2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Jake Ferguson will be better imo

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Gonna get Brock bowers next year 💪🏼

It seems we struck out on so many TEs for a while there I just assume it wouldn’t work out with someone else.

3 hours ago, futureman said:

I was thinking about this today. hear me out… two RB1s, one backup.  you only activate one RB1 each week; they switch off so that they get two weeks rest after every game.  the backup gets about 5 carries a game or whatever is needed.  your bell cows are fresh for the playoffs; and you play both of them in each playoff game. then sit back and watch the Super Bowls roll in.  it’s almost too easy. 

I'm calling Jerry right now on your behalf. I think he'll listen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't want them to draft Bijan. Not because I don't want him, but I would rather see him go somewhere with a legitimate chance of winning it all.

He'll make bank here, but until shown otherwise my outlook on the team is decidedly pessimistic.

I'll welcome him gladly if he gets picked.

I think some of y’all are missing how much Gilmore is going to improve this defense.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The defense has holes and needs leadership. Tank isn’t providing it. Micah can’t spend this amount of plays in the d line. Gilmore is a big plus and hopefully teaches Diggs how to be a real cb. Needs a run stopper in the middle. Need a third stud cb. Joseph needs to be cut.

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The defense has holes and needs leadership. Tank isn’t providing it. Micah can’t spend this amount of plays in the d line. Gilmore is a big plus and hopefully teaches Diggs how to be a real cb. Needs a run stopper in the middle. Need a third stud cb. Joseph needs to be cut.

Tank is one of the most consistent players in the NFL in terms of pass rush win rate and other metrics.  A lot of his pressures lead to sacks by Micah/Dorance/etc.   He's still an incredible run defender as well.   Basically, still an above average DE in the league.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Tank is one of the most consistent players in the NFL in terms of pass rush win rate and other metrics.  A lot of his pressures lead to sacks by Micah/Dorance/etc.   He's still an incredible run defender as well.   Basically, still an above average DE in the league.  

When D Law beat like 5 guys to force a goal line fumble. Yeah, he's still pretty good. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think some of y’all are missing how much Gilmore is going to improve this defense.   

I like the move, but he's old.  Probably another year left in the tank, but when it goes empty..... it goes quick.  We still need to draft a CB by day 2, IMO.

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Agreed.  He's a little overpaid though.  For the money we're paying him, he needs more pressures than what he gets, but still a very productive player.  This is a put up or shut up year for him.  If he shows decline or gets injured for a lot of the year, he's probably a cap casualty.  If he plays well, he gets his last year and maybe an okay extension.

I didn’t say anything about his play. He’s devastating against the run. Still ok as a edge rusher. He has not been a big leader since his contract issues and the hot boys. Who’s the coach on the field?

29 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nothing about the defense worries me as long as it's DQ in charge. And i don't necessarily mind shaking things up on offense. But i'm still highly skeptical that it will ever be good enough to win it all.

Not only that, but we seem to have a good eye for finding free agents and draft picks who fit and at times excel in DQ's defense. 

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nothing about the defense worries me as long as it's DQ in charge. And i don't necessarily mind shaking things up on offense. But i'm still highly skeptical that it will ever be good enough to win it all.

Highly physical teams (Niners) tend to push us around upfront and the back end was very porous but they had a 7th round rookie trying to make it to the SB.  We took a nice step with the Gilmore pick up.  Love to see another CB in the draft and we have to get another run stopping DT and LB.  You get those 3 and with some health, that could be the best defense in a long time here..... But yea, I agree, moving to McCarthy as a play caller does nothing for me.  He sucks.

Also boy genius Kellen Moore's last at drawing up stupidass plays for the Cowboys.

This is the kind of shit Mccarthy was addressing in his presser the other day. Moore comes from the Linehan school of losing is life. He spent a career on the bench with the lions, collected a nice check, never caught a whiff of winning. He draws up some stupid plays and has no sense of game flow. Hence the aggravating tendency of needing to burn two minutes before the half and him calling low percentage pass plays and burning 30 seconds.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is the kind of shit Mccarthy was addressing in his presser the other day. Moore comes from the Linehan school of losing is life. He spent a career on the bench with the lions, collected a nice check, never caught a whiff of winning. He draws up some stupid plays and has no sense of game flow. Hence the aggravating tendency of needing to burn two minutes before the half and him calling low percentage pass plays and burning 30 seconds.

Doesn't he also hold the record for most wins in an NCAA career? 

I'm not all that thrilled about Cooks, but i guess it's an OK price for a capable possession receiver that occasionally shows a little pop. I don't hate it, but he doesn't move the needle that much, vastly overrated mediocre-plus sort of guy that gets pumped on lot of junk stats with bad teams in bad games, much like Jarvis Landry.  There's a reason he's played for so many teams. I'm not sure how much dead money would hit the Cowboys if they ditched him after this season, so that's the big question for me as to value. 

I'll say it's probably a real good move if it keeps Jerry from wasting money on Beckham at any price. I still hope the Cowboys are going to draft a receiver in round 1 or 2 and find a real bookend.

How could you not like This? Low risk and low cost. He brings the one thing this offense lacked for a decade. Speed on the outside.

They get a guard and another RB and the offense will be obscene.

Add to bringing back Wilson on a team friendly deal, Tyron taking a nice deal, and the cheap trade for Gilmore and cutting Zeke they’ve already had a gray offseason.

And they still got a the draft…the one thing they usually nail outside the 2nd round.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DougO said:

I'm not all that thrilled about Cooks, but i guess it's an OK price for a capable possession receiver that occasionally shows a little pop. I don't hate it, but he doesn't move the needle that much, vastly overrated mediocre-plus sort of guy that gets pumped on lot of junk stats with bad teams in bad games, much like Jarvis Landry.  There's a reason he's played for so many teams. I'm not sure how much dead money would hit the Cowboys if they ditched him after this season, so that's the big question for me as to value. 

I'll say it's probably a real good move if it keeps Jerry from wasting money on Beckham at any price. I still hope the Cowboys are going to draft a receiver in round 1 or 2 and find a real bookend.

Think I read that Cooks only has one year left on his deal. 

I mostly agree with your assessment of him. He’s fine. Better than the shit we threw out there at WR2 last year.

What I like about this move and the Gilmore move is that the Cowboys are setting themselves up to draft BPA at 26. That’s when they do best in the draft, versus trying to fill a need. 

14 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Houston is paying $6 million of his salary next year.

This is a really good value.  Day 3 picks are typically overvalued for a team like Dallas and they still have 7 left.  Cooks is really important in, at 29, he can still stretch the field in a real way.  He fits really nicely as he can play slot but 85% of his snaps came on the outside with Houston.  The two trades are really high reward, low risk plays which smart playoff front offices make.  WTF is going on?  They just let McClay make all the deals now?

14 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

That bit of info makes the trade better.

otherwise, we essentially traded Amari and a 6th for Cooks.

Cooper was sunk cost. The move was asinine.  Defending it even more moronic, but don't let one bad move dictate another.  Cooks on his contract with Houston kicking in a 1/3 of it, is a very good risk, not like the James Washington move, who never did shit in the league.  Cooks still has juice.  And we don't have to overpay on OBJ now.

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Cooks costs $12m in 23 and $13 in 24. He can be released after 23 with zero dead cap. It’s a simple deal.

Exactly.  No guarantees.  He sucks or blows his knee out late in the year, you just move on and miss out on a guy who was probably 50-50 to make the roster anyways.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cooper was an emotional reaction by the team against cooper for not getting the vax and taking plays off at the wrong time. Jerry let’s feelings make too many decisions like keeping Zeke and fucking YKDV Bossman fat.

Would love a couple similar deals for a DT and another CB or OL.

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Cooper was an emotional reaction by the team against cooper for not getting the vax and taking plays off at the wrong time. Jerry let’s feelings make too many decisions like keeping Zeke and fucking YKDV Bossman fat.

Would love a couple similar deals for a DT and another CB or OL.

False. Cooper was a production/cost issue. He was not what they thought they were paying for when they got him. They accepted their mistake and moved on and limited the hit to short term.

56 minutes ago, DougO said:

False. Cooper was a production/cost issue. He was not what they thought they were paying for when they got him. They accepted their mistake and moved on and limited the hit to short term.

cooper is an elite receiver you jackwagon.  their mistake is at the quarterback position.

You’re drinking a double shot of Jerry splooge. Had Amari gotten vaxxed I believe he would have been on the team in 22.