Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

Just giving this its own thread since the video comes out today and the word is the video is the same or worse than Rodney King.

Memphis police basically saying they are waiting so late to release the video because they believe it to be so bad, they want the chance for kids to get home from school and people to get home from work so they are safe. 

• Rage+1 2

Was originally pulled over for reckless driving, but police chief has said that thus far they’ve been unable to substantiate the probable cause for that by looking at dash cam footage. Apparently he ran from initial confrontation with police and then had a 2nd confrontation. Cops that initially pulled him over were in an unmarked car, and he was also just 250 feet from his home when he was stopped. Incident happened on January 7th, he died from his injuries on January 10th. All 5 officers have been charged with murder among other charges.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Was originally pulled over for reckless driving, but police chief has said that thus far they’ve been unable to substantiate the probable cause for that by looking at dash cam footage. Apparently he ran from initial confrontation with police and then had a 2nd confrontation. Cops that initially pulled him over were in an unmarked car, and he was also just 250 feet from his home when he was stopped. Incident happened on January 7th, he died from his injuries on January 10th. All 5 officers have been charged with murder among other charges.

And the EMTs have been fired as well, which raises additional questions about how EMTs treat cop victims.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just giving this its own thread since the video comes out today and the word is the video is the same or worse than Rodney King.

Memphis police basically saying they are waiting so late to release the video because they believe it to be so bad, they want the chance for kids to get home from school and people to get home from work so they are safe. 

saw on the twitters somewhere that when the authorities were pressed on why they are waiting until Friday evening they replied that the video is so bad that it doesn't matter when they released it. 

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

saw on the twitters somewhere that when the authorities were pressed on why they are waiting until Friday evening they replied that the video is so bad that it doesn't matter when they released it. 

Just going by what I heard on the CNNs this morning, but yeah, I think it’s going to be terribad. 

Where are the cops and thin blue line folks who normally say “he should have just complied”?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Blue Lives Matter crowd has been pretty quiet about this one. I wonder what’s different 

They need to see the video first in order to create their victim blaming narrative.  I guarantee you they will find some way to blame it all on him. The cops "just got a little carried away with a guy who wasn't following directions!"  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Blue Lives Matter crowd has been pretty quiet about this one. I wonder what’s different 

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just going by what I heard on the CNNs this morning, but yeah, I think it’s going to be terribad. 

Where are the cops and thin blue line folks who normally say “he should have just complied”?

Gosh....I do indeed wonder what's different....it's a mystery, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that one thing we should be realizing is that racism can often ENHANCE how shitty cops can be.....but the primary color problem isn't black, or white -- it's blue.  Once you put on the blue, 1) you think you're above the law, and 2) you have contempt for everyone who isn't a cop.  The world is "blue" and "everyone else."  And whether the "everyone else" lives or dies in a given situation depends entirely on the mood and magnanimity of the guys in blue.

It's a completely broken culture, and I strongly doubt that it can ever be reformed.

Judge Dredd GIF

I do want to hear more about this story.  Why would anyone think it’s a good idea to pull someone over in an unmarked vehicle?  I don’t know if you’re police or not.

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Probably desperately looking up the victim's criminal history in order to smear him in the media culture war

Maybe.  It's also really hard when they look at all the mug shots and they ALL look like "thugs."  You know, "thugs."  Wink wink.

The overlap of "thin blue line" defenders and open or underlying racism is pretty damn strong.  So, when the bad actors in blue are also "thugs," there's some brainlock going down in that camp.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

.....but the primary color problem isn't black, or white

Explicit: “The primary [issue] isnt the [skin color]”

less than 10 minutes later:

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh....I do indeed wonder what's different....it's a mystery, I guess.

Implied: “The issue is the skin color of the cops”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, 52-80 said:

How about I put it to you in direct terms: when it comes to how COPS view the world, race IS an issue, but the primary issue is "blue heroes" vs. "everyone else" (which explains why minority cops also are bad news).  When it comes to how their defenders (members of the general public) view how cops behave, race is a strong factor in their evaluation of an incident -- "that thug shoulda just complied."  It's not the only factor -- there's a straight undercurrent of good old bootlicking -- but it's a significant factor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

“These-certain-people have not even commented on a video that nobody in the public has seen” is a hell of a Kafka trap. 

How dare they. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Well, the first is about why police are emboldened to inflict terror upon communities they are supposed to be serving. The second is about the public reaction to said terror. Come on man.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The officers have all been fired, charges are pending and also filed already against a couple of them, the PD has been extremely open about how bad this looks and is going to look, etc. We’ll see what happens tonight and this weekend, but the PD, City, etc have done what they can to be open and lay everything out in the last week up through releasing the camera footage today

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

How about I put it to you in direct terms: when it comes to how COPS view the world, race IS an issue, but the primary issue is "blue heroes" vs. "everyone else" (which explains why minority cops also are bad news).  When it comes to how their defenders (members of the general public) view how cops behave, race is a strong factor in their evaluation of an incident -- "that thug shoulda just complied."  It's not the only factor -- there's a straight undercurrent of good old bootlicking -- but it's a significant factor.

Is there any person of 8 billion in the world who can judge incidents on their individual merits…or must they all fall into the defender vs opposer typecast?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Is there any person of 8 billion in the world who can judge incidents on their individual merits…or must they all fall into the defender vs opposer typecast?

When the same crew ends up defending the cops no matter what (go ahead and dig into all the folks who continue to insist that the murder of George Floyd wasn't a murder at all, he was a junkie who killed himself), yeah, we should look askance at them.

And I'd say the same about those who conclude that every instance of use of force by the police is illegal/unjustified.  The problem is that our current policies on law enforcement are driven almost entirely by the first group, and very little by the second.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You're not very nuanced, are you? Kinda stupid, in fact.

5 cops beating 1 person to death without any any apparent risk (eg gun) involved points to 99.999% probability of an egregious, felonious conduct by the police, lacking any other visible evidence.

That goes regardless of the skin color of the people on either side of that transaction. 

Now some people are questioning WHY there hasn’t been any defense of the police….given the known fact above, on a day-old story, without video evidence. 

Are you dense, or just playing at it?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

5 cops beating 1 person to death without any any apparent risk (eg gun) involved points to 99.999% probability of an egregious, felonious conduct by the police, lacking any other visible evidence.

That goes regardless of the skin color of the people on either side of that transaction. 

Now some people are questioning WHY there hasn’t been any defense of the police….given the known fact above, on a day-old story, without video evidence. 

You're so close to getting it. I think you'll get there. Just make the connection. Good job, little buddy! I believe in you!

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When the same crew ends up defending the cops no matter what (go ahead and dig into all the folks who continue to insist that the murder of George Floyd wasn't a murder at all, he was a junkie who killed himself), yeah, we should look askance at them.

Can you keep being direct and tag exactly who these people are, and ask them if this situation is defensible and why….or we just do the vague fingerpointing thing 

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There have a been a few other indefensible incidents in the last couple of years that have been defended quite vigorously. There is one stark difference here. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

When the theory coming out 

1. He had drugs in his system 

2. He didn’t comply while getting hit in the head

3. he seemed confused after getting hit

4. he didn’t show “proper” respect

5. he had a bad relationship with “insert here” and that caused this

6. cops did to due to fearing for his life 

7. he had weapons in the car 

Truthfully can't decide if I want to watch this video.  I have zero desire to watch an innocent and defenseless man beaten to death by criminals acting under the authority of law enforcement officers.  On the other hand, I sort of feel "obligated" (don't know if that's the right word but only one I can think of as I type) (1) to watch it for his family to attempt in some small way to try to understand what they've been through and (2) to watch it as a member of society/human being because we "owe" it to HIM to see what he had to endure.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Can you keep being direct and tag exactly who these people are, and ask them if this situation is defensible and why….or we just do the vague fingerpointing thing 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14629794/candace-owens-george-floyd-drug-blames-dems-black-rioting/

for starters 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/how-to-watch-candace-owens-new-documentary-the-greatest-lie-ever-sold

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Truthfully can't decide if I want to watch this video.  I have zero desire to watch an innocent and defenseless man beaten to death by criminals acting under the authority of law enforcement officers.  On the other hand, I sort of feel "obligated" (don't know if that's the right word but only one I can think of as I type) (1) to watch it for his family to attempt in some small way to try to understand what they've been through and (2) to watch it as a member of society/human being because we "owe" it to HIM to see what he had to endure.  

Georgie:
Evidence of the old glazzies. Nothing up their sleeves. No magic, little Alex. A job for two, who are now of job age. The police.

Edited by HamsterHookah

i love how part of the conversation is centered around more training. i don't really need it security training at work but they make me take a 20 minute course everyone has to take annually. my boss's boss's boss has no idea who i am, what i do, or how much revenue i am responsible for bringing in annually but they sure as fuck know when I'm late with that stupid training. 

i don't think i need training on how not to beat someone to death though. this isn't deescalation issues. they beat this man to death. DEATH. more training my ass

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I got stranded at the Memphis airport when coming back from my honeymoon. Every person I dealt with, from the gate agent, to the cab driver, to the hotel clerk, was of a different race and was a huge piece of shit. It was a rainbow colalition of suck. So I'm rooting for the rioters.

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

This isn't the first time the bolded has happened, any thoughts on why this one is different?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

When the theory coming out 

1. He had drugs in his system 

2. He didn’t comply while getting hit in the head

3. he seemed confused after getting hit

4. he didn’t show “proper” respect

5. he had a bad relationship with “insert here” and that caused this

6. cops did to due to fearing for his life 

7. he had weapons in the car 

Don't forget 8. He had been in trouble with the law in the past (and it'll end up being something like an unpaid ticket that went warrant in 2014)

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This isn't the first time the bolded has happened, any thoughts on why this one is different?

Derek Chauvin, a white man, is in prison. As he should be. 

Philip Brailsford was never in prison, as he should have been. 

If these guys are convicted, then they should be. In the improbable case they aren’t, they wont be. But those proceedings havent happened. 

What is the gripe here?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I got stranded at the Memphis airport when coming back from my honeymoon. Every person I dealt with, from the gate agent, to the cab driver, to the hotel clerk, was of a different race and was a huge piece of shit. It was a rainbow colalition of suck. So I'm rooting for the rioters.

Memphis is a fucking shithole. Unfortunately spend too much time there working on a project with Fedex. Daughters' friends go or went to Rhodes College. They tell of stories of how shitty and unsafe Memphis is.

Memphis laughs at the national average for crime.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/tennessee/memphis/crime

https://www.areavibes.com/memphis-tn/crime/

image.thumb.png.00e9d8711904c070482b99dbc5cb43bd.png

• Like 1