Post-Beard Game #7 - Texas @ Tennessee (Big12-SEC / Top 10 Matchup); Saturday 5pm, ESPN (College BB Game Day)

Js1

My favorite part of this game was when Cunningham got called for a foul and they reviewed him for a flagrant.  The review was so obviously against Tennessee that they had to switch it to an intentional foul on them.  Then the broadcast just completely glosses over the whole thing.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Kstate would be a better matchup for them.  They have the water bug guard that can stay in front of Zeigler and the big fat post player who can body up on the their big guy.   

Good call. They'd have the best shot.

KU would have had the same matchup issues.

I'm also assuming any other team gets a shit whistle.

Whoever's coaching this bunch next year has better get serious about hitting the portal for some guys with length and strength. I know the tournament is all about guard play, but our guards aren't good enough to overcome that deficiency. 

Oh, and I'm ready to say it: Brock is our third-best player, at least in a rugged game like this. He needs to play as many minutes as fouls will allow. 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

This wasn’t a bad game offensively.  They are the best defensive team in the country and we’re only the second team to score 70+ on them.  But the defense continues to disappoint.  Too many easy pick and rolls, drives to the basket, and open 3s..

Yup. Not gonna beat a top 5 team on their own floor when u let em shoot 56%

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Won’t hurt our seed. I think we end up a 4/5 seed. 

Our seeding will be decided based on how we do in the next few games. I see us getting anywhere between 2-4. 5 seems unlikely unless we shit the bed down the stretch.

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I've never seen a good team get their hands on so many potential rebounds while collecting so few. We were horrible in that area again tonight. 

In our last offensive possession, I believe at least 3 horns touched the ball before Tennessee ended up with the rebound. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Carr really struggled today. He shoots a little better and we are in that game.

Carr was fine. Say he shoots 50% we still lose by 5 points. He was a little too passive in the 1H but God forbid he tries to instill some confidence in his teammates. I will admit that Tenn did a good job of defending him and taking him out of his rhythm early.

His main fuck up was picking up a dumb 2nd foul early. I'm not sure if Terry really needed to pull him as soon as that happened - and Terry certainly didn't need to pull him after he got his 3rd foul when we were down 12 or 14 or whatever. 

Carr isn't going to go 9/14 and 4/6 from 3 every game. The rest of the team needs to be more consistent to weather his off shooting nights. Rice did that tonight - Disu, Allen and Hunter didn't. 

Terry coached a particularly bad game. The officiating was poor and not in our favor. You move on to the next one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The setup on this thing is so dumb.  The home teams should not get their conference’s refs.  It should be the away team’s conference refs.  But really there should be no conference refs.  Refs should be rotated around with a National group of refs for the top 6 conferences and a group for everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The setup on this thing is so dumb.  The home teams should not get their conference’s refs.  It should be the away team’s conference refs.  But really there should be no conference refs.  Refs should be rotated around with a National group of refs for the top 6 conferences and a group for everyone else.

There are no conference refs in basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BarthHollamew said:

We need true big man so bad.  We have no answer for the really physical teams, especially the ones that are good at getting to the front of the rim. 

no, we need the coach who knows how to win with this kind of roster to not get arrested for felony domestic violence.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

KU already beat Tennessee by 14 this year. 

You're right. They already played. I missed that. 

Except Kansas lost by 14. 

So, you know...

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no, we need the coach who knows how to win with this kind of roster to not get arrested for felony domestic violence.

Right. The "OMG WE NEED A BIG MAN" shit is tiresome. 

To expound - as a child of the 90s - the greatest college basketball team I've seen in my almost 30 years on the planet was the 2018 Villanova Wildcats who had ZERO players 6'10" or taller. 

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're right. They already played. I missed that. 

Except Kansas lost by 14. 

So, you know...

Right. The "OMG WE NEED A BIG MAN" shit is tiresome. 

To expound - as a child of the 90s - the greatest college basketball team I've seen in my almost 30 years on the planet was the 2018 Villanova Wildcats who had ZERO players 6'10" or taller. 

lol switched the teams, that's my bad, my blunder. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Jay Wrights title teams had thick, rugged dudes who would kick your ass on the boards.  Not baby giraffes.   2018 Villanova also shot 40% from 3 which makes up for a lot of other shortcomings.  

Beards FF team shot 36% from 3 but also had 3 guys who averaged more than 5 rebounds a game, one of whom was 6’10.  This team simply doesn’t have the inside game or the shooting ability from 3 to win a championship.   The calls for a skilled big man are a response to not having great shooters and no real inside game.  It would have made this particular team better to have one. 

This Barnes team could be a FF team.  They definitely have the inside game and rebounding.  Not sure they have the shooting though against a good defense.  If they go up against a physical team and have an average or poor shooting night they could be knocked off.  But they have a better chance than us, with or without Beard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Rodney Terry couldn't even keep the team properly defending the way they need to from the outside in. Contrast this to the Gonzaga performance and it's becoming obvious we're more done than grandma's Sizzler sirloin. 

3-4 seed with a very good possibility of getting upset in the first round. If not then cannon fodder in the 2nd round. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This Barnes team could be a FF team.  They definitely have the inside game and rebounding.  Not sure they have the shooting though against a good defense.  If they go up against a physical team and have an average or poor shooting night they could be knocked off.  But they have a better chance than us, with or without Beard.  

Have you seen a Rick Barnes coached tournament team?