Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I can picture it: you straining all of your will and might to concede you have no evidence of race as a factor, in the same post calling me out for evading the big bad race monster.

Racism is terrible. It's a weapon reserved for when the weapon is deserved. I want to discuss it - I am discussing it. Where's did you anybody show any shred of proof of its evidence here, before the charge was initially lobbied?  Is guilty before proven the new MO?  Can brisket or another lawyer please explain? Or you also a lawyer, or merely a pedophile? (see what i did there)

How do you define "here"? As I said, I actually don't think racism played in direct factor in this incident. And I don't think racism is why the cops were fired. And I don't think racism is why they'll go jail. I do think racism is why in all those other incidents with the Breonna Taylors and Ahmaud Arberys of the world that we didn't see such swift action, that we did see people jumping to the defense of the police for indefensible actions. The racism here is primarily the discrepancy between what is happening now and what happened with those other incidents that didn't involve black police officers.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Counterpoint. Did your parents have talks with you about how to interact with police when you were a young boy? Mine didn't. Many, if not most, Black families do:

9mew3dfhnmea1.jpg

John Singleton made a point to put this in Boyz in the Hood.  Tre and his father's interaction with the black cop was put in there for a reason

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That...is pretty fucking stupid.  Stereotyping based on things like, oh, one's skin color -- that's bullshit. 

Stereotyping based on actual objective actions and beliefs....well, that's exactly how reasonable behavior-based treatment works (I mean, it's a "stereotype" that people who wear orange longhorn gear are generally fans of longhorn athletics.  See, they've engaged in an activity and declared belief that correlates highly to the "stereotyped" thing).  Just like I can "stereotype" back-the-blue types as.....generally being strong supporters of law enforcement.  ZOMG!  See what I did there!  I "stereotyped" them!  How DARE I DO THAT!

Yes or no: are people with a "thin blue line" sticker on their vehicle likely to be 1) more or 2) less racist than the population in general?  You can do it.  I know you can.  Give us an honest answer.

There's positive stereotyping, and there's negative stereotyping.

"Africans are overrepresented in the NBA, because they're more athletic" is not an generally offensive observation. 

"Africans are underpresented in medicine, because they're not as capable" gets you banished from society.

Being a Longhorn fan isn't an offensive charge, neither is supporting law enforcement. 

But calling BlueLM/BTB/whatever racist is pretty fucking flagrant, and requires *you* to substantiate *your* claim.  Why is the notion of burden of proof hard to comprehend?  

Tell me which of these things you expressed that I interpreted wrongly:

* Cop supporters tend to be racists

* If Cop supporters speak out [to defend this killing], they're racist

* If Cop supporters don't speak out, it's because they're racist

Can I substitute Cop supporter with whatever group/affiliation you identify with, and then if you're not racist, it's easy - you guys can simply come here and say no.  Deal?

12 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The racism stuff is quickly becoming like the boy who cried wolf.  Look racism exists.  It sucks.  But every shitty thing that happens we are quick to pin it on racism.  It's not always racism.  This isn't racism.  This is a bunch of boot jack thug cops who over reached their authority and killed a dude.  Plain and simple.  The people who are saying it's racist de-sensitizes the shit that is actually racist.

You don’t know that. Just the fact that the cops were black doesn’t mean there wasn’t a racist component to their treatment of the victim. I don’t know what the statistics are but I’d be willing to bet that black citizens suffer disproportionately more violence from black cops than white citizens do just like they do from white cops.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Tell me which of these things you expressed that I interpreted wrongly:

* Cop supporters tend to be racists - strong correlation

* If Cop supporters speak out [to defend this killing], they're racist - similar correlation

* If Cop supporters don't speak out, it's because they're racist - weaker correlation, harder to determine

I'm pretty good with those conclusions.  None are perfect bullseyes, but matters of human behavior are impossible to place with perfect mathematical precision.  But how do we correlate "back the blue" types with racism?  Gee, I dunno.  Maybe the fact that folks displaying the blue line flag and similar gear also often are waving confederate flags, display other outward symbols of white supremacy, or are just out-and-out white supremacists waving the blue line flag, like at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville?

Answer my question yes or no: is someone displaying "back the blue" stuff 1) more likely or 2) less likely to be racist than the population at large?

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How do you define "here"? As I said, I actually don't think racism played in direct factor in this incident. And I don't think racism is why the cops were fired. And I don't think racism is why they'll go jail. I do think racism is why in all those other incidents with the Breonna Taylors and Ahmaud Arberys of the world that we didn't see such swift action, that we did see people jumping to the defense of the police for indefensible actions.

---

The racism here is primarily the discrepancy between what is happening now and what happened with those other incidents that didn't involve black police officers.

OK, I'm in full agreement with you for the first half of that.

Now then I ask, what specifically is the unjustified thing happening now that is a consequence of the difference in the race of the officers.  Because you guys eluded to do it, without substantiation.  And it's not other peoples' duty to tease it out of you guys.  "Gee, I wonder why there's a different reaction here, big mystery I guess".  Dogwhistle/gaslighting or whatever you call it --- the obvious fingerpointing with fuckout amount of justification.

Just now, 52-80 said:

OK, I'm in full agreement with you for the first half of that.

Now then I ask, what specifically is the unjustified thing happening now that is a consequence of the difference in the race of the officers. 

I've bolded the part you are misunderstanding. I don't believe that the actions taken after this incident became known have been unjustified. I think they have been very justified. 

Because you guys eluded to do it, without substantiation.  And it's not other peoples' duty to tease it out of you guys.  "Gee, I wonder why there's a different reaction here, big mystery I guess".  Dogwhistle/gaslighting or whatever you call it --- the obvious fingerpointing with fuckout amount of justification.

I haven't merely eluded to anything. I've expressly stated it. Here, let me repeat myself:

I do think racism is why in all those other incidents with the Breonna Taylors and Ahmaud Arberys of the world that we didn't see such swift action, that we did see people jumping to the defense of the police for indefensible actions. The racism here is primarily the discrepancy between what is happening now and what happened with those other incidents that didn't involve black police officers.

I think what is happening now is how it should play out when cops wrongly kill/injury someone. But experience tells us that when the cops are white, we do not see such swift actions. That's racism. 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm pretty good with those conclusions.  None are perfect bullseyes, but matters of human behavior are impossible to place with perfect mathematical precision.  But how do we correlate "back the blue" types with racism?  Gee, I dunno.  Maybe the fact that folks displaying the blue line flag and similar gear also often are waving confederate flags, display other outward symbols of white supremacy, or are just out-and-out white supremacists waving the blue line flag, like at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville?

Answer my question yes or no: is someone displaying "back the blue" stuff 1) more likely or 2) less likely to be racist than the population at large?

I can tell you which demographic commits the hate-crime with the highest statistical frequency as reported by the FBI, but none of those numbers include "social affiliation" as a category.

I dont make incendiary characterization unless it can be backed up.  Great for you if you're willing, but we fundamentally disagree right there.

I've not once in 10,000 posts written anything genuinely derogatory about any group that you might identify with (besides your professional practice :)), and I'm not gonna start now... Have a good weekend.

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I haven't merely eluded to anything. I've expressly stated it. Here, let me repeat myself:

I think what is happening now is how it should play out when cops wrongly kill/injury someone. But experience tells us that when the cops are white, we do not see such swift actions. That's racism. 

You guys was a few folks. So we're both explicit, it's people behind posts #12, 14-16, which excludes yourself, signalling ohshucks some kind of racial disparity.

The Breonna T and Ahmad A thing and others, there were mountains of reports, details, and video with which people argue 20 ways to Sunday about, no matter how rightly or wrongly. 

This thing is fresh out of the oven bereft of any detail, and people are writing "ah ha, BLM didnt say anything yet proves theyre racist (with 'strong correlation')".  That, to me, is a bigger moral offense than asking "how does that prove anything?".

Some of the most incompetent police work I've ever seen. 
I wonder why he got pulled over and why he tried to run away. 

Given that the people he tried to run away from brutally murdered him a few minutes later, apparently for shits and giggles, I’d say his first instinct was spot on.

I don’t care why he was pulled over. He didn’t deserve that and the psychopaths who pulled him over deserve to rot in prison for the rest of their days.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Some of the most incompetent police work I've ever seen. 

I wonder why he got pulled over and why he tried to run away. 

“Reckless driving”. Memphis PD has said that from reviewing the dash cam footage they aren’t sure what prompted the stop though.

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I don’t care why he was pulled over. He didn’t deserve that and the psychopaths who pulled him over deserve to rot in prison for the rest of their days.

Don't be so hasty. He may have had narcotics in his system. Narcotics!

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

“Reckless driving”. Memphis PD has said that from reviewing the dash cam footage they aren’t sure what prompted the stop though.

video 4 at 13:30 on the vimeo stream has 1 cop describe that they flashed lights and used the megaphone at him, but he drove was swerving around and "almost ran into the cruiser" and drove away evasively

video 1 on the vimeo stream has the bodycam showing them driving 80mph down the city road, so they were probably giving pursuit

theres no dash cam to show the actual chase or tyre's alleged driving prior to stopping at the light.

• Fuck You 2

Over the weekend, some will use the phrase, “bad apple”, to apologize or defend policing. Just remember how they misuse that phrase. They say it like “one bad apple but the rest are ok.”   That isn’t the phrase. The phrase indicates that one bad cop makes them all bad.

when someone says bad apple, throw the real meaning in their face.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

video 4 at 13:30 on the vimeo stream has 1 cop describe that they flashed lights and used the megaphone at him, but he drove was swerving around and "almost ran into the cruiser" and drove away evasively

video 1 on the vimeo stream has the bodycam showing them driving 80mph down the city road, so they were probably giving pursuit

theres no dash cam to show the actual chase or tyre's alleged driving prior to stopping at the light.

and heeeeeere we go!

• Hook 'Em 2