2023 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

On 5/12/2023 at 8:15 AM, 'stache said:

Big series OSU v. KSU. My hope is that Nolan McLeans return is a boost with his bat and in the bullpen to push us through the rest of the season and postseason. Watts Brown really needs a good showing.

I had to bow out for awhile, got tired of being disappointed and the ORU loss pissed me off…but damn bats came alive against KSU.  Run ruled them 12-2 today to take the series.  Too bad we were battling from behind for all of game 1 and lost by one run.  

I’d say I’m hopeful for a late/post season surge…but every other sport this year has been sudden disappointment, so not gonna get all gangsta wild here with optimism 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there a regular season trophy like in basketball? I don’t think there is. We’d need to sweep OU and for UT to sweep WVU to end up in first place. But I don’t think it really matters, we need a strong postseason. Hoping for a late push. P

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is there a regular season trophy like in basketball? I don’t think there is. We’d need to sweep OU and for UT to sweep WVU to end up in first place. But I don’t think it really matters, we need a strong postseason. Hoping for a late push. P

I think it only matters for seeding in the conference tourney, but it couldn’t hurt the hosting resume.  I just looked and it appears that in a 3 way tie with OSU/WVU/UT that OSU wins the tie breaker, but in a 4 way tie with OSO/KSU/WVU/UT that UT wins the tie breaker.

I currently see things like this:

WVU- Tournament lock. Definitely a host right now. RPI is 17

OSU- Tournament lock. Borderline host. RPI is 21

Texas- Safely in the field as 2. Not a host currently but could be in the mix with a strong finish. RPI is 31

Texas Tech- In the field as weak 2 or strong 3 as long as they don't lose a series to Kansas at home. RPI is 41

OU- Bubble. RPI is 38 but they probably need to win 2 of 3 from OSU. Will be interesting to see the committee factors in the injuries they had. They have been much better the last 3-4 weeks with their team at full strength.

K-State- Bubble. RPI is 48. Winner of their series against TCU is probably projected in the field heading into the conference tournament

TCU- See above. RPI is 52.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Going to need more than one I think since OSU has the tiebreaker on us.  I’m not sure how it would work in a three way though.

That is only if we care about who is #1 in the post season tournament. A tie is a co-championship which is fine.

46 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Stop fucking calling for sweeps. Goddamn it. None of you fucking learn.

I am just saying what has to happen to win a share of the regular season championship. I am certainly not predicting it is going to happen, we are in a pretty desperate situation but it is still theoretically possible. We can blow a lead against anybody and everybody.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Texas goes 3-0 v WVU and they win Big 12 and host? Seems pretty clear.

OSU would win the title, they only have eight losses. We would need OU to beat them at least once.

But even in the unlikely scenario we sweep WV and OU gets one win, we still would probably need to win some games in the conference tournament to host.

So WVU is the only team that can win outright.

WVU wins, they win outright regardless of Bedlam III. OSU also gets the 2 seed regardless of Bedlam III. If its an OSU-UT tie we have the tiebreaker. If its an OSU-UT-KSU tie, OSU gets the 2 seed with the tiebreaker (5-1), UT gets the 3 seed (3-3), KSU gets the 4 seed (1-5).

UT and OSU both win, three way co-champs. UT gets the 1 (4-2), OSU gets the 2 (3-3), WVU gets the 3 (2-4). 

UT wins and OSU loses. UT and WVU are co-champs, UT gets the 1, WVU gets the 2, OSU gets the 3 (regardless of KSU-TCU result as OSU has the tiebreaker over KSU)

I'm almost certain that's correct.

EDIT: Original post had the OSU-WVU-UT tiebreaker wrong. 

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, troph said:

Three way or four way tie  brought to you by Texas and a few boneheaded 9th inning pitching melt downs. 

Eh. Still #1.

The issue is more of the ncaa tournament seeding and not the Big 12.

With some wins in the tourney and a good showing, we could host a regional. 

40 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Eh. Still #1.

The issue is more of the ncaa tournament seeding and not the Big 12.

With some wins in the tourney and a good showing, we could host a regional. 

Rolling into the post season the right way, for sure. Need bats to stay hot and the bullpen to piece it together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saturday (5/20):

Texas 7

West Virginia 3

Oklahoma State 11

Oklahoma 1

TCU 4

Kansas State 3

Texas Tech 15

Kansas 1

Baylor 5

CSU Bakersfield 2

Texas, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State are your 2023 Big 12 Regular Season Co-Champions. Conference tournament starts Wednesday.