2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

Noticed on the LSU site that fans going to away games must contact the host team for tickets (if site is correct).    Keep that in mind when single game tickets go on sale.

Away-Game Tickets
Away-game tickets are not available through the LSU Ticket Office. Please contact the Athletic Ticket Office of the host university for more information.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=177299

College rule changes:

-2 challenges per game if the technology is available

-You cannot make a move to be hit by pitch.  If you do, it's a strike

-Six defensive conferences per game

-Third to first pickoff is outlawed

-No need to throw 4 balls for an intentional walk

-Defensive players are not allowed to block base w/o the ball

I will say that last one has been CONTENTIOUS in college softball. 

On 8/16/2018 at 4:16 PM, Valmy77 said:

I thought that was already the rule. Odd.

I think the old rule used to be that if you moved into the pitch and it would have been a strike, it would be called a strike.  If it would have been a ball, it was called a regular ball.

The new rule states that if you make a move to get hit (even if the ball is way off of the plate), it will be a called a strike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

That's quite the OOC schedule.

Yep,  playing Arkansas between the Tech and TCU series will be a challenge.    May have been best to schedule before conference play even if you had to wait a year.

Also,  NCAA now permits teams to schedule 2 Fall games with other NCAA teams without effecting 56 game regular season limit.    Interested to see who will be scheduled.  

If my mathematics are correct, I see 30 home games, down from the usual 33-34.  That's kind of a bummer, but our RPI sure as shit won't be an issue come tourney time.  Wow.

How is that we have our complete baseball schedule thru May released, but our basketball schedule isn't out yet?  

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Lobo said:

If my mathematics are correct, I see 30 home games, down from the usual 33-34.  That's kind of a bummer, but our RPI sure as shit won't be an issue come tourney time.  Wow.

How is that we have our complete baseball schedule thru May released, but our basketball schedule isn't out yet?  

Big 12 gonna Big 12.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure we can get down there that early with the munchkin.  But if any of y'all go...ask somebody there (players, staff, et. al.)...about the Fall Ball games.  Even if they can't reveal the opponents, try and get the dates out of 'em.  We're gonna miss about half of baseball season in 2019, so Fall Ball is more important than ever to the family.   Thanks.

Pierce's  Houston connections are evident.

AUSTIN, Texas—Baseball America today released its 2018 recruiting class rankings, with Texas Baseball coming in at No. 8, the best ranking for a Big 12 Conference program.

The 17-man freshman class is made up of seven right-handed pitchers—Mason Bryant (McCallum HS/Austin, Texas), Coy Cobb (Katy HS/Katy, Texas), Justin Eckhardt (Sealy HS/Sealy Texas), Kolby Kubichek (Bryan HS/Bryan, Texas), Ty Madden (Cypress Ranch HS/Cypress, Texas), Owen Meaney (St. Thomas HS/Houston, Texas), and Jack Neely (Churchill HS/San Antonio, Texas)—along with left-handed pitcher/first baseman Thomas Burbank (Monsignor Kelly HS/Beaumont, Texas), infielders Alec Carr (Kempner HS/Sugar Land, Texas), Lance Ford (Tivy HS/Kerrville, Texas), Peter Geib (Episcopal HS/Houston, Texas), Tanner Haney (Waco HS/Waco, Texas), Greyson Lembcke (Klein HS/Spring, Texas)Bryce Reagan (IMG Academy/Amherst, N.H.); catcher Caston Peter (Stratford HS, Houston, Texas); and outfielders Eric Kennedy (Calvary Christian HS/Tampa, Florida), and Chase Roberts (Oak Ridge HS (Texas)/Kingwood, Texas).

This marks the program's first Top-10 class since 2013. Earlier this week, the class was also ranked No. 9 by Perfect Game.

Texas will open fall practice later this month, with more information on the annual Orange & White Fall World Series to come soon. 

https://texassports.com/news/2018/9/12/baseballs-freshman-class-ranked-no-8-by-baseball-america.aspx

Wait so the development center is going to be attached to the park? Sweet.

They better have our Conference Championship from 2018 up on the banner outside next season, I know we are not about celebrating Conference titles but it is sometimes annoying how long we forget to do that.

Though McClennan and San Jac have good programs,    somewhat disappointed that a D1 school was not scheduled in the Fall.    

This was first year NCAA reinstated rule permitting Fall D1 games without affecting '19 schedule.    Not sure about other B12 teams,  but read that OU will play Arkansas and OkSt will play Vandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas’ pitching staff may need a revolving door next spring, because David Pierce has a ton of strong candidates to fill in the rotation. Somewhere in the top three promises to be 6-3 right-hander Ty Madden, who hit 98 mph on the radar gun Sunday, but Kamron Fields and Bryce Elder also looked strong. The one concern? The Longhorns have just two left-handed pitchers. Texas A&M has seven on its staff. That Texas shortage could present huge matchup problems. Masen Hibbeler played left field but could also be ticketed at second base, while versatile freshman stud Bryce Reagan is filling in at third for Ryan Reynolds, who had minor back surgery but will be ready for the spring.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20181016/bohls-nine-things-one-crazy-prediction

On 10/16/2018 at 11:12 PM, torre said:

The Longhorns have just two left-handed pitchers. Texas A&M has seven on its staff. 

I see Kurt is still his usual jackhole self.  Yes, Kurt, Texas must emulate the proud winning tradition of aggy baseball if they want to have any chance of success in the postseason.

• Like 1