2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Preseason Awards:

Player of the Year: Brayden Taylor (TCU)

Pitcher of the Year: Juaron Watts-Brown (Oklahoma State)

Newcomer of the Year: Juaron Watts-Brown (Oklahoma State)

Freshman of the Year: Anthony Silva (TCU)

All-Conference Team:

C Hudson White (Texas Tech)

INF Nick Goodwin (Kansas State)

INF Jackson Nicklaus (Oklahoma)

INF Marcus Brown (Oklahoma State)

INF Roc Riggio (Oklahoma State)

INF Brayden Taylor (TCU)

OF John Spikeman (Oklahoma)

OF Austin Davis (TCU)

OF Elijah Nunez (TCU)

DH Ty Coleman (Texas Tech)

UT Nolan McLean (Oklahoma State)

SP Juaron Watts-Brown (Oklahoma State)

SP Lucas Gordon (Texas)

SP Tanner Witt (Texas)

SP Mason Molina (Texas Tech)

RP Luke Savage (TCU)

RP Garrett Wright (TCU)

My read on the other Big 12 teams outside of Texas this year:

TCU- Replacing 2 of 3 rotation guys but returning some key relievers, got Austin Davis from WVU and Tre Richardson from Baylor to add to their lineup. Braden Traylor back for his 12th year of eligibility. Should be a contender.

Tech- Replacing 2 of 3 rotation guys, lost Jung to the draft and several other talented hitters. I'm only seeing 4 returning starters in the lineup. I see them as a middle of the pack team.

OSU- Replacing their entire weekend rotation but right up there with TCU in my mind. Added Watts-Brown through the portal, got McLean back after his deal fell through with the Orioles. Riggio back. They should be pretty good.

OU- Also replacing their entire rotation, but get Spikerman, Pettis, Muniz and a few other hitters back. They have huge pitching marks on the pitching side but brought in a few good transfers. They definitely won't be as good as last year.

West Virginia- Going to have a chance every Friday night with Ben Hampton on the mound but they are going to be pretty bad. Lost Austin Davis to TCU so their lineup is a huge question mark.

Kansas State- Another team that looks like they will have no pitching. Hassell out of the year with TJ. Goodwin and Johnson will anchor their lineup but I don't see them as a top half team in the conference.

Kansas- This team was awful last year and then lost their 3 best players (Ahuna, Josenberger and Vanderhei). I only recognize about 4 names on the roster.

Baylor- Equally as bad. Returning 1 position player. Were awful on the mound last year.

Teams who want to compete for the conference title need to go like 10-2 in their 12 games against WVU, KSU, KU and Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday (2/18):

Vanderbilt 11

Oklahoma State 9

Georgia Southern 6

West Virginia 2

Valparaiso 11

Kansas 3

Kansas State 8

Stephen F. Austin 4

Texas Tech 10

Gonzaga 3

Central Michigan 20

Baylor 5

Cal Baptist 5

Oklahoma 2

Missouri 6

Texas 5

TCU 18

Arkansas 6

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Oh, TCU skull fucked Arkansas the day after they beat us? Cool Cool Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

They are ridiculously good offensively this year. Got Braden Taylor back for like his 10th year, added Tre Richardson from Baylor and Austin Davis from WVU, somehow got Anthony Silva on campus when he should have been a borderline first round pick.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They are ridiculously good offensively this year. Got Braden Taylor back for like his 10th year, added Tre Richardson from Baylor and Austin Davis from WVU, somehow got Anthony Silva on campus when he should have been a borderline first round pick.

Meanwhile we brought in a TCU cast off and a pitcher(?) … am I missing anyone? It’s just shocking that we either couldn’t attract top transfers or pierce thought we were good enough. Does our baseball NIL program suck or something?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

Meanwhile we brought in a TCU cast off and a pitcher(?) … am I missing anyone? It’s just shocking that we either couldn’t attract top transfers or pierce thought we were good enough. Does our baseball NIL program suck or something?

We brought in 9 transfers if you include the juco guys: OF Porter Brown, INF Tanner Carlson, C Garret Guillemette, RHP Charlie Hurley, RHP Heston Tole, RHP Cody Howard, LHP David Shaw, RHP DJ Burke and LHP Chris Stuart. I also wouldn’t consider Brown a castoff. He was a San Antonio kid who was looking for a fresh start but is a good player who would have played at TCU this year.

Joe Cook mentioned yesterday that we were in on several high profile transfers that chose other places due to NIL (RHP Juaron Watts-Brown for example, he picked Oklahoma State and is their Friday night guy). Watt-Brown visited Texas before OSU. Cook said our NIL setup was not what it is now and we should be in a better place moving forward. I believe the baseline that all players are receiving this year is $10K, which can go a long way in baseball when you don’t have full scholarships to hand out. The goal in the future is to never have a baseball guy who has to pay for school out of pocket.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

@immamac we demand fucking answers 

Also pissed we couldn’t snag Skenes. That seemed like a layup 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

We brought in 9 transfers if you include the juco guys: OF Porter Brown, INF Tanner Carlson, C Garret Guillemette, RHP Charlie Hurley, RHP Heston Tole, RHP Cody Howard, LHP David Shaw, RHP DJ Burke and LHP Chris Stuart.

Joe Cook mentioned yesterday that we were in on several high profile transfers that chose other places due to NIL (RHP Juaron Watts-Brown for example, he picked Oklahoma State and is their Friday night guy). Watt-Brown visited Texas before OSU. Cook said our NIL setup was not what it is now and we should be in a better place moving forward. I believe the baseline that all players are receiving this year is $10K, which can go a long way in baseball when you don’t have full scholarships to hand out. The goal in the future is to never have a baseball guy who has to pay for school out of pocket.

Holy shit I missed a lot. Thank you for un-ignoranting me

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We brought in 9 transfers if you include the juco guys: OF Porter Brown, INF Tanner Carlson, C Garret Guillemette, RHP Charlie Hurley, RHP Heston Tole, RHP Cody Howard, LHP David Shaw, RHP DJ Burke and LHP Chris Stuart.

We’re Texas. Dru Jones and Jackson Holliday outta be driving around Ferraris in Austin right now

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Holy shit I missed a lot. Thank you for un-ignoranting me

Was that your word of the day?

Edited by Fletch

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Plus Skenes is a stud that everyone wanted. Why would it be a layup?

Mainly because of the bromance Texas and Air Force had last year. Just seemed like after we eliminated them in the regional, Skenes was ready to join the team. 

Baylor drops their series to Central Michigan

OU in a dogfight with Cal Baptist to try to avoid a series loss (tied at 3 in the 7th)

OSU getting blasted by Arkansas. Will finish 1-2 in Arlington 

Kansas takes the rubber game against Valpo

WVU avoids the sweep against Georgia Southern

Edited by Hookem2147

I have the Air Force-OU game on and I didn't catch the beginning of the story but apparently the Air Force team sometimes gets to travel in Air Force Two (VP's jet) when it's not in use.  I'm not sure if they took it to Norman today.

I watched quite a bit of OU the last couple of days and I am not impressed at all at what they are putting out there on the mound. Was a red flag when they trotted out Kale Davis as their Friday night starter and he was reliever for OSU last year.

Edited by Hookem2147