2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw this on the news while I was out to lunch.

Ecstatic to have Deuce in a Cowboys uniform. Fantastic pick and awesome value. Tougher runner than he gets credit for and as adept at catching the ball as he is running the ball.

GREAT use of a sixth-rounder, imo.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

That was the Giants on the DT. Boys draft Jalen Brooks WR South Carolina. Left squad in 21 and jackshit in 22. Camp body and cut my prediction. Not big, slow, runs bad routes. Charlotte’s dog made the pick.

Charlotte’s the smartest of the bunch, so her dog might be an improvement.

25 minutes ago, DougO said:

Slow receiver with very little production. Strange pick. They should have drafted a kicker.

or, if they were going receiver, the Michigan receiver taken by San Francisco nine picks later (Ronnie Bell) would have been a better choice

2023 Dallas Cowboys Undrafted Free Agents  (Last updated: 9:54 PM ET, 4/29)

• FB Hunter Kuepke - North Dakota State (per Tom Pelissero)
  • OLB Tyrus Wheat - Mississippi State (per Tom Pleissero)
  • DE Isaiah Land - Florida A&M (per Aaron Wilson)
  • WR David Durden - West Florida (per Michael Gehlken)
  • OT Earl Bostick Jr. - Kansas (per Tom Pelissero)
  • TE Princeton Fant - Tennessee (per Michael Gehlken)
  • WR Jalen Moreno-Cropper - Fresno State (per Sidelines - Fresno State)
  • WR Jose Barbon - Temple (per Aaron Wilson)
  • G T.J. Bass - Oregon (per PFF College)
  • OLB Durrell Johnson - Liberty (per Tom Pleissero)

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, DougO said:

DV is my favorite pick of the Cowboys draft. Can't wait for the Cowboys to drop a Deuce on the fecals.

Bad pick in a bad draft for the Cowboys. It started with a questionable 1st round and only got worse. Eagles totally outclassed us. 

Cowboys signed Hunter Lupke from NDSU. This guys is an absolute blast to watch. Easily one of the best football players NDSU has had in their dominant stretch.

Not sure how he’ll translate to the NFL. He almost beat Arizona by himself tho

He was one of only 2 Fullbacks listed on the nfl draft list. I love the pick. Kyle Brandt featured him this week on a potential Angry Runs draft picks. Bad ass blocker and mean ass runner. Looks like Ed Podolak out there. I like having a true FB on the roster and hope he sticks. The use of guards and tight ends as faux fullbacks has limited success.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Bad pick in a bad draft for the Cowboys. It started with a questionable 1st round and only got worse. Eagles totally outclassed us. 

Dallas reached on nearly every pick. The highlight of the draft was a late round running back. When you spend a high draft pick on a blocking tight end while your main competitor in the division just stockpiled defensive talent, you know it was a bad weekend. 

Obviously I would’ve liked to see the Cowboys grab RoJo as their RB pick in the draft, but I love the Deuce pick. Granted late round picks are low risk, high reward but this one has particularly high upside. Not too sure about Mazi Smith but if both Parsons and Quinn are fans then I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Dallas reached on nearly every pick. The highlight of the draft was a late round running back. When you spend a high draft pick on a blocking tight end while your main competitor in the division just stockpiled defensive talent, you know it was a bad weekend. 

I guess Gene Parmesan and Casey Thompson-loving Hermanator love picking up totally redundant midget running backs and a bunch of other spares. 

All this handwringing by us amateurs is silly, since all our info comes mostly from media folks that know nothing much either. I’ll trust the folks that do this every day as pros to do their job. Cowboys issue hasn’t been draft but free agency lately.

Dallas addressed its biggest problem on defense which has been an inability to stop the run which it must do to get past Philly and SF. I know some me of you would have berated the picks of Staubach and Bob Lilly as wastes. We won’t know how anyone’s overall draft goes for two or three years.

Philly is about to have cap issues and will cut veteran talent. Niners don’t have a decent QB as Purdy likely misses 23. The only thing we know is that half the players that make a 53 will be UDFAs, that half the draft picks will disappoint, and that for every high round bust will be a great low round surprise. Jimmy knew that as good a judge of football character he was, there was no substitute for quantity of picks.
  • Like 1

Fuck the Eagles you guys are huge fucking pussies sucking their dick all day long.

Wow they drafted some players youve heard of lets fucking cry about it surely they did an excellent job of scouting and didnt just pick the biggest name left over when it was their turn. Seriously evey team passed on Ringo multiple times because he's too slow and will be a penalty machine that CD Lamb will abuse and everyone wants to suck Howies dick because he's a guy they've heard of. The same college scouting guru Howie that drafted Jalen Reagor instead of Justin Jefferson

Fuck the Joneses but fuck the Eagles and fuck all this dicksucking.

Last 5 seasons

Eagles 45-38-1, 3-4 playoffs

Cowboys 48-36, 3-3 playoffs

5-5 head to head

"But it feels different" that's because youre a fucking pussy who loves to complain. "They lost the Super Bowl" fucking good for them go buy a fucking green dildo to plug your leaky vagina

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Meh. The upper half of this draft seems like a group of “we know better” picks. So we'll see about that over the next couple of years. The back half is always whomever that can be grouped in with the udfa. 

id be cool if deuce actually is sproles 2.0 though.  Shit it might be fun to run him behind that fullback with dak under  center against some defenses. 

I still recall listening to the 1996 draft at work as a teen and being excited every time someone not named Tony brackens was announced before the Dallas pick. And then they traded back, he was gone to jax, and a few picks later they took kavika Pittman, and I think they got an extra third for it and picked Mike ulufale?  

So I’m usually in favor of going with a consensus pick in the early rounds, and if you really can’t find a player at that spot at a position you’d like to fill, trade down if you can gain top 3 round picks. In the above example the smart move is pick brackens. But what killed the trade down was the picks they made at those new spots, not the trade itself. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Feeling pretty certain about these unknowable outcomes? Of course the eagles could have a bunch of flame outs and busts and mazi could be the next Aaron Donald…
  • Like 1

All this handwringing by us amateurs is silly, since all our info comes mostly from media folks that know nothing much either. I’ll trust the folks that do this every day as pros to do their job. Cowboys issue hasn’t been draft but free agency lately.

Dallas addressed its biggest problem on defense which has been an inability to stop the run which it must do to get past Philly and SF. I know some me of you would have berated the picks of Staubach and Bob Lilly as wastes. We won’t know how anyone’s overall draft goes for two or three years.

Philly is about to have cap issues and will cut veteran talent. Niners don’t have a decent QB as Purdy likely misses 23. The only thing we know is that half the players that make a 53 will be UDFAs, that half the draft picks will disappoint, and that for every high round bust will be a great low round surprise. Jimmy knew that as good a judge of football character he was, there was no substitute for quantity of picks.

Yap, well we do know that the winners and losers as seen today will not be the same as seen 3 years from now…
  • Like 1

Meh. The upper half of this draft seems like a group of “we know better” picks. So we'll see about that over the next couple of years. The back half is always whomever that can be grouped in with the udfa. 

id be cool if deuce actually is sproles 2.0 though.  Shit it might be fun to run him behind that fullback with dak under  center against some defenses. 

I still recall listening to the 1996 draft at work as a teen and being excited every time someone not named Tony brackens was announced before the Dallas pick. And then they traded back, he was gone to jax, and a few picks later they took kavika Pittman, and I think they got an extra third for it and picked Mike ulufale?  

So I’m usually in favor of going with a consensus pick in the early rounds, and if you really can’t find a player at that spot at a position you’d like to fill, trade down if you can gain top 3 round picks. In the above example the smart move is pick brackens. But what killed the trade down was the picks they made at those new spots, not the trade itself. 

Deuce was a dominate force in the football games I watched him play. So as long as they play him at rb and the name of his game is being hard to hit he’ll be fine. If they ask him to reach shit up high or something his height may become an issue.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

If you want to grade this entire draft now, don’t forget the 5’s missing yesterday. Gilmore and Cooks each cost a 5.

If you don’t count the salary cap as a thing, sure. But they really are part of the free agency calculation. 

Drafting 27 is a much different game than having parlayed trades for multiple earlier picks. God for the fecals. They're still the fucking fecals. They still gotta put it on the field, and they just backed up the truck for Hurts. It will be entertaining watching Hurts get Daked by the media as he proves to be more and more mediocre and mor and more of a cap destroyer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Cowboys signed Hunter Lupke from NDSU. This guys is an absolute blast to watch. Easily one of the best football players NDSU has had in their dominant stretch.

Not sure how he’ll translate to the NFL. He almost beat Arizona by himself tho

A fave pickup of mine too in UDFA.  I'll say Dallas seems to have done pretty good in UDFA.  Like 5-6 were considered draft worthy by many.  Of course, we won't know until TC and these guys can see if they can contribute.  Some will go PS, some will go on the IR for a redshirt year, but I seem to remember we started like 3 UDFA's on offense for a game or two last year so they can contribute. 

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

See above.  Pretty interested in Kuepke, Wheat, Land, Durden, and Johnson.

16 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I'm okay with Schooner, I just dislike his age.  It'll be interesting to see how Washington does, but Schooner is actually a very good athlete so in a couple of years, he could really be a contributing player playing in a nice TE room with Ferg and Hendershot (UDFA).  I get he's not sexy.  This was a Dan Quinn draft so we'll see what happens.  Wasn't impressed by the slow corner we traded up for, either but I guess we'll see.  Definitely isn't going to win many Monday morning analyst grades and that's a little worrisome but they're wrong as much as they're right.  Didn't have a full "special teams" draft of infamy, but maybe not as far off.

6 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Deuce was a dominate force in the football games I watched him play. So as long as they play him at rb and the name of his game is being hard to hit he’ll be fine. If they ask him to reach shit up high or something his height may become an issue.

He'll probably compete for 3rd down back and KR.  My concern is whenever they see him, defenses will simply blitz forcing him to play pass pro.  He'll have to show he can block.  If not, then he's just a little guy.  But dude has hands.

I'd like to see us kick the tires on Kareem Hunt.  Some rumors about he lost some speed but he was also playing on a bad ankle last year.  I'm intrigued if he has anything left more than Ronald Jones.  He's only 27-28.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2 more UFA signings- updated: 6:30a ET, 4/30

• CB Mile Brooks, LA Tech (per Matt Bellinson)
  • CB D’Angelo Mandell, BYU (BYU)

Boring draft. Hit all needs. Meaning they won’t get any love for it…but will probably hit on half of them, including a couple late rounders/UDFAs and we’ll be telling about how much it helped.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Feeling pretty certain about these unknowable outcomes? Of course the eagles could have a bunch of flame outs and busts and mazi could be the next Aaron Donald…

Nope. But fairly certain Mazi won’t be the next Aaron Donald and doubt Deuce will be anything other than Turpin. I like Mazi. The rest of the draft was very meh and DV was insanely stupid. 

12 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Fuck the Eagles you guys are huge fucking pussies sucking their dick all day long.

Wow they drafted some players youve heard of lets fucking cry about it surely they did an excellent job of scouting and didnt just pick the biggest name left over when it was their turn. Seriously evey team passed on Ringo multiple times because he's too slow and will be a penalty machine that CD Lamb will abuse and everyone wants to suck Howies dick because he's a guy they've heard of. The same college scouting guru Howie that drafted Jalen Reagor instead of Justin Jefferson

Fuck the Joneses but fuck the Eagles and fuck all this dicksucking.

Last 5 seasons

Eagles 45-38-1, 3-4 playoffs

Cowboys 48-36, 3-3 playoffs

5-5 head to head

"But it feels different" that's because youre a fucking pussy who loves to complain. "They lost the Super Bowl" fucking good for them go buy a fucking green dildo to plug your leaky vagina

I’m sure someone has commented on this but what a dipshit post. Why don’t you extend that to 6 years, and you’d see a Super Bowl win and of course their appearance last year.

Of course in between they shed the idiotic Wentz contract, explaining their lull from ‘18-‘20 allowing us to get close in record, and somehow have thrived despite that dead money albatross. 

This is like Aggies trying to pick a date for their head to head record against Texas, which always features 1-4 national titles in the middle, depending on the year of convenience chosen by the Aggie. Nice post bro. 

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A fave pickup of mine too in UDFA.  I'll say Dallas seems to have done pretty good in UDFA.  Like 5-6 were considered draft worthy by many.  Of course, we won't know until TC and these guys can see if they can contribute.  Some will go PS, some will go on the IR for a redshirt year, but I seem to remember we started like 3 UDFA's on offense for a game or two last year so they can contribute. 

See above.  Pretty interested in Kuepke, Wheat, Land, Durden, and Johnson.

I'm okay with Schooner, I just dislike his age.  It'll be interesting to see how Washington does, but Schooner is actually a very good athlete so in a couple of years, he could really be a contributing player playing in a nice TE room with Ferg and Hendershot (UDFA).  I get he's not sexy.  This was a Dan Quinn draft so we'll see what happens.  Wasn't impressed by the slow corner we traded up for, either but I guess we'll see.  Definitely isn't going to win many Monday morning analyst grades and that's a little worrisome but they're wrong as much as they're right.  Didn't have a full "special teams" draft of infamy, but maybe not as far off.

He'll probably compete for 3rd down back and KR.  My concern is whenever they see him, defenses will simply blitz forcing him to play pass pro.  He'll have to show he can block.  If not, then he's just a little guy.  But dude has hands.

I'd like to see us kick the tires on Kareem Hunt.  Some rumors about he lost some speed but he was also playing on a bad ankle last year.  I'm intrigued if he has anything left more than Ronald Jones.  He's only 27-28.

My problem with Vaughn isn’t his size. I respect him as a player. Is he Sproles or Quentin Griffin?  Probably the former if used correctly. My issue is he’s redundant to our current assets and adds little in the way of what we already have. If we weren’t gonna end up with Bijan, draft a bruiser. RoJo would’ve been a perfect tandem with TP. I would’ve loved Evans too. 

The bolded part is wrong. He’ll be in on 3rd downs and if teams blitz we will torch their ass with him in the screen game. He won’t ever be in pass pro and he’ll never see more than 5 carries per game. He’ll see many more catches than carries. He takes zero pressure off of Pollard. It was a retarded pick. 

Edited by Porterhouse

If you don’t count the salary cap as a thing, sure. But they really are part of the free agency calculation. 

Both as they included trades of draft picks. Without those acquisitions they would have drafted two more fifth rounders yesterday. Good moves by FO.