Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

He ran because the cops were tasing and pepper spraying him for absolutely zero reason after yank jig h k out of scar for no reason. But yes let’s give the fake army the benefit of the doubt. 

Cops got mad because they pepper sprayed themselves. Because they were excellent, well trained, good cops! 

i'm not saying the cops did the right thing, just indicating the obvious why they went batshit crazy on him.  I enjoyed the part where they sprayed each other in their frothing.  I hope each cop gets life (in case anyone thinks I'm sympathizing with LE here). 

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

he resisted arrested and ran away which pissed off the cops, but this doesn't justify the lynch mob torture and death penalty. Hope for a quick trial and long jail times.  Let's not have this dominate the news for weeks, go to other more topics which adversely affect millions of people. 

Overall, the numbers nationwide of killings by LE is about 1000, probably 70-80% are justified, meaning only 200-300 are questionable.  Best to be proportionate. 

Vine Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

he resisted arrested and ran away which pissed off the cops, but this doesn't justify the lynch mob torture and death penalty. Hope for a quick trial and long jail times.  Let's not have this dominate the news for weeks, go to other more topics which adversely affect millions of people. 

Overall, the numbers nationwide of killings by LE is about 1000, probably 70-80% are justified, meaning only 200-300 are questionable.  Best to be proportionate. 

Resisted and ran away is the first thought of your post huh? Nice 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Some of us think cops killing innocent citizens is kind of a big deal too.

of course it is, but the question is frequency, raw numbers and proportionality of media attention. 

if you really cared about human life, have lengthy threads about foreigners killed by the military or those we arm for our own greed. Those victims are in the millions. 

• Fuck You 6

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

this is one that I found to be interesting due to the gymnastics of the deceased.  Do you think the shooting was justified here? 

No. For common scissors wielded by that woman…probability of not being able to subdue her and him suffering injuries is like….2%

Edited by 52-80

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

No. For common scissors wielded by that woman…probability of not being able to subdue her and him suffering injuries is like….2%

the comments are pretty funny; YT peeps have game

"She did a flip and never dropped the scissors, That's dedication"

"this takes rock paper scissors SHOOT to a whole new level"

"Justified!!! She was warned, and she charged and attacked. The officer has the right not to be hurt or killed while doing his job."

"Don't play rock paper scissors with the guy who chooses gun"

• Haha 1

Of course, the killings are the most gruesome, obvious tip of the iceberg. For every shitty cop encounter that results in an unjustified killing, there are thousands of shitty cop encounters that stop short of murder. Maybe just a light beating. Maybe planted evidence and a ruined life. Maybe just run down to jail on bullshit, because you can beat the rap but you can’t beat the ride, boy. Etc etc ad Infinitum, because cops are a psychopathic criminal gang who are completely above the law.
That’s the problem: systemic abuse of and contempt for the public with no regard for the actual law. Engage in that habitually, and yep, you’ll end up killing a bunch of people.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

At this point I am thinking 52-80 and Make em eat Taco Bell are lifelong residents of and and neighbors in Vidor. 

No 2 persons can possibly have similar viewpoints so hes actually my sock and we’re posting out of Buda. 

hopefully you find his writing more comprehensible

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

No 2 persons can possibly have similar viewpoints so hes actually my sock and we’re posting out of Buda. 

hopefully you find his writing more comprehensible

Let’s dive into this. You won’t tell me where you are from. You won’t tell me where you live. Can I assume that you are single?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Let’s dive into this. You won’t tell me where you are from. You won’t tell me where you live. Can I assume that you are single?

Just go ahead and assume anything you want, like youve already done. Why not, right

Have caught up on this thread, and I wish the families involved, the city of Memphis, and our nation, peace.

I confess to feeling frustrated with thread, but that is the nature of DT, an almost free speech space. 

It is an ideal of the USA that all deserve equal protection under  the law. Yet, both of the following statements are true: racism has yet to diminish to a non-systemic level, and also that denying this truth has become a political plank.

I will defend the first claim with a clear cut, free market fact. The second claim cannot be openly supported here, because, well, hypocrisy. So, I will spoiler that part of this post.

For most citizens, their greatest power is the right to vote- and their greatest wealth is tied to their home. Black citizens have demonstrably been systematically disenfranchised from realizing the wealth homes represent.

“They really are all tied together,” Nelson said. “It’s just different forms of extremely harmful discrimination that shuts Black people out of home-buying, whether that’s in access to certain neighborhoods, receiving a discriminatory appraisal in refinancing or selling, or having a foreclosure next door not being marketed or maintained -- which impacts the value of their own homes.”

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/landmark-housing-discrimination-settlement-with-fannie-mae-sets-key-precedent-2022-02-11/

The following is spoilered for those whose panties get wadded from all the sand in their vaginas:

Spoiler

Led by “conservative” justices, SCOTUS has been whittling away at the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The conservative justices have used the same disingenuous argument @52-80 is peddling, namely that it is unfair to assume that some legislations are acting with racial malice. (That we, as a country have evolved).

https://www.oyez.org/issues/199

A standard for representation, using race as a metric, was established in the early ‘80s, that held citizens of a given race should have an equal opportunity to elect candidates preferred by their race. The bar to clear was demonstrable discrimination. But, there’s a new political ploy in play, (denying racism still exists, systemically.) As such, in an case from Alabama:

”In January, a three-judge federal court panel ruled unanimously that Alabama could and should have created two compact congressional districts with a majority, or close to a majority, of Black voters: two districts instead of just one. Two of the judges on the panel were Trump appointees, the third a Clinton appointee. 

The state appealed to the Supreme Court, which by a 5-4 vote blocked the lower court ruling­, which ordered a new map for the 2022 election, then nine months away. That was too much for Chief Justice John Roberts, a longtime critic of the Voting Rights Act, but who this time dissented along with the court's three liberals. He said he could find "no apparent errors" in the way the lower court applied existing precedents. 

the state's argument boils down to a topsy-turvy, inside-out proposition: that any effort to eradicate racial discrimination is unconstitutional because it has to emphasize considerations of race.”

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/04/1126619000/voting-rights-act-supreme-court

This current case is part of an ongoing effort to eradicate the VRA, which has cleared the way for extreme gerrymandering and a tsunami of voter suppression laws. This effort was green lighted by SCOTUS proclaiming that racism has been solved, (or perhaps, is a not to be named concept, like CRT, subject to DT-esque censorship,) allowing the slave states, of our past, to make election rules without Congressional approval. The effects of that decision are as intended.

I won’t support the last sentence as I don’t want to comfort the unAmerican, anti-Constitutionalists.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

If you really cared about human life, have lengthy threads about foreigners killed by the military or those we arm for our own greed. Those victims are in the millions. 

One of the classic, tried and true message board responses that lets you know you're dealing with a true genius 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

I know this has become about the Police and their actions. But this came across my thread tonight. Just a quick look into Tyre as a human. 

3 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

My apologies for fucking this off. I'll dip out now. 

Um, it was a compliment to the forum. West Mall is where I had some great discussions. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

For most citizens, their greatest power is the right to vote- and their greatest wealth is tied to their home. Black citizens have demonstrably been systematically disenfranchised from realizing the wealth homes represent.

“They really are all tied together,” Nelson said. “It’s just different forms of extremely harmful discrimination that shuts Black people out of home-buying, whether that’s in access to certain neighborhoods, receiving a discriminatory appraisal in refinancing or selling, or having a foreclosure next door not being marketed or maintained -- which impacts the value of their own homes.”

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/landmark-housing-discrimination-settlement-with-fannie-mae-sets-key-precedent-2022-02-11/

The following is spoilered for those whose panties get wadded from all the sand in their vaginas:

Reveal hidden contents

Led by “conservative” justices, SCOTUS has been whittling away at the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The conservative justices have used the same disingenuous argument @52-80 is peddling, namely that it is unfair to assume that some legislations are acting with racial malice. (That we, as a country have evolved).

A standard for representation, using race as a metric, was established in the early ‘80s, that held citizens of a given race should have an equal opportunity to elect candidates preferred by their race. The bar to clear was demonstrable discrimination. But, there’s a new political ploy in play, (denying racism still exists, systemically.) As such, in an case from Alabama:

”In January, a three-judge federal court panel ruled unanimously that Alabama could and should have created two compact congressional districts with a majority, or close to a majority, of Black voters: two districts instead of just one. Two of the judges on the panel were Trump appointees, the third a Clinton appointee. 

The state appealed to the Supreme Court, which by a 5-4 vote blocked the lower court ruling­, which ordered a new map for the 2022 election, then nine months away. That was too much for Chief Justice John Roberts, a longtime critic of the Voting Rights Act, but who this time dissented along with the court's three liberals. He said he could find "no apparent errors" in the way the lower court applied existing precedents. 

the state's argument boils down to a topsy-turvy, inside-out proposition: that any effort to eradicate racial discrimination is unconstitutional because it has to emphasize considerations of race.”

This current case is part of an ongoing effort to eradicate the VRA, which has cleared the way for extreme gerrymandering and a tsunami of voter suppression laws. This effort was green lighted by SCOTUS proclaiming that racism has been solved, (or perhaps, is a not to be named concept, like CRT, subject to DT-esque censorship,) allowing the slave states, of our past, to make election rules without Congressional approval. The effects of that decision are as intended.

I won’t support the last sentence as I don’t want to comfort the unAmerican, anti-Constitutionalists.

Let's not get all Cloaky here, so here's my only reply on this topic. 

Spoiler

You seem to be tying your argument about blacks being disenfranchised from home ownership to the Fannie Mae settlement.  Fannie Mae is for low income housing; it is part of the system, but it is not "the system".    Racism does still exist, but I see nothing in your linked article that backs up "discriminatory appraisals" or  "systematically disenfranchised".

Almost a decade ago I got approved for a mortgage online without ever meeting someone in person. 18 months ago I sold a house to Opendoor.com above market value, and the transaction was completely online until the day I signed the closing documents. I doubt the opendoor.com algorithm googled my skin color before it made an offer.     Blacks are just as capable of using lendingtree.com as everyone else and anyone can put an offer in on a house without having a sit-down with the current owners or neighbors. By and large, if you can afford to live in a neighborhood, nobody give a shit about your skin color.  

If you want to rail about income equality, educational opportunities, or the cultural importance of learning, so be it, but home ownership is all about money, not skin color.

18 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Reveal hidden contents

You seem to be tying your argument about blacks being disenfranchised from home ownership to the Fannie Mae settlement.  Fannie Mae is for low income housing; it is part of the system, but it is not "the system".    Racism does still exist, but I see nothing in your linked article that backs up "discriminatory appraisals" or  "systematically disenfranchised".

Almost a decade ago I got approved for a mortgage online without ever meeting someone in person. 18 months ago I sold a house to Opendoor.com above market value, and the transaction was completely online until the day I signed the closing documents. I doubt the opendoor.com algorithm googled my skin color before it made an offer.     Blacks are just as capable of using lendingtree.com as everyone else and anyone can put an offer in on a house without having a sit-down with the current owners or neighbors. By and large, if you can afford to live in a neighborhood, nobody give a shit about your skin color.  

If you want to rail about income equality, educational opportunities, or the cultural importance of learning, so be it, but home ownership is all about money, not skin color.

Attempted a DM. Which failed.

Spoiler

FM is part of the system. And accountable. 

Here are more aspects of the dynamic.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/investigations-by-black-homeowners-housing-bias-rival-feds-2021-05-28/

How many home sales omit an estimate of appraised value?

Absent contrary facts, and, given the importance to the anti-Constitutionalists of the “racism is dead” trope, I am not convinced by your post.

Edited by Willfully Horn

Not sure how you can tell that from this thread. 

Just a few race isn't important morons doing what they do and people giving them rep who wont comment but give them rep while they have never been to Memphis and probably aren't a minority who have dealt with POS cops. So just normal out of touch racist bullshit surly 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

of course it is, but the question is frequency, raw numbers and proportionality of media attention. 

if you really cared about human life, have lengthy threads about foreigners killed by the military or those we arm for our own greed. Those victims are in the millions. 

the-big-lebowski-youre-not-wrong.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Have caught up on this thread, and I wish the families involved, the city of Memphis, and our nation, peace.

I confess to feeling frustrated with thread, but that is the nature of DT, an almost free speech space. 

It is an ideal of the USA that all deserve equal protection under  the law. Yet, both of the following statements are true: racism has yet to diminish to a non-systemic level, and also that denying this truth has become a political plank.

I will defend the first claim with a clear cut, free market fact. The second claim cannot be openly supported here, because, well, hypocrisy. So, I will spoiler that part of this post.

Hide contents

Racism is not solved...as we are all damned by our own self deceit, cowardice and fear. Until that day where we can truly, honestly look deep into our hearts, and with open minds and hearts look into those of all our brothers,  we will continue to be damned by the despicable disease of racism. God help us all...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

Racism is not solved...as we are all damned by our own self deceit, cowardice and fear. Until that day where we can truly, honestly look deep into our hearts, and with open minds and hearts look into those of all our brothers,  we will continue to be damned by the despicable disease of racism. God help us all...

Two contrary thoughts to keep in mind, with which to face our future: Racism is too deeply entrenched to be eradicated, and I will do everything I can to end racism. 

But, you aren’t wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Hide contents

I recommend you ponder the concept of red lining. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It would be so easy to totally reform the cops in theory: bust the pig unions, and put all police forces under the oversight of local governments (or state or fed as the case may be) and make them adhere to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. In the military, there are almost always severe consequences for bad actions, whether they result from sadism or incompetence or even in some cases "the fog of war." Cops should be forced to at least treat the American people as well as our occupying forces treat foreign citizens.

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Memphis is a shitshow any day, but today and this weekend is going to be extra special.

Shitshow? C'mon man, it's like New Orleans. Without the architecture. Or the mystique. Or the food. Or the charm....I kid, a little, and I actually like Memphis, even as someone who was partially brought up in Nashville. (The rest of Tennessee likes to think Memphis does not exist and in reality it's the capital of Greater Mississippi / West Arkansas).

Anyway, 7 Seconds is a very very very fucking underrated series that demonstrates the absolute impossibility of being a good cop under current conditions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

no.

that's also a racist red-herring.

the platonic/ideal condition, as i've been trying to learn, is to be impartial as possible, race-conscious, culturally aware, and try to use that information to make the best decision you can.

by race-conscious, i mean that in a positive context, but it can also make me weirdly self-conscious in a way that i'm still not comfortable with, but that's okay.

i used to say "i don't see color" or similar shit like that. it was racist. of course i saw color. of course people see my whiteness. of course i see that hot girl over there and the sweathog dude on the harley. we make judgments every day. 

the key, i'm learning, is mindfulness. asking yourself critical questions all the time. it sucks and it's hard. i get tired of doing it.

that's why i asked you if you think before you post. i haven't always thought before posting, and this is definitely the board to shoot from your hip, so i get it. 

but where you fall down is looking at a work in progress, seeing an improvement, and declaring it done. 

race relations will never be done. black people have shit to think about also. we all have shit to think about. that's part of being a human. 

also part of being human, sadly, is the casting out, either metaphorically or literally, those who look or act or believe differently than you.

i'm just telling you that is what you are doing even if you do not realize it. like knows like. i used to do it all the time.

excellent post

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

inflation is a big deal. Financial news is our daily bread and butter. Ukraine war is a big deal.   Corruption in government should be a lead story every day.  Lots of other things in the big world. 

Corruption in government? You mean like the state beating a man to death?

Weird posts.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

inflation is a big deal. Financial news is our daily bread and butter. Ukraine war is a big deal.   Corruption in government should be a lead story every day.  Lots of other things in the big world. 

This is another violent example of exactly that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

You raise a great point. Cops kill only a couple hundred Americans each year. As you note, the probability that police would murder Tyre Nichols is so small that it’s not even worth worrying about. Not sure why everyone’s getting so excited about such an unlikely event.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I walked past a guy having a heart attack on my way to a protest about American military intervention abroad. I didn’t help him because that would have meant I didn’t really care about human life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You raise a great point. Cops kill only a couple hundred Americans each year. As you note, the probability that police would murder Tyre Nichols is so small that it’s not even worth worrying about. Not sure why everyone’s getting so excited about such an unlikely event.

it is worth the effort, but hopefully not for weeks on end.  

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I walked past a guy having a heart attack on my way to a protest about American military intervention abroad. I didn’t help him because that would have meant I didn’t really care about human life.

was he black? 

• Fuck You 2

I'm always amazed by the grace and restraint I see in the African American community, especially in light of the fact that these types of stories have unfortunately become a regular part of American life. Death at the hands of the police is the 6th leading cause of death for black young men. About 100 in 100,000 black men and boys will be killed by police during their lives. That's an appalling statistic. Who wants to live in a nation where you are literally afraid you'll be killed during a traffic stop. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

A separate or at least distinct issue from police murdering civilians is avoidable police shootings that are able to be justified. The ability to justify a police killing does not mean that that it is a desirable outcome. The agency of the victim to make better choices also does not negate our responsibility as a society to protect lives.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1