2023 Oscars Thread

Beau Vine

22 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You went through all of that summary, and didn't mention that they made a movie about a guy dying after taking the length from a horse? Those dudes are odd ducks.

A few years back when my daughter was in HS, one day I went to pick her up at XC practice, and I ended up talking to a new girl who had just moved in.  I was wearing UDub gear, so she asked me about it and said that she had just moved from a small town near Seattle.  I started pressing her for where exactly she lived and she said she didn't want to tell because she was embarrassed.  I said, "So, Enumclaw?"  And she sighed and confirmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enumclaw_horse_sex_case

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

I find it amusing that the majority of people in this thread that didn't understand or potentially care for EEAAO are enamored by Maverick. Says quite a bit in my opinion.

What says a lot is people who discount Maverick because it has "Top Gun" in the title.  

It was a well executed, entertaining movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

I find it amusing that the majority of people in this thread that didn't understand or potentially care for EEAAO are enamored by Maverick. Says quite a bit in my opinion.

I understood EEAAO and still didn’t care for it.

I did not expect to like Top Gun 2 and I was surprised to find it highly entertaining and fun to watch. They did a good job IMO.

What are you implying that says about someone?

Just because a movie wins Best Picture and some people don’t like it, does not mean those people are incapable of understanding good movies or unsophisticated in their tastes. It just means they don’t like that particular movie.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

What says a lot is people who discount Maverick because it has "Top Gun" in the title.  

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I did not expect to like Top Gun 2 and I was surprised to find it highly entertaining and fun to watch. They did a good job IMO.

Just because a movie wins Best Picture and some people don’t like it, does not mean those people are incapable of understanding good movies or unsophisticated in their tastes. It just means they don’t like that particular movie.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

200 (3).gif

trying-not-to-laugh-stefon-meyers.gif.66984ff2eaa4f4c188611ffffb5bdc83.gif

Maybe Fast & Furious X is more your speed. Thats if you dont get lost following all of the Yellowstones.
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, MoJames said:

I know this isn't directed at me. First I liked both films. Second, I can enjoy blockbusters, indie films, experimental films and documentaries, so my taste is pretty wide.

Maverick was a well executed blockbuster. My knock on it is that it's a blockbuster. But I also give them credit for A. making a sequel that works and B. making a blockbuster that is as technically well made as it is. 

EEAAO is unique and art that is well executed. They took risks and those risks work. The movie that was made likely would not have mass appeal and that's ok.

To me as entertainment - neck and neck. Where EEAAO stands out - technically a riskier movie that threads the needle, where Top Gun is safe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Top Gun was a fun, popcorn movie. A blockbuster. And it was fantastic, though it had very little depth. It also, rightfully, didn't win Best Picture.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Top Gun was a fun, popcorn movie. A blockbuster. And it was fantastic, though it had very little depth. It also, rightfully, didn't win Best Picture.

It was a weird year for nominess. I think Everything Everywhere Whatever would have been nominated any year. Same for All Quiet on the Western Front and Banshees.  Fabelmans, too, now that I think about it. Spielberg always (likely rightfully) gets the benefit of the doubt.

Tar would have got a best actress nod and Women Talking best adapted screenplay nomination. 

I didn't care for all of those movies, but I see the quality that drew recognition. The rest of the nominated films are sort of all over the place. I liked Triange of Sadness, but would never think it's a best picture of the year.

Since Avatar didn't stream, I didn't and likely won't see it. Maybe it should have been up for best animated feature, but it's hard to tell what proportion of live action and animation would be allowed.

With the studios avoiding anything challenging or likely to earn less than $100mm, there's a big hole in the quality movie spectrum. No studio wants to make a Network, Out of Africa, Patton, or Barry Lyndon anymore. You may not like all of those movies (I don't), but it's easy to see what they represent. 

The Oscars are in real danger of becoming not very interesting anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I find it amusing that certain people have determined EEAAO is the measuring stick for who appreciates good films and who is better off sticking to Marvel movies. In the history of movies, we have now found the ONE film that can do that.

There is no room for subjective tastes in this discussion. You either like the movie (you “get it”) and you’re a film aficionado, or you don’t like the movie (you “don’t get it”) and you’re a person who struggles to understand things and has generally poor taste.

My favorite movies are The Godfather 1 and 2. I reverse the order occasionally. Both widely regarded as being amongst the top 10 greatest films ever made. But I know people who don’t like them and that’s completely fine, it says nothing about them other than they didn’t enjoy watching The Godfather. Maybe mob movies or violence aren’t their thing, I don’t care.

Some of you remind me of Derka when he first discovered scripted drama television.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I find it amusing that certain people have determined EEAAO is the measuring stick for who appreciates good films and who is better off sticking to Marvel movies. In the history of movies, we have now found the ONE film that can do that.

There is no room for subjective tastes in this discussion. You either like the movie (you “get it”) and you’re a film aficionado, or you don’t like the movie (you “don’t get it”) and you’re a person who struggles to understand things and has generally poor taste.

My favorite movies are The Godfather 1 and 2. I reverse the order occasionally. Both widely regarded as being amongst the top 10 greatest films ever made. But I know people who don’t like them and that’s completely fine, it says nothing about them other than they didn’t enjoy watching The Godfather. Maybe mob movies or violence aren’t their thing, I don’t care.

Some of you remind me of Derka when he first discovered scripted drama television.

Want to have an opinion on a movie like EEAAO? First, pay attention and watch the entire movie.

Then, use your words and describe why you didn’t like it. Or why it was overrated. Cite examples, for example. Was it pacing? Acting? Too pretentious?

EEAAO sold me with the Ratatouille storyline. It exemplified how they tied so many concepts together. An amazing movie on so many levels.

6 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Then, use your words and describe why you didn’t like it. Or why it was overrated. Cite examples, for example. Was it pacing? Acting? Too pretentious?

The 2nd half was highly repetitive to the point of tedium.  The attempted humor was painfully unfunny.  OMG, buttplug trophies!  Hot dog fingers!  Googly eyed rocks!

To me.

Edited by WBT

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Want to have an opinion on a movie like EEAAO? First, pay attention and watch the entire movie.

EEAAO sold me with the Ratatouille storyline. It exemplified how they tied so many concepts together. An amazing movie on so many levels.

The best thing about EEAAO, by far, was Michelle Yeoh's acting. She was phenomenal, and I had no real problem with her winning over Blanchette even though Tar was my second favorite movie of the year. The mother/daughter and husband/wife storylines at the core of the movie also worked relatively well. The Wong Kar Wai homages were enough to put the movie in my personal top 25 for 2022.

But, for me, the non-stop omg LULZ humor got really, really tiresome and unfunny, and I was very ready for the movie to end. It's not a difficult movie "to get". It's just not everyone's cup of tea, and that's ok. Genre movies can be like that.

But also fuck the knuckle draggers in this thread who just can't help but get themselves worked up over anything of color receiving adulation (OMG I can't even open my algorithmically-curated Facebook feed without race being thrown in my face by woke Hollywood argghhh!!)     

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The best thing about EEAAO, by far, was Michelle Yeoh's acting. She was phenomenal, and I had no real problem with her winning over Blanchette even though Tar was my second favorite movie of the year. The mother/daughter and husband/wife storylines at the core of the movie also worked relatively well. The Wong Kar Wai homages were enough to put the movie in my personal top 25 for 2022.

But, for me, the non-stop omg LULZ humor got really, really tiresome and unfunny, and I was very ready for the movie to end. It's not a difficult movie "to get". It's just not everyone's cup of tea, and that's ok. Genre movies can be like that.

But also fuck the knuckle draggers in this thread who just can't help but get themselves worked up over anything of color receiving adulation (OMG I can't even open my algorithmically-curated Facebook feed without race being thrown in my face by woke Hollywood argghhh!!)     

Great post. I quit the movie because I didn't care about anything or anyone in it enough to put in the effort to follow the plot. I'm happy for those who enjoyed it and maybe even got something out of it.

I very much agree with your last paragraph. On a lesser note concerning this movie winning, I think declaring it a victory for Asians is overstated. The battlefield for women in minorities in the film industry was getting the chance to work based on proven merit; it's not winning the best picture Oscar.

There is great respect for Asian film extending over decades from Kurasawa to John Woo to Ang Lee. I've seen more Korean quality movies and series over the last few years than just about any other category. I don't know that that respect leads to hiring people who look Asian into jobs that lead to being on the creative team or directing. 

I congratulate the winners of the Academy Awards in the big categories. Who cares if I didn't like the movie? To create something great, you must take risks. The risks they took worked for many theater goers (man, that sounds dated) and not for all. That's as it should be.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Great post. I quit the movie because I didn't care about anything or anyone in it enough to put in the effort to follow the plot. I'm happy for those who enjoyed it and maybe even got something out of it.

I very much agree with your last paragraph. On a lesser note concerning this movie winning, I think declaring it a victory for Asians is overstated. The battlefield for women in minorities in the film industry was getting the chance to work based on proven merit; it's not winning the best picture Oscar.

There is great respect for Asian film extending over decades from Kurasawa to John Woo to Ang Lee. I've seen more Korean quality movies and series over the last few years than just about any other category. I don't know that that respect leads to hiring people who look Asian into jobs that lead to being on the creative team or directing. 

I congratulate the winners of the Academy Awards in the big categories. Who cares if I didn't like the movie? To create something great, you must take risks. The risks they took worked for many theater goers (man, that sounds dated) and not for all. That's as it should be.

Good post.  But damn, I still hate your avatar for killing John Wayne. Long Hair was a huge POS.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Good post.  But damn, I still hate your avatar for killing John Wayne. Long Hair was a huge POS.  

I'm a big Bruce Dern fan and have been since I was a teenager. When I looked for an avatar, I checked him out. This facial expression is classic Dern. You have no idea what's about to happen. He was the perfect choice to kill John Wayne and wad up the bespectacled cowboy's glasses. 

I've grown less enamored of Wayne over the years. He made some great movies with John Ford though.

• 2 months later...

I hope Dano wins an Oscar in the next decade. Killed in the Fabelmans. Extraordinary as the Riddler. 

Automatic Oscar if he plays the Golden State Killer or Zodiac. I hope he catches a good script. Dude has been grinding since There Will Be Blood. Stood toe to toe with Daniel Day-Lewis. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis