Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It hit the news today. Its unfathomable people havent said something that nobody knew happened. Grr. 

it hit the news today?

today is the first you are hearing of this?

i mean, that's okay, apparently some white dude murdered his family and now it's all over the news and i have no idea what the hell is going on with that. we all get busy and miss the news cycle, but this has been talked about all fucking week.

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It hit the news today. Its unfathomable people havent said something that nobody knew happened. Grr. 

That’s blatantly not true. There have been protests in Memphis since this happened. Here’s a CBS news article from a week ago

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/tyre-nichols-death-arrest-protest-police-investigation-memphis-tennessee/

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Memphis is a fucking shithole. Unfortunately spend too much time there working on a project with Fedex. Daughters' friends go or went to Rhodes College. They tell of stories of how shitty and unsafe Memphis is.

Memphis laughs at the national average for crime.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/tennessee/memphis/crime

https://www.areavibes.com/memphis-tn/crime/

image.thumb.png.00e9d8711904c070482b99dbc5cb43bd.png

Worth it for the BBQ, though.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s blatantly not true. There have been protests in Memphis since this happened. Here’s a CBS news article from a week ago

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/tyre-nichols-death-arrest-protest-police-investigation-memphis-tennessee/

My point is the only known facts — 1 person dying at the literal hands of 5 without any possible threats (knives, guns) — is by itself damning and egregious enough…… no need to aggrieve yourself with imaginary grievances that nobody is defending the actions of the police. 

Like holy fucking shit, how or why would they.  

• Like 1

The extremist world we live in has extended to issues of the police. 

A solid step forward has been made with respect to police brutality. It’s not enough, but at least it’s improving. Cops are going to jail for illegal behavior. I assume this case will be pretty clear that the cops were wrong.

However, like every political issue, agendas and biases overtake facts. Now we are seeing situations where cops are being blamed for not dealing perfectly with the abhorrent and dangerous behavior of criminals. And we have the reverse.  Clearly improper police behavior is defended.  

Rather than objectively look at each case and make a proper determination, people automatically gravitate to “their side”. The cop is either never guilty or always guilty. The reality is it depends on the situation. But people don’t want to do that. They also don’t understand the concept of partial responsibility for a situation and refuse to take responsibility for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Just now, Dbeasy said:

A solid step forward has been made with respect to police brutality. It’s not enough, but at least it’s improving. Cops are going to jail for illegal behavior. I assume this case will be pretty clear that the cops were wrong.

However, like every political issue, agendas and biases overtake facts. Now we are seeing situations where cops are being blamed for not dealing perfectly with the abhorrent and dangerous behavior of criminals. And we have the reverse.  Clearly improper police behavior is defended.  

Rather than objectively look at each case and make a proper determination, people automatically gravitate to “their side”. The cop is either never guilty or always guilty. The reality is it depends on the situation. But people don’t want to do that. They also don’t understand the concept of partial responsibility for a situation and refuse to take responsibility for that. 

Is it, though? Sure, a few cops have been charged who in the past wouldn't have been. But police are killing more Americans than ever before.  It sure seems like police listened to 70%+ of Americans tell them they've gone too far and responded with "fuck you, I haven't even started."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

They need to see the video first in order to create their victim blaming narrative.  I guarantee you they will find some way to blame it all on him. The cops "just got a little carried away with a guy who wasn't following directions!"  

The boot lickers need all the footage. Every vid that comes out they need to know "What happened before the video starts". Shit they need to know what the victim had for breakfast. Anything to change the narrative.

Edited by purplepride95
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Is it, though? Sure, a few cops have been charged who in the past wouldn't have been. But police are killing more Americans than ever before.  It sure seems like police listened to 70%+ of Americans tell them they've gone too far and responded with "fuck you, I haven't even started."

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Are we? Is this actually happening? 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Great speech by whoever speaking now. 

There has been swift action to fire and charge these officers that committed crimes. This is the blueprint. It can be done. When there is video evidence. Took months and years to charge every other case. Never again. 

some say they were fired quickly because they're black and would not happen to 5 white cops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got stranded at the Memphis airport when coming back from my honeymoon. Every person I dealt with, from the gate agent, to the cab driver, to the hotel clerk, was of a different race and was a huge piece of shit. It was a rainbow colalition of suck. So I'm rooting for the rioters.

If fedex and Elvis pulled out the whole city would collapse.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

some say they were fired quickly because they're black and would not happen to 5 white cops. 

This is 100% true, not a doubt in my mind. And on the thought that riots shouldn't happen because something was done to the cops, the issue still remains that this shit shouldn't happen in the first place. We've learned a lot of lessons that shit doesn't change by just asking over and over and over again. It's not ideal, and riots and property damage probably shouldn't be so frequent, but it's hard to dispute the mindset of people who see their voiced ignored continuously without some action.

• Haha 1

I know officials need to prepare for the worst, and releasing the video late seems prudent, but is anyone really feeling like "cities are going to burn"?     Maybe there is a racist angle to the cops being fired so quickly; I really don't know, but they were fired and the wheels of justice are turning. The video may be bad, and it may give people another reason to hate cops, but it doesn't feel the same as George Floyd.

Full disclosure: I'm white, so WTF do I know. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

People in the thread have suggested this:

If people defend the police and bring up the black victims background, its because of racism  

If people dont defend the police and dont bring up the black victims background…its also because of racism  

(Also the black police chief fired those 5 officers, so she’s probably racist too)

The absolute melanin fascination of these people

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

If the video is as bad as they say.  Cities are going to burn tonight 

Just dipping my toes into this but- if the offending officers have been fired and charged with murder already, wouldn’t it be better if there are no riots?  Provide positive reinforcement for handling it the right way?  

I don’t have the first clue on how to tackle cop culture.  Quit molding your hiring practices to select dumb bullies is one thing though. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

The "Black" police chief didn't make this decision on her own. It doesn't usually happen this quick. In the past there would never be any charges until the video is released months later. I feel it would be naïve to not question the swift actions. I also recall the black officers being charged quickly with Freddie Gray.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

People in the thread have suggested this:

If people defend the police and bring up the black victims background, its because of racism  

Correct

If people dont defend the police and dont bring up the black victims background…its also because of racism  

Incorrect. It's actually "If people who typically defend the police, then don't defend the police when the police are black, and don't bring up the black victim's background...it's also because of racism."

See? It's not that hard to understand. But we all believe you'll eventually be able to make that very obvious connection, little buddy. We believe in you!

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

The speaking was making that argument. He made a good point. When there is video evidence of a crime, we don’t need 4 months of suspended without pay, or burying the video evidence for a year. Officers should be treated like any other person. If you kill someone, you should be charged with murder. It took 20 days in this case. It should take 20 days in every other case where an officer negligently killed a person. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just dipping my toes into this but- if the offending officers have been fired and charged with murder already, wouldn’t it be better if there are no riots?  Provide positive reinforcement for handling it the right way?  

I don’t have the first clue on how to tackle cop culture.  Quit molding your hiring practices to select dumb bullies is one thing though. 

Sure. But hear me out here - wouldn't it be best if the cops stopped murdering civilians? Because when that stops happening, the riots stop happening.

• Hook 'Em 5

I know officials need to prepare for the worst, and releasing the video late seems prudent, but is anyone really feeling like "cities are going to burn"?     Maybe there is a racist angle to the cops being fired so quickly; I really don't know, but they were fired and the wheels of justice are turning. The video may be bad, and it may give people another reason to hate cops, but it doesn't feel the same as George Floyd.

Don't discount your thoughts, they are as valid as anyone else posting here. Especially the ghouls.

I agree on this not having the same feel as GF. Or even Mike Brown. In those cases shit happened within days if not hours. Plus those guys basically died on site. So, Maybe because of lack of video, maybe because of who the cops are? But as you said the wheels of justice are turning. And that is what really matters.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Victim was black

Cops were black

Person that fired cops was a black woman. 

Racism?  Maybe yes.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sure. But hear me out here - wouldn't it be best if the cops stopped murdering civilians? Because when that stops happening, the riots stop happening.

beyond that, i think most folks don't have an understanding of how hard it is to beat someone to death.

a firearm discharge is 1000% more understandable than BEATING SOMEONE TO FUCKING DEATH.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Victim was black

Cops were black

Person that fired cops was a black woman. 

Racism?  Maybe yes.

what do you think?

i think we are starting to see interesting conversations erupt around this, up to and including inherent police bias with regards to the race of a civilian, regardless, or perhaps because of the race of the cops.

this song came out in 19fucking88. 35 fucking years ago. in 1988, 35 years previously was 1953, for reference. think about that for a second.

"black police showing out for the white cop"

these issues are not fucking new.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

beyond that, i think most folks don't have an understanding of how hard it is to beat someone to death.

a firearm discharge is 1000% more understandable than BEATING SOMEONE TO FUCKING DEATH.

yes, there are levels of difficulty in killing someone:

Gun (easy), stabbing (not that easy), beating with clubs/sticks (very difficult) 

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

sometimes i wonder about posters like you.

do you stop and actually think about what you post? or have you staked out your position and by god, that's all there is to it.

like, for example, i read your post and you seem hellbent on there being no racial animus here. why?

of course there is racial animus. this is fucking america.

you misunderstand my position, but get some credit for actually trying. 

i’ve lived now in many different countries in different continents. 

of course there is racial animus in america. there’s racial, ethnic, religious, class, and tribal animus everywhere on earth. the ingroup/outgroup has and will always be present. 

my position is that (1) theres less of it in america than ever before; (2) it is *NOT* the key driver of every scenario and event [as suggested for entire accident]; and (3) the supposedly-progressive people who link race to every situation because they are obsessed with race… are ipso facto racist 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Maybe not as hard as you think.  Hard strike to head, head hits concrete.  Not good

let's make a bet.

let's bet that isn't what happened here and what happened here was a severe beating that resulted in death, not a one-off accidental hit of the head.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

of course there is racial animus in america. there’s racial, ethnic, religious, class, and tribal animus everywhere on earth. the ingroup/outgroup has and will always be present. 

my position is that (1) theres less of it in america than ever before; (2) it is *NOT* the key driver of every scenario and event [as suggested for entire accident]; and (3) the supposedly-progressive people who link race to every situation because they are obsessed with race… are ipso facto racist 

see, you're falling into that trap of the unintentional racist with your (1) above.

just because there is "less" of it, which suffers already from a definition of what "it" (racial animus) is, but also from a matter of degree. america has been fucking racist for hundreds of years. like, slavery, then intentional segregation and intentional sabotaging of an entire race's opportunity in this country. sundown towns, the crazy ass biased justice system, the invented crack epidemic. great. we aren't giving native american people smallpox blankets any more. why aren't they happy?!?

also, that's a tool that intentional racists use on purpose to be disingenuous, so you might want to be careful there.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

let's make a bet.

let's bet that isn't what happened here and what happened here was a severe beating that resulted in death, not a one-off accidental hit of the head.

Sorry I don't gamble.  I'm just saying that I think it can happen.  IF I were to bet, and again, I don't gamble, I think this was a beat down. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Sorry I don't gamble.  I'm just saying that I think it can happen.  IF I were to bet, and again, I don't gamble, I think this was a beat down. 

oh, it can happen. tragically, it happened here in austin some time back, and affected members of our community. person a gets in fight with person b, somehow person a is hit or shoved and hits head on curb and dies.

it does happen.

but it didn't here. and because it didn't, i'll stand by my statement that it's fucking hard to beat someone to death.

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You should probably sit this one out. The only thing you're accomplishing here is continuing to show your ass and a complete lack of understanding.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

I think for the most part 1 is true. But there being less doesn't mean there isn't still a whole lot of it. That's what a lot of us want addressed. 

2 is also true and I don't believe anyone is arguing that race is the "key driver of every scenario and event."

3 is a disingenuous framing of the argument. You're using your belief that "supposedly-progressive people" link every situation to race, to justify denying that any one particular situation involves race. It also isn't racism to link systemic problems with race. Words have meanings, and the word "racism" doesn't fit what you're trying to describe.  

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have also lived around the globe, nice countries and shitholes. 

We need to be better. I do not want our police being compared to Haiti, Afghanistan, or even Dubai's. 

This shit needs to stop. Once you put on blue you serve and protect all of us, not just your brethren. 

Not according to the United States Supreme Court.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

see, you're falling into that trap of the unintentional racist with your (1) above.

just because there is "less" of it, which suffers already from a definition of what "it" (racial animus) is, but also from a matter of degree. america has been fucking racist for hundreds of years. like, slavery, then intentional segregation and intentional sabotaging of an entire race's opportunity in this country. sundown towns, the crazy ass biased justice system, the invented crack epidemic. great. we aren't giving native american people smallpox blankets any more. why aren't they happy?!?

also, that's a tool that intentional racists use on purpose to be disingenuous, so you might want to be careful there.

my opinion are my own, so im not concerned whether/who else might think similarly. if you were intellectually honest, you shouldnt care about that either. 

all the things you mentioned are *bad*. fortunately, theyre pretty much all gone. when theres a situation thats racially unjust, we should be able to debate about it honestly.

when a black police chief fires black police officers for killing a black guy…and people in this thread point to race as a factor, theyre displaying some seriously perverted pathology. 

29 minutes ago, royiv said:

You should probably sit this one out. The only thing you're accomplishing here is continuing to show your ass and a complete lack of understanding.

hitting too close to home? 

Edited by 52-80