2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

IT notes on Fall World Series:

Due to recovery from injury, neither Austin Todd nor Ryan Reynolds will participate in Texas’ three game Fall World Series (Thurs. 6 p.m., Fri. 3 p.m., Sun 1:30 p.m.)

Instead, they will serve as the managers for the White and Orange teams to cap off Texas’ fall baseball season.

Both players drafted their teams Wednesday, but head coach David Pierce, serving as “commissioner,” had to intervene. Several players were taken out of the draft pool and assigned to different teams, including David Hamilton.

DJ Petrinsky is currently rehabbing an injury, so a premium was placed on catcher. Todd used his second pick on a catcher when both had originally agreed to pick starters, then relievers, then closers, then position players.

When Todd picked freshman catcher Caston Peter, Pierce had to even out the teams.

“The commissioner stepped in because we were locked on our teams being set,” Reynolds said. “I like my team”

“I like my team,” Todd retorted.

Pierce said he had to balance the lineups.

Reynolds Orange team includes IF Sam Bertelson, RHP Mason Bryant, LHP/IF Thomas Burbank, IF Alec Carr, RHP Coy Cobb, RHP Donny Diaz, IF Lance Ford, C Turner Gauntt, IF Peter Geib, IF David Hamilton, IF Tanner Haney, RHP Blair Henley, LHP Brandon Ivey, OF Eric Kennedy, RHP Kolby Kubichek, IF Greyson Lembcke, RHP Jack Neely, RHP Nico O’Donnell, C Caston Peter, RHP Beau Ridgeway, RHP Tristan Stevens, and DH/IF Zach Zubia.

Todd’s White team will have RHP Matteo Bocchi, RHP Justin Eckhardt, RHP Bryce Elder, OF Duke Ellis, RHP Chris Fearon, RHP/OF Kamron Fields, RHP/IF Bennett Inoff, UTIL Masen Hibbeler, C Jordan Landell, RHP Ty Madden, C Michael McCann, RHP Owen Meaney, C DJ Petrinsky, LHP Jonny Petsch, RHP Cole Quintanilla, IF Bryce Reagan, OF Chase Roberts, OF Tate Shaw, IF Bryson Smith, RHP Michael Streitmann, and RHP Matt Whelan.

“It’s pretty cool to actually be put in Coach Pierce’s shoes,” Todd said. “You never know what you’re going to do when baseball’s done with you. You could be a coach one day. It’s pretty cool to see how he manages this whole thing and the kind of stress he’s under.

“I’m not saying we’re under any stress, but I get it.”

Notes:

-Pierce said Sean Allen and Phillip Miller would be the “general managers” for the two teams, with Phil Haig being the roving pitching coach.

-Pierce as to why he chose Todd and Reynolds to manage: “Those guys have been killing it in the rehab. They’ve been a little bit on the outside looking in, and I want them involved in this thing.”

-Pierce on the freshmen pitchers: “I feel like we’ve got pitchers in this group. They’re learning curve is very good. I really like Lance Ford and I really like Eric Kennedy and what they can bring potentially as a starter and potentially off the bench.”

-Donny Diaz hasn’t gotten back on the mound yet and had a setback recently. “We re-evaluated and everything’s fine.” Pierce said Cole Quintanilla has been “lights out.”

Edited by Machinator

Can see the lights of the Disch from here, looks cool on a brisk Autumn evening.  Serious question...I haven't been to Fall World Series question in years (well before they started selling beer at the stadium).  Want to take my uncle on Sunday...do they sell beer during this O&W series or no?  

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can see the lights of the Disch from here, looks cool on a brisk Autumn evening.  Serious question...I haven't been to Fall World Series question in years (well before they started selling beer at the stadium).  Want to take my uncle on Sunday...do they sell beer during this O&W series or no?  

Not positive,  but I don't think so.  Normally,   limited concessions with only one concession stand open.   That said,  I did not attend last year.

May want to bring your own and tailgate.  

I don't know how good Texas will be this year because they will be reliant on young arms but this is the best freshman pitching class we've had in a long time. 

This team will be really good in a year or two. There are some elite arms in this freshman pitching class. 

Go see what Pierce did at Rice with these type elite arms and it should get you excited. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Capn81 said:

Looks like a big class. I do not follow baseball recruiting at all, so this seems a bit heavy?

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/14/baseball-inks-15-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx    (recruit profiles)

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball    (roster)

Perhaps  ?

Check my figures,  but a very quick look at the current roster lists 45 players (35 max, 27 on scholarship are limits).    I count 8 seniors with 7 possible juniors that may leave (Hamilton, Henley, Todd, Zubia, Reynolds, Ellis, Diaz) which would total 15.     That would equal the incoming class but there are currently plus 10 on the roster. 

Pierce's strategy seems to be to over recruit/perform or out and some will have to leave.    We will see how it develops over time.   Most teams probably recruit similarly but not plus 10.   TCU's roster currently has only 19 players (incomplete) while OU's roster has 40.   Baylor/Tech rosters have not been posted.

Edited by torre

• 2 weeks later...