2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Jesus, OU. If they lose a series to baylor, they’re gonna get fucking murdered by us, okie state, tcu and West Virginia 

They already took 2 of 3 from TCU.

TCU and OU are the two most disappointing teams in the conference so far.

OSU, Texas, WVU and Tech appear to be the top 4 and then there is a large gap.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, Valmy77 said:

Clearly you want to get OSU on midweek games.

I said after the Texas series that both teams looked capable of the CWS or getting swept in a regional. Our last two horrific midweek blowout losses tells me we're a lot closer to the latter. Our pitching depth just isn't there. We replaced pretty much everyone so maybe it'll come together, but I have very little confidence right now in this team.

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tech dropped all the way to 63 in RPI after tonight’s terrible loss. They’re in big trouble because they don’t have many opportunities left for quality wins. 

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Damn shame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think this OSU baseball team will have a similar arc as our football team. By the end if the season we’ll all wonder how the hell this team was ever ranked in the top 10. Like the FB team, the last good thing they’ll do is beating UT, but that W is mostly due to Texas giving it away. Football team finished 5th and that seems about right for this team. Won’t surprise me if KSU sweeps us by a cumulative score of 48-0 and we lose the Bedlam series, even though OU looks awful.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, 'stache said:

I said after the Texas series that both teams looked capable of the CWS or getting swept in a regional. Our last two horrific midweek blowout losses tells me we're a lot closer to the latter. Our pitching depth just isn't there. We replaced pretty much everyone so maybe it'll come together, but I have very little confidence right now in this team.

I haven’t seen CWS caliber play from Texas once this season. Post season even a solid regional showing sure, super regional winner? Not really. CWS winning contender? Not even close.

things can happen, especially when Witt comes back but I’m not optimistic for a deep run - but anything can happen and has before - which is what makes those unexpected runs so magical. 

Edited by troph

You’re likely not going to be wowed by Texas. They are competitive with a very good #1 starter. Lots of arms that have gotten keys outs. We don’t have last years power, but we have power.

Even if they made the CWS, you might not feel like they’re that caliber. This team may have more momentum heading into the post season than last years though. Yes Hansen was good but was a little inconsistent. Stevens for the last half of last year was consistently poor if anything. Last years bullpen was all over the place. In the CWS, hitting and pitching were poor.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You’re likely not going to be wowed by Texas. They are competitive with a very good #1 starter. Lots of arms that have gotten keys outs. We don’t have last years power, but we have power.

Even if they made the CWS, you might not feel like they’re that caliber. This team may have more momentum heading into the post season than last years though. Yes Hansen was good but was a little inconsistent. Stevens for the last half of last year was consistently poor if anything. Last years bullpen was all over the place. In the CWS, hitting and pitching were poor.

Correct. Gordon is a good #1, but he likely isn't striking the fear in opposing teams that other #1's do that rack up the strikeouts and have the ability to punch out 12 in 6 innings.

Teams that rely on mashing the ball over the fence tend to struggle in Omaha because of how that stadium plays. You have to be able to pitch and play small ball, neither of which we could do in the two years where we went two and done.

You can piece together a pitching staff in Omaha with 1 good starter and an average starter (see Mississippi State in 2021), but you have to win that first game to get in the winners bracket. 

I'm starting to think the Big XII is pretty shitty at baseball this year.  I know we sure as hell aren't anything special, but apparently that label applies to every other team in the conference as well.  I just feel like Texas, TCU, and Tech are the three best teams in the conference and will probably end up top 3 by the end of the season.  Maybe one or two of the them will get a home regional but I doubt we have a top 8 seed this season.  OSU, WV, and the Kansas schools will probably battle for the middle and hope for 2 or 3 seeds.  Someone could start playing good consistent baseball and make a run to a top 10 seed, but it doesn't seem like any of them want it.  Well, I'm sure they want it but they don't have the talent to do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I'm starting to think the Big XII is pretty shitty at baseball this year.  I know we sure as hell aren't anything special, but apparently that label applies to every other team in the conference as well.  I just feel like Texas, TCU, and Tech are the three best teams in the conference and will probably end up top 3 by the end of the season.  Maybe one or two of the them will get a home regional but I doubt we have a top 8 seed this season.  OSU, WV, and the Kansas schools will probably battle for the middle and hope for 2 or 3 seeds.  Someone could start playing good consistent baseball and make a run to a top 10 seed, but it doesn't seem like any of them want it.  Well, I'm sure they want it but they don't have the talent to do it.  

It really is bad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The issue with projecting the CWS is outside a handful of teams everyone has major issues. It's difficult to predict. 

For instance, Boston College is #10 in RPI and a lot of people said they looked like a CWS team. This weekend they were swept by a decent Louisville team. 

All the games only go 9?

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Big 12 is the 4th best conference according to RPI so yeah it's not great this year. 

If Witt was healthy, Texas would likely win the Big 12 with ease this year. 

Seems like we still could. They have gone 6-3 and they haven't even played the bad teams yet.

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Big 12 is the 4th best conference according to RPI so yeah it's not great this year. 

If Witt was healthy, Texas would likely win the Big 12 with ease this year. 

As an aside, get ready for this to never be the case again. With the addition of Texas, SEC Baseball (although sometimes over favored in polls, especially non-RPI - human - polls) is going to be even more nuts.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

As an aside, get ready for this to never be the case again. With the addition of Texas, SEC Baseball (although sometimes over favored in polls, especially non-RPI - human - polls) is going to be even more nuts.

Definitely but I think the SEC West is drastically overrated this year. Outside of Arkansas and LSU, the SEC West is not great this season. 5/7 SEC West teams look like bubble teams this year. 

The SEC East is loaded this year though. 

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely but I think the SEC West is drastically overrated this year. Outside of Arkansas and LSU, the SEC West is not great this season. 5/7 SEC West teams look like bubble teams this year. 

Right. I'm just referencing the conference as a whole. Granted, its sheer size plays into this and needs to be adjusted. The Big12 gets shit on all the for competitiveness, but it only has 10 teams. When adjusted for size, it's really good in most sports most years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Well that is the thing. Obviously some of the SEC schools are going to have down years. But there are so many of them that the conference is just by law of averages and the resources it controls it is going to have a few contenders every single year. The Big 12 couldn't afford to have two powerhouses suddenly collapse like Ole Miss and MSU are...but the SEC barely blinks. Plenty of other schools to pick up the slack.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Right. I'm just referencing the conference as a whole. Granted, its sheer size plays into this and needs to be adjusted. The Big12 gets shit on all the for competitiveness, but it only has 10 teams. When adjusted for size, it's really good in most sports most years.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well that is the thing. Obviously some of the SEC schools are going to have down years. But there are so many of them that the conference is just by law of averages and the resources it controls it is going to have a few contenders every single year. The Big 12 couldn't afford to have two powerhouses suddenly collapse like Ole Miss and MSU are...but the SEC barely blinks. Plenty of other schools to pick up the slack.

Talking about this made me think of the SEC schedules for 2025 and beyond. So if Texas is paired each year for a 3 game series against OU and ATM each, for instance, how do the other 13 teams rotate on the schedule? I know they'd play 8 more 3 game series each year in a rotating format, but would it be a hodgepodge each year? Or 5 on for 4 years, off for 2 years, and then back on? Figured if anyone would know, it would be this board. 

Thinking about who to root for to be on the schedule in a given season, seems like an absolute crapshoot outside of Missouri. Sometimes SC is good and sometimes they aren't. Same is true for UK, Bama, etc. Texas may get one of the best permanent rivalry draws given that ATM perennially sucks with a season like last year being an outlier, and OU fitting mostly the same profile. 

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Conference RPI check:

Screenshot2023-04-11at10_23_25.thumb.png.0206120017d16fece42791f236dbf260.png

Conference Comparison:

Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 10.24.40.png

UTSA is pretty damn good this year. If they get placed in our regional as a 3-seed I will be a little nervous.

Also, how about Indiana. They have been pretty good. That's going to end up being a good series win.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, Gavin Kash made a terrible fucking decision. Texas is 1 bat away from being a legit team.

Some of these young players make terrible decisions because they don’t get playing time in year 1. But I guess enjoy slugging on a bad Texas Tech team. 

Fuck him. Have fun in shitass Lubbock on a shitass team, fucking pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What is it that other people are seeing in OSU that I'm not?  D1baseball still has us as the highest ranked team in the conference.  Heartland still has us at the top of the conference power rankings.  What the hell?  I don't get it.   Is this conference that bad?  The only thing I can come up with is winning the series against UT must count extra.  It's all I can think of that we're done.  And that was gift wrapped by a guy who refused to throw a strike until he got to the one guy on our team that can get a clutch hit.  

16 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

What is it that other people are seeing in OSU that I'm not?  D1baseball still has us as the highest ranked team in the conference.  Heartland still has us at the top of the conference power rankings.  What the hell?  I don't get it.   Is this conference that bad?  The only thing I can come up with is winning the series against UT must count extra.  It's all I can think of that we're done.  And that was gift wrapped by a guy who refused to throw a strike until he got to the one guy on our team that can get a clutch hit.  

There's a real chance no Big12 team makes a Super Regional this season. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see three make it either. I think the conference is that inconsistent.