2023 Oscars Thread

Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This makes no sense, but whatever.

However, if EEAAO was once of the best movies you've seen in 50 years I truly feel for you.  It was pedestrian at best. 

You didn't get it. That's fine. But that's a you problem, not a problem with the movie.

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

I'll add that it was my favorite theater movie experience since the first time I saw Mad Max Fury Road.

It was fine for what it was, I'm just not seeing how it earned Best Picture.

Best Original Screenplay, sure, no problem, it was a creative script.  Did Jamie Lee Curtis deserve Best Supporting Actress? Yes.

But unfortunately, for me, the title summed up the movie.

There was no plot.

Edited by DixonHur

Just now, YChang said:

You understand a hero’s journey but don’t see that for Evelyn in the movie? Listen I’m not gonna debate subjective taste with ya which is totally fair. My annoyance with your original comment is more how a film you didn’t like and earning accolades is political. But hey, lots of movies and genres for all of us to enjoy. 

Look, even you didn't think it was the Best Picture.  

My undergrad is RTF and I worked about a decade in Hollywood, so maybe my standards are too high.  But for Best Picture I need to see something inspiring, not just "eh, that was pretty good", which is how I felt about EEAAO.

If it were just about movies I'd want to see again, Top Gun would have been the pick for me hands down.  But IMO, the best effort in filmmaking for 2022...of the films nominated... was The Fabelmans, followed by Tar, All Quiet on the Western Front, and then EEAAO.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

But IMO, the best effort in filmmaking for 2022...of the films nominated... was The Fabelmans, followed by Tar, All Quiet on the Western Front, and then EEAAO.

Sometimes the best pic actually wins.  Sometimes the popular choice wins.  Typical academy

• Hook 'Em 1

My biggest complaint is not best picture it’s the In Memoriam segment. It’s done so fast and despite having a lot of time to prepare (yes I know Tom Sizemore died recently and it’s just basically too fucking hard to slip in his picture?) but they also forgot Fred Ward (which wtf) and Cindy Williams (yes I know the Emmy’s will get her bc she was MOSTLY on TV) but can some outside firm or funeral home handle the segment. They fuck it up all the time. ALL the TIME!!!!!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

My biggest complaint is not best picture it’s the In Memoriam segment. It’s done so fast and despite having a lot of time to prepare (yes I know Tom Sizemore died recently and it’s just basically too fucking hard to slip in his picture?) but they also forgot Fred Ward (which wtf) and Cindy Williams (yes I know the Emmy’s will get her bc she was MOSTLY on TV) but can some outside firm or funeral home handle the segment. They fuck it up all the time. ALL the TIME!!!!!!! 

None of those people were more important than profits

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Look, even you didn't think it was the Best Picture.  

My undergrad is RTF and I worked about a decade in Hollywood, so …

Is all that time working in catering? Because clearly your rtf education taught you nothing if you said this:

7 hours ago, DixonHur said:

That's not a plot, it's a character arc

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Are you sure they didn’t show their names when they had headshots of Lenny on the piano? That was my complaint, about 2-3 times they showed him, but were still running the pictures and we missed some of them (if they were in the background and unreadable). For a show that celebrates editing, this was edited terribly.

And fuck Tom Sizemore. That abusive, sexual predator doesn’t deserve being memorized at the Oscars. I know the guy had demons, but it doesn’t excuse that aspect of his behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You didn't get it. That's fine. But that's a you problem, not a problem with the movie.

Sorry, this kind of smug, self-satisfied comment just pisses me off.  It’s a fucking movie. Its OK to not like a movie.  Or even think it’s not as good as other movies.  

You liked it.  I thought it was a little silly and precious.  That’s fine. Maybe we could have discussion about what you liked or didn’t like?  No, I just didn’t “get it” so there’s no point.  

If you’re not interested in discussion, fine, but don’t grenade over the idea that you understand some transcendent meaning that we’re just not capable of grasping. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I've know the oscars are total bullshit ever since fucking Shakespeare in Love beat out Platoon and Aliens for best picture.

Seriously wtf.

Several years ago, Jon Stewart hosting the Oscars, summed up Oscar fuckery after some rap group was just awarded an Oscar for some forgettable song then pointed out the rap group had 1 Oscar while Martin Scorsese had zero.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I also didn't see Charlbi Dean - you know, one of the main actresses in a Best Picture nominee who tragically died at 32 in August.

• Hook 'Em 3

I have no problem with EEAAO being the Best Picture award winner. It is voting by Academy members, not general cinema-goers, and they have their own personal choices and favorites. Of the ones I viewed, The Banshees of Inisherin was my favorite because of the themes it explored and it had some got damn funny lines. That being said, EEAAO also had themes worth discussion and that both of these movies were original screenplays was something of which I was delighted.

Spoilering the remaining commentary for brevity etc:

Spoiler

The thing about EEAAO though--that the two Daniels have been working on this for over a decade, and I have to wonder if their screenplay had been developed and produced prior to the release of other major products (with multiverse elements) what its reception would have been like. I sense poorly simply because movie viewers may have been too overwhelmed by the absurdity and the 'foreign-ness' of it all. That is not meant as an offensive pejorative by the way, but a compliment. Had it gone into production then, it would have been showing in the era of The King's Speech and The Social Network, etc. and I just don't know if it would've been appreciated for its uniqueness against those type of biopics.

By foreign-ness, I mean that this movie (and why I don't quibble about its selection) takes a lot of America that is America and the American experience and just turns it on its head to get to the realness that are family relationships and that families face similar issues no matter where one comes from (whether recently or long ago) or who you are.

4 hours ago, WBT said:

What is it you think people aren't getting?  It's not a complicated movie.

Look at the comments of the person I was responding to.

I don't think "people" aren't getting it. I'm responding directly to a particular person who identified what he didn't get. He said that the movie had no plot.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I have no problem with EEAAO being the Best Picture award winner. It is voting by Academy members, not general cinema-goers, and they have their own personal choices and favorites. Of the ones I viewed, The Banshees of Inisherin was my favorite because of the themes it explored and it had some got damn funny lines. That being said, EEAAO also had themes worth discussion and that both of these movies were original screenplays was something of which I was delighted.

Spoilering the remaining commentary for brevity etc:

Hide contents

The thing about EEAAO though--that the two Daniels have been working on this for over a decade, and I have to wonder if their screenplay had been developed and produced prior to the release of other major products (with multiverse elements) what its reception would have been like. I sense poorly simply because movie viewers may have been too overwhelmed by the absurdity and the 'foreign-ness' of it all. That is not meant as an offensive pejorative by the way, but a compliment. Had it gone into production then, it would have been showing in the era of The King's Speech and The Social Network, etc. and I just don't know if it would've been appreciated for its uniqueness against those type of biopics.

By foreign-ness, I mean that this movie (and why I don't quibble about its selection) takes a lot of America that is America and the American experience and just turns it on its head to get to the realness that are family relationships and that families face similar issues no matter where one comes from (whether recently or long ago) or who you are.

I wonder if this film wins Best Picture if Jackie Chan was the lead like originally planned?

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

If you’re not interested in discussion, fine, but don’t grenade over the idea that you understand some transcendent meaning that we’re just not capable of grasping. 

Same comment to you: Who's this "we" you're talking about? I'm going to presume you're not among the people who thought it "had no plot."

That's not "discerning some transcendent thing," that's more like, "how many drugs were you on when you watched it?"

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I wonder if this film wins Best Picture if Jackie Chan was the lead like originally planned?

I think you're talking about two movies so different from each other that we don't even know what the Jackie Chan movie would be about.

• Like 1

Just now, Rimbo said:

I think you're talking about two movies so different from each other that we don't even know what the Jackie Chan movie would be about.

The change didn't happen until late when Chan couldn't do the film and Yeoh was able to (COVID lockdowns). And I kid, because yeah, this move would clearly be very different.

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I can't get is people who have been watching movies for a long as time STILL not getting the Oscars.

They don't always represent the fan favorites and certainly not movies you might like.

The concept is supposed to be "best" by whatever metric films are measured. I've seen movies I hate win best picture and I get it because they were technically good, etc. Forrest Gump is a good example of this, not a movie I liked when it came out, but I totally get why it won best picture (even against the competition it faced).

It was fine for what it was, I'm just not seeing how it earned Best Picture.
Best Original Screenplay, sure, no problem, it was a creative script.  Did Jamie Lee Curtis deserve Best Supporting Actress? Yes.
But unfortunately, for me, the title summed up the movie.
There was no plot.

Plot? Thats a great take in 1953. Cinema has showcased a variety of deconstructed stories since that time. And that doesnt even cover pulp or character-driven movies.

The movie was expertly made, acted. It was both high-brow and low-brow. Was an amazing movie.
  • Hook 'Em 1