Space force - the 6th military branch

bernorange

Creation of jobs is right if Space Force is gonna be separate but equal to AF:

"As of 2017, the service operates more than 5,369 military aircraft, 406 ICBMs and 170 military satellites. It has a $161 billion budget and is the second largest service branch, with 318,415 active duty personnel, 140,169 civilian personnel, 69,200 Air Force Reserve personnel, and 105,700 Air National Guard personnel."

Military industrial complex on line 1...

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I agree with a lot of that, except that we already have the necessary federal infrastructure (NASA, USAF Space Command) to handle/divide these duties.

All this is going to do is potentially duplicate expensive and resource-hungry missions that already exist, and it's going to take away from those existing groups. 

But Trump is a developer.  The idea of revitalizing something that already exists is not nearly as sexy as building something brand-new from the ground up, and revamping NASA is a lot harder than just spewing some bullshit out about a Space Force.

Plus it's a chance to make some government contractors a lot more money than they already do.  My guess is somebody's nephew that works for one of those contractors got a few minutes with El Trumpo.

I agree, and I much prefer the name NASA.  If it was a good enough name for my great uncle to wear on his space suit, its a good enough name for my great grandkids to wear into space.

But when it comes to manned space travel, maybe a real estate huckster who declares bankruptcy after building each property is who we need.  The first foray to the moon was economically unnecessary if not outright waste, but is one of the crowning achievements of all time at this point in history.  The only reason we were even trying is because Russia was trying.  If we go for a base on the moon, it is a complete economic waste right now, but so will Russia and China.  And all of us will stay just because the other 2 are staying.  And while we are there, we will figure out how to sustain humanity long term in low gravity, we'll figure out how to create long term self-sustainable habitats, and we'll end up with a place that will be a launchpad for mars, outer planet, and deep space missions.  The moon has always been the key to colonizing and reaping the resources of the rest of the solar system.  Getting the moon to the point where its a proper way station is always going to be expensive and unprofitable in the short term.  It needs to be done to create a future massive market, but the market is never going to do it on its own.

Edited by FondrenRoad

As much as I shit on Trump, there is a need for something like this. Whether the existing branches already do an adequate job I have no idea. But there is a growing problem with satellite protection, space debris, etc. There are certainly worse ways to spend the bigliest tax cuts in the known universe.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

As much as I shit on Trump, there is a need for something like this. Whether the existing branches already do an adequate job I have no idea. But there is a growing problem with satellite protection, space debris, etc. There are certainly worse ways to spend the bigliest tax cuts in the known universe.

Eventually we will need a separate branch for space stuff. Just like the Army Air Corps eventually became the Air Force as the need for a separate branch grew. Whether we need a separate space force yet is something I'm not really educated on enough to have an opinion about.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Will they wear space pants?

Only if the mob can get through their dinner conversation about it.

I wear SPACE PANTS!  

Presidents don't have the security clearances to be told about what and who is behind the military ufo's that we have been seeing for decades. Nor are they allowed to know anything about the dealings we have with Exterreristials. 

So in typical Trump fashion, he is saying. Ok, fuck you. Don't tell me. I will put so much shit in space that will have so much contact with those motherfuckers that their existence will be undeniable. And oh, once everyone sees the undoctored pictures of the lunar bases on the Moon then everyone will know the truth.

Security clearance my ass!

Amirite?

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You know, this brilliantly solves the military’s obesity problem. You can be as fat as you want and still serve in the weightlessness of space. Bone spurs won’t matter either. Good thinking GOP.

That raises an interesting point.  With Dr. Candyman out as Trump's personal physician, he'll need a new way to lie about his weight on next years' physical. 

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Nah Mitt already has Kolob for eternity. 

Kolob is God's planet. Mitt just gets one in the neighborhood.

With his new Space Force, Trump can claim the 7 planets closest to Earth without leaving the solar system. Location, location, location.  

Presidents don't have the security clearances to be told about what and who is behind the military ufo's that we have been seeing for decades. Nor are they allowed to know anything about the dealings we have with Exterreristials. 

Wait... is there a security clearance above the rank of Commander in Chief?

So in typical Trump fashion, he is saying. Ok, fuck you. Don't tell me. I will put so much shit in space that will have so much contact with those motherfuckers that their existence will be undeniable. And oh, once everyone sees the undoctored pictures of the lunar bases on the Moon then everyone will know the truth.
Security clearance my ass!
Amirite?

6e5f43bc23e3f9910320a4f25e463eb3.gif
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, woohorn said:

Presidents come and go and no need to them everything. 

In practice, there are many things not disclosed to the President because there is no “need to know.” In some cases, it may even give the President plausible deniability (although in previous years, that might have been a political liability). If the President were to ask specifically about the issue, presumably the cognizant authorities would respond truthfully. However, some very classified things are known by only a few dozen people, so knowing enough to even ask the question many be unlikely. However, such knowledge is also unlikely to be needed to do the job of President.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-security-clearance-above-the-President

Eisenhower ran into it too. Listen to how he planned on handling it. TL;DR version: Either tell me what is going on or I will send the 1st Army from Colorado down there and "rip that place a part"

Edited by Dolemite

12 hours ago, woohorn said:

"Commander in chief" is not a security clearance level. So this question makes zero sense and can not be answered in the manner in which you are asking.

11 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

"Commander in chief" is not a security clearance level. So this question makes zero sense and can not be answered in the manner in which you are asking.

While Dolemite is cray, I imagine there are plenty of things the President doesn't know. Especially this one.  Dude would tweet about new tech or troop movements on the shitter if he had full knowledge. 

As far as our alien overlords go, we see them all the time. Mostly on Fall Saturdays because the weather is better for their reptile skin.  They just wipe our minds afterward and replace it with college football. You've never actually even watched a Longhorns game. They were all implanted. Vince Young is just a guy that owned a steakhouse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beyond the obvious budget and organizational issues, there is a change in basic philosophy in regards to space. Trump wants to militarize space exploration. He wants to “dominate “ space, which implies a hostility to rival exploration.

As a compromise, I suggest adding Trump to the next Mars rover mission.

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

Critics have mocked President Donald Trump's recent call for the U.S. military to create a "space force," but Morgan Stanley says the proposal could help create what the firm thinks will become the world's next trillion-dollar industry -- the business of outer space.

"Many investors would rather think about nearer-term themes that are actionable and can impact their portfolios in 2018. However, our conversations with various actors (current and retired) in the U.S. government, military and intelligence communities overwhelmingly indicate that space is an area where we will see significant development," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote Friday in a research note.

Trump raised eyebrows this month when he called for Pentagon officials to create a sixth branch of the military that would protect U.S. interests in space. But Morgan Stanley said in its note that his idea has some credence to it, as a space force would shore up the country's national security and get the military to "focus and accelerate investment in key technologies and capabilities."

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/trump-space-force-could-create-1-billion-dollar-industry-14630827