2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

The weakness of both McCarthy and Dak could be greatly softened if Dallas could get a really good OC that can get the best of the talent he has, and is far more situationally aware than any Cowboys coach in the last couple of decades.

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

I went to school with Ricky. He's actually a really nice guy for a super jock. I heard he got a little big-headed for a while when he got paid NFL money, but he's a genuine good dude. I'm told he's a bit of a golf shark nowdays. 

Jokes aside I had to remind myself of his career and I forgot he had that monster Super Bowl performance along with Williams and Timmy Smith. Just the second quarter alone he had 5 receptions 168 yards and two touchdowns. Insane.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've had to avoid these topics because fuck. I'll say that Moore has to fucking go. I'm ready to discuss QB options, but it really seems to me that 90% of Dak's interceptions are just over the middle or out routes, usually when they are the third or fourth options. I've noticed that pretty much every passing play we run has a one or more guys on curl routs over the middle and one or more guys on an out route. Once Dak passes on the first two options, he goes to those outlets, and the defender already has a step or two because they know it's coming. Dak needs to see it and not make the throw, but the fact that the play call has the same shit every time is infuriating. I'd can Moore yesterday. We are gonna have Dak for at least a few more years and hope he can stop that shit, but we need to have a QB contingency plan, which is difficult when you're not at the top of the draft. Also, fuck Kellen Moore. That teenage looking worthless mother fucker. 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, DougO said:

The weakness of both McCarthy and Dak could be greatly softened if Dallas could get a really good OC that can get the best of the talent he has, and is far more situationally aware than any Cowboys coach in the last couple of decades.

I agree somewhat. I also believe Dallas needs to bring a better QB coach in to shape up Dak since we are going to be stuck with him a few more years. Draft a QB soon to groom him as Daks replacement. I think thats the best they can do as Jj, McCarthy, Dak, and Zeke are staying. Wish for the best in the draft for the QB they choose to turn into top tier material.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Jokes aside I had to remind myself of his career and I forgot he had that monster Super Bowl performance along with Williams and Timmy Smith. Just the second quarter alone he had 5 receptions 168 yards and two touchdowns. Insane.

He also caught a pass from President Reagan on the white house lawn, and they couldn't have chosen a better receiver for the honor.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've had to avoid these topics because fuck. I'll say that Moore has to fucking go. I'm ready to discuss QB options, but it really seems to me that 90% of Dak's interceptions are just over the middle or out routes, usually when they are the third or fourth options. I've noticed that pretty much every passing play we run has a one or more guys on curl routs over the middle and one or more guys on an out route. Once Dak passes on the first two options, he goes to those outlets, and the defender already has a step or two because they know it's coming. Dak needs to see it and not make the throw, but the fact that the play call has the same shit every time is infuriating. I'd can Moore yesterday. We are gonna have Dak for at least a few more years and hope he can stop that shit, but we need to have a QB contingency plan, which is difficult when you're not at the top of the draft. Also, fuck Kellen Moore. That teenage looking worthless mother fucker. 

it looks to me like dak doesn't know/remember what the coverage is and where the defenders are.  i think the first INT he had on sunday he threw it straight to the CB in cover 2.  you know where your receivers are running routes.  you have a man in motion to tell you if the defense is playing man or zone.  between that man in motion and the snap you gotta know where your green areas areas are but dak doesn't seem to know for even the most basic of coverage packages. 

44 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it looks to me like dak doesn't know/remember what the coverage is and where the defenders are.  i think the first INT he had on sunday he threw it straight to the CB in cover 2.  you know where your receivers are running routes.  you have a man in motion to tell you if the defense is playing man or zone.  between that man in motion and the snap you gotta know where your green areas areas are but dak doesn't seem to know for even the most basic of coverage packages. 

I think neither he nor Moore understand how predictable the middle of the field curl routes have become. I could be off, but that's just how I've seen a bunch of his interceptions. Looks to a few options, then throws to the middle of the field at a curl route, and the DB or Linebacker is right there, and on review you see that they started their move to the route when Dak looks off his second option. It's on Moore to stop with the predictable routes, and for Dak to either tell him it's not working or at least don't make the fucking throw.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

13 was just as guilty as Dak on that throw. He didn’t come back to the ball like he should have.

Dak’s girlfriend of two years announced their breakup this week. Perhaps she was as embarrassed as we were.

Let’s look at it another way. Was she his kryptonite? Their relationship sort of coincides with his suckitude. Remember Romo and Jessica Simpson? Troy and Lorrie Morgan? Pussy can certainly get in the way of greatness. We can only hope it solves Dak’s problems.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Dak’s girlfriend of two years announced their breakup this week. Perhaps she was as embarrassed as we were.

Let’s look at it another way. Was she his kryptonite? Their relationship sort of coincides with his suckitude. Remember Romo and Jessica Simpson? Troy and Lorrie Morgan? Pussy can certainly get in the way of greatness. We can only hope it solves Dak’s problems.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

Jerry must be paying him $5mill per year or something. There’s no salary cap for coaches…

jerry knows he is going to die soon.  he also knows our defense is pretty salty and the only thing that gives this team a chance to win because the quarterback isn't going to do anything but fart and fall down.  dan quinn is a great coordinator and the reason for the success of the defense.  jerry wants to win another super bowl before he dies more than he loves his children.  I wouldn't be shocked if quinn was getting $10MM for 2023.

• Hook 'Em 2

Article on clearing cap space.  Don't be surprised if the DAK contract gets reworked to free space.  Jerruh/Stephen gonna kick the can down the road on cap management to attempt to win a Championship next season... 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/27/23572965/cowboys-free-agents-2023-salary-cap-space-stephen-jones

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Article on clearing cap space.  Don't be surprised if the DAK contract gets reworked to free space.  Jerruh/Stephen gonna kick the can down the road on cap management to attempt to win a Championship next season... 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/27/23572965/cowboys-free-agents-2023-salary-cap-space-stephen-jones

They have to do it. Right now in the next 2-3 seasons with Parsons on a rookie deal and no elite QBs in the NFC is the window. They have to strike now before the NFC gets some QBs that are way better than Dak again. The NFC today is a battle between Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy. Absolutely putrid. If they can't get to a super bowl in the next 3 seasons with this landscape then they never will. Must go all out the way the Rams did. 

Dak has two basic issues.  His feet and his head.  He has horrible footwork at times for a guy who has been in the league this long.  If he had an absolute cannon arm he could get away with it more, but he doesn't so he doesn't.  But even that pales to the fact that he still has trouble reading defenses and making good decisions on where to deliver a ball.  Is that solely his issue (make no mistake he can be pretty terrible at it) or an issue that is exacerbated by a poorly set up offensive system?  You're stuck with Dak for a while so you gotta get rid of Nussmeier and Moore and see if something clicks with new voices/schemes.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 1/28/2023 at 6:08 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Bobby Belt was laughing on 105.3 the other morning because he said “everyone in the building knew they weren’t together since training camp.”   So this is just an old news deal that is now official 

They have to do it. Right now in the next 2-3 seasons with Parsons on a rookie deal and no elite QBs in the NFC is the window. They have to strike now before the NFC gets some QBs that are way better than Dak again. The NFC today is a battle between Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy. Absolutely putrid. If they can't get to a super bowl in the next 3 seasons with this landscape then they never will. Must go all out the way the Rams did. 

Parsons has three more seasons on rookie deal plus a franchise year. He will be the highest paid defensive player in history. Dak has two more big $ seasons as 25 is voidable. If you think he is fixable with coaching and great o line then you restructure.

They are currently $5mil over the cap. That doesn’t include FAs like Schultz.

Cut Zeke June 1 for 11. Cut Tyron Smith for a big savings if his health remains a problem or restructure for savings. He’s only 32 but he was like 20 his first season. Bye to Schultz. Redo Dak to gain $20m. Redo Tank. Sign Armstrong. Franchise Pollard and find some cheap FAs to replace him. Go get Jaylon Ramsey and Hopkins. Sign a center and Guard. Keep Steel. Is Rush your backup or do you get a veteran?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Parsons has three more seasons on rookie deal plus a franchise year. He will be the highest paid defensive player in history. Dak has two more big $ seasons as 25 is voidable. If you think he is fixable with coaching and great o line then you restructure.

They are currently $5mil over the cap. That doesn’t include FAs like Schultz.

Cut Zeke June 1 for 11. Cut Tyron Smith for a big savings if his health remains a problem or restructure for savings. He’s only 32 but he was like 20 his first season. Bye to Schultz. Redo Dak to gain $20m. Redo Tank. Sign Armstrong. Franchise Pollard and find some cheap FAs to replace him. Go get Jaylon Ramsey and Hopkins. Sign a center and Guard. Keep Steel. Is Rush your backup or do you get a veteran?

I’d draft a QB early. I’d also consider getting another WR early if they don’t get one in free agency. 

I get sick of people moaning and groaning about Dak. Stop being a bunch of pussies. 

Dak is what he is. He's tied for the 8th highest paid QB in the NFL. The Cowboys are currently the 5th or 6th best team in the NFL as it shook out.

Dak will be further down the list next year and likely the ensuing years as all the young star qbs get humongous contracts. 

Dak's salary is what NFL qb salaries are. It comes with the deal.

As far as replacing him, go ahead and tell me how the fuck you're going to get a top 3 qb in the league. Every team wants one. They are pretty rare. Just wanting one doesn't make it happen. You either suck so hard that you have a top pick and then get more lucky that the quarterback you draft isn't one of the typical top drafted draft busts and disappointments. There are a lot of them. Only a few of them ever become what they were drafted to be. That's just how it is. 

The only other way to get one is to get really lucky and draft a quarterback that quite a few teams passed up, yet he turns out to be a far better NFL prospect than anyone imagined. Would you rather have Carson Wince or Jared Goff with a 1 or 2 overall pick than Dak for the 4th round pick they spent in the same fucking draft?

All you can do is keep drafting quarterbacks later in the draft, which the Cowboys and every other NFL team should be doing every other year, and hope you get incredibly lucky. 

Sports fans are some of the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet. 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 2

I get sick of people moaning and groaning about Dak. Stop being a bunch of pussies. 

Dak is what he is. He's tied for the 8th highest paid QB in the NFL. The Cowboys are currently the 5th or 6th best team in the NFL as it shook out.
Dak will be further down the list next year and likely the ensuing years as all the young star qbs get humongous contracts. 
As far as replacing him, go ahead and tell me how the fuck you're going to get a top 3 qb in the league. Every team wants one. They are pretty rare. Just wanting one doesn't make it happen. You either suck so hard that you have a top pick and then get more lucky that the quarterback you draft isn't one of the typical top drafted draft busts and disappointments. There are a lot of them. Only a few of them ever become what they were drafted to be. That's just how it is. 
The only other way to get one is to get really lucky and draft a quarterback that quite a few teams passed up, yet he turns out to be a far better NFL prospect than anyone imagined. Would you rather have Carson Wince or Jared Goff with a 1 or 2 overall pick than Dak for the 4th round pick they spent in the same fucking draft?
All you can do is keep drafting quarterbacks later in the draft, which the Cowboys and every other NFL team should be doing every other year, and hope you get incredibly lucky. 

Correct. Three of the four final teams had QBs on rookie deals. That allows a lot of flexibility and most importantly depth in an injury riddled 17 game season.

You have to have great coaching of young QBs. Dak has played top level football, why did he collapse? Is he fucked in the head from injury or big $? Are his mechanics off? Is he failing to handle pressure from a poor Online? Are his WRs running simple routes everyone knows? Is the playcalling predictable as shit? All of that points to coaching and FO. No QB thrives on D pressure. Fix the line and fire Philbin. Check. Fire Nussmeier and Moore on the rest. Check. Good start what will they do now?
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Wonder if Dak would have had this regression if Kellen and Nussmeier weren't forced upon McCarthy in 2020

I read today actually that Kellen and Nuss weren't forced upon McCarthy, but that McCarthy didn't want to fix what ain't broken with Dak. I don't know how accurate or how much of that is damage control...

8 hours ago, Vermin said:

McCarthy is horrendous at clock management. Adding play-calling duties will probably end in disaster.

I heard some advanced statistics a few weeks ago that showed this was actually something people believed because of his past glaring issues, but this year McCarthy was actually one of the better coaches at clock management. I'll try to find the link.

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I disagree and think you can reflect back on...checks notes... 27 years of data points to make the case that drafting an above average QB in the late rounds is not the way to win big games and win big games often. In fact, you could argue that the worst thing that has happened to the Cowboys is falling into the lull and trap of "wow we are lucky" with late round "hits" with Romo and Dak-- both fine QB's but not elite, Super Bowl winning QB's early enough (rookie contract) and not great enough when you have to allocate a ton of resources to them (second contract) from the rest of the team.

Look at the Bengals. I was consulting for 5/3rd bank back in 2018-2019 and I remember opening up a meeting in downtown Cincinnati with the old tired joke: "Man, it's so dangerous here downtown. I had 2 tickets to the Bengals game this weekend on my dashboard and when I came back to my car the window was broken....and on the dash someone had left two more!" har har har (I know, don't judge-- it's chicken noodle soup for the corporate soul). The Bengals were so bad that people were complaining about nepo baby Mike Brown and how the Brown's should be forced to sell the team for robbing fans and tanking. 

Well they get Joe Burrow and in 3 seasons since the 2-14 year they have been to two Super Bowls. With the same coach who started 0-11 and went 2-14 in 2019.

And the list goes on with the teams that understand you have to suck a couple of years to set yourself up for a sustained run with an elite QB on the cheap.

Or you can be the Cowboys and let Great be the enemy of Good and spend 27 or 28 years trying to get past the wildcard round with any semblance of consistency. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Correct. Three of the four final teams had QBs on rookie deals. That allows a lot of flexibility and most importantly depth in an injury riddled 17 game season.

You have to have great coaching of young QBs. Dak has played top level football, why did he collapse? Is he fucked in the head from injury or big $? Are his mechanics off? Is he failing to handle pressure from a poor Online? Are his WRs running simple routes everyone knows? Is the playcalling predictable as shit? All of that points to coaching and FO. No QB thrives on D pressure. Fix the line and fire Philbin. Check. Fire Nussmeier and Moore on the rest. Check. Good start what will they do now?

The league's financial model needs tweaking if the key to making it to -- and winning -- the Super Bowl means you have to have a good QB on a rookie deal. Mahomes is the first mega-QB contract to get to the SB, right? Brady's salary has always been lower than his worth compared to his QB peers.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, tx 3 putt said:

So, Jadyn Jannasch walks into a ... NO WAIT! I mean a Horse! A Horse! walks into a bar and the bartender says, "So, why the long face?"

thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week ... try the veal.

• Hook 'Em 1