campaigning conducted by its supporters on behalf of Riseborough.

Since Tuesday’s nominations, the industry has been hotly debating whether her campaign violated any of the rules and guidelines established by AMPAS. Since Riseborough’s name was called, rumors have been circulating that she could be disqualified. In fact, according to multiple sources, the Academy is meeting next Tuesday, where Riseborough will be on the agenda. In addition, sources also reveal that although the Academy has been inundated with calls and e-mails regarding Riseborough’s inclusion, no formal complaints have been filed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, Queen Bitch said:

That, and the Academy has a dismal track record of giving the lead prizes to POC. 

This is only true of best actress which has been all-white since Halle Berry in 2001. Since 2000 four of the best actor wins have been black and four of the supporting actor wins have been black. If you count Benicio del Toro as POC (I would) then the total is 5 for supporting. For supporting actress there have been 8 POC winners since 2000 and those are all in the last 15 years. 

I'd say it's more coincidental than predictive. A lot of POC have been nominated for best actress. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is only true of best actress which has been all-white since Halle Berry in 2001. Since 2000 four of the best actor wins have been black and four of the supporting actor wins have been black. If you count Benicio del Toro as POC (I would) then the total is 5 for supporting. For supporting actress there have been 8 POC winners since 2000 and those are all in the last 15 years. 

I'd say it's more coincidental than predictive. A lot of POC have been nominated for best actress. 

Supporting is a slightly better issue, but I didn’t say supporting. Nor is Michelle Yeoh nominated in supporting. She’s up for Lead Actress, where *checks your notes* exactly one WOC has won this millennium in that category. So, thanks for making my point for me?

(To be clear, I think Cate wins primarily so Tar doesn’t go home empty handed. The film is fantastic, and this looks to be its best chance at a major award. But the overall whiteness of the category’s history isn’t exactly in Michelle’s favor either.)

11 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

She’s up for Lead Actress, where *checks your notes* exactly one WOC has won this millennium in that category. So, thanks for making my point for me?

So you think there is some conspiracy keeping women of color from winning best actress? Do you think best supporting actress isn't also a huge award? It's the same people voting for both awards and there are thousands of voters. They gave best picture to a South Korean film 3 years ago. The one win we're talking about was from over 20 years ago when the Academy was whiter and less female. If they collectively think Yeoh is the best actress then she'll win. 

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Any of y'all seen To Leslie?

I watched it last night.  I have no opinion on any nomination shenanigans or subterfuge that may have happened - I don't follow that stuff.  In my judgment, it was an Oscar nomination worthy performance.  I'd put it above De Armas (haven't seen Fabelmans/Michelle Williams) and well behind Yeoh and Blanchett.  I've certainly seen worse performances nominated  The film itself was worth a watch, though overall I found it just ok.  There were some high highs and the film had the potential to be excellent, but some uneven writing led to some characters devolving into tropes, which undermined the overall quality of the film.

my two cents.

• Drool 1

Watched All Quiet. Found it really good and well made but they shouldn't have given it that title. It was drastically different than the novel and other than the first 15 minutes setting up the "disposable heroes" nature of it all it didn't carry the same vibe the way the novel does. As an adaptation it's pretty crappy. As a stand alone movie it's very well done. 

1 down. Anyone else watching all of these before March?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

1 down. Anyone else watching all of these before March?

Yep. Working on it. Have no intention of watching Avatar or Elvis but I have a quirky uncle that still gives out DVDs for Christmas and a DVD copy of Elvis somehow made its way home with me. 

So far I've seen:

Banshees of Inisherin

All Quiet on the Western Front

Top Gun 

Kind of seen:

Everything Everywhere... (lost interest and turned it off. I may try and finish it)

Need to watch:

Tar

The Fabelmans 

Women Talking

Triangle of Sadness 

It really should just be 5 movies. The 10 nominated shit is ridiculous.

We watched Tar last night.  It is now both my and my wife's least favorite movie ever -- just complete dog shit.  

After about 20 minutes, I said, "This is far and away the most pretentious movie I've ever seen."  (I mean, the full fucking credits are at the beginning of the movie.)  She agreed and asked if we should cut our losses and turn it off.  We chose poorly and kept watching. 

There's no fucking plot.  That's OK if you're doing a biopic of a historical figure (like Elvis), but you cannot do a biopic of a fictional character.  There also seemed to be virtually no editing whatsoever -- there were about 5 times where I stopped the movie and asked, "What was the fucking point of that scene?" and the answer each time from the wife was "I have no idea."  

It's also a personal pet peeve that movies which rely heavily on dream sequences are lazy and poorly-written.

Just fucking terrible.  Fuck this movie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We watched Tar last night. Cate Blanchett's performance is great. If she wins Best Actress over Michelle Yeoh, I will not be disappointed. It was a masterclass in acting and being enveloped in a role. The credits at the beginning though were really bad. At least have something else going on besides a black background. The sound editing was really good throughout the movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

We watched Tar last night.  It is now both my and my wife's least favorite movie ever -- just complete dog shit.  

After about 20 minutes, I said, "This is far and away the most pretentious movie I've ever seen."  (I mean, the full fucking credits are at the beginning of the movie.)  She agreed and asked if we should cut our losses and turn it off.  We chose poorly and kept watching. 

There's no fucking plot.  That's OK if you're doing a biopic of a historical figure (like Elvis), but you cannot do a biopic of a fictional character.  There also seemed to be virtually no editing whatsoever -- there were about 5 times where I stopped the movie and asked, "What was the fucking point of that scene?" and the answer each time from the wife was "I have no idea."  

It's also a personal pet peeve that movies which rely heavily on dream sequences are lazy and poorly-written.

Yeah, I get that. It’s very, very backloaded. I left extremely into it… but the stuff I loved is all in the final 45 min or so.

1 hour ago, Queen Bitch said:

Yeah, I get that. It’s very, very backloaded. I left extremely into it… but the stuff I loved is all in the final 45 min or so.

I liked the last 45 minutes the best, but I think that was mainly because so very little happened in the first two hours.  

Spoiler

I'd say that the new cellist had a lot to do with the change. 

need to figure out where to watch Triangle of Sadness... which i literally had never heard of before the nominations came out, but the previews look quite funny!

have only seen Maverick (loved), All Quiet (very good, intense), and Banshees (ok but didn't really 'get' it).

i'm sure Fabelmans is great but seems kinda meh, i'm sure Spielberg has done better. i'll def seek out Women Talking (fascinated by hidden, dysfunctional subcultures) and i'll try EEAAO but it seems pretty, i dunno, frenetic, frantic, etc. i'll give it a try tho.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Just to be clear, you thought there was no “plot” in the movie Tar? I mean is it “pretentious” to run credits before a film as a nod to the unthanked industry of people it takes to uphold a person of power (like a Lydia Tar)? Sure I suppose so. But no plot? Are you sure you watched the right movie? Or perhaps you are confused about what that word means? Either way, a very impressive misunderstanding of an entire film. 

Watched Tar and found it interesting. Especially how Cate played it across the spectrum from being over-confident to zero confidence. I like how the movie introduced some aspects of the character's life but every storyline didn't go somewhere. Which was ok.

As for any controversy in Riseborough getting nominated, I find her to be one of the best actresses in Hollywood. Her performance in ZeroZeroZero was incredible along with many in that cast.  I haven't caught To Leslie yet but plan to soon.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:00 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Just to be clear, you thought there was no “plot” in the movie Tar? I mean is it “pretentious” to run credits before a film as a nod to the unthanked industry of people it takes to uphold a person of power (like a Lydia Tar)? Sure I suppose so. But no plot? Are you sure you watched the right movie? Or perhaps you are confused about what that word means? Either way, a very impressive misunderstanding of an entire film. 

That 70S Show Thank You GIF by PeacockTV

On 1/26/2023 at 8:19 PM, Dbeasy said:

What the fuck?

Look man, not all movies are for all people and Everything was definitely fucking weird so I can get it not being your thing, but this is utter nonsense.

Just finished Everything Everywhere. The acting was very good. The story was an interesting take on Everett MWI. The message of acceptance of yourself and your family was solid and conveyed in a very abstract way. Good movie.

The reaction to it reminds me of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's a more positive movie than that and not nearly as dark but you either got the weird craziness or it bothered you. Same thing here. 

Credits before a movie are absolutely pretentious and a waste of the audience's time.  the opening credits should be the film title, and then start the movie. And yes, I hate the 5 production company credits as well. I don't care.

And maybe many of the people are on the credits are the unthanked people behind a movie, but who cares. They're paid a salary to do their job. 

When I saw the credits at the beginning of Tar, I fast-fwded through. I would have been annoyed to sit in a theater with that bs.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, Beau Vine said:

He had this incredibly annoying Dutch accent that I couldn't get over enough to like his performance.  

It seriously sounded like he was playing Goldmember from that Austin Powers movie.

Col Tom Parker was Dutch. Illegally immigrated in his 20s. Watching it now and Hanks went too heavy with it to the point of being distracting. Parker passed himself off as American born when he got into the music industry and no way he could have done that sounding like this

Edited by Hermanator

On 1/26/2023 at 8:19 PM, Dbeasy said:

I’m clearly in the minority but I thought Everything was garbage. After just over an hour, I finally bailed.

I didn't like it and I bailed -- not looking forward to trying to rewatch. I thought it was a screechy mess, but I'm a bit intrigued by the best actress nomination now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, mdmost said:

We watched Tar last night. Cate Blanchett's performance is great. If she wins Best Actress over Michelle Yeoh, I will not be disappointed. It was a masterclass in acting and being enveloped in a role. The credits at the beginning though were really bad. At least have something else going on besides a black background. The sound editing was really good throughout the movie. 

I' don't even remember the credits or them being annoying.  Maybe I was thawing some girl scout cookies in anticipation of lesbianism or German kink.

Tar was about 10x less difficult to sit through than Everything or even Elvis (I did love the Legas scene but only the Vegas scene).  But that was a well fucking crafted movie. 

I wish we were talking about how preentious Bardo was in this thread because que pretenciousa!

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Credits before a movie are absolutely pretentious and a waste of the audience's time. 

The following post was:

Written by: Dbeasy

Directed by: Dbeasy

Produced by: Dbeasy

Cinematography by: Dbeasy

Key Grip: Dbeasy

Stunts by: Dbeasy

I’m okay with credits at the beginning.  

• Haha 2