2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

OU all the way down to #74 in RPI. Looking like potentially Skip Johnson could miss a regional 3/5 years at OU and only advanced out of a regional 1 year (not including the Covid year).

Last year seems like a fluke more than anything but probably bought him a couple more years. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

DI Baseball has Texas at 29th in RPI as of today. Sweeping Tech and taking the OSU series would be huge.

Future/past opps of note:

aggy: 38

Indiana: 40 - this series win is helping now (2-1).

CSF: 69 (1-2)

UTA: 72

Texas State: 93

Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 10.58.33.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

TEAM BIG 12 RECORD PCT. HOME AWAY STREAK OVERALL RECORD PCT. HOME AWAY NEUTRAL STREAK
Texas 3-0 1.000 3-0 0-0 W3 18-7 .720 17-2 1-2 0-3 W14
Oklahoma State 4-2 .667 3-0 1-2 W3 20-5 .800 16-1 3-2 1-2 W4
Kansas State 4-2 .667 3-0 1-2 W3 17-8 .680 11-1 6-4 0-3 W3
TCU 4-2 .667 3-0 1-2 W3 15-9 .625 9-4 2-3 4-2 W5
Texas Tech 2-4 .333 2-1 0-3 L3 18-7 .720 17-2 0-3 1-2 L3
Oklahoma 2-4 .333 2-1 0-3 L3 13-11 .542 8-5 3-4 2-2 L4
Baylor 2-4 .333 2-1 0-3 L3 9-15 .375 9-9 0-6 0-0 L3
West Virginia 0-0 .000 0-0 0-0   18-6 .750 7-2 9-4 2-0 L1
Kansas 0-3 .000 0-0 0-3 L3 8-14 .364 1-0 2-9 5-5 L4
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 3/20/2023 at 3:40 PM, Go Pokes said:

As negative as you can be, the fact that you chose a baseball series against Tech to test drive being optimistic is pretty terrible timing.  We're their bitch and as long as Tadlock is their coach, I doubt that will change.  I wanna hate Tech baseball, but I fucking respect them too much because they're everything we aren't, but I wish we could be.  It's like Baylor football (post rape culture), except I have no problem hating them.  Still jealous as fuck of them though.  You put OSU football through what Briles put them through and we wouldn't recover in my lifetime.  I'm old so we're only probably talking 20-30 years.   

Yeah I have tried to tone down the defeatist attitude…the way football and basketball season ended don’t help me much.  

For baseball it sucked to see us lose the Tceh series but sweeping Baylor seems a good warm up for a surging Texas team.  Glad it’s at home at least.    As noted above, bullpen needs to be stronger.

Baseball overall is such a weird sport, full of big momentum swings that can turn a game in a few ABs and mentality being such a large part of it. I don’t get caught up in the highs/lows as much, it’s a long season and Holliday tends to have us playing cohesively as the postseason nears and the bats seem to be working this year.  

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I have tried to tone down the defeatist attitude…the way football and basketball season ended don’t help me much.  

For baseball it sucked to see us lose the Tceh series but sweeping Baylor seems a good warm up for a surging Texas team.  Glad it’s at home at least.    As noted above, bullpen needs to be stronger.

Baseball overall is such a weird sport, full of big momentum swings that can turn a game in a few ABs and mentality being such a large part of it. I don’t get caught up in the highs/lows as much, it’s a long season and Holliday tends to have us playing cohesively as the postseason nears and the bats seem to be working this year.  

Bullpen does need to be better, but losing the Tech series also felt kind of fluky. 

We dominated them 2/3 games and just lost that Friday night game because of a handful of ill-timed errors for a team that has been rock-solid in the field all year. To put it in perspective, we gave up 4 unearned runs in that single game and have only given up 17 unearned runs in 24 other games this season.

Yes they still won the series and it still counts obviously, but we had that series won save for a few uncharacteristically stupid errors.

Texas series this weekend should be a lot of fun. Weekend weather is looking mostly pretty nice so hopefully O’Brate will be packed out.

19 hours ago, Homercles said:

Now that the Tech series is behind us, we can be confident again.  Even as well as UT is playing, at least they don't seem to have a voodoo hex on us.  Our games are usually well fought and the team that wins is the team that played better.  Win or lose, I can live with that type of series.  I'd like to reach that point against Tech, but it seems like a long way off.  

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Bullpen does need to be better, but losing the Tech series also felt kind of fluky. 

We dominated them 2/3 games and just lost that Friday night game because of a handful of ill-timed errors for a team that has been rock-solid in the field all year. To put it in perspective, we gave up 4 unearned runs in that single game and have only given up 17 unearned runs in 24 other games this season.

Yes they still won the series and it still counts obviously, but we had that series won save for a few uncharacteristically stupid errors.

That's my fucking point!  Argh!  No matter how well we play, you can always count on us to shit down our leg and blow the series against them.   I'm surprised they didn't thrown up a 10 spot in the 8th inning Saturday.  I literally did a double take when I looked at my phone and saw we won that game.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That's my fucking point!  Argh!  No matter how well we play, you can always count on us to shit down our leg and blow the series against them.   I'm surprised they didn't thrown up a 10 spot in the 8th inning Saturday.  I literally did a double take when I looked at my phone and saw we won that game.  

Haha touche.

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know what to think of Oklahoma State. 

They've played such a soft schedule. #62 strength of schedule. 

And of course weird shit happens on those Tuesday games, but man getting whipped by Dallas Baptist gives me some serious confidence that we're gonna fuck em up this weekend

Edited by Fletch

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU gives up 23 runs to Stanford tonight. Skip is well on his way to missing the tournament for the 3rd time in 6 seasons.

Skip has been pretty awful other than last season. 

Excluding the Covid year, he's likely going to miss the postseason in 3/5 years. The other year they made a regional as a 3 seed and didn't advance.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Skip has been pretty awful other than last season. 

Excluding the Covid year, he's likely going to miss the postseason in 3/5 years. The other year they made a regional as a 3 seed and didn't advance.

They of course extended him after the run last year. 750k a year through 2026. They also don’t give a damn about baseball at OU so he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They of course extended him after the run last year. 750k a year through 2026. They also don’t give a damn about baseball at OU so he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon

That buyout is nothing though. They won't fire him after this year following last year's run but I bet he's gone next season if it's this bad again. 

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Wow. OU sucks again.

Good.

I thought they were completely irrelevant around this time last year, but then look what happened. However, I don't think another pitcher is going to show up like the guy who came back from injury and threw great at the end of the year.

OU's Friday night starter is a guy who was just a pretty average reliever for Oklahoma State last year (Kale Davis).

Skip doesn't seem to be very good at putting together competitive rosters year after year and OU has pretty much zero NIL support for a sport like baseball.

Edited by Hookem2147