2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

The TE price market seems to be down a bit. Gesicki got a similar deal, 9 mil but much based on incentives, with both coming off a franchise tag year that payed more. Schultz turned down a much bigger 3 year deal offered last year and saved Dallas a good chunk of money. 

The radio guys in Houston were saying he was offered 3 years at $36 million from the Cowboys and turned it down. Now he’s betting his future on one of the worst teams in the league with rookie QB. He should fire his agent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

The radio guys in Houston were saying he was offered 3 years at $36 million from the Cowboys and turned it down. Now he’s betting his future on one of the worst teams in the league with rookie QB. He should fire his agent.

That was reported..... not confirmed, but whatever it was, seems like he bet on himself last year and pushed.  He does it again and puts up the same production, he'll lose.  This time he'll try and produce with a rookie QB, most likely Bryce Young and a rookie OC, Slowik with a defensive head coach.  I guess the good news are the WRs sort of suck.  Nico Collins has got some juice, but they may need to draft another WR because Robert Woods looks cooked.  Noah Brown is the 3rd WR now.  

Schultz issue, besides overplaying his hand, is he's not a dynamic athlete and he's not a great blocker.  So he's sort in that, smart player who understands zones who can get open.  His hands were so-so last year, but he was injured for much of the year.  He was a 4th rounder for us so good pick.  Hope he does well, he'll get us a comp pick.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, futureman said:

cooper is an elite receiver you jackwagon.  their mistake is at the quarterback position.

Yeah he produced really well last year. Unfortunately it had zero effect in the win/loss column, because WR is the most overvalued position in football.

Strange signing. Jones has been a disappointment in Tampa, mostly getting junk time. He must have come dirt cheap, but it seems like there were better options out there at fairly low cost.

Edited by DougO

Strange signing. Jones has been a disappointment in Tampa, mostly getting junk time. He must have come dirt cheap, but it seems like there were better options out there at fairly low cost.

He’s a cheap date for an experienced camp body. No numbers yet but he made $1.5m in kc last year so I doubt they will pay him more than $1.2 if he makes the team.

Really interesting.... Highlights why we needed to upgrade our receivers but that's only if our TE position can be solidified as a little above-average and for fuck's sake, hopefully Gallup can improve to average.  My lord was he fucking terrible last year, we need him like it's 2019.  

TE's.

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I expect a couple more WRs in draft or FA.  The Tight End chart leaves something out: blocking. The two rookies are good at it. Schultz is pretty bad at it. Draft is deep in TEs.

This article has tight end depth in draft as weak... #10

Ranking every position in the 2023 NFL Draft from strongest to weakest

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/12/23/23518060/ranking-every-position-2023-nfl-draft-qb-bryce-young-cj-stroud-will-levis-olb-anderson-steelers-news

Edited by LTtxfan

Daniel Jeremiah likes Tight End Group

Michael Mayer and Dalton Kincaid Battle It Out at Top of Deep Tight End Group

“I think the tight end group is the best I’ve seen in the last ten years,” NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah announced in the opening statement of his NFL draft media conference. “I have eleven tight ends that I have top three round grades on, which is ridiculous number. It is just a really, really good group.”

While Jeremiah didn’t give the names of all 11, based on the PFN 2023 NFL Draft Big Board, we can surmise that they consist of Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington, Luke Musgrave, Dalton Kincaid, Tucker Kraft, Sam LaPorta, Luke Schoonmaker, Cameron Latu, Payne Durham, and Zack Kuntz.

Of course, that isn’t to say that the opinions of the NFL draft department exactly correlate with Jeremiah’s. There certainly could be prospects that the NFL Network analyst has higher grades on than we have at this moment.

All that does is further showcase how impressive this tight end group is. Mayer has long been seen as the standard-bearer and the prospect to return this positional group to the first round of the NFL draft. However, with his elite pass-catching capability and reliability, Kincaid will push him all the way to the finish line.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-positional-groups-2023/

Edited by LTtxfan

This article has tight end depth in draft as weak... #10
Ranking every position in the 2023 NFL Draft from strongest to weakest
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/12/23/23518060/ranking-every-position-2023-nfl-draft-qb-bryce-young-cj-stroud-will-levis-olb-anderson-steelers-news

As Daniel Jeremiah points out, as does every other talking head on TV does, it’s a deep draft. It’s certainly there in the market. Schultz finding no takers to come close to his 22 franchise $ is pretty much evidence that the TE supply is deep for what most teams use them for.
  • Like 1

Early TEs are very risky, high disappointment rate, and even with the decent ones can often take a couple years to show up. I would wait until at least 4th round. I think the Cowboys are OK at TE without Schultz, plus a draftee. There are usually decent TE bodies in post-draft free agency if they need depth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Early TEs are very risky, high disappointment rate, and even with the decent ones can often take a couple years to show up. I would wait until at least 4th round. I think the Cowboys are OK at TE without Schultz, plus a draftee. There are usually decent TE bodies in post-draft free agency if they need depth.

Ferguson and that other blocking te are pretty good.

Looks like Commanders are going to be selling in the $6b range. If so that should take the value of the Cowboys from $8b to at least $10b. If I’m the three kids I’m selling that sucker the day after Jerry or Gene dies. Get on the big yacht and sail away.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Ronald Jones got a guarantee: $125k. Drop in the bucket if he fucks up in camp. If he makes the 53 he costs $1.25 mil. Cheap date.

He had a decent year a few years back.

what’s the story with Davis. He showed flashes.  Is there just no love there.  

Edited by Sgt Hulk

6 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I saw him in for one play against SF and he completely whiffed on pass pro and the tongan safety wrecked our shit. He didnt play after that despite Pollard being out and Zeke being useless

He’s not a free agent so he can earn a spot again. He’s got to fix his blocking or he’s gone. There’s a jillion RBs coming out this year.

Parsons getting flamed on Twitter by folks that want a refund on their 11 jerseys. If I’m a store with cartons of 11 jerseys I’m sending them back. NFL properties might be sending him a bill for all that inventory that has to be remaindered and shipped to Nigeria.

18 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I saw him in for one play against SF and he completely whiffed on pass pro and the tongan safety wrecked our shit. He didnt play after that despite Pollard being out and Zeke being useless

Completely stupid to bring in a running back who has hardly played at all during the season in an emergency situation in a playoff game and on play 1 ask him to pass protect. Just complete fucking stupidity. 

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Parsons getting flamed on Twitter by folks that want a refund on their 11 jerseys. If I’m a store with cartons of 11 jerseys I’m sending them back. NFL properties might be sending him a bill for all that inventory that has to be remaindered and shipped to Nigeria.

Any idiot who is stupid enough to buy a team jersey with a player's name on it deserves to get screwed. If you must have a jersey get the blank one. Unless you're 8 years old

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, Texzilla58 said:

As Daniel Jeremiah points out, as does every other talking head on TV does, it’s a deep draft. It’s certainly there in the market. Schultz finding no takers to come close to his 22 franchise $ is pretty much evidence that the TE supply is deep for what most teams use them for.

Yea, it's a deep draft but I don't like the top of it very much.  Mayer's an average athlete, Kincaid is old and has a bad back (literally), Washington has spotty hands, Musgrave can't block, etc.  I love what they did last year at TE and feel like there's a good contributor in the middle rounds this year for them.

On 3/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

You need camp bodies.  Kid can't take every rep in camp as Pollard will be recovering from major injury.  We'll probably draft a guy too or at least should.

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Completely stupid to bring in a running back who has hardly played at all during the season in an emergency situation in a playoff game and on play 1 ask him to pass protect. Just complete fucking stupidity. 

Or paying a RB 12 million + who has no juice left.  The 3rd RB has to be ready because you generally only carry 3 (and a FB).  One goes down, the 3rd needs to be ready to play.  We definitely need another starter level RB, if we can get him.  If that's Davis or Dowdle or whomever, that's cool too but they need to be ready to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any idiot who is stupid enough to buy a team jersey with a player's name on it deserves to get screwed. If you must have a jersey get the blank one. Unless you're 8 years old

I like Deion’s take on this, which is similar to yours. He has a colorful corollary regarding women in jerseys. “Why would any dude allow another man’s name to be slapped across your woman?”