2023 Oscars Thread

Beau Vine

I didn’t watch The Oscars because I was preoccupied with TLOU and we had company over. I do like The Oscars as a loose guide for what films may be worth checking out, knowing that I might discover a few gems I wouldn’t have seen otherwise, and also knowing I won’t like some of them, nor will I agree with every award selection.

Like most people, I really enjoyed Top Gun Maverick. It was surprisingly fun to watch. I realize that isn’t the type of film the Best Picture award typically goes to, but I think it’s unfortunate that a movie can be that well made and appeal to an extremely broad audience, and not have a chance at winning. Oh well.

I thought The Fablemans and All Quiet on the Western Front were both excellent. Also really loved Triangle of Sadness but I wouldn’t expect it to win.

Banshees didn’t do it for me as much as everyone else. I think I get it, but I probably wasn’t in the right mood to receive and appreciate it. I think I like it more in hindsight than I did upon viewing, so maybe it’s worth a rewatch.

Elvis was okay but forgettable. So forgettable that I’m having a hard time thinking of another descriptor.

I did not like EEAAO. I find the topic of multiverses interesting, and I think the movie addresses some important themes, but it felt like someone mixed Avengers (which I don’t particularly like) with Inception (which I loved). It took me several attempted viewings to power through it, which I would’ve probably quit after the first attempt if not for the hype it was getting. I tried pretty hard and it’s just not for me. That’s okay.

I did not watch Tár, Women Talking, or Avatar.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Then why do you watch? This has been a major theme/thread of the Oscars for a long time.

I don't watch, actually. I use the Oscars (via secondhand-- online, trending news, water-cooler/party small talk) like wildturkey does as a general gauge for what movies have artistic merit and worth the time to watch.

But in the world today, you can't escape the latest macro-news and on this monday everyone is either a refined Hollywood critic or a banking and finance bail out expert, or both, thanks to the attention economy we live in.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I don't watch, actually. I use the Oscars (via secondhand-- online, trending news, water-cooler/party small talk) like wildturkey does as a general gauge for what movies have artistic merit and worth the time to watch.

But in the world today, you can't escape the latest macro-news and on this monday everyone is either a refined Hollywood critic or a banking and finance bail out expert, or both, thanks to the attention economy we live in.

You can easily ignore it. You CHOOSE not to.

No one is making you come in here and post on the Oscars. Hell, no one makes you read any layman commentary on the Oscars.

It's really easy to look at lists of winners or simply find professionals to give their real opinion. Hell, if you wanted to see movies that "have artistic merit and worth the time to watch" you should just look at the nominees a month ago and be done with the Oscars talk then and there. Because there is a list of movies that meet your criteria.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

No one is making you come in here and post on the Oscars. Hell, no one makes you read any layman commentary on the Oscars.

It's really easy to look at lists of winners or simply find professionals to give their real opinion. Hell, if you wanted to see movies that "have artistic merit and worth the time to watch" you should just look at the nominees a month ago and be done with the Oscars talk then and there. Because there is a list of movies that meet your criteria.

You are right of course, I can and generally do ignore, but I thought it was worth mentioning on the Oscars thread how exhausting that aspect of the Oscars-- especially the Monday morning QB'ing-- has gotten. And probably you've been around a lot longer than I have and so you say it's ALWAYS been this way and it's probably just all the twitter/social media prevalence that makes it feel especially bull-horned today.

• Fuck You 2

13 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Sometimes the best pic actually wins.  Sometimes the popular choice wins.  Typical academy

Agreed. I just wish the best picture didn't always seem to sweep the other awards also.  Because If I don't agree with the best picture it's likely I don't agree with the rest that movie wins lol. It seems to have been like that lately.  Spread it out some!

Favorite part was Encino Man winning.  Wheeze the juice all night, buuddy.

Glad Top Gun won something...because like they said that movie got tons of people back in the theater.  My boss said he doesn't like Cruise or jets...but he loved seeing Top Gun with family in the theater.  It think I saw it 3 times with different people

I haven't tried to watch Everywhere blah blah because my friend/old college roommate/RTF major told me it was really hard to watch and figure out what its about. And we watch a lot of movies together...I trust him.

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Or, @HamsterHookah can go to Rottentomatoes Metacritic at any time and use their search and filter functions to learn what's getting good ratings and, from there, read some reviews and decide what he might like.

But don't bring that CR bullshit in here.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Same comment to you: Who's this "we" you're talking about? I'm going to presume you're not among the people who thought it "had no plot."

That's not "discerning some transcendent thing," that's more like, "how many drugs were you on when you watched it?"

Fair enough.  I misunderstood your point.  It had a plot.  It was fine.  To me it was like giving best picture to John Dies at the End, which was also fine.

Do the drugs help or hurt?  I guess they never hurt.

BTW, I did not know this, but today I found out that one of the two directors of EEAAO was the guy uncontrollably hitting things with his dick in the Turn Down for What video, and that he was also responsible for that "Omniboat" movie where a guy fantazises that he's an ultrafast cigarette boat called "Lay'n Pipe." 

Together they also made Swiss Army Man, where Paul Dano rides the farting corpse of Harry Potter around like a jetski.  

Those make EEAAO seem like a Frank Capra film.

Edited by Liquor and Poker
This shit's all fucked up

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Green Book. The movie you are looking for is Green Book. 

Bingo, yep. The ol' fish man green book movie.

13 minutes ago, austingirl said:

You're both wrong. The correct answer is Crash.

Yep.. the ol' fish man green book crash movie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Every time someone non-white wins an Oscar there are complaints that it's "political." As if it couldn't possibly be that the voters truly thought the winners were the best in their categories.

It's the opposite that happened though, did you miss that? Someone white won and people were complaining it's political and it couldn't possibly be that voters truly thought the winner was the best in the category.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Green Book. The movie you are looking for is Green Book. 

Bad movie, but not close to the fish fucking one.  Or Crash.  Or Shakespeare in Love. Those are the low-hanging recent fruit.

Don't get me started on Midnight Cowboy over Butch Cassidy.  Watch them both now.

And then there's the Artist, which was like a grad school film experiment.  Not "bad", but not a film most people would ever sit through.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fair enough.  I misunderstood your point.  It had a plot.  It was fine.  To me it was like giving best picture to John Dies at the End, which was also fine.

Do the drugs help or hurt?  I guess they never hurt.

BTW, I did not know this, but today I found out that one of the two directors of EEAAO was the guy uncontrollably hitting things with his dick in the Turn Down for What video, and that he was also responsible for that "Omniboat" movie where a guy fantazises that he's an ultrafast cigarette boat called "Lay'n Pipe." 

Together they also made Swiss Army Man, where Paul Dano rides the farting corpse of Harry Potter around like a jetski.  

Those make EEAAO seem like a Frank Capra film.

You went through all of that summary, and didn't mention that they made a movie about a guy dying after taking the length from a horse? Those dudes are odd ducks.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I didn’t watch The Oscars because I was preoccupied with TLOU and we had company over. I do like The Oscars as a loose guide for what films may be worth checking out, knowing that I might discover a few gems I wouldn’t have seen otherwise, and also knowing I won’t like some of them, nor will I agree with every award selection.

Like most people, I really enjoyed Top Gun Maverick. It was surprisingly fun to watch. I realize that isn’t the type of film the Best Picture award typically goes to, but I think it’s unfortunate that a movie can be that well made and appeal to an extremely broad audience, and not have a chance at winning. Oh well.

I thought The Fablemans and All Quiet on the Western Front were both excellent. Also really loved Triangle of Sadness but I wouldn’t expect it to win.

Banshees didn’t do it for me as much as everyone else. I think I get it, but I probably wasn’t in the right mood to receive and appreciate it. I think I like it more in hindsight than I did upon viewing, so maybe it’s worth a rewatch.

Elvis was okay but forgettable. So forgettable that I’m having a hard time thinking of another descriptor.

I did not like EEAAO. I find the topic of multiverses interesting, and I think the movie addresses some important themes, but it felt like someone mixed Avengers (which I don’t particularly like) with Inception (which I loved). It took me several attempted viewings to power through it, which I would’ve probably quit after the first attempt if not for the hype it was getting. I tried pretty hard and it’s just not for me. That’s okay.

I did not watch Tár, Women Talking, or Avatar.

wild_turkey get's it.  

EEAAO was the 3rd or 4th best of the nominated films (IMO, The Whale was the best picture).

33 minutes ago, austingirl said:

You're both wrong. The correct answer is Crash.

You're not wrong. Crash vs. Green Book for worst modern best picture of all time would be a too close to call race. Shape of Water not my cup of tea, but not remotely as terrible as those two pieces of garbage mascaraing as cinema.  

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

It's the opposite that happened though, did you miss that? Someone white won and people were complaining it's political and it couldn't possibly be that voters truly thought the winner was the best in the category.

Yep yep, finally getting some representation and recognition for non-white actors in popular media... end of civilization it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, YChang said:

Yep yep, finally getting some representation and recognition for non-white actors in popular media... end of civilization it is. 

Are you slow? Again, the opposite happened. Opposite. 

diametrically different; of a contrary kind.
"a word that is opposite in meaning to another"
  • Fuck You 3

59 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Every time someone non-white wins an Oscar there are complaints that it's "political." As if it couldn't possibly be that the voters truly thought the winners were the best in their categories.

Yeah that's not how the world works and certainly not how my work computer works.  You cannot even do your normal job without the Oscar CR being shoved in your face. 

31 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It feels like an easy give.  I'm not sure I can name another "best song," and I probably won't remember this one by summer.

Wait - don't they usually give these to James Bond movies?

How about Zippadeedoodah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5

17 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

You can't remember ANY of them?  Oh well, Que Sera Sera.

14 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

oh Tex, You Light Up My Life!

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Dude, didn't you guys hear? He can't remember any Best Song winner. He's Shallow. So just Lose Yourself and Let It Go.

You won't convince me you didn't google those.

3 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

That's just The Way We Were in the 80's - it was awesome!  Thanks For the Memory!

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Man I was going through the 80s. From 80-87 every winner was a pop song from that year. Repeated air play.

10 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Wow! Can You Feel The Love Tonight?

12 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

No, buddy, it's you- you Take My Breath Away!

Same.  

Just now, TexLonghorn said:

Actually, Que Sera Sera was my mom's favorite song, and whenever we'd roll our eyes at her singing it, she'd remind us that it won an Oscar.  I looked up the later ones, but Que Sera Sera wining Best Song is one of those forever memories for me.

I remembered "Nobody Does it Better" and that's why I made the James Bond comment.  But turns out it didn't win because someone cobbled together a movie so "You Light Up My Life" could win an Oscar.  But apparently Billie Eilish won last year for a Bond song I've never heard, and Adele won for Skyfall - heard but totally forgotten. So I was actually right despite myself.

4 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Also The Whale is atrocious and one of the worst movies I've seen in years

i just can't bring myself to watch it... and the description earlier in the thread that 'it's a thin person's version of what a fat person's life is like' or whatever...yeah, no thanks.