2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

Schott hasn't been in that many great situations, so I won't totally write him off. The bright side is there shouldn't e a learning curve of a brand new offense, but perhaps a shift in philosophy with a few wrinkles and better play calling. Maybe not great play calling, but hopefully not as stupid and predictable. 

That's all I got.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20230204-163647_kindlephoto-4975969.thumb.png.0b023535be038de7ee6fdbb2a444b440.png

By SportsDay Staff      Feb 4, 2023

The Cowboys on Saturday afternoon announced that Brian Schottenheimer will be the team’s new offensive coordinator, replacing Kellen Moore.

“I am very happy to have Brian take on this key role with our team. He has been an important part of our staff already and has a great grasp of where we are and where we want to go,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said in a news release.

Schottenheimer, a veteran coach and son of former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, served as a consultant for the Cowboys during the 2022-23 season.

The Dallas Morning News reported last weekend that Moore and the organization had mutually agreed to part ways and that McCarthy would call the offensive plays for the Cowboys in 2023. It didn’t take long for Moore to find a new home, as the Los Angeles Chargers named him their offensive coordinator on Monday.

The organization had interviewed others for the role this week, including Vikings tight ends/passing game coordinator Brian Angelichio on Thursday, according to ESPN, and Carolina running backs coach Jeff Nixon and Los Angeles Rams tight ends coach Thomas Brown.

Schottenheimer’s last stint as an offensive coordinator was with the Seattle Seahawks from 2018 to 2020. He also served as the quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2021 before joining the Cowboys in 2022.

Championsh.........ah fuck it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

He's a terrible hire and everything that is wrong with the NFL and its organizational rot of white guys repaying white guys kids.  It's all so incestuous and lazy.  It's a joke really and this is why McCarthy isn't the HC maybe he should be..... he invests in shitty guys who he knows or is tangentially known.  He won't get out of his bubble and a big part of why he had maybe the greatest statistical QB of all-time and could only win 1 SB.

I think Jerry acquiesced on Fat Mike building his own offensive staff while whispering sweet nothings into Quinn's ear about the team being one 7-11 season from being his.  Organizational laziness and ineptness fraught with nepotism is sort of the Cowboys thing though..... They'd have won many championships if this was how they were won.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sharing this to big up the Schottenheimer hire. I'm sharing it to highlight how uninventful the Garrett/Linehan/Moore lineage was. Color me shocked there were 3 teams that ran more curls/ hitches than us. 
IMG5346062402067027771.jpg.344e58df84640ab7488487b35342b481.jpg

Doesn’t matter. Jerry is still the owner.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnw06wmoCVo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm not sharing this to big up the Schottenheimer hire. I'm sharing it to highlight how uninventful the Garrett/Linehan/Moore lineage was. Color me shocked there were 3 teams that ran more curls/ hitches than us. 

IMG5346062402067027771.jpg

Good enough for me. I guarantee Dak’s ints will go down next year without those predictable hitch routes that he kept throwing to.

Edited by 'stache

On 2/2/2023 at 1:16 PM, HamsterHookah said:

Which, brings up interesting questions right?

First and foremost as a young athlete, wouldn't you change your specialization to something that isn't a commodity with the lowest value? Young RB's are going to convert to different positions you'd think, just like people don't study COBOL anymore but are studying Python or whatever coding language pays.

Next, what (if anything) should the NFL do about protecting the position from being a devalued commodity that uses and abuses people and gives a short shelf life?

RBs are going nowhere. Kids aren’t leaving a position that gives them the ball. And the NFL doing something about it?  Lol. 

54 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Was McCarthy supposed to be calling plays now? Why did they exactly need to bring in Schottenheimer? 

I don’t really care about him. He was on staff last year. This year is all about can McCarthy improve Dak with better play calling. Unfortunately, it’ll be a referendum on Mike and not Dak. I’d much rather keep Mike. And Dak will ultimately fail because he’s not good. 

I have a half-baked theory that Jerry is being so tight with money because he knows he can put everyone around Dak possible, and it won’t matter because Dak isn’t good. 

Edited by Porterhouse

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Reminds me of the Andy Staples mad libs article.

After washing out as a walk-on tight end, (new coordinator) began his career as a student assistant fetching (breakfast treat) for (noted offensive guru). By age (number), (new coordinator) was coaching inside receivers. He called plays for the first time at (age) after (other noted offensive guru from first offensive quru's coaching tree) was fired for (reason for late-season firing). The key to (new coordinator's) offense is tempo. Ideally, he'd like to run (number) plays a game and have at least (number) skill players touch the football. His offense takes (length of time) to install, and the entire thing can fit on one (analog or digital data storage device). During games, (new coordinator) signals plays with a set of posters that feature a rotating set of photos of characters from (any Hanna-Barbera cartoon). This allows every player on the field to understand the play call in (number) seconds. (New coordinator) places a tremendous amount of trust in his quarterback. The QB will be allowed to audible in any situation, and he'll also be expected to (thing no one should trust a 20-year-old to do).

https://www.si.com/college/2016/07/11/college-football-mad-libs-build-your-own-preseason-narrative

over the past decade the cowboys are always at their best when you expect them to be the worst.  as everyone is shitting on the schottenheimer hire and thinks things are about as dire as they’ve ever been, I’m officially predicting this team to win the super bowl next year and dak to be in the running for MVP. 

• Haha 4

Double JJ is taking the “long” approach:

“Anybody who thinks I won’t take a chance, has misread the tea leaves. But I do think longer term,” Jones said. “And I’m real hesitant to bet it all for a year. There’s a lot of things that can happen for that year. In essence, we’re seeing a couple of teams that have had some real success putting it all out there and paying for it later, in Philadelphia and Los Angeles.”

“That’s pretty impressive to have two teams in the last two years empty the bucket and get to the Super Bowl,” Jones said. “But if you miss, it is a long go.”

Jones said he doesn’t think the Cowboys should be either the most aggressive team in making trades and free agent signings, or too hesitant to take chances.

“I like where we are right now, more in the middle,” Jones said.

——————

8BCE8779-739E-4A1C-9A33-9B6DF127C46E.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

over the past decade the cowboys are always at their best when you expect them to be the worst.  as everyone is shitting on the schottenheimer hire and thinks things are about as dire as they’ve ever been, I’m officially predicting this team to win the super bowl next year and dak to be in the running for MVP. 

4 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

FB-IMG-1675645283076.jpg

Edited by SurlyBDR
We're all dying to know... is this something you'd consider fisting yourself over?

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

“Anybody who thinks I won’t take a chance, has misread the tea leaves. But I do think longer term,” Jones said. “And I’m real hesitant to bet it all for a year. There’s a lot of things that can happen for that year. In essence, we’re seeing a couple of teams that have had some real success putting it all out there and paying for it later, in Philadelphia and Los Angeles.”

“That’s pretty impressive to have two teams in the last two years empty the bucket and get to the Super Bowl,” Jones said. “But if you miss, it is a long go.”

Jones said he doesn’t think the Cowboys should be either the most aggressive team in making trades and free agent signings, or too hesitant to take chances.

——————

28 years of Cowboy's Football summed up in one sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Could be an improvement over the past trend of receivers running into triple coverage for Dak to throw into regularly.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

——————

8BCE8779-739E-4A1C-9A33-9B6DF127C46E.gif

I actually tend to agree with that approach as long as the draft results continue to be positive. You pick and choose where you go after an impact free agent. A lot of the Cowboys worst issues have been holding on to mediocre players too long. That, and shitty coaching, crappy in-game management, with predictable schemes that every other team knows better than the Cowboys do.

Edited by DougO

On 2/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

So now Dak  has to hit moving targets instead of stationary? Great 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I actually tend to agree with that approach as long as the draft results continue to be positive. You pick and choose where you go after an impact free agent. A lot of the Cowboys worst issues have been holding on to mediocre players too long. That, and shitty coaching, crappy in-game management, with predictable schemes that every other team knows better than the Cowboys do.

It’s also laughable that apparently no one told JJ that both the Rams and Eagles have been to two SBs essentially in the last 6 years. Both have a win. He’s trying to say their strategy is wrong. The Eagles and Rams are different. Eagles didn’t exactly reload the same way as the Rams. True the Rams had a bad season this year and we did what we have done for 28 eats…crap out before the NFC championship. He’s always maintained “how bout those three SBs” (in the fucking 1990’s) but I think a lot of fans would have taken one in the last 5-6 years with a reload. You don’t have to mortgage away your future like the Broncos and Rams but you can also get there in other ways. KC is proof of that. Cincy is proof of that. Tampa Bay is proof of that. He can say he’s doing things the right way but without results he sounds like a regarded windbag with a delusional vision. KC has been to three SBs. Cincy has been to the AFC Championship and the SB in back to back years. He just won’t admit we are solely stuck with shit results because of him. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougO said:

You forgot a dysfunctional culture engendered by a senile owner playing favorites.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s also laughable that apparently no one told JJ that both the Rams and Eagles have been to two SBs essentially in the last 6 years. Both have a win. He’s trying to say their strategy is wrong. The Eagles and Rams are different. Eagles didn’t exactly reload the same way as the Rams. True the Rams had a bad season this year and we did what we have done for 28 eats…crap out before the NFC championship. He’s always maintained “how bout those three SBs” (in the fucking 1990’s) but I think a lot of fans would have taken one in the last 5-6 years with a reload. You don’t have to mortgage away your future like the Broncos and Rams but you can also get there in other ways. KC is proof of that. Cincy is proof of that. Tampa Bay is proof of that. He can say he’s doing things the right way but without results he sounds like a regarded windbag with a delusional vision. KC has been to three SBs. Cincy has been to the AFC Championship and the SB in back to back years. He just won’t admit we are solely stuck with shit results because of him. The rest is just smoke and mirrors. 

You’re listening to what he says. I don’t know why. He’s a business genius, and I know this from my line of work, but a football idiot, or at least he speaks idiotically about his football team. I’d much rather have the boom and bust of the Rams or the Eagles than what we have. I think what he’s trying to say is he’d rather be the Niners, consistently competing with stacked rosters. Problem is he doesn’t run his team that way. The window is gone and he’s invested too much money with Dak and Zeke. We are cooked. He can’t replicate the Niners or Eagles. Boom or bust is his only strategy. Rams are the blueprint. Problem is, Stafford is twice the QB now than Dak will ever be. 

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You’re listening to what he says. I don’t know why. He’s a business genius, and I know this from my line of work, but a football idiot, or at least he speaks idiotically about his football team. I’d much rather have the boom and bust of the Rams or the Eagles than what we have. I think what he’s trying to say is he’d rather be the Niners, consistently competing with stacked rosters. Problem is he doesn’t run his team that way. The window is gone and he’s invested too much money with Dak and Zeke. We are cooked. He can’t replicate the Niners or Eagles. Boom or bust is his only strategy. Rams are the blueprint. Problem is, Stafford is twice the QB now than Dak will ever be. 

Yeah. I think he truly looked at the roster this year and saw a 1990’s SB team (Zeke + Pollard = Smith, Dak = Troy, and Lamb = Irvin with MMcM as a poor man’s Jimmy.) our defense was damn salty enough to compete for sure. But we lost Pollard and Zeke has absolutely nothing to contribute. Lamb is a lower tier WR1 and Dak isn’t Troy. But I think in his mind he believed he’d built a similar team to the SB winning one. Maybe if Pollard doesn’t get injured we perhaps make the NFC championship. But he’s made his bed with the Dak contract and has to circle the wagons. I get that he’s a businessman and good on that but it’s like I start not to care anymore because he hasn’t gotten it done. And this year was the closest we were going to get I feel like for a long time. He’s surrounded by yes men. fat Mike didn’t really bring in anyone dynamic. Quinn is like our best coach and at least he’s staying. But with Double JJ’s philosophy the Cowboys will be watching the SB from home or the stadium and not in it next season.  Sucks. Hence why I have backup teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jerruh is a fuckin' idiot acting like Eagles have sold their soul to win now.  Philadelphia currently has six picks in 2023 NFL Draft. 

Screenshot_20230206-224039_kindlephoto-4306749.png.df21c68b255c7af5f492033e31316494.png

I expect Philly to trade back with at least one of their 1st Rd picks to gain more draft picks.  Lots of opportunities still available in the 2023 NFL Draft for the "Damn Eagles"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jerruh is a fuckin' idiot acting like Eagles have sold their soul to win now.  Philadelphia currently has six picks in 2023 NFL Draft. 
Screenshot_20230206-224039_kindlephoto-4306749.png.df21c68b255c7af5f492033e31316494.png
I expect Philly to trade back with at least one of their 1st Rd picks to gain more draft picks.  Lots of opportunities still available in the 2023 NFL Draft for the "Damn Eagles"

Jerry used to live trading but stopped. They want to keep all the home grown talent instead of constantly trading for picks. The successful teams are constantly trading talent that can bring pick currency. Roseman has done masterful work of amassing a great line in both sides. Goes and gets AJ brown. Still has two ones to wheel and deal. Bellichik used to be great at it and usually had 4x the trades constantly shuffling. Instead jerry overpays the wrong talent. Gallup? Zeke? Terrible.

Ware is in the HoF because of what he did with the Cowboys (his all pro years came with the Cowboys, he lead the league in sacks as a Cowboy) not because of the Super Bowl he won with the Broncos.  He signed a one day contract to retire as a Cowboy.  I imagine he goes in as a Cowboy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ware is in the HoF because of what he did with the Cowboys (his all pro years came with the Cowboys, he lead the league in sacks as a Cowboy) not because of the Super Bowl he won with the Broncos.  He signed a one day contract to retire as a Cowboy.  I imagine he goes in as a Cowboy.

I would agree although Jerry wasted his prime years as he has many others.  And it is long overdue for Howley.  To this day the only SB MVP from a losing team.  Woodson should make it in one day.  There are a lot of players from the early 90's Cowboys that should make it in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hate said:

I would agree although Jerry wasted his prime years as he has many others.  And it is long overdue for Howley.  To this day the only SB MVP from a losing team.  Woodson should make it in one day.  There are a lot of players from the early 90's Cowboys that should make it in.

What early 90's Cowboys should be in who already aren't? The late 60's/70's Cowboys are probably still under-represented but I think they've done pretty well with Jimmy/Jerry's early 90's Cowboys.

Edited by C-Man

On 2/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Yep. Once free agency opened players up to multiple teams I think they dropped the team element of it. It’s most telling who they pick to present them.

Going in for a particular team was never a thing in the pro football HOF. That's just baseball crapola.