Space force - the 6th military branch

bernorange

Probably should have posted this in Lulz, because potential, but ...

The US president said on Monday it would bolster national security and the economy with the creation of jobs.

"It is not enough to merely have an American presence in space. We must have American dominance in space," Mr Trump said at the White House.

He also promised that the US would "return Americans to the Moon" and would eventually send people to Mars.

"I'm hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a space force as the sixth branch of the armed forces," Mr Trump announced, moments after he discussed US and German approaches to immigration .

He also said it would be unacceptable to let either China or Russia lead in space, and he would be directing federal agencies to "implement a state-of-the-art framework for space traffic management".

Details of what a new space force would look like and what it would do were not immediately clear.

But Mr Trump said it would be "separate but equal" to the Air Force. The other US military branches are the Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Marine Corps.

However, the US Congress would need to pass a law authorising it before any new branch of the military could be created.

Speaking ahead of a meeting with the National Space Council, Mr Trump said, "This time, we will do more than plant our flag and leave our footprints. We will establish a long-term presence, expand our economy, and build the foundation for the eventual mission to Mars."

More:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44527672

#MSGA

Are we gonna have a wall up there to keep illegal aliens out?  I mean, that's where we're going with this since the real life land version here in Texas backed by some of you fucking morons isn't coming to fruition.  It's impossible some of you are this stupid.  

8 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Thanks Lobo Farva

ngbbs4f8aa3a904975.jpg

It's cute you don't see the connection between his anti-immigration blowing up in his face this week and his sudden interest in Space.  

48 minutes ago, bernorange said:

"This time, we will do more than plant our flag and leave our footprints. We will establish a long-term presence, expand our economy, and build the foundation for the eventual mission to Mars."

If only there was 'an independent agency of the executive department of the United States Federal government rsponsible for the civilian space program as well as aeronatucis and aerospace research'.

Not to mention we already have the US Air Force Space Command.

I just don't get what an additional military branch is going to accomplish that NASA and the Air Force aren't already doing, other than adding yet more people to the government dole.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

If only there was 'an independent agency of the executive department of the United States Federal government rsponsible for the civilian space program as well as aeronatucis and aerospace research'.

Not to mention we already have the US Air Force Space Command.

I just don't get what an additional military branch is going to accomplish that NASA and the Air Force aren't already doing, other than adding yet more people to the government dole.

He just wants something lasting that he can take credit for.   Shit that would have been done by NASA or the Air Force anyway, he'll be able to say "that's cause of me and my space force!" 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

He just wants something lasting that he can take credit for.   Shit that would have been done by NASA or the Air Force anyway, he'll be able to say "that's cause of me and my space force!" 

^This right here.  That's why there are so many jokes/memes popping up all over the place about it.  Because it's an obviously transparent self-aggrandizing attempt.

Space Force!  Where can I pick up my own cadet?

c700x420.jpg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Are we gonna have a wall up there to keep illegal aliens out?  I mean, that's where we're going with this since the real life land version here in Texas backed by some of you fucking morons isn't coming to fruition.  It's impossible some of you are this stupid.  

It's called a shield, dude.

(Usually pretty dependable.  Can only be brought down by ethnic types down on earth as long as the DirectTV dish is pointed the right way.)

Think how awesome it'll be to be an 18 year old, wet behind the ears kid and getting to sign up for the Space Force.  Yeah you have to get your head shaved and do tons of PT, but think about what you can learn!  They'll teach you to shoot laser beams!  They'll teach you how to kill ET!  And you'll get to learn how to pilot space shuttles and do zero G shit!  Gotta be just as easy as learning how to drive a tank, right?

I kind of like the idea, but only if it focuses on expanding our horizons and knowledge rather than just setting up unmanned nuke dropping satellites.  We need to get manned space exploration going strong again, and we've lost our way when it comes to exploring for the sake of exploring.  If we make a moonbase, so will China and Russia.  We'll be able to make the advances necessary to colonize the solar system if their is a defense motive for doing so.

Russia wasn't the only one that lost the Cold War.  The rivalry caused the greatest growth in scientific and technological knowledge of all time.  Competitive defense research can occur even when there isn't a clear way to profit.  And ultimately, many of the things discovered or created can be extremely profitable. Without the Cold War, we may not even have the Internet yet.  And the Internet itself is still unprofitable even as every company in the world uses it to earn a profit.  Space can be the same.  The potential is there for profit in space mining and research, but only if governments first do the heavy lifting at scale that will ultimately lead to having multiple assist and supply sites for future private endeavors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I kind of like the idea, but only if it focuses on expanding our horizons and knowledge rather than just setting up unmanned nuke dropping satellites.  We need to get manned space exploration going strong again, and we've lost our way when it comes to exploring for the sake of exploring.  If we make a moonbase, so will China and Russia.  We'll be able to make the advances necessary to colonize the solar system if their is a defense motive for doing so.

Russia wasn't the only one that lost the Cold War.  The rivalry caused the greatest growth in scientific and technological knowledge of all time.  Competitive defense research can occur even when there isn't a clear way to profit.  And ultimately, many of the things discovered or created can be extremely profitable. Without the Cold War, we may not even have the Internet yet.  And the Internet itself is still unprofitable even as every company in the world uses it to earn a profit.  Space can be the same.  The potential is there for profit in space mining and research, but only if governments first do the heavy lifting at scale that will ultimately lead to having multiple assist and supply sites for future private endeavors.

I agree with a lot of that, except that we already have the necessary federal infrastructure (NASA, USAF Space Command) to handle/divide these duties.

All this is going to do is potentially duplicate expensive and resource-hungry missions that already exist, and it's going to take away from those existing groups. 

But Trump is a developer.  The idea of revitalizing something that already exists is not nearly as sexy as building something brand-new from the ground up, and revamping NASA is a lot harder than just spewing some bullshit out about a Space Force.

Plus it's a chance to make some government contractors a lot more money than they already do.  My guess is somebody's nephew that works for one of those contractors got a few minutes with El Trumpo.

6 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

We should put a skylight in his prison cell. 

Tomorrow Trump will be announcing the first ever greatest-of-all-time grand master of interstellar space-bass to oversee the creation of this new brigade of funky star troopers.

BootsyCollins_UsofAmerica?format=1500w

Edited by Goredho

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Why do we bother having a Congress any more?  Regardless of whether you like this or not (I don't), this should require legislation and funding.

Or the asshat sitting in the White House could just learn to filter out really stupid ideas before letting them slither out his fucking mouth.