Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

Fuck the police

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Cops still do this in the age of cell phones, dash cams, body cams, and random security cameras. I can't even imagine how many murders they've gotten away with over the years, back when their word was gospel.

I'm surprised they haven't got body cams repealed yet. 

Edited by Zepol87

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

and heeeeeere we go!

literally describing/transcribing the actual event as they actually occured on the highest res video source, without apportioning blame or editorialization.  the part about pursuit is a conjecture, based on the speed that was shown in the camera.

there's no video evidence to show what did Tyre did wrongfully - if he drove in the manner the police claimed on camera he drove.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Someone has to shine up those police boots with their tongue 

"memphis pd said they're not sure what prompted the stop"

"here's where in the video 1 of the involved police claimed what led to the stop; but theres no video to prove the action"

what made you find that so controversial.  were you hurt?

• Like 1

I mean, I think many people were wondering what events led up to the murder, and I do think he was just describing what is in the videos that tells us about either the events or what story the murdered are going to tell. Could be wrong but that’s how I read it as someone who disagrees with him strongly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Curiously, your first takeaway after watching the video was what this guy did wrong. It's almost as if you're seeking evidence that justifies his murder.

you're not actually curious, because all your posts have been low effort and bad faith.  including that horribly lazy conjecture at the end.

you're looking for a gotcha, but you won't find it:

1.there's no video available to prove the validity of the initial stop; dash cam should have been available, so its likely theres no valid reason for the stop and/or the department is ill-equipped.

2.the cops were combative at the visible stop, which is poor conduct.

3a.the guy resisted the arrest at the stop, which led to cops spraying themselves and being pissed off [explanation of the cops behavior, NOT.AT.ALL. justification for their later physical retaliation]

3b.this should be completely moot if the stop was valid in the first place, which is not proven from #1

4.he ran away and made them chase, further enraging them [again, unless youre dense, an explanation != justification]

5.once caught, three grown cops should have been able to subdue him without any aid/implements.  that they couldnt is a major failing.

6.at no point did he present a threat that required physical action(beyond control+cuff), and the retaliatory kicking/punching/batoning is unequivocally unwarranted.

7.when the full gang arrived they displayed pretty much gang-behavior and zero concerns for his safety. that was peak moral depravity.

i said what they did as shown on video.  i interpreted why they might have done what they did.  i give no absolution for the police - as absolutely nothing tyre did "deserves murder". 

sorry you want to paint me as a villain.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I mean, I think many people were wondering what events led up to the murder, and I do think he was just describing what is in the videos that tells us about either the events or what story the murdered are going to tell. Could be wrong but that’s how I read it as someone who disagrees with him strongly.

Me too. 

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sure. That's his takeaway. Not the murder. The offence that precipitated the murder. 

Sure.  Keep making things up to suit your imagination.  Weren't you the first person to bring up the word "nuance" in this thread?

There's a rumor that's starting to circulate here in Memphis that the victim had perhaps started dating or seeing a woman formerly involved with one of the officers. Supposedly comes from a person in the department. And since there's no evidence of any reckless driving, and victim claims he wasn't doing anything wrong in the video, it would perhaps indicate he was targeted. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I agree beating a man to death for a traffic violation is over the line, but the most important thing is that technically he was a criminal. 

So fucked up and Wrong! 

the most important thing is the cops made it home safely that night 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

goddammit. RIP to this man and peace be with his family and friends.

Gangs with immunity and a free pass from those either not affected by it, or diseased from the stupid fucking culture war that makes them have a premeditated side. Leaving them totally absent of any thoughts or constructive conversations on this very real problem plaguing the entire goddamn country. Nothing will change. And it pisses me off no end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1000% fight or flight response. His instincts (correctly) told him if he didn't get away he was going to die, which unfortunately he did anyway thanks to the determination of his murderers.

One of the things that really sent me into a rage was the officers animatedly discussing the situation afterward.  They were acting like a defensive unit who made a Super Bowl winning pick six, just celebratory in their mannerisms. May They all get raped to death in prison. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I mean it ain’t wrong,  being punched in the stomach does cause someone shortness of breath 

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

1000% fight or flight response. His instincts (correctly) told him if he didn't get away he was going to die, which unfortunately he did anyway thanks to the determination of his murderers.

One of the things that really sent me into a rage was the officers animated discussing the situation afterward.  They were acting like a defensive unit who made a Super Bowl winning pick six, just celebratory in their mannerisms. May They all get raped to death in prison. 

They’ll never be in general population and the cops in there will protect them 

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't even give a shit if driver of a car just got done purposely plowing through a dozen elementary kids at a bus stop.

Once the perpetrator is subdued (by necessary force), no longer a threat, and in handcuffs, that's fucking it. 

For some reason, cops feel like it's their constitutional right to get in a few good licks. Not always resulting in murder, but above and beyond nonetheless. 

Well they might stop and get you some food on the way to jail if you shoot up a black church.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

There's a rumor that's starting to circulate here in Memphis that the victim had perhaps started dating or seeing a woman formerly involved with one of the officers. Supposedly comes from a person in the department. And since there's no evidence of any reckless driving, and victim claims he wasn't doing anything wrong in the video, it would perhaps indicate he was targeted. 

Will be interesting to see if this ends up being something that can be and is corroborated. Mafia move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m weighing in as an aunt. My nephew is 6’4” and 18 years old. He’s on the spectrum (as people say) and hasn’t taken his driver’s test. I do tremendously worry that when he does start driving something will happen. He won’t react fast enough. He will get confused. He might not follow instructions. And because of his height (right now he’s skinny as a straw) police or whatever will assume he’s threatening. 

I don’t have any other words. There are a lot of great posts on here so I’d defer to them on this. just horrific, sickening and heartbreaking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m weighing in as an aunt. My nephew is 6’4” and 18 years old. He’s on the spectrum (as people say) and hasn’t taken his driver’s test. I do tremendously worry that when he does start driving something will happen. He won’t react fast enough. He will get confused. He might not follow instructions. And because of his height (right now he’s skinny as a straw) police or whatever will assume he’s threatening. 

I don’t have any other words. There are a lot of great posts on here so I’d defer to them on this. just horrific, sickening and heartbreaking. 

I'm ignorant but what do you mean by  "on the spectrum"?

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I don't give a fuck how badly he was driving, it doesn't make any fucking difference.  He's still a human being.  The cops don't get to summarily execute speeders.

incontrovertible statement because nobody has argued against it; cops do not have the prerogative to execute anyone. 

54 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And to the extent it matters, and it doesn't, evading an unmarked car chasing after him at night seems like a normal reaction.  Who the fuck stops for an unmarked car chasing after you at 10 pm?  And he would have been right.  There were murderous psychopaths in the car.

the cop claims in video they tried to call the stop using "sirens" (they mean the lights?).  at the actual stop at the light, he was boxed in by identical dodge chargers, the lights were full lit, and the cops were all in lettered uniform, not plainclothes. 

any suggestion that, at that point, he didnt know their legitimacy doesnt hold water. 

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

incontrovertible statement because nobody has argued against it; cops do not have the prerogative to execute anyone. 

the cop claims in video they tried to call the stop using "sirens" (they mean the lights?).  at the actual stop at the light, he was boxed in by identical dodge chargers, the lights were full lit, and the cops were all in lettered uniform, not plainclothes. 

any suggestion that, at that point, he didnt know their legitimacy doesnt hold water. 

None of this fucking matters.  You're spending a ridiculous amount of time analyzing the intricacies of the video to try and understand the murders' side of things.

But you're also moving goalposts in an attempt to defend the indefensible.   I never suggested that when he was pulled over he didn't know they were police.  You said he was driving 80 mph and driving erratically.  I responded that that might be a logical fucking reaction to being aggressively followed at night in an unmarked car.  I said nothing about the actual stop at the light.

I'm also not sure why you're giving all this credibility to the self-serving statements of people you also saw brutally murdering a man.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

The reason I asked why he was pulled over and why he ran is because unless he had a warrant for some serious shit or had years worth of prison time in his car there isn't any reason to run. That would lend credence to the idea that it was potentially a targeted attack (because he knew he was in trouble as soon as they pulled him over). 

I'm not sure that makes sense though because surely the officers knew that all of this would wind up on camera. So what would their plan have been had he not resisted arrest? Cuff him then do something to him in jail? Is there a way they could have more clandestinely given him a beating? 

I think these lawsuits are going to be fascinating. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The reason I asked why he was pulled over and why he ran is because unless he had a warrant for some serious shit or had years worth of prison time in his car there isn't any reason to run. That would lend credence to the idea that it was potentially a targeted attack. 

I'm not sure that makes sense though because surely the officers knew that all of this would wind up on camera. So what would their plan have been had he not resisted arrest? Cuff him then do something to him in jail? Is there a way they could have more clandestinely given him a beating? 

I'm wondering how many other times these cops did this.  They acted with impunity, because they thought there would be no consequences.  Probably because there haven't been consequences for decades upon decades.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, lemonlime said:

I'm wondering how many other times these cops did this.  They acted with impunity, because they thought there would be no consequences.  Probably because there haven't been consequences for decades upon decades.

Fucking this. They knew they would be on camera. They thought it wouldn’t matter. I wonder what might have given them that idea?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The reason I asked why he was pulled over and why he ran is because unless he had a warrant for some serious shit or had years worth of prison time in his car there isn't any reason to run. That would lend credence to the idea that it was potentially a targeted attack (because he knew he was in trouble as soon as they pulled him over). 

Not sure whether it was CNN or Fox, but one of them made the comment that he had no.criminal.record.at.all.

I posted this a few weeks ago but am posting again because it’s really bothering me after seeing the video. 

They kept saying “give me your hands”. But, they had the guys hands.

It reminded me of a time I was unjustly attacked by an out of control officer for literally doing nothing. He grabbed me and kept repeating “stop resisting” as he tackled me. Over and over. I wasn’t resisting. He just kept attacking me. Your body is a resistive force. It’s like they use this as an excuse to beat you. I feel now that the techniques officers use always lead to beating the crap out of you no matter what you do. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

But you're also moving goalposts in an attempt to defend the indefensible.   I never suggested that when he was pulled over he didn't know they were police.  You said he was driving 80 mph and driving erratically.  I responded that that might be a logical fucking reaction to being aggressively followed at night in an unmarked car.  I said nothing about the actual stop at the light.

I'm also not sure why you're giving all this credibility to the self-serving statements of people you also saw brutally murdering a man.

there's not a single goalpost i've set from page 1 to page 6 that even remotely defends the action and especially the outcome of what the cops did.

i didn't say how fast Tyre was driving.  (do you need to reread it?).  i said the cop was driving 80mph on the city streets, which suggests there was a pursuit.  rather than, say, a casual pull-over where they suddenly decided to act out.

i said straight up - with a timestamp where - that the police claimed Tyre drove erratically.  and added theres zero evidence yet to substantiate that claim of wild driving, therefore *i personally dont believe the veracity of that claim*.  this is giving THEM credibility?

None of this fucking matters.  You're spending a ridiculous amount of time analyzing the intricacies of the video to try and understand the murders' side of things.

we're all talking about this case because we clearly all have interest/fascination in it.  we pour over the video because the details and justification and understanding deserves it.  if/when background information about the police comes out, that deserves to have a spotlight put on it as well.

this is the same thing that they would do at court, on both sides of the court room.  why do you insinuate it to be a BAD THING?

and further, why would you completely misrepresent my positions so bad in order to prove some reaching A-->C type of claim?

• Hook 'Em 1