2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

On 4/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, LTtxfan said:

2023 B12 Baseball Standings

Screenshot_20230420-084659_kindlephoto-3607245.png.14a7cf548657c3f87e59f13c37d89e30.png

Horns have blOU, @tcu, @ku, and wvu left

Dang, hadn’t really followed the standings that closely, conference does seem down overall. We have KU, KSU, and OU series left, with non-con series against East Tennessee and @Michigan in between. Still possible to get back on track but I think it’s gonna be a mess of mediocrity. 

Dang, hadn’t really followed the standings that closely, conference does seem down overall. We have KU, KSU, and OU series left, with non-con series against East Tennessee and @Michigan in between. Still possible to get back on track but I think it’s gonna be a mess of mediocrity. 

I’m afraid this is actually as on track as this team is capable of.

Scheduling is so weird. We’ve played two more conference series than WVU, and now we have two straight non-con weekends. WVU could take a big lead if they win the next two series. Hopefully our pitching can get its shit together these next two weeks. But is there any conference team that is pitching consistent well right now?

Edited by 'stache

K-State wins game 1 over Tech. Now 10-6 in conference play. It’s too bad they played a joke of a non-conference schedule or they would be right in the mix for a 2 seed. They are on the wrong side of the bubble right now.

Still tough for me to see K-State winning the conference title. Their final two series of the year are at OSU and TCU at home.

Edited by Hookem2147

RPI update:

WVU- 16 (3-1 in Q1 games)

OSU- 20 (7-6 in Q1 games)

Texas- 26 (6-10 Q1 games)

TCU- 56 (6-9 in Q1 games)

Kansas State- 57 (4-7 in Q1 games)

OU- 59 (6-4 in Q1 games)

Tech- 61 (5-7 in Q1 games)

Kansas- 115 (2-5 in Q1 games)

Baylor- 162 (2-13 in Q1 games....sigh)

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Blowjob Rob strikes again. I swear we are utterly incapable of beating any midweek opponent with a pulse, and yet we schedule multiple midweeks against good opponents like ORU, Wichita State, and Dallas Baptist.

To be fair, the only opponent with a pulse we have beaten is UT and they gave that one to us.  

It says three posts up that you have 7 Q1 wins.  What counts as having a pulse?

Winning a series against a good team in the conference would be my thoughts. We’re probably a Q1 team and everybody with a pulse beats us, so I’m not sure how relevant Q1s are.

20 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Winning a series against a good team in the conference would be my thoughts. We’re probably a Q1 team and everybody with a pulse beats us, so I’m not sure how relevant Q1s are.

We're tied for second in a logjam at the top of the conference, so we're not struggling any more than other conference teams. I specifically mentioned midweek games because they rely heavily on the bullpen and ours is seemingly very weak. If I had to place a bet, I'd say that no Big 12 team makes the CWS this season. WVU seems destined to win the regular season, but who knows at this point. The tournament could be fun with no real favorites other than Baylor and Kansas appear to be pretty friggin terrible.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We're tied for second in a logjam at the top of the conference, so we're not struggling any more than other conference teams. I specifically mentioned midweek games because they rely heavily on the bullpen and ours is seemingly very weak. If I had to place a bet, I'd say that no Big 12 team makes the CWS this season. WVU seems destined to win the regular season, but who knows at this point. The tournament could be fun with no real favorites other than Baylor and Kansas appear to be pretty friggin terrible.

I think my problem is I drank the Kool-Aid and thought we actually had a team that could compete for Omaha.  We were a preseason top 8 team favored to win the Big XII.  Being in the thick of the conference race most years is pretty damn good and should give a fan hope for a post season run.  The Big XII is as bad as I can remember it being and we have very little chance of winning the conference.  6 of our 11 wins are vs BU and KU.  If we sweep KSU and OU, we can probably work our way up to hosting a regional, but that seems almost impossible for this team.  3-3 would be an accomplishment since it would mean we actually would win a series against a team not at the bottom of the standings.  

So "not struggling any more than other conference teams" isn't really something any of us should be fired up about.  Other than WVU, it just means we are all a bunch of slightly above average 2 seeds whose ceiling is probably losing in a regional final.  A miracle hot run of great pitching at the right time could change that for someone, but I don't see any way that team is going to be us.  So the lesson is...don't drink the fucking Kool-Aid.  

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

WVU still has to play OU, Tech, and @ Texas. That's a finish wearing a lot of risk on it for you to assume the conference title is their destiny. 2-1, 1-2, 1-2 puts them at 15-9. If Texas goes 15-9, they win the conference given that they'd have a head to head advantage with WVU. You guys or KSU winning out gives it to you. WVU melting down because they're West Virginia could also happen. If they close going 3-6, someone else is winning the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1