2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, DougO said:

How many should be retained?

Edwards could be a serious candidate for DC if Quinn leaves for an HC job, which seems like a strong possibility. Leon Lett seems to be doing well getting production out of a D-line that has had to shuffle a lot of players due to injuries, but may be looking for a promotion.  I'm ready for a new offense brain trust. Hopefully Kellen moves on. 

I think Dan Quinn is gone but I’m not interested in replacing him with Edwards. Any chance we can get Zimmer out of retirement?

I wish we could do what teams like the Rams and Fecals did with their QBs. The Fecals are one game away from the SB. They blew it all up a few years after winning the SB with Foles and sent Wentz (who requested a trade) away. Roseman got a heck of a deal and set the team up for the future. Goff got the Rams to a SB but McVay was done with Goff and sent his ass away for Stafford and they won a SB. Sure they had a horrible season but injuries to key players were huge. They also sent away too many picks for years and that hurts them moving forward but they won a SB after moving away from Goff. Minny is in a similar spot as we are. Maybe the Giants and Tennessee as well. Detroit will find out once they get more pieces that they will only get so far with Goff (or maybe he will have a renaissance of some sort.) Minny has better weapons than we do but they have no defense. 

We can get a new OC and a QB whisperer but I firmly believe we’ve seen Dak’s ceiling. Maybe he has that one year Matt Ryan had with the Falcons when they brought in KS but I doubt it. His contract makes it harder to bring in FA guys and the FO and Jones clan don’t usually like to get FAs. Zeke wants to play for cheaper. Fine fine. Kewl kewl. He’s basically a cardboard shell of himself. We can get Dak a shiny new RB and WR with our first two draft picks and then load up on defense…but I’m just not that excited about our chances. My mood is  just a product of 27 years of mostly failure. That’s why I’m pissy I guess. I wish we could draft a QB…but we don’t have the ability and this years Draft may not be the right one for us. I wish we could draft Duggan as a backup… this years draft isn’t good for WRs…that’s what I’ve read.  It would be great to get Bijan…to compliment Pollard but I wish we had enough draft capital to get both Rojo and Bijan…that way Pollard can heal and we have a three headed running game monster. This just sucks. The team is good enough not to blow up but Dak’s contract is a killer and an anchor. And I like Dak too. So it was hard to get to the realization that the best decision is to move off of him as quickly as possible bc our D is worldclass and just needs a few more pieces. Oh well…I know we are stuck with Dak and his contract and we will likely make the playoffs again next season  and not get within shouting distance of the SB. Fucking frustrating. 

Edited by Nicole44

Please please please don't let the Cowboys draft Bijon.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy much less someone that I really want to enjoy watch playing and hope to have a good long career.  I don't wish the JJ stink on anyone, but I really don't want it on anyone I like.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Please please please don't let the Cowboys draft Bijon.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy much less someone that I really want to enjoy watch playing and hope to have a good long career.  I don't wish the JJ stink on anyone, but I really don't want it on anyone I like.

I think he’ll be gone by the time Dallas picks. But Rojo will likely still be there. Most mock drafts have Bijan going to the Lions…at least the sites I frequent anyway 

Not offered new contracts:

In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis, according to Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Okeedokee…

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hate said:

Even as 'tarded as Jerry is, he isnt looking to do that this year. Need to draft CBs and owners. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Not offered new contracts:  In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis, according to Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Okeedokee…

GONE...

• Sr Def asst George Edwards
  • RB coach Skip Peete
  • OL coach Joe Philbin
  • Asst Def Line coach Leon Lett
  • Asst Head Coach Rob Davis

So assistants are some of scapegoats.  Gotta get rid of Kellen Moore now.  Problem is most quality OC candidates won't be interested in the job because of the terrible Dallas organization situation.

Kinda funny that Rob Davis got let go -- he was brought in by McCarthy.  😋

Rob Davis, a long-time NFL deep snapper (1993-2008) and former player and director of player engagement under Mike McCarthy (2008-17) with the Green Bay Packers, serves as assistant head coach under McCarthy in Dallas.

Screenshot_20230126-103200_kindlephoto-5614394.png.e102fee3a1dc8146b5922040a196c39e.png

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, Hate said:

275D30FE-BA9A-41AF-A351-E28E70808671.jpeg

The McCarthy Chronicles: Cowboys let down by coaching on the big stage

Mike McCarthy deserves some blame for the Cowboys loss to the 49ers.

Interesting read... Some mistakes made in 49er game by McCarthy.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/26/23569933/cowboys-mike-mccarthy-coaching-49ers-playoffs-divisional-round

12 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

They fired Leon Lett after that DL wrecked crap all year? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Scapegoats…no rhyme or reason to it. Dak is a main part of the problem. KM is a Jerruh guy so he stays no matter what…they fired the QB coach even though he did wonders with Cooper Rush. Dak getting people fired and his contract starting next year is number two cap hit IN THE LEAGUE at QB. Let that sink in as we fire people who likely had something to do with the team’s success and not failure. With Minny they have to build a defense. With the Cowboys we have to try and add some weapons because Dak waivers from mediocre to above average to below average over the course of an entire season. But let’s fire a bunch of dudes bc Jerruh is a fucking moron. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

At this point, never thought I’d say this but Dak is a much bigger issue than McCarthy. Even though I never thought MMcC should have been hired in the first place. Dak is a huge cap hit…keeping us from doing what we should in the off-season. Jerruh is the MAIN culprit but we all know this. Terrible Dak contract. Stuck with Zeke who basically had 100 yds over his last 50 carries. Pollard will take time to heal. Jerruh and his dysfunctional Arky family hate getting FAs. We need another CB but Jerruh doesn’t like doing that in the draft. We have to have at least one big time WR. And we need an elite RB and another TE. This I guess has to come from the draft because of Dak’s hit on the cap. We have to move fast to take advantage of how well the defense has been doing and we need some pieces there too. Too good to blow up the team and not good enough for the NFC championship this sucks…

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Of course he's staying. Who would they replace him with? They aren't paying 2 firsts or even 1 for Payton just to get a guy who's head coaching career is almost identical to McCarthy. They aren't firing McCarthy just to bring in some unproven coordinator or fail to retread. The guy went 12-5 in back to back years and didn't do anything particularly wrong this year. He's hamstrung with horrible contracts on a RB and a QB who's regressed from his rookie year. 

For the people wanting Quinn there's no reason to believe he would accept the job. He's McCarthy's buddy to the point he offered to leave on his own after last season if McCarthy thought that would help him. A guy that loyal isn't going to take over after you fired his buddy to hire him. 

McCarthy is fine. They need a new offensive system and offensive coaching to try to rebuild Dak's consistency from his 2016 season. That starts with putting better talent around him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

At this point, never thought I’d say this but Dak is a much bigger issue than McCarthy. Even though I never thought MMcC should have been hired in the first place. Dak is a huge cap hit…keeping us from doing what we should in the off-season. Jerruh is the MAIN culprit but we all know this. Terrible Dak contract. Stuck with Zeke who basically had 100 yds over his last 50 carries. Pollard will take time to heal. Jerruh and his dysfunctional Arky family hate getting FAs. We need another CB but Jerruh doesn’t like doing that in the draft. We have to have at least one big time WR. And we need an elite RB and another TE. This I guess has to come from the draft because of Dak’s hit on the cap. We have to move fast to take advantage of how well the defense has been doing and we need some pieces there too. Too good to blow up the team and not good enough for the NFC championship this sucks…

The DAK contract is in line with a lot of other current NFL QB contracts... Two years ago the Cowboys either had to: 1) pay it, 2) trade DAK, or 3) release DAK.

The contract that I know really screwed the Cowboys was Zeke's ridiculously stupid 6yr contract... a six-year, $90 million extension with $50 million of that guaranteed

NFL teams just can't waste that much capital on a RB...  it's punished the Cowboys roster for 4 years.

Good NFL teams would cut bait with Zeke now... But just watch dumbass Jerruh rework this deal and bring Zeke back in 2023

Screenshot_20230126-140019_kindlephoto-16432165.thumb.png.d25d45fb3fd34b302f134aad09e8d562.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

BTW:  Zeke has no guaranteed money left

"Before we go any further, let’s run down Elliott’s current contract. It’s important to indicate that he has already been paid out all of his guaranteed money. He has no new money coming his way unless he’s on an NFL roster going forward. "

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/24/23568605/why-cowboys-must-part-ways-ezekiel-elliott-contract 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The DAK contract is in line with a lot of other current NFL QB contracts... Two years ago the Cowboys either had to: 1) pay it, 2) trade DAK, or 3) release DAK.

The contract that I know really screwed the Cowboys was Zeke's ridiculously stupid 6yr contract... a six-year, $90 million extension with $50 million of that guaranteed

NFL teams just can't waste that much capital on a RB...  it's punished the Cowboys roster for 4 years.

Good NFL teams would cut bait with Zeke now... But just watch dumbass Jerruh rework this deal and bring Zeke back in 2023

Screenshot_20230126-140019_kindlephoto-16432165.thumb.png.d25d45fb3fd34b302f134aad09e8d562.png

The Ticket had a breakdown this morning about SB winners and QB cap allocation.  Brady with TB had the highest % of cap for a super bowl winning qb at 12%.  Peyton Manning was the highest to make it to a SB at 18%, but lost to the Saints.  Dak will be at 22% next season.  QB is the most important position, but it seems that these outrageous contracts for them only keep you in the discussion, and there is always just going to be a better built team with either a really good QB on a rookie contract or a bus driver QB.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Ticket had a breakdown this morning about SB winners and QB cap allocation.  Brady with TB had the highest % of cap for a super bowl winning qb at 12%.  Peyton Manning was the highest to make it to a SB at 18%, but lost to the Saints.  Dak will be at 22% next season.  QB is the most important position, but it seems that these outrageous contracts for them only keep you in the discussion, and there is always just going to be a better built team with either a really good QB on a rookie contract or a bus driver QB.

Interesting... 12% for Brady

Wonder if that's still true with Rams winning last year??

Mahomes probably changes that stat if he wins the 2023 Super Bowl maybe??

Here are the 2022 salary rankings for the top-20 quarterbacks based on average annual value, per Over The Cap.

Screenshot_20230126-144936_kindlephoto-19384907.thumb.png.ef86a41e43a2d86fd7968a3382d0264a.png

Edited by LTtxfan

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting... 12% for Brady

Wonder if that's still true with Rams winning last year??

Mahomes probably changes that stat if he wins the 2023 Super Bowl maybe??

Here are the 2022 salary rankings for the top-20 quarterbacks based on average annual value, per Over The Cap.

Screenshot_20230126-144936_kindlephoto-19384907.thumb.png.ef86a41e43a2d86fd7968a3382d0264a.png

I think they said Stafford's cap hit was 10% of the cap last year, but that doesn't seem correct.

Dan probably still has deep emotional scars about how Brady tore apart and threw asunder all he had built as a HC.  I can see him not wanting to walk into anything that isn't almost perfect.  He's probably going to get a rep for being too picky and get locked into DC role for life....and frankly may be where he belongs.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Kinda underwhelming, Dak continues to disappoint and underperform as starter at the most important position on the most famous sports team in the world.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Only thing that gives these guys a chance, honestly. The stars would still have to completely align on the offensive side of the ball to get over the hump.

• Hook 'Em 2

Scapegoats…no rhyme or reason to it. Dak is a main part of the problem. KM is a Jerruh guy so he stays no matter what…they fired the QB coach even though he did wonders with Cooper Rush. Dak getting people fired and his contract starting next year is number two cap hit IN THE LEAGUE at QB. Let that sink in as we fire people who likely had something to do with the team’s success and not failure. With Minny they have to build a defense. With the Cowboys we have to try and add some weapons because Dak waivers from mediocre to above average to below average over the course of an entire season. But let’s fire a bunch of dudes bc Jerruh is a fucking moron. 

Quit huffing paint Nicole. Where are you seeing the QB coach got let go? That would be Doug Nussmeyer and he needs to be fired. On his watch Dak has lost his mojo, started making awful decisions, throwing to the wrong uniforms, and screwed his mechanics. He should have his head on a spike. In his presser today mike did not endorse any remaining offensive coach including moore or Nussmeyer. Said he was still evaluating.

Leon Lett was a holdover from Garrett. He was demoted from DL coach to asst with McCarthy. The interior line has been weak against the run. Fuck Joe Philbin; he was here as a friend of MM and sucks. This line hasn’t protected Dak adequately. I don’t have an issue with any of these dismissals. DQ is back and he’ll get some mo better assts. s&c has been an issue. Bye.

I’m glad to see these changes and hope we get more of them. If a coach isn’t driving his unit the gtfo. They are being scapegoated because McCarthy was never in jeopardy. Glad to see moves to improve.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Dan probably still has deep emotional scars about how Brady tore apart and threw asunder all he had built as a HC.  I can see him not wanting to walk into anything that isn't almost perfect.  He's probably going to get a rep for being too picky and get locked into DC role for life....and frankly may be where he belongs.  

Yeah, I heard Mickey Spagnola today say he believes Quinn is hoping for a better situation than the current HC jobs that are open.  Not having a QB nor early draft picks to fix it are not good situations for a new coach.

Personally, I'm not that impressed by the 2023 QB Class for the NFL Draft...

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Always thought the Zeke pick over Jalen Ramsey was a joke and even more after they were forced to give Zeke a monster 2nd contract.

Dak being 22% of the salary cap is bad. Would draft a QB high if one is enticing.

Should draft a QB every year for the next 5 years at least. 

12 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

they were forced to give Zeke a monster 2nd contract.

They weren’t forced to do anything. Zeke was still on his rookie deal and chose to no show camp and pre season to try and land a new deal. The Cowboys were under no obligation to cave and could have forced him to play or basically quit. Instead, our fantastic GM decided to give a huge contract. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Saw old Redskins receiver Ricky Sanders out at 1618 Asian Fusion tonight and told him to suck my Cowboy fan dick ...

okay maybe not exactly but I thought it as I took a piss when he was announced by the house band.

nfl_lhotsb_ph-10_rs.jpg

I went to school with Ricky. He's actually a really nice guy for a super jock. I heard he got a little big-headed for a while when he got paid NFL money, but he's a genuine good dude. I'm told he's a bit of a golf shark nowdays. 

• Like 1