2023 Oscars Thread

Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s often hilarious to me how little sense of humor Hollywood typed have when they are made fun of…shit they make movies about absolutely stereotyping everything and everyone but if you mention Ozempic or something they just shut the fuck down…lmao. 

You enjoy it when people make fun of your constant stream of stupidly inane comments on surly?

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

So where does Data rank on the list of least talented actors to win an Oscar?

Dude, his performance in Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen. 

Your take is bad and you should feel bad.

• Hook 'Em 3

Diane warren has been nominated like a ton of times and like has never won man. What does it take?! 

Michelle Williams drives me absolutely batshit and I have no idea why but I just cannot stand her.  She’s like as exciting as dryer lint.

Fuck Ya! Michelle Yeoh! Fuck Ya! Awesome awesome!!! So excited for her and Brendan Fraser. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Dude, his performance in Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen. 

Your take is bad and you should feel bad.

I should feel bad?  You sound like me at 15 when I declared Face Off best action movie of all time - until saw Con-Air.

The only thing this year will be remembered for is how weak it was. 

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Apparently the voters didn't watch Tar or To Leslie

I love me some Andrea Riseborough (have y'all seen Mandy with Nic Cage?) but she was never going to beat those two. No matter how deserving. Here's a great article about To Leslie and their Oscar campaign: https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/to-leslie-low-budget-oscar-campaign-1234818052/

Edited by austingirl

I know many will disagree, but this feels like a political win.  I watched every nominated film aside from Avatar, and Everything, Everywhere, all at Once wasn't even the 3rd or 4th best film of the year.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, austingirl said:

I love me some Andrea Riseborough (have y'all seen Mandy with Nic Cage?) but she was never going to beat those two. 

She was the only good thing in ZeroZeroZero but I didn’t see her movie this year.

Three years in a row - just bet on the picture nominee I liked least.  I guess it was better than Crash or Shakespeare in Love. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Before I put on my glasses I kept seeing EEAAO and somehow thought people were typing EABOD and I’m like now that’s a movie that should win it all. But alas…no…

Next year’s Oscars should be lit! This was one of the more enjoyable telecasts I’ve watched in the last decade. It’s weird not seeing so many of the older stars in the crowd that I grew up with…Jack Nicholson and so on…passing off the torch. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

She was the only good thing in ZeroZeroZero but I didn’t see her movie this year.

Three years in a row - just bet on the picture nominee I liked least.  I guess it was better than Crash or Shakespeare in Love. 

To Leslie is great, I hightly recommend it.  Super low budget, but captures alcoholism with the rawness of Leaving Lass Vegas.

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Diane warren has been nominated like a ton of times and like has never won man. What does it take?! 

Michelle Williams drives me absolutely batshit and I have no idea why but I just cannot stand her.  She’s like as exciting as dryer lint.

Fuck Ya! Michelle Yeoh! Fuck Ya! Awesome awesome!!! So excited for her and Brendan Fraser

He's my fav, dude has been though hell man I'm glad he's got some kind of peace and recognition. 

encinoman2-edited.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I know many will disagree, but this feels like a political win.  I watched every nominated film aside from Avatar. and Everything, Everywhere, all at Once wasn't even the 3rd or 4th best film of the year.

Yeah I disagree and Banshees was my personal favorite. But respectfully, man it’s hard to not go CR on this comment/attitude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't watch a lot of movies any more, so I can't tell you if Everything, Everywhere, All At Once deserved all the Oscars it won. There might've been performances, scripts, movies this year that were better.

What I do know is that the movie, script, and performances were among the best I've ever seen in a half-century of movie watching.

(oh, and... I just started Top Gun last night, and same thing--been watching it with headphones on, and it's one of the best-sounding movies I've watched. Just pure ear candy.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When it seems as if every third big budget movie features a comic book hero come to life along with subsequent spin-offs, a movie featuring a mother, estranged from her husband, estranged from her daughter and who discovers her own superpowers within as she fights for her family seems like a pretty marvelous win to me. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I know many will disagree, but this feels like a political win.  I watched every nominated film aside from Avatar, and Everything, Everywhere, all at Once wasn't even the 3rd or 4th best film of the year.

I can't even find the words to describe how bad this take is. This is "rooting for A&M against Texas" levels of wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched EEAAO in theaters and walked out thinking, "I haven't seen a movie that good in a very long time." Every part of the movie was made and acted to near perfection. You can choose to not like the absolute wackiness of the material, but they had a vision and fucking nailed that vision. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I can't even find the words to describe how bad this take is. This is "rooting for A&M against Texas" levels of wrong.

This makes no sense, but whatever.

However, if EEAAO was once of the best movies you've seen in 50 years I truly feel for you.  It was pedestrian at best. 

• Hook 'Em 2