2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

The weekend ahead:

Screenshot2023-04-14at14_48_35.thumb.png.272862a44df56688c73b1ae6a23381b9.png

- We finally get to see WVU play a good team in a three-game series. They did take two of three from both Xavier (RPI 37, SOS 70) and Kansas State, but neither are that great. Either way, Texas fans should hope for some sort of split in Stillwater. My apologies to the Poke fans here. 

- KSU @ KU will help with some separation too. Another series Texas would love to see a split.

- Lastly, Texas needs to sweep Baylor. If that happens, I feel pretty comfortable for now. Although, the TCU series looms large.

RPI check:

Screenshot2023-04-14at14_52_14.thumb.png.b972d0e0955ba95bb69300be8f717f76.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Watts-Brown with a rough first inning and WV up early 2-0. It would sure be cool if OSU could win one this weekend.

WVU up 5-3, B8

OU is up 4-3 on Tech, T7

KSU wins 5-4 over KU

Yeah, Texas needs WVU to get handed some Ls. Granted, they still have to play TCU, Tech and @Texas.

Yeah I guess we found some consistency. We are a consistent bad baseball team. We lost the ORU game on one of the dumbest errors possible. We had a lead in a late inning, 2 down, ORU guy pops it straight up to the pitcher. Third baseman charges in, calls off the pitcher, misses the catch which drops right on the mound. Let the fucking pitcher get the out!! ORU takes the lead in the next at bat.

I guess the UT series was mostly luck. Four straight losses. Least clutch team I’ve seen in a while. Strikes me as too late for it to somehow come together. So frustrating.

As things stand today, I only see the Big 12 getting 5 teams in the tournament (believe it was 5 last year as well). Baylor, Kansas, K-State and OU are not even close to the bubble right now.

Tech might also flirting with the bubble if they aren’t careful despite being a top 25 team right now because their RPI is meh.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

As things stand today, I only see the Big 12 getting 5 teams in the tournament (believe it was 5 last year as well). Baylor, Kansas, K-State and OU are not even close to the bubble right now.

Tech might also flirting with the bubble if they aren’t careful despite being a top 25 team right now because their RPI is meh.

I wouldn't assume OSU is in at this point.  We have series left against KSU, KU, and OU. There is zero reason to believe this team isn't capable of losing every series we have left and going 0-2 in the B12 tournament.  At this point, winning the Bedlam series will probably be our CWS.  

39 minutes ago, troph said:

you coulda argued he took a while to settle in, even Augie had a go at it. but not with this regression.  fuck ou. 

It's amazing to think back now, but there were a lot of people that wanted Augie fired after his 3rd and into his 4th year here.

Then he goes and reels off 7 trips to Omaha in the next 12 years.

I don't see Skip doing that.

38 minutes ago, torre said:

iirc,  @closetojumping (pls correct me) posted that OU dedicates most of their NLI funding to Football, Softball, Gymnastics.    OU Basketball finished in last place in the B12 with a 5-13 record.   

Thus, in today's times, difficult to recruit impact players.

They don't give a damn about basketball or baseball at that school. They are in for a rude awakening in the SEC in those sports. When they went to Omaha last year it was shocking to see how many OU fans either 1) didn't know or 2) didn't care

Edited by Hookem2147

44 minutes ago, torre said:

iirc,  @closetojumping (pls correct me) posted that OU dedicates most of their NLI funding to Football, Softball, Gymnastics.    OU Basketball finished in last place in the B12 with a 5-13 record.   

Thus, in today's times, difficult to recruit impact players.

This is correct and is viewed as an intelligent early approach to NIL when resources are limited. 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They don't give a damn about basketball or baseball at that school. They are in for a rude awakening in the SEC in those sports. When they went to Omaha last year it was shocking to see how many OU fans either 1) didn't know or 2) didn't care

They're going to be forced to take those sports seriously in the SEC. They will face enormous pressure from the headquarters and their peers. The SEC was sucking hind tit in basketball a half decade+ ago. Sankey hired consultants to make recommendations on how to fix their irrelevance on the nation level and then he followed their recommendations to what is considered high success.

One of the recommendations was that the schools weren't focused on hiring the right coaches and compensating them appropriately. Part of what was laid out as exemplary was a comparison of staff salaries to that of basketball coaches in other conferences. Sankey turned around and began putting significant pressure on any school with lackluster results. Georgia was lambasted for hiring Mike White last season, allegedly, inside the SEC offices and with their media partners. 

The same shit is true in baseball. MSU's possibly firing their HC 2 seasons after winning it all. That shit wouldn't happen at Texas, much less most other places. OU is going to have a reputational gun to their head in any sports valued by the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:38 PM, Go Pokes said:

I wouldn't assume OSU is in at this point.  We have series left against KSU, KU, and OU. There is zero reason to believe this team isn't capable of losing every series we have left and going 0-2 in the B12 tournament.  At this point, winning the Bedlam series will probably be our CWS.  

Yup, we're a bubble team, at best. Fundamentally broken. Just tuned into the midweek bedlam game ten minutes after start and we're already down 3 with no outs. I just don't get how we got so bad. Pitching is just atrocious. So many scoreless innings and stranded runners. I actually thought we'd be damn good this year.

Yup, we're a bubble team, at best. Fundamentally broken. Just tuned into the midweek bedlam game ten minutes after start and we're already down 3 with no outs. I just don't get how we got so bad. Pitching is just atrocious. So many scoreless innings and stranded runners. I actually thought we'd be damn good this year.

Like our ‘22 football team, I think by the end of the season we’ll be the worst team in the Big12. We won’t finish last due to some good play early, but I bet it’ll be pretty obvious who the worst team is. It’ll be Josh’s worst team for sure. There won’t be a magical run in the conference tournament this year to qualify. I can’t think of a single thing this team does well. I think it was Jeff who called them the least clutch team he’s every seen. That pretty much sums them up. Enough talent there to stay in 75% of our games but we seem to only be able to win about 20% of those.

"Least clutch" is something I said, but it's a very blatant problem, so wouldn't be surprised if other OSU fans have said it too. 

After the first, OSU is up 5-3, lol. At least their pitching sucks too. This game might end up with a football score in the 20s.

23 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Did I wander into the sad Cowboy support group meeting?

Yes. I prefer discussing OSU sports here. Every OSU board right now is 95% "fire everyone" in every sport (except softball I guess but even they have lost a few games). Even in baseball threads several jackasses use it to bitch about the AD and how he sucks because we're apparently the only school affected by the transfer portal in football and basketball and when anyone enters the portal it means everyone hates Gundy and Boynton, so fire them, and just hire some badass who everyone will love. It's annoying. I prefer annoying you guys, because why not. Also, the poke fans that found there way here are way cooler and reasonable than those on our own boards.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes. I prefer discussing OSU sports here. Every OSU board right now is 95% "fire everyone" in every sport (except softball I guess but even they have lost a few games). Even in baseball threads several jackasses use it to bitch about the AD and how he sucks because we're apparently the only school affected by the transfer portal in football and basketball and when anyone enters the portal it means everyone hates Gundy and Boynton, so fire them, and just hire some badass who everyone will love. It's annoying. I prefer annoying you guys, because why not. Also, the poke fans that found there way here are way cooler and reasonable than those on our own boards.

So maybe I should go to your boards to find reasonable Longhorn fans?

Fuck Kale Davis, stupid, traitorous, cockstain. Just got the shit rocked out of him in the eighth. Welcome back, mother fucker. I noticed when he entered the game the PA played "Shoulda Been a Cowboy." I'm here for the petty.

Any idea why he transferred. Seems odd to go from OSU to Ou in baseball. Maybe he enjoys playing in a shittier stadium for a shittier team with little fan support.

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yup, we're a bubble team, at best. Fundamentally broken

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

"Least clutch" is something I said, but it's a very blatant problem

15 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

You can practically smell the fear coming off our team through the TV

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

shittier team with little fan support.

Yeah, look at all that fan support for the Cowboys above!

With fans like that, who needs rivals?

Edited by Js1

Yeah, look at all that fan support for the Cowboys above!
With fans like that, who needs rivals?

Our team sucks. If we were sunshine pumping, you’d rightly mock us for being delusional. I’ll take this route.

For the record, that last one you quoted was referring to OU.

22 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Any idea why he transferred. Seems odd to go from OSU to Ou in baseball. Maybe he enjoys playing in a shittier stadium for a shittier team with little fan support.

Because he looks like a penis, match made in heaven.

• Haha 2