2023 Oscars Thread

Beau Vine

On 1/25/2023 at 6:15 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Michelle Yeoh will win best actress. I haven’t seen the movie and have no idea if she’s fantastic or terrible, but they’re pushing the “First Asian actress to be nominated”, angle awfully hard. The Academy lives for this stuff these days! Just the world we live in.

Nvm, other people have already touched on this. It was a silly comment though.

I really really liked Banshees, EEAAO, Top Gun. Triangle of Sadness and Avatar are pretty good, but not sure they're up there for Best Picture, imo. I also think The Menu had similar themes as Triangle.... and did it better.... imo. All Quiet has been pretty good as well, but I'm not blown away. Just kinda reminds me of a few other WWII movies that were also made really well. I get that it's WWI and from a foreign vantage point, but I'm not blown away. I also have 40 mins left and will be finishing tonight....

Edited by BurdineBandit

23 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

All Quiet has been pretty good as well, but I'm not blown away. Just kinda reminds me of a few other WWII movies that were also made really well. I get that it's WWI and from a foreign vantage point, but I'm not blown away.

Interestingly, apparently German critics REALLY hate it

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Interestingly, apparently German critics REALLY hate it

They didn't hate the movie itself, they hated that it's a very loose adaptation from a revered classic German novel and they feel leaving out the parts where Paul returns home to find the war has completely changed him and he no longer relates with people he knew was movie blasphemy. That it completely altered the meaning of the novel. So they were pissed

• Like 2

They didn't hate the movie itself, they hated that it's a very loose adaptation from a revered classic German novel and they feel leaving out the parts where Paul returns home to find the war has completely changed him and he no longer relates with people he knew was movie blasphemy. That it completely altered the meaning of the novel. So they were pissed

Bookfags are the worst

On 2/4/2023 at 12:03 AM, Hermanator said:

Interesting. That would've added another layer to the story, imo. Would've liked to have seen it. 

On 1/29/2023 at 4:00 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I mean is it “pretentious” to run credits before a film as a nod to the unthanked industry of people it takes to uphold a person of power (like a Lydia Tar)?

God, I can imagine some meeting where the show runners are slobbering all over themselves to make this very argument while wondering if their latte actually contains the vegan, virgin, organic, fair trade oat milk they ordered.  Tar is the Niles Crane of movies.

I couldn’t look away from EEAAO.  Definitely my favorite movie of the year.

• Drool 1

We watched Triangle of Sadness the other night.

1.  No idea why it's getting Oscar noms.

2. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking long.  The last hour is pretty good, but the first 90 minutes are a mess. 

3.  More puke than I've ever seen before. 

4.  Holy shit, the hawt girl died suddenly of sepsis about a month ago. 

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

2. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking long.  The last hour is pretty good, but the first 90 minutes are a mess. 

i agree, except I thought the first 90 minutes was good and the last hour a mess.  I, also, looked up Charlbi Dean after seeing the film and was stunned to find out she died (August 2022) due to complications of having her spleen removed.

I'm still in on Ruben Ostlund, but I'm concerned about his trajectory.  Force Majeure was one of my favorite films of the decade.  I liked The Square, but thought it was a step down from FM (no shame in that though).  Triangle of Sadness is another step down, in my book.  

I liked Triangle of Sadness.  I thought the part on the yacht was funny but could have done without the puke and sewage backup.  I would definitely watch the drunk Captain Woody season of Below Deck.

I liked the Animal Farm kind of thing with Abigail on the island too.  

On 2/7/2023 at 11:27 AM, someguy said:

i agree, except I thought the first 90 minutes was good and the last hour a mess.  I, also, looked up Charlbi Dean after seeing the film and was stunned to find out she died (August 2022) due to complications of having her spleen removed.

I'm still in on Ruben Ostlund, but I'm concerned about his trajectory.  Force Majeure was one of my favorite films of the decade.  I liked The Square, but thought it was a step down from FM (no shame in that though).  Triangle of Sadness is another step down, in my book.  

100% this. FM is incredible. The Square is good. Triangle of Sadness is boring and has nothing of interest to say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Man, the Fabelmans is really good.  I've seen six of the best picture noms, and this is my favorite so far.  

2.5 hours, but when the credits popped up, I was shocked it was over.  

Michelle Williams is great as always.  

I’m not usually a Spielberg fan, and maybe it’s just because I’m getting old and soft, but I really, really enjoyed this movie.

I have now seen all of the films nominated for Best Picture, except Women Talking (looking forward to that film). Some excellent films nominated, but The Whale is the best picture In my humble opinion. Aronofsky at his best; fine acting by all, and wonderful writing by Samuel Hunter. It should have been nominated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think there is a possibility Top Gun wins best picture.  Just a feeling give ranked voting. 

Everything is awesome and my choice. But old people don’t get it.  Banshees is also awesome but I don’t feel it getting best picture.  Tar is an amazing performance buried in a pretentious film. I really like Triangle of Sadness but it’s not winning. Alls Quiet won by being nominated.  Avatar gets it on III if it is solid like Lord of the Rings.  

knocked out Women Talking and Triangle of Sadness the past couple of days. 

they were...okay? i mean the acting in WT was incredible but it was a bit of a slog. felt like...a female The Big Kahuna, in that they basically never left the one set and it was just endless dialogue...but movie title and all that lol so yeah...it was a lot of women talking. 

Triangle def had funny parts but it was mostly surrealistic. 

not sure either should be best picture noms...i thought Babylon was much more engaging.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, wild_turkey said:

If you don’t like that, why even start it?

Because I made up my mind this year to attempt to watch every best picture nominee before the Oscars ceremony date.

The method I used was to give each 30 to 45 min minimum and at that point decide if I'm at all engaged in the movie and care to take the time to finish. For Elvis, Avatar, and Top Gun i got to 45 min and decided I wasn't invested in the story at all and didn't care if I knew how it finished. That's the signal to bail. 

I have yet to finish Elvis; it wasn’t because I know his life story and I’m not sure what it was exactly. I know the Col’s background and thus the kind of distracting accent by Hanks (to which I grew accustomed) but somehow using his POV didn’t hold my attention if that makes sense. I can understand why it was written but as a whole, the movie became a slog even though Butler was doing alright. So, I have bailed twice. 

Not usually an award show watcher other than recaps but caught a bit of the SAGs last night because Sally Field was receiving a lifetime achievement award and I wanted to see that unedited.  She has sure had a long and varied career.

EEAAO won a lot of awards. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:14 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m not usually a Spielberg fan, and maybe it’s just because I’m getting old and soft, but I really, really enjoyed this movie.

Have you seen Empire of the Sun? I've mentioned it in this forum before, but one of my favorites of his. In case some haven't viewed it, I'll spoiler one of the parts that just really got to me:

Spoiler

The ending scene to this movie where the parents (played by Rupert Frazer and Emily Richard) are looking for their children from whom they've been separated due to the war. All around are parents searching and reuniting and there stands Jamie (Christian Bale), shell-shocked and distant. His father (bloke in hat) walks right past him as the score (the Welsh lullaby Suo Gan) begins to crescendo. As the music grows, she spots him and speaks his name. This is where IMO the director (whose son Max had been born maybe a year prior to filming?) just reaches through the screen and grabs me right by the tear ducts. As Jamie looks at his mother, he reaches out and touches her, he removes her hat and gently fingers her hair and then her face..and as the camera pulls in that close up where he slowly closes his eyes. A parent of an infant or small child--who cannot recognize that universal way that babies reach out to touch their caregivers? The playing with the hair, the patting of the lips, and then the slow slow close of the eyes as they finally give in to slumber safe in your arms. Combined with that lullaby just broke me that scene did. Don't care if anyone thinks that is over the top, it was a great capture of a universal human connection.

Here's a clip. There are several on YouTube but I went with a slightly longer one (5 minutes) as it shows the camp where Jim was. If you only want the scene skip to the 2:50 mark.

Spielberg has stated in interviews that the theme of separation (children and parents) has been in so many of his films perhaps due to his parents divorce and he sees Empire as a loss/death of innocence. It's his film and his perspective, but whether intuitively or consciously this film (to me) shows how much we as humans try and recreate those connections or bonds in whatever way we can in the absence of those who first cared for us. The innocence may be gone, but we recognize its worth.

I think there is a possibility Top Gun wins best picture.  Just a feeling give ranked voting. 

Everything is awesome and my choice. But old people don’t get it.  Banshees is also awesome but I don’t feel it getting best picture.  Tar is an amazing performance buried in a pretentious film. I really like Triangle of Sadness but it’s not winning. Alls Quiet won by being nominated.  Avatar gets it on III if it is solid like Lord of the Rings.  

How old is old? I “got” it but didn’t think it was Oscar worthy.

Cruise was very good at aging that character into someone interesting. That was the best part of Maverick for me. Most of the movie is preposterous as in the original. I only watched it because it was nominated. Oh, I also liked how someone finally dramatized how hard that kind of flying is on the human body.

Dumbest thing, as in the first one, is the aircraft carrier having one plane available on deck to save the ship. No CAP above, no topped off reserve fighters, just a guy in a plane on the deck.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2023 at 1:22 PM, DDD Dad said:

...not sure if Women Talking is something I really want to watch based on the trailers I've seen so far.

I hope you watch it. More men watching and listening (instead of talking) about this topic is not a bad thing in this world.

On 1/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, mchookem said:

i'll def seek out Women Talking (fascinated by hidden, dysfunctional subcultures)

Spoilered for comments.

Spoiler

You mention above that you saw it, and I agree that it is dialogue heavy, but I am a proponent of this movie. While the film is based on the novel by Miriam Toews and many viewers are aware that it is indeed based on a *true story of what happened in Bolivia at the Mennonite "Manitoba" Colony, what is groundbreaking (to me) in some way is what it represents. Not an isolated religious community where women w/o agency manage to gather and discuss their situation but what were to happen if ALL women (sans men) in any community were to gather and make decisions about male crimes against women and girls. As the men are bailing out the other men, the women are talking to each other and w/o the noise of the men. In some ways, I think the title is actually a two fold weapon--one that is used against women in society, and one that is inversely a threat to men (dismissed and belittled by them as of no such importance) but representing one half of the community--not a small number when united.

Ultimately, the film will not win the award for Best Picture, and against some of the other nominees it is not too surprising--some good films among the contenders this year. But I do hope more folks give it a chance and really think about the broader commentary with respect to the topic.

*over 100 women and girls ranging in age from 3 to 65  were raped for years by a group of men who used a tranquilizer spray meant for cattle. A reporter (for Time magazine then) stationed in Bolivia at the time of the arrests that reported on the events later did a follow-up and discovered that none of the victims ever received any therapy or other aid.

One story here: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4w7gqj/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia-000300-v20n8

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oscars this Sunday evening at 7pm CT. I don't usually set aside time for award shows, but I am actually paying more attention this year because I really really want to see the third installment in an Amelia Dimoldenberg v Andrew Garfield red carpet interview. Just adorable in a British awkward flirty way. She grooves with this niche and is good at it and he plays along so well. So much better than the pre-prepped bland pablum.

@Bama Chick--do you watch her at all? I've heard that Harry fans want her to have a Chicken Shop Date with him, but no word on if he's interested. She just released one with Shania Twain for Intl Women's Day this week.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:06 PM, LonghornSean said:

Also I believe it's ranked choice voting, at least for the final winners ballot.

Only for Best Picture.  All other categories are Check Box for Winner.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:34 AM, Beau Vine said:

All of this.  ToS was shit.  It had a few moments, but it was shit.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:57 PM, mchookem said:

literally everything that happens happens off screen, the movie is only of the women talking about what happened. 

shit. when i write it like that even *i* hate it lol. 

moviename def checks out. 

Both Tar and Women Talking are like this:  Everything happens off screen.  They are like anti-action flicks.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, just odd that two nominees would be like that.

And Tar was very pretentious.  Cate B was great - as always - but the film was turrble.

Don't care what people think.  I'm openly pulling for Tom Cruise to win Best Picture for Maverick.  I love what he did for the movie industry with the release, it's good enjoyable movie and it'll be a lifetime award.  (Also, the Academy likes what he did with the movie release.)

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Don't care what people think.  I'm openly pulling for Tom Cruise to win Best Picture for Maverick.  I love what he did for the movie industry with the release, it's good enjoyable movie and it'll be a lifetime award.  (Also, the Academy likes what he did with the movie release.)

Edited by DDD Dad

Well I attempted to watch all but "women talking". After a good start of movies I enjoyed I then encountered a run of movies i bailed on after 45 min. That beat me down by the end. 

Best picture out of them in my eyes? Either Banshees of Inisherin or Everything Everywhere. Next runner up is All Quiet. 

Actor? Although the movie got predictable and started to bore me the kid that played Elvis did a fantastic job. 

Actress? I'd go with the Everything Everywhere lady (forgot her name). At least her movie I was willing to finish so that puts her over Blanchett. 

The best overall scene in any of the movies I saw was the foxhole scene in All Quiet with the enemy soldier. That was a  captivating few minutes and almost entirely visual. Those few minutes of visuals said more than a half hour of dialogue could have said. 

I think EEAAO will win Best Picture, but Banshees was slightly better.

For Actor, I haven't seen The Whale because I wasn't interested enough to see it in a theater and I'm not paying $20 to stream it just because Aronofsky thinks all movies should be watched in theaters. I keep reading that people don't like the movie but like Fraser's performance (which is how I feel about Austin Butler in Elvis), and that it is a portrait of a fat person as imagined by thin people. At this point I'll probably pick Butler as the winner, since his performance really was great and biopics do well at the Oscars, but it's probably neck-and-neck between those two.

Michelle Yeo will win Actress for all the reasons everyone else has said, and also Cate Blanchett already has two acting Oscars. I thought she was great in Tar, though, even though the movie itself was meh and

Spoiler

part of me thinks the last third wasn't real and was Lydia Tar's fever dream about the worst way everything could possibly go down for her.

So who's going to jump out of the audience and slap Jimmy Kimmel? Matt Damon? I kind of expect that to turn into an Oscars bit from here on out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve now seen 8 of the 10.  Nothing really just did it for me.  

Watched Triangle last night and enjoyed it.  So brutal and over the top.  Really nasty and absurd. A cute little indie movie. But not really much to it.  It felt like you were looking back at a now-famous director’s first film.

Tar was actually very similar in tone and message to me but obviously much bigger in scale and production.  But Tar did that thing where the setup was two hours and the movie itself was 20 minutes.  We learned and learned like going to a seminar. Then with all that background, the actual plot was pretty thin and short.  I do like the prevailing theories that she’s really the suicide and/or that the only “real” parts of the story are from her childhood home forward, though. Movies that can make you think about stuff like that are pretty decent.  

EEAOA was just another dumb Rick & Morty multiverse gag to me.  It’s a lot more than a little too twee and cute for me. Dildo joke fight scenes.  Marvel movie for guys who memorize South Park episodes. Probably my least favorite of the eight. 

Women Talking was exactly what you think.  You endure it and feel superior for doing so.  

Same with All Quiet, which i have now seen in three different versions.  That alone discounts it for me.  

The Fabelmans wasn’t a remake but it sure felt like I’ve seen that before.  Everything felt like another movie, which I guess was part of the conceit/concept. I thought it was a fine Boomer nostalgia piece.  

Didn’t see Elvis because Australia and especially Moulin Rouge were worse than anesthesia-free dental work. 

Didnt see Avatar. Sat through all 27 hours of the first one and recall nothing else about it.  It’s probably similar. 

Top Gun is a great fun movie, but that’s not what this award is about. 

Banshees was far and away the best of the nominees IMHO (with the obvious caveat that I didn’t see two of them).  Funny, sad, over-the-top in places but also played down.  But still it wasn’t transcendent or anything.  It was “really pretty good.”

Blanchett should be a lock but probably won’t win because of all the EEAAO hype. Farrell should also win but won’t - then again, I didn’t see the Whale.  Director should go to McDonagh or Field but probably will be EEAAO again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Michelle Yeo will win Actress for all the reasons everyone else has said, and also Cate Blanchett already has two acting Oscars. I thought she was great in Tar, though, even though the movie itself was meh and

Reveal hidden contents

part of me thinks the last third wasn't real and was Lydia Tar's fever dream about the worst way everything could possibly go down for her.

Fascinating.  I hadn’t heard that theory but it also makes sense.

That movie is getting better and better with further reflection.  It’s obviously a nod to Kubrick - he was sort of Field’s mentor (Field played Nick Nightengale).  So maybe it’s meant to be dissected rather than watched. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I hope you watch it. More men watching and listening (instead of talking) about this topic is not a bad thing in this world.

Spoilered for comments.

Hide contents

You mention above that you saw it, and I agree that it is dialogue heavy, but I am a proponent of this movie. While the film is based on the novel by Miriam Toews and many viewers are aware that it is indeed based on a *true story of what happened in Bolivia at the Mennonite "Manitoba" Colony, what is groundbreaking (to me) in some way is what it represents. Not an isolated religious community where women w/o agency manage to gather and discuss their situation but what were to happen if ALL women (sans men) in any community were to gather and make decisions about male crimes against women and girls. As the men are bailing out the other men, the women are talking to each other and w/o the noise of the men. In some ways, I think the title is actually a two fold weapon--one that is used against women in society, and one that is inversely a threat to men (dismissed and belittled by them as of no such importance) but representing one half of the community--not a small number when united.

Ultimately, the film will not win the award for Best Picture, and against some of the other nominees it is not too surprising--some good films among the contenders this year. But I do hope more folks give it a chance and really think about the broader commentary with respect to the topic.

*over 100 women and girls ranging in age from 3 to 65  were raped for years by a group of men who used a tranquilizer spray meant for cattle. A reporter (for Time magazine then) stationed in Bolivia at the time of the arrests that reported on the events later did a follow-up and discovered that none of the victims ever received any therapy or other aid.

One story here: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4w7gqj/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia-000300-v20n8

From the above:

Not an isolated religious community where women w/o agency manage to gather and discuss their situation but what were to happen if ALL women (sans men) in any community were to gather and make decisions about male crimes against women and girls. As the men are bailing out the other men, the women are talking to each other and w/o the noise of the men. In some ways, I think the title is actually a two fold weapon--one that is used against women in society, and one that is inversely a threat to men (dismissed and belittled by them as of no such importance) but representing one half of the community--not a small number when united.

Excellent summation and interpretation. Your point about using the title as a weapon to dismiss what women have to say has been supported more than once on this thread. I think you know how I feel about white men surrendering control of our world from other threads on the board whose name we dare not speak aloud.

I think the movie is a great example of having so many excellent parts for creation ranging from a great idea, a fabulous cast (Roony Mara more than held her own amid a sea of proven actresses), a proven director (Sarah Polley's Away from Her is a gem), to a very capable writer (Polley, again) can miss the mark.

I'm glad I saw it, but I got bored. Every speech and gesture was set up and shot like it was of utmost significance. This acted acted as a narative metronome rather than a melody/medley.

I also felt this movie would have been monumental if released in 1975 where over-explanation would likely be necessary to carry points that were new back then. They are valid and important points today, and they are under assault. Although the status of women and persons of color are overtly challenged, the Me Too movement revealed to me how complacent I'd become to things going on all around. Those sexual abuses and harrassment are subtle enough that they revealed how law has not been protecting women from pussy-grabbers and sexists.

I think a more subtle approach would have made the picture more current and even profound. Polley uses the children playing to illustrate in action the points being made in the barn. I think a little more actual experience of men brushing past women revealing in ways other than rape and beatings just how total male command is would have benefitted the narrative.

One point that is diminished especially towards the end was the urgency of acting quickly before the men returned. 

Spoiler

Once a decision is made to leave, the women dither. The goodbyes are long. The point was escape from something truly abominable, but movie continues on its slow pace.

Losing that sense of urgency really cost the movie in terms of emotional connection.

Again, the content and perspective in the film I agree with. But that's not enough for me in a movie.

PS I think Banshees is my favorite of the nominees.

Triangle of Sadness had a lot of great stuff and a real commentary on life. The seasick sequence should have been reduced to the woman sliding around in her bathroom (head on a ship). The Fillipina actress was great. It seems to be another year where no one will remember who won after about 6 months.

The studios aren't even trying to make memorable movies or taking a chance on anything daring. I miss that. Kubrick was the last great filmmaker backed by a studio. Wait. Nope. Christopher Nolan is out there making great movies with big budgets. I can't think of anyone else.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fascinating.  I hadn’t heard that theory but it also makes sense.

That movie is getting better and better with further reflection.  It’s obviously a nod to Kubrick - he was sort of Field’s mentor (Field played Nick Nightengale).  So maybe it’s meant to be dissected rather than watched. 

Yes, exactly. 

Spoiler

I think it starts at the part where she goes to the abandoned building to bring Olga whatever it was that she left behind. When she face-planted running up the stairs, I started to think something was up. It was so out of character for this tightly wound, perfectionistic woman. What would embarrass her the most? Everything that happened from then on out.

I think I'm talking myself into liking it more and more, lol.

Edited by austingirl

3 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yes, exactly. 

Hide contents

I think it starts at the part where she goes to the abandoned building to bring Olga whatever it was that she left behind. When she face-planted running up the stairs, I started to think something was up. It was so out of character for this tightly wound, perfectionistic woman. What would embarrass her the most? Everything that happened from then on out.

I absolutely agree on the dream/fantasy nature of that scene. But also

Spoiler

The beginning interview with Adam Gopnik is kind of similar.  He’s a real guy, and it looks like a real interview, but he lists her accomplishments and they’re everything but the Nobel Peace Prize, including an EGOT and being Leonard Bernstein’s protege.  It’s like a little kid’s fantasy of an interview.  And in it she makes that silly speech about controlling time.  I like the thought that she’s basically a washout dreaming about what she could have been if things had gone the way the “should have.”  

Add to that that even the obituary of the suicide only shows the dead woman’s face covered by red hair-the exact thing we see in the opening shot.  And we never really learn anything about her.

Really been a while since I’ve thought about a film as a puzzle this much.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

PS I think Banshees is my favorite of the nominees.

The studios aren't even trying to make memorable movies or taking a chance on anything daring.

I agree that Women Talking had flaws and whether it is ironic or not, I also picked the male 'buddy' movie, The Banshees of Inisherin, for my favorite of the nominees I've seen thus far. Especially since Kerry Condon's character ends up leaving due to the futility of it all.

Sometimes you just want to throw your hands up and just take a hike.

It does seem that it has grown harder and harder to move projects from idea to fruition in the industry. I had hopes that perhaps the various streaming services would aid in that, and perhaps they do. There are a lot of things competing for our attention these days, though, so it could be a matter of being able to sift and winnow to find the wheat among the chaff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

From the above:

Excellent summation and interpretation. Your point about using the title as a weapon to dismiss what women have to say has been supported more than once on this thread. I think you know how I feel about white men surrendering control of our world from other threads on the board whose name we dare not speak aloud.

I think the movie is a great example of having so many excellent parts for creation ranging from a great idea, a fabulous cast (Roony Mara more than held her own amid a sea of proven actresses), a proven director (Sarah Polley's Away from Her is a gem), to a very capable writer (Polley, again) can miss the mark.

I'm glad I saw it, but I got bored. Every speech and gesture was set up and shot like it was of utmost significance. This acted acted as a narative metronome rather than a melody/medley.

I also felt this movie would have been monumental if released in 1975 where over-explanation would likely be necessary to carry points that were new back then. They are valid and important points today, and they are under assault. Although the status of women and persons of color are overtly challenged, the Me Too movement revealed to me how complacent I'd become to things going on all around. Those sexual abuses and harrassment are subtle enough that they revealed how law has not been protecting women from pussy-grabbers and sexists.

I think a more subtle approach would have made the picture more current and even profound. Polley uses the children playing to illustrate in action the points being made in the barn. I think a little more actual experience of men brushing past women revealing in ways other than rape and beatings just how total male command is would have benefitted the narrative.

One point that is diminished especially towards the end was the urgency of acting quickly before the men returned. 

Reveal hidden contents

Once a decision is made to leave, the women dither. The goodbyes are long. The point was escape from something truly abominable, but movie continues on its slow pace.

Losing that sense of urgency really cost the movie in terms of emotional connection.

Again, the content and perspective in the film I agree with. But that's not enough for me in a movie.

Rooney Mara herself is a proven actress and has been in many great films - off the top of my head I'm thinking The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Carol, and Nightmare Alley. She may not have the name recognition of some of the others, but she's far from untested. Not sure how spoilery this is but just in case:

Spoiler

To your other bolded point, I'm not sure how much faster they could've gone - they decided to leave just before sundown, and their established meeting time was an hour past sunrise the next morning. Unless I got the time wrong? They had to pack up their lives and gather everyone in just a few hours.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Spoilered for comments.

Hide contents

Overall, it was heartbreaking and extremely well-acted. I just finished it an hour ago and need more time to organize all my thoughts. I wouldn't name it Best Picture, but it should win Adapted Screenplay by a landslide.