2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

'18 recruiting class: https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1829&g=2018

RHP Mason Bryant, LHP Thomas Burbank, SS Alec Carr, RHP Coy Cobb, 2B Lance Ford, 3B Peter Geib, SS Tanner Haney, OF Eric Kennedy, RHP Kolby Kubichek, SS Greyson Lembcke, RHP Ty Madden, RHP Owen Meaney, RHP Jack Neely, C Caston Peter, RHP Justin Quinn, SS Bryce Reagan, OF Chase Roberts. 

Simeon Woods Richardson already signed with the Mets. Korely Holland (OFer) has yet to make a decision. 

Transfers added to the roster: 

Bryson Smith. https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7739

.271/.315/.329 at Western Kentucky. Played 2B and 3B. 

Likely Returning position players: 

David Hamilton (SS), Tate Shaw (OF), Ryan Reynolds (3B), DJ Pretrinsky (C), Masen Hibbeler (OF/INF), Duke Ellis (OF), Zach Zubia (1B/DH), Austin Todd (OF)

Guys I have no clue about: Michael McCann (C), George Pappas (C), Sam Bertelson (INF), Turner Gauntt (C)

Likely returning pitchers: 

Kamron Fields (RHP), Bryce Elder (RHP), Nico O'Donnell (RHP), Donny Diaz (RHP), Blair Henley (RHP), Bennett Inoff (RHP), Matteo Bocchi (RHP), Cole Quintanilla (RHP), Tristan Stevens (RHP), Matthew Whelan (RHP), Brandon Ivey (LHP), Michael Streitmann (RHP), Chris Fearon (RHP), Beau Ridgeway (RHP)

*some of these arms are likely gone just from a numbers standpoint with the '18 class. 

A couple thoughts:

1) I would not mind adding a JUCO lefty to the roster. 

2) There's going to be a numbers crunch because the '18 class is big and there's a lot of players returning. Do not be surprised to see a couple guys sign free agent deals with a MLB team. 

3) '18 pitching class is loaded. 

4) The big question next year is who plays 1st? Most of the position players should be returning. 

5) Pierce showed last cycle that he will go out and sign JUCOs late. Maybe he does that again but not sure we really have the roster room this cycle. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

The likely returning pitcher list is not exciting. That’s not saying they can’t get better but...

The '18 pitching class is much better than the '17 pitching class. 

The '17 class was pretty much late cycle additions because all the good arms were already signed/committed by the time Pierce was hired. We probably have a top 5 pitching class coming in. 

Edited by texasstrong12

At the risk of stating the obvious, the biggest (offensive) weakness of the team was striking out way too often. Guys like Shaw, Reynolds, and Ellis need to put the ball in play more often. Summer ball and another year of development under Pierce will hopefully get us where we need to be.

Here is my best guess at what our team will look like next year:

Friday starter - Kingham or Shugart (I'm guessing we get one of them back)

Saturday - Henley

Sunday - Bocchi

Midweek - Whelan

Lineup:

SS Hamilton

RF Ellis

LF Hibbeler

DH Zubia

C Petrinsky

3B Reynolds 

1B Sam Bertelson

2B Bryson Smith

CF Shaw

I have a feeling we get one of Kingham or Shugart back but probably not both.  Both of them would be able to increase their draft stock pretty significantly if they return and have a great year.  There is a great opportunity for a freshman pitcher to work his way into the Sunday or midweek start next year but until I see them I can't say who yet.  Our bullpen should be pretty solid with the return of Diaz and Quintanilla from injury and the incoming freshmen.

On offense we need to find someone at first base who has a little pop.  I would keep everyone where they played this year as we saw what happens when they get moved around already.  We had some great improvement offensively this year over last year.  We will need to take another step forward next year as we won't have Clemens to lean on.  I would love to see Fields push Shaw for playing time in CF as I am just not a big fan of shaw.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, the biggest (offensive) weakness of the team was striking out way too often. Guys like Shaw, Reynolds, and Ellis need to put the ball in play more often. Summer ball and another year of development under Pierce will hopefully get us where we need to be.

yea I was going to say timely hitting, but it is not even as much about getting hits as it is about not striking out with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd or worse 2nd and 3rd

not even getting one run home or moving the runners to scoring position with a sacrifice fly

Texas needs a Juco bat or 3 and as they said during the CWS Texas has not gone much to the Jucos in the past, but the past is the past and times change and Texas needs to go ahead and do something to sustain momentum from this season there is no room to step back with a coach that is going into his 3rd year and that exceeded season starting expectations

perhaps the new NCAA transfer rules will help as well Texas can pick up some players from other places that are D1-A

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

A couple thoughts:

1) I would not mind adding a JUCO lefty to the roster. 

2) There's going to be a numbers crunch because the '18 class is big and there's a lot of players returning. Do not be surprised to see a couple guys sign free agent deals with a MLB team. 

3) '18 pitching class is loaded. 

4) The big question next year is who plays 1st? Most of the position players should be returning. 

5) Pierce showed last cycle that he will go out and sign JUCOs late. Maybe he does that again but not sure we really have the roster room this cycle. 

1. Tristen Bayless

2. Much is being made of the incoming pitching class, and rightfully so, but there are a few returning position players in particular that I hope are pushed for playing time next year, and I think a couple freshmen are up to the task.

3. No need to elaborate, they are salty.

4. With an excess of outfielders, Hibbeler may get pushed back to the infield. This staff also tried Reynolds at 1st to start the year but had to move him back for defensive purposes. If we can find someone else to man 3rd then maybe he moves over.

5. Also no need to elaborate, but I do like Pierce’s approach in this regard.

15 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

yea I was going to say timely hitting, but it is not even as much about getting hits as it is about not striking out with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd or worse 2nd and 3rd

not even getting one run home or moving the runners to scoring position with a sacrifice fly

Texas needs a Juco bat or 3 and as they said during the CWS Texas has not gone much to the Jucos in the past, but the past is the past and times change and Texas needs to go ahead and do something to sustain momentum from this season there is no room to step back with a coach that is going into his 3rd year and that exceeded season starting expectations

perhaps the new NCAA transfer rules will help as well Texas can pick up some players from other places that are D1-A

Totally agree on the first part. We have to find ways to advance runners and drive in runs in situations where a hit isn't even required. It was astonishing how bad we were at this at times this year.

Regarding the JUCO stuff, we took a good amount of JUCO's last year and 3 of them were starters for us all year. Another will be a big time bullpen arm next year.  I don't think it's that "Texas" as an institution is against it. Augie just didn't regularly utilize it. Pierce has shown at Tulane and Texas that he will. We may not take a ton this year due to numbers, but Texas/Pierce are open to it and will utilize it if they think it will improve the team.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say there is no room to step back in Year 3 just because he massively overachieved in Year 2.  We won the Big 12 and went to Omaha. Our team could improve its talent level and still not achieve those results. A less successful season next year is definitely the most likely outcome, and I won't necessarily view that as a failure depending on what the team looks like and how they develop.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's two weeks to the signing deadline.  I really don't think we lose as many pitchers as some of y'all think.  

I have a hard time seeing Kingham and Shugart not leave. They're the only ones I think would significantly impact the team next year. Do you think either of them will be back?

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Can we buy whomever coaches Tenn. Tech hitters? They were quite the disciplined bunch.

Bryson Smith. https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7739

.271/.315/.329 at Western Kentucky. Played 2B and 3B. 

Why? Unless he is paying his own way....

Edited by pacman

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's two weeks to the signing deadline.  I really don't think we lose as many pitchers as some of y'all think.  

I wouldn't read much into the approaching deadline. Most are probably waiting to finalize things after the CWS. 

Shugart and Kingham are likely gone based on where they were drafted and the fact both are juniors. PJR and McGuire were honored as SRs on SR day. PJR has no future in baseball and is heading to law school. McGuire would be a 5th or 6th year SR if he returned so he's probably looking to move on. 

I think the only question is Sawyer. Sawyer is much like McGruire though. He's been in college for a long time so he might be ready to move on. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Kind of an oddball thing about McGuire.  I think we all know now that he was a Texas Cowboy and spent one or more seasons off the team, and, as the announcers mentioned, firing the cannon at the Disch rather than kicking a ball around it.

McGuire seems like a good dude and I very much appreciate his contributions, but it seems a bit odd that a guy that thought about and actually did leave Texas (and came back) would be a Cowboy.  I suppose he isn't the first transfer student to be a Cowboy, but you'd kind of think Cowboys would have to be all-Texas all the time and that transferring away (even if the error was rectified) might be a disqualifying event.

welp, happened sooner than I thought.  Great sign-off though.  Aces in my book.  My lasting memory of him will be when everybody was either celebrating or throwing a pissy-fit after that LF-foul call in the regionals to end it all with IU.  Chase calmed and collected himself on the mound and was the first one ready to get back to work, even before the highly-paid coaches and umps.  I knew then we were in good hands.  He'll make it to the show, not completely on his stuff, but also because of his grit and fire.  

Based on my understanding you are only slotted to give players after the 10th round $125k unless you use some of the money from players drafted in the top 10 rounds. So you can see why he would sign. The Indians gave him an additional $375 K over his slotted value. 

It makes sense because Holland was considered a top prospect. 

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2018/6/11/17444874/indians-2018-draft-tracker-who-signed-how-much

Here's the Indians draft tracker. 

They had $4,941,900 remaining with Kwan, Naylor and Hankins. 

-2,578, 138 for Naylor

-2,246, 022 for Hankins

-390K for Holland 

=4, 824,550

So Kwan will sign at $117, 350 based on these numbers. About 200k under his slot value. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Pappas graduated this Spring so would not think he would return.  

Thought Gauntt may be a transfer candidate but they sent him to Santa Barbara (excellent program) this Summer so they must like him.     Perhaps Peter can also play 1B ?

Still a crowded roster.   Pierce's theory seems to be to over-recruit and transfer out questionable contributors.

Edit:   McCann is a Redshirt Junior so he may be on track to graduate in December - but you can tell he loves the game so he may return if he does graduate.

Edited by torre

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

We have 5 potential catchers (Petrinsky, McCann, Pappas, Gauntt, Peter). 

So we're obviously going to lose a couple of the players out of this group. 

Come on down Caston Peter! He was my stepson’s batterymate at Stratford last season. Great catcher and even a better kid. He played a little third base last year and I’m sure he could play first. 

Guest Lobo

Well, I suppose we should start piecing the non-conf. schedule together then.  Conference was already published.  We're heading back to Palo Alto.  Not playing in Houston or any other neutral site tourney it appears.  LSU is coming here.  I don't know of anything else but I bet we can figure it out...

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Well, I suppose we should start piecing the non-conf. schedule together then.  Conference was already published.  We're heading back to Palo Alto.  Not playing in Houston or any other neutral site tourney it appears.  LSU is coming here.  I don't know of anything else but I bet we can figure it out...

Rumor has it we open with Rice.