Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

inflation is a big deal. Financial news is our daily bread and butter. Ukraine war is a big deal.   Corruption in government should be a lead story every day.  Lots of other things in the big world. 

There are threads on all those topics on this board. I haven't seen you on them. 

• Like 1

Let's not get all Cloaky here, so here's my only reply on this topic. 
Spoiler

You seem to be tying your argument about blacks being disenfranchised from home ownership to the Fannie Mae settlement.  Fannie Mae is for low income housing; it is part of the system, but it is not "the system".    Racism does still exist, but I see nothing in your linked article that backs up "discriminatory appraisals" or  "systematically disenfranchised".
Almost a decade ago I got approved for a mortgage online without ever meeting someone in person. 18 months ago I sold a house to Opendoor.com above market value, and the transaction was completely online until the day I signed the closing documents. I doubt the opendoor.com algorithm googled my skin color before it made an offer.     Blacks are just as capable of using lendingtree.com as everyone else and anyone can put an offer in on a house without having a sit-down with the current owners or neighbors. By and large, if you can afford to live in a neighborhood, nobody give a shit about your skin color.  
If you want to rail about income equality, educational opportunities, or the cultural importance of learning, so be it, but home ownership is all about money, not skin color.

This take shows an astounding lack of critical thinking ability.

9 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

... just indicating the obvious why they went batshit crazy on him.  ...

Police do not have the luxury to go batshit crazy on anyone.  Shit like this needs a spotlight until the status quo changes.

We really need to dial back qualified immunity, put police pensions at risk for compensating victims of excessive force and regularly and randomly drug test police for steroids and amphetamines.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

Police do not have the luxury to go batshit crazy on anyone.  Shit like this needs a spotlight until the status quo changes.

We really need to dial back qualified immunity, put police pensions at risk for compensating victims of excessive force and regularly and randomly drug test police for steroids and amphetamines.

Is there a more entitled group of people on the planet

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

6th street, Inflation and Market threads.   Ukraine war, there too. 

You have more posts in like one day on this thread than all those threads combined for the rest of the last year. I'm just saying, maybe it is in fact a news worthy event?

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Jesus,  there was finally one of these bad enough, or the officers Black enough, that my local PD actually issued a statement condemning them.  Signed up for general town alerts (eg. no trash pickup tomorrow), and this actually showed up in my inbox.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  They're saying the right things now, but I doubt they're actually doing them.  And they sure as fuck didn't say anything about George Floyd, Breona Taylor, or any of the other police murders.

The release of the Tyre Nichols video tonight will undoubtedly evoke feelings of anger, fear, and profound sadness. This was an unspeakable act that is contrary to the values of the XXX Police Department.

The officers who assaulted and ultimately killed Mr. Nichols should be held accountable for their actions and their failure to intercede.

The XXX Police Department sends its deepest condolences to the Nichols family.

51 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I walked past a guy having a heart attack on my way to a protest about American military intervention abroad. I didn’t help him because that would have meant I didn’t really care about human life.

Good move. He was probably shedding spike proteins.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

Death at the hands of the police is the 6th leading cause of death for black young men. About 100 in 100,000 black men and boys will be killed by police during their lives. That's an appalling statistic. Who wants to live in a nation where you are literally afraid you'll be killed during a traffic stop. 

That's a high number. Too high I'd say (by at least one this year given the thread we're posting in).

I did some back of the napkin math assuming the 100/100,000 comes from using 20,000,000 black males and a lifespan of 70 years. 

Do you want a really sobering number? That rate is 2,800/100,000 for homicide (using this data https://www.statista.com/statistics/251877/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-race-ethnicity-and-gender/). Take some zeroes off the end and you arrive at a cool 3 out of every 100. 

The thing about the deaths by cop though is that it's far less discriminatory. Guys like Tyre frequently have problematic interactions with leos despite not being criminals or toting guns. Even when the cops themselves are black.

The average black experience has gotten a lot better in this country but on average is still isn't great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m sorry to thread shit, but this is patently untrue. Fannie Mae is not for low income housing. Fannie Mae was created as part of the New Deal to increase liquidity in the housing market after the bank runs during the Great Depression, and yes help with affordability. There are no income limits and you can get a loan up to $726,200. 62% of all mortgages are conforming, so yeah, not just for the poor. It does have specific loan programs for low income borrowers though. 

Just because it is possible to obtain a loan or sell a home today without meeting in person, doesn’t mean it’s the majority, or that it solves systemic racism in the housing industry. First off, most high end neighborhoods (where the snooty whites live) aren’t using open door. Second, the person selling the house still sees the names on the contract offers. How often do you think the racist chooses Rodney Jefferson over Scott Smith? Not to mention the decades of redlining by banks and lenders. Wells Fargo recently got in trouble for redlining. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022-wells-fargo-black-home-loan-refinancing/ 

So no, homeownership is not all about money. In fact, time and time again, skin color plays a role. Even if your specific experience, it did not.

^ this

Blacks are denied at TWICE! the level as their white counterparts when applying for a home loan. For anyone to say it’s equal, they show their at best ignorance and at  worst lack of care for equality  

https://publicintegrity.org/housing/home-mortgage-lending-remains-unequal/

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodrow Call said:

I'm always amazed by the grace and restraint I see in the African American community, especially in light of the fact that these types of stories have unfortunately become a regular part of American life. Death at the hands of the police is the 6th leading cause of death for black young men. About 100 in 100,000 black men and boys will be killed by police during their lives. That's an appalling statistic. Who wants to live in a nation where you are literally afraid you'll be killed during a traffic stop. 

They’ve always been a regular part of life for minority Americans. It’s only new to white people since we have cameras now

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Youtube is replete with killing videos

was this justified?

all these vids require a YT account - age restrictions.  Stupid cop, shouting "drop the knife" after assailant shot 8-10 times , as if the dude can process anything at this point. 

Cops shouldn’t kill anyone. Period. It’s not a hard concept. 
Why are we even discussing what’s justified and what isn’t? In this case the cops beat a black man to death. This is not the first time this has happened

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Jesus,  there was finally one of these bad enough, or the officers Black enough, that my local PD actually issued a statement condemning them.  Signed up for general town alerts (eg. no trash pickup tomorrow), and this actually showed up in my inbox.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  They're saying the right things now, but I doubt they're actually doing them.  And they sure as fuck didn't say anything about George Floyd, Breona Taylor, or any of the other police murders.

On that note, a group of Kentucky Karens recently hosted an event honoring one of the pieces of shit who murdered Breonna Taylor and played bodycam footage from that night in a restaurant full of other patrons. If what certain posters insist in this thread is true, there's no rational explanation for why many people not only defend but fucking celebrate one cop who helped murder an innocent woman but don't defend the cops who murdered Tyre Nichols.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Also, if you want, send me a PM, let me know what county they are in and I’ll see if there’s any outreach/training for LEO’s happening yet there. I can also put you in touch with my friend, because she has great info for parents/families of ASD people specifically related to encounters with law enforcement.

@fattyflattie THIS is what we mean when we say the police aren't properly trained. They're trained to be hammers and the THE LAW, so they treat everything like a problem to be crushed. 

Absolutely insane that we the people have to take measures to make sure your local gang doesn't have any pretense to claim qualified immunity after victimizing you

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Have caught up on this thread, and I wish the families involved, the city of Memphis, and our nation, peace.

I confess to feeling frustrated with thread, but that is the nature of DT, an almost free speech space. 

It is an ideal of the USA that all deserve equal protection under  the law. Yet, both of the following statements are true: racism has yet to diminish to a non-systemic level, and also that denying this truth has become a political plank.

I will defend the first claim with a clear cut, free market fact. The second claim cannot be openly supported here, because, well, hypocrisy. So, I will spoiler that part of this post.

For most citizens, their greatest power is the right to vote- and their greatest wealth is tied to their home. Black citizens have demonstrably been systematically disenfranchised from realizing the wealth homes represent.

“They really are all tied together,” Nelson said. “It’s just different forms of extremely harmful discrimination that shuts Black people out of home-buying, whether that’s in access to certain neighborhoods, receiving a discriminatory appraisal in refinancing or selling, or having a foreclosure next door not being marketed or maintained -- which impacts the value of their own homes.”

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/landmark-housing-discrimination-settlement-with-fannie-mae-sets-key-precedent-2022-02-11/

Hide contents

Led by “conservative” justices, SCOTUS has been whittling away at the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The conservative justices have used the same disingenuous argument @52-80 is peddling, namely that it is unfair to assume that some legislations are acting with racial malice. (That we, as a country have evolved).

What a cheap shot from you, tagging me as peddling disingenuous arguments .  Spoilered for everyone else not interested.

Spoiler

You frame this as some unimpeachable topic off-limits from disagreement. There's no margin for discussion. Anyone who disagrees is some bad person. That's close-minded bullshit, and you know it.

I believe: today racism/discrimination is not the primary, secondary, or tiertiary determinant of any inequality (like property wealth-building); discrimination absolutely does exist and will continue to exist as intrinsic human nature; where it's demonstrably proven, it should be vilified so to be eradicated; where it doesn't credibly exist, don't falsely claim so because it dilutes the prior point.  

A person's identity subjects that person to some manner of discrimination?  sure.  A person's identity (black) as the main cause for wholesale disenfranchisement from housing?  hard no.

Pretty simple.  If you think that is disingenuous and not worthy of conversation, don't fucking tag me.  Block me and move on.  I'll tag @hayden_horn and @Dahobbswho show willingness to talk in earnest.

Here's just one 2021 article, linked directly from the Reuters article establishing racial-bias in housing appraisal/valuation, driving down black house values: https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/Blog/Pages/Reducing-Valuation-Bias-by-Addressing-Appraiser-and-Property-Valuation-Commentary.aspx

* White household and neighborhood have higher appraised value.  That's correlation, not causation.

* Most appraisers are white, and almost none are black.  That's occupational self-selection, not ipso facto foul.

* Racial/ethnic composition should not be included in appraisal to imply lower pricing.  Sure, so let's see their cited examples that is supposed to show negatively biases:

**e.g., "The racial makeup of the city was 86.28% white, 12.46% Black or African-American, 0.52% Native American, 0.22% Asian, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.56% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race."  Not racist/bad.  This is basic demographic information, available anywhere, and is as neutral as age composition or school rating or other common information in Neighborhood description of listing..

**e.g., "The most common language spoken is English. Other important languages spoken here include Italian and Spanish."  Maybe racist in intent.  Just very strange to highlight languages, so definitely poor practice.

**e.g., "The ethnic groups that have immigrated to a neighborhood over the course of many years and noted it was "one spicy neighborhood."  Not convincingly racist.  Clumsily worded sure.  Is this supposed this cater to a negative bias against Indians, or West Indies?  Is saying a house "located in vibrant Chinatown" or "in the Little DR, Washington Heights, Manhattan neighborhood" a discriminatory revelation?  Disagree.

**e.g., "A neighborhood described as "predominately Hispanic" and that the residents have "assimilated their culture heritage" into the neighborhood."  Yeah it's racist. It easily suggests the writer thinks non assimilation is a negative trait.

**e.g., "Noting the area's first Asian mayor."  Positive but useless factoid.

**e.g., "A reference to a neighborhood being originally "White-Only," before becoming a "White-Flight Red-Zone" to explain why the neighborhood is mostly "Working-Class Black" now.  Highly racist, because of the specific and negative connotation "only" "flight" "working-class"

There you go.  Everything ranging from completely harmless to clearly racist.  These are examples they cite, so must be some of the 'best' samples.  The ones that are racist, the appraisers should be shamed/excoriated/fired.  But I don't agree they all represent discriminatory (unintentional or not) practices.  And moreover, not the smoking gun key in whatever endemic system that is causing housing disenfranchisement.  I have houses in different countries, as a foreign national, and I don't think that merits praise for having busted through the burdensome ceiling of xenophobia or whatever the fuck.  Get a steady job, pay your bills, save a downpayment, thats 95% of getting into property.  The 5% is not what stops anybody from their station in life.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Cops shouldn’t kill anyone. Period.

That's a silly absolute. I agree most deaths at the hands of police are preventable but sometimes it's their job to shoot people and sometimes those people wind up dying. Do you not want cops to stop school shooters? Or suspects that shoot at them first? 

I can definitely get behind "cops shouldn't murder anyone ever". Which should be fairly achievable yet apparently isn't. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, 52-80 said:

What a cheap shot from you, tagging me as peddling disingenuous arguments .  Spoilered for everyone else not interested.

Reveal hidden contents

You frame this as some unimpeachable topic off-limits from disagreement. There's no margin for discussion. Anyone who disagrees is some bad person. That's close-minded bullshit, and you know it.

I believe: today racism/discrimination is not the primary, secondary, or tiertiary determinant of any inequality (like property wealth-building); discrimination absolutely does exist and will continue to exist as intrinsic human nature; where it's demonstrably proven, it should be vilified so to be eradicated; where it doesn't credibly exist, don't falsely claim so because it dilutes the prior point.  

A person's identity subjects that person to some manner of discrimination?  sure.  A person's identity (black) as the main cause for wholesale disenfranchisement from housing?  hard no.

Pretty simple.  If you think that is disingenuous and not worthy of conversation, don't fucking tag me.  Block me and move on.  I'll tag @hayden_horn and @Dahobbswho show willingness to talk in earnest.

Here's just one 2021 article, linked directly from the Reuters article establishing racial-bias in housing appraisal/valuation, driving down black house values: https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/Blog/Pages/Reducing-Valuation-Bias-by-Addressing-Appraiser-and-Property-Valuation-Commentary.aspx

* White household and neighborhood have higher appraised value.  That's correlation, not causation.

* Most appraisers are white, and almost none are black.  That's occupational self-selection, not ipso facto foul.

* Racial/ethnic composition should not be included in appraisal to imply lower pricing.  Sure, so let's see their cited examples that is supposed to show negatively biases:

**e.g., "The racial makeup of the city was 86.28% white, 12.46% Black or African-American, 0.52% Native American, 0.22% Asian, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.56% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race."  Not racist/bad.  This is basic demographic information, available anywhere, and is as neutral as age composition or school rating or other common information in Neighborhood description of listing..

**e.g., "The most common language spoken is English. Other important languages spoken here include Italian and Spanish."  Maybe racist in intent.  Just very strange to highlight languages, so definitely poor practice.

**e.g., "The ethnic groups that have immigrated to a neighborhood over the course of many years and noted it was "one spicy neighborhood."  Not convincingly racist.  Clumsily worded sure.  Is this supposed this cater to a negative bias against Indians, or West Indies?  Is saying a house "located in vibrant Chinatown" or "in the Little DR, Washington Heights, Manhattan neighborhood" a discriminatory revelation?  Disagree.

**e.g., "A neighborhood described as "predominately Hispanic" and that the residents have "assimilated their culture heritage" into the neighborhood."  Yeah it's racist. It easily suggests the writer thinks non assimilation is a negative trait.

**e.g., "Noting the area's first Asian mayor."  Positive but useless factoid.

**e.g., "A reference to a neighborhood being originally "White-Only," before becoming a "White-Flight Red-Zone" to explain why the neighborhood is mostly "Working-Class Black" now.  Highly racist, because of the specific and negative connotation "only" "flight" "working-class"

There you go.  Everything ranging from completely harmless to clearly racist.  These are examples they cite, so must be some of the 'best' samples.  The ones that are racist, the appraisers should be shamed/excoriated/fired.  But I don't agree they all represent discriminatory (unintentional or not) practices.  And moreover, not the smoking gun key in whatever endemic system that is causing housing disenfranchisement.  I have houses in different countries, as a foreign national, and I don't think that merits praise for having busted through the burdensome ceiling of xenophobia or whatever the fuck.  Get a steady job, pay your bills, save a downpayment, thats 95% of getting into property.  The 5% is not what stops anybody from their station in life.

TLDR: "there no racism in MY community, it's just economics!"

Without a hint of irony towards the stated goal of the southern strategy to frame race issues as economic issues

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

@fattyflattie THIS is what we mean when we say the police aren't properly trained. They're trained to be hammers and the THE LAW, so they treat everything like a problem to be crushed. 

Absolutely insane that we the people have to take measures to make sure your local gang doesn't have any pretense to claim qualified immunity after victimizing you

Yeah, this example is pretty fucking evident of terrible policing. I don’t believe this was lack of training, this was a group of men that wanted to kill someone, or get as close as they could to it. Additionally, I’m pretty sure I’ve never argued against additional police training.  Lastly, I’m pretty sure the lack of “thin blue liners” joining the thread is because there’s quite literally nothing defensible about the acts of these police. Other than the initial stop (last I read it’s not on vid?) which is also in question (validity), everything they did from the jump is wrong.  A seemingly great young man and father lost his life, his kid lost a father, parents lost their son, and 5 psychopaths are going to lose theirs.  Needless doesn’t begin to cover it imo. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a silly absolute. I agree most deaths at the hands of police are preventable but sometimes it's their job to shoot people and sometimes those people wind up dying. Do you not want cops to stop school shooters? Or suspects that shoot at them first? 

I can definitely get behind "cops shouldn't murder anyone ever". Which should be fairly achievable yet apparently isn't. 

Yea it would be cool if they actually stopped school shooters but lol at that example 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, this example is pretty fucking evident of terrible policing. I don’t believe this was lack of training, this was a group of men that wanted to kill someone, or get as close as they could to it. Additionally, I’m pretty sure I’ve never argued against additional police training.  Lastly, I’m pretty sure the lack of “thin blue liners” joining the thread is because there’s quite literally nothing defensible about the acts of these police. Other than the initial stop (last I read it’s not on vid?) which is also in question (validity), everything they did from the jump is wrong.  A seemingly great young man and father lost his life, his kid lost a father, parents lost their son, and 5 psychopaths are going to lose theirs.  Needless doesn’t begin to cover it imo. 

Same as George Floyd but that didn't stop the back the blue cocksuckers. Wonder what the difference here is? Oh it's probably just because Memphis is a shithole right?

• Hook 'Em 2

Some of yall need to live in Greenspoint for a period of time

Its the hood, people die every day. Seen a dude die yesterday crossing the street. Ive seen a dude die at a yard sale, right by JC Penny. Ive seen a guy stick a firecracker up a cats butt, and lit that shit on fire… pow-pow, POW-POW! Its wild in the hood

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its the hood, people die every day. Seen a dude die yesterday crossing the street. Ive seen a dude die at a yard sale, right by JC Penny. Ive seen a guy stick a firecracker up a cats butt, and lit that shit on fire… pow-pow, POW-POW! Its wild in the hood

I read this in Rutger Hauer's voice in "Blade Runner"  And while it made me laugh, I am also bummed out as hell by this unncessary murder.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No it isn’t. They aren’t judges or juries and they shouldn’t be executioners. Their job is to take people to jail. Every death at the hands of police is a systemic failure

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

image.gif.abe0cb4c916c98279f9c0c2620740162.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No it isn’t. They aren’t judges or juries and they shouldn’t be executioners. Their job is to take people to jail. Every death at the hands of police is a systemic failure

So if someone is shooting up a public place you think that police are unwarranted to use deadly force in putting a stop to that incident?

That's a bizarre take but you're entitled to your opinion. 

Just now, ztejas said:

So if someone is shooting up a public place you think that police are unwarranted to use deadly force in putting a stop to that incident?

That's a bizarre take but you're entitled to your opinion. 

Did I say unwarranted or did I call it a systemic failure?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No thanks, don’t really need to become more desensitized to watching someone die IRL. Human already barely value other people’s lives. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a silly absolute. I agree most deaths at the hands of police are preventable but sometimes it's their job to shoot people and sometimes those people wind up dying.

It actually isn’t “their job”. Police have no legal obligation to intervene or help someone in need whatsoever. Proven in court by the “Mad Max” NYC stabbing case where the cops just watched someone get stabbed half to death feet in front of them and did nothing. Courts ruled the police had no duty to protect the citizen that was fighting for his life with the killer. I would like to believe they would help and I think they should, but it’s important to know that police never have to kill anyone or even stop a crime in progress if they don’t want to.

• Hook 'Em 5