2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

23 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Not going to rehash the weirdness of his transfer, but Kash is off to a pretty blazing start. Against a much easier than conference schedule, but man.

It was mentioned again on one of the 9.95 sites this week and it was said that Kash did not have a good attitude for much of last year and then wanted a guarantee headed into the offseason that he would start at 1B. At that point Texas wasn’t super sad to see him go.

I’m not a me first guy, but there’s a wide array of reasons for frustrations and what may be considered a good/bad attitude. And I don’t know Jack about how any of that went down.

But from an invested fan perspective, his departure is my biggest disappointment in this roster. Because he’s talented. Because he was here. At the same time, I’m probably higher on the talent/skills of this roster than most. Unfortunately, one of the slowest starters resides at the same position. I’ll let several speculate, but there’s a decent chance we have 1-3 more wins if he were here this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It was mentioned again on one of the 9.95 sites this week and it was said that Kash did not have a good attitude for much of last year and then wanted a guarantee headed into the offseason that he would start at 1B. At that point Texas wasn’t super sad to see him go.

Fuck him. Powell and O’Dowd didn’t exactly see the field much last year and now they’re everyday starters. Shit, Powell has sat around since 2020 waiting for his shot and now he’s one of our most important players 

Fuck him. Powell and O’Dowd didn’t exactly see the field much last year and now they’re everyday starters. Shit, Powell has sat around since 2020 waiting for his shot and now he’s one of our most important players 

O’Dowd had 46 plate appearances versus 26. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Powell that dude must like being at Texas and being a Longhorn. It ain’t all about the baseball for him or he would have left. Just think about if Flores and Thomas are hitting a lick, he doesn’t get the opportunities this year either. Maybe he grabs the DH role at some point.

As best I can tell, he pinch hits the first 4 games then sits game 5. Just reading the box scores, it looks like a lefty-righty DH thing may have been happening. He was not a full fledged starter to start.

O’Dowd had 46 plate appearances versus 26. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Powell that dude must like being at Texas and being a Longhorn. It ain’t all about the baseball for him or he would have left. Just think about if Flores and Thomas are hitting a lick, he doesn’t get the opportunities this year either. Maybe he grabs the DH role at some point.

As best I can tell, he pinch hits the first 4 games then sits game 5. Just reading the box scores, it looks like a lefty-righty DH thing may have been happening. He was not a full fledged starter to start.

Yeah, your point is where I was thinking. Lots of ways it could have gone down that shift our view, and we’ll never know. Very easily could be attitude, but its not like Pierce hasn’t shown himself to be pretty dogmatic about how he approaches lineup/pitching selection - one way or the other.

End of the day, it would make a big difference with him on the team. But we’ve got talent and more on the way. We’ll be fine

Six fucking errors to blow a lead late. I fucking hate that I let myself care every fucking year. My school is built in a fucking Indian burial ground or something. We’ll never accomplish anything that matters. Yes it’s early but this is the same shit every fucking year. If we’d just held the lead and made plays then yeah I guess were looking pretty good. But nope let’s just blow it with absolute stupidity. I just can’t anymore.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Six fucking errors to blow a lead late. I fucking hate that I let myself care every fucking year. My school is built in a fucking Indian burial ground or something. We’ll never accomplish anything that matters. Yes it’s early but this is the same shit every fucking year. If we’d just held the lead and made plays then yeah I guess were looking pretty good. But nope let’s just blow it with absolute stupidity. I just can’t anymore.

Do you know why Watts-Brown did not start,  he is the Friday guy  ?

TCU 13  OU 5

Tech 8  Ok St 7 (10 inn)   Game winning double by Kash

42 minutes ago, torre said:

Do you know why Watts-Brown did not start,  he is the Friday guy  ?

TCU 13  OU 5

Tech 8  Ok St 7 (10 inn)   Game winning double by Kash

Saw earlier where Watts-Brown is listed for Saturday this week. No idea why. He’s started every Friday so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am very low on OU this year. I do not think their pitching is good at all. They are a borderline tournament team in my eyes right now.

I also see where Spikerman is off to an awful start (.178) after hitting over .300 last year as a freshman. Sophomore slump is real.

Edited by Hookem2147

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Saw earlier where Watts-Brown is listed for Saturday this week. No idea why. He’s started every Friday so far.

Not sure, he should start today. I’m sure I overreacted but I only get to watch a few games a year, and watching the one where we blow a lead on six errors, including a fucking walk-off error, was super obnoxious to open the conference season. Tech swept us last year too in Stillwater, and beat us in the super regional a few years ago, they fucking own us.

Edited by 'stache

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Not sure, he should start today. I’m sure I overreacted but I only get to watch a few games a year, and watching the one where we blow a lead on six errors, including a fucking walk-off error, was super obnoxious to open the conference season. Tech swept us last year too in Stillwater, and beat us in the super regional a few years ago, they fucking own us.

Well they won’t sweep us.  Had a comfortable lead most of the game, and won 9-4 today.  Took a minute to find the optimist hat, but if it took 6 errors to blow a late lead and we won today…may be able to easily take the rubber match tomorrow.  

Who am I kidding, it’s baseball.  Transitive properties do not exist. 

Well Tech just GS’d to a 6-1 lead, and my brief optimism was instantly destroyed.  Life of a Poke

Was at the game Saturday and Sunday. If you asked me after the fourth inning today which Big 12 team was the best, I would have exclaimed OSU with great confidence.

But the pitching seems to tail off sharply after the top five or six arms. The defense is a little suspect. Their offense is really, REALLY, scary. Maybe even the best in the country good. Lots of big, athletic dudes. Tech was fortunate to take the series.

Also, Josh Holiday is petulant, petty, and kind of an a-hole. Not that it makes him all bad, but his act gets old after awhile

Big 12 tiers right now seem to be:

Tier 1: OSU and Tech

Tier 2: OU, WVU

Tier 2.5: Texas and TCU

Tier 3: K-State, Kansas and Baylor

I am not sold on WVU and OU, but I can't put Texas with or above them until I see more conference games. Kansas State is smoke and mirrors. They played an awful non conference schedule and were exposed at Baylor this weekend. TCU has more issues than expected, especially on the mound.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:37 AM, NorthLoop said:

Man... Baylor... almost makes you feel sorry for them. 

almost. 

I'm trying to imagine what it would take to make me feel sorry for Baylor.  Losing games doesn't even come close.

Frankly, we are probably talking about some sort of mass casualty incident, something I would not wish on anyone.

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

RPI Check:

Oklahoma State 12

West Virginia 19

Texas Tech 27

TCU 42

Texas 63

Oklahoma 70

Kansas State 118

Kansas 143

Baylor 223

Big 12 might be a little thinner this year.  Last year there were 6 in the top 50.  I would guess conference play will thin it out even more. 

23 hours ago, Homercles said:

Well Tech just GS’d to a 6-1 lead, and my brief optimism was instantly destroyed.  Life of a Poke

As negative as you can be, the fact that you chose a baseball series against Tech to test drive being optimistic is pretty terrible timing.  We're their bitch and as long as Tadlock is their coach, I doubt that will change.  I wanna hate Tech baseball, but I fucking respect them too much because they're everything we aren't, but I wish we could be.  It's like Baylor football (post rape culture), except I have no problem hating them.  Still jealous as fuck of them though.  You put OSU football through what Briles put them through and we wouldn't recover in my lifetime.  I'm old so we're only probably talking 20-30 years.   

On 3/17/2023 at 10:19 PM, 'stache said:

It's over 'stache.  We don't have to play them again until they eliminate us from the Big XII tournament.  As a reward for that, we'll get the possibility of losing to them again in a Super.  But at least we get a few months off from Tech embarrassing us in baseball.  

16 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

As negative as you can be, the fact that you chose a baseball series against Tech to test drive being optimistic is pretty terrible timing.  We're their bitch and as long as Tadlock is their coach, I doubt that will change.  I wanna hate Tech baseball, but I fucking respect them too much because they're everything we aren't, but I wish we could be.  It's like Baylor football (post rape culture), except I have no problem hating them.  Still jealous as fuck of them though.  You put OSU football through what Briles put them through and we wouldn't recover in my lifetime.  I'm old so we're only probably talking 20-30 years.   

I don’t respect tech baseball cause all of their players the last 10 whatever years have been complete douchebags. No wonder Kash ended up there 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I don’t respect tech baseball cause all of their players the last 10 whatever years have been complete douchebags. No wonder Kash ended up there 

That's true, but I'd gladly accept a team full of guys our opponents think are douchbags if they were as good as Tech's d-bags and played with as much heart and balls as they do.  Hell, I'd settle for a little heart and balls at this point from our baseball team.  

20 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That's true, but I'd gladly accept a team full of guys our opponents think are douchbags if they were as good as Tech's d-bags and played with as much heart and balls as they do.  Hell, I'd settle for a little heart and balls at this point from our baseball team.  

All of Gary Ward's teams.