Tyre Nichols beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

Pancho

People care deeply about unjust death. Black deaths. Eric Gardner, Tyre Nichols, all avoidable travesties deserving of spotlight and memorials and justice. 

Over the last 3 years, there have protests, marches, and riots, pitching police homicide as the great existential threat to black men in America. Its the flagship, worry du jour. 

Every year, 3000 black men die from suicide, 10000 from homicide…and 10 from the police while unarmed.
(per CDC, WaPo). 

What we choose to signal as the biggest killer of black men is…not the 10000?  The response should match the reality. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

What we choose to signal as the biggest killer of black men is…not the 10000?  The response should match the reality. 

Finally you make a great point I can agree with. But actually homicide is nowhere close to the biggest killer of black men. Heart disease & cancer dwarf that number. Therefore it’s stupid to try and do anything to reduce black homicide deaths or deaths by police until we fix the cancer and heart disease problem. It’s the same reason giving money to St. Jude or other children’s cancer reaserch is a monumental waste of time & money. Firearms and other accidents are the leading cause of death for children & adolescents in this country, not cancer. It makes no sense to try and help mitigate cancer deaths when there’s bigger killers out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Finally you make a great point I can agree with. But actually homicide is nowhere close to the biggest killer of black men. Heart disease & cancer dwarf that number. Therefore it’s stupid to try and do anything to reduce black homicide deaths or deaths by police until we fix the cancer and heart disease problem. It’s the same reason giving money to St. Jude or other children’s cancer reaserch is a monumental waste of time & money. Firearms and other accidents are the leading cause of death for children & adolescents in this country, not cancer. It makes no sense to try and help mitigate cancer deaths when there’s bigger killers out there.

Absolutely correct. Heart disease is almost 100k annually, and with other health related causes makes up 300k annually. 

I singled out suicide and specifically homicide because they are direct human-caused incidences; theoretically the most avoidable. 

20 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I personally love the part where he uses the qualifiers "men" and "unarmed" to make the number smaller. As if the deaths of unarmed black women don't matter, and a black person being armed is a justification for their deaths.

Fewer than 1% of ALL black police-caused death tracked by wapo are women.  

That really helps makes your point huh?

80% of police-caused deaths were armed, for ALL races. What does that tell you about race selectivity?

Try to keep up. 

We’re in the era of bodycams and Freedom of Information act. Please show us a shooting of an armed person (any race, color, or gender) that you find unjust but society doesnt. 

Edited by 52-80

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You’re welcomed to challenge the numbers and methodology. Skepticism of it is healthy. When the response is to deny it (“he’ll just throw more numbers at you” lol), or dismissal without refuting it, ill take my numbers over your words any day. 

I dont doubt blacks get pulled over more, or ticketed more over trivial shit.  Without looking into it, ill even wager on your side for it. (I said prejudices still persist). 

But notice I didn’t compare homicide rate to *arrest* rate or *stop* rate or *petty* crimes like theft. I cited specifically violent incidences. With an annual occurrence of 700k in America. (per FBI)

Now tell me, in cases of violent crimes (assault, robbery, homicide), how skewed are race-biases in conviction to throw those numbers off? If I was white and stabbed my neighbor, what are my chances of getting away with it? vs a black person?

Your duty to prove that now. Or not. 

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2020/07/27/disparities/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You are, seriously, a rancid piece of shit. 

How so? What did I say that’s untrue? This is a horrific crime and it never should have happened, but this has been going on for as many centuries as we’ve had societies. These guys committed a crime and will be punished, probably get life. What more do you want done? The police will try and learn from this and will implement training and screening in an effort to have it not happen again, but it will definitely happen again because cops are human, and subject to all the flaws that come with it. But they are no more evil than any other group. The vast majority are trying their best, but there will always be a very small percentage that abuse their authority or are just assholes. The guy’s family definitely will be awarded many, many millions of dollars, and if Floyd’s family is a benchmark there will be inter family squabbles about it. If history repeats he’ll at least have a street named after him. And burning some cars and businesses of people who are in no way involved while coincidentally grabbing some flatscreens or Jordans and emptying liquor stores in the process neither proves or solves anything.
  • Fuck You 16

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

People care deeply about unjust death. Black deaths. Eric Gardner, Tyre Nichols, all avoidable travesties deserving of spotlight and memorials and justice. 

Over the last 3 years, there have protests, marches, and riots, pitching police homicide as the great existential threat to black men in America. Its the flagship, worry du jour. 

Every year, 3000 black men die from suicide, 10000 from homicide…and 10 from the police while unarmed.
(per CDC, WaPo). 

The bolded part is where you seem to close your mind off. It's the entire criminal justice system. African Americans are incarcerated at a rate of 2,306 per 100,000. Whites at 450 per 100,000.

I would imagine that a 2.3% incarceration rate has a pretty big influence on suicide and homicide rates. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

How so? What did I say that’s untrue? This is a horrific crime and it never should have happened, but this has been going on for as many centuries as we’ve had societies. These guys committed a crime and will be punished, probably get life. What more do you want done? The police will try and learn from this and will implement training and screening in an effort to have it not happen again, but it will definitely happen again because cops are human, and subject to all the flaws that come with it. But they are no more evil than any other group. The vast majority are trying their best, but there will always be a very small percentage that abuse their authority or are just assholes. The guy’s family definitely will be awarded many, many millions of dollars, and if Floyd’s family is a benchmark there will be inter family squabbles about it. If history repeats he’ll at least have a street named after him. And burning some cars and businesses of people who are in no way involved while coincidentally grabbing some flatscreens or Jordans and emptying liquor stores in the process neither proves or solves anything.

image.gif.71a43b6450d60d633a5de7906f784c4e.gif

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What a cheap shot from you, tagging me as peddling disingenuous arguments .  Spoilered for everyone else not interested.

Reveal hidden contents

You frame this as some unimpeachable topic off-limits from disagreement. There's no margin for discussion. Anyone who disagrees is some bad person. That's close-minded bullshit, and you know it.

I believe: today racism/discrimination is not the primary, secondary, or tiertiary determinant of any inequality (like property wealth-building); discrimination absolutely does exist and will continue to exist as intrinsic human nature; where it's demonstrably proven, it should be vilified so to be eradicated; where it doesn't credibly exist, don't falsely claim so because it dilutes the prior point.  

A person's identity subjects that person to some manner of discrimination?  sure.  A person's identity (black) as the main cause for wholesale disenfranchisement from housing?  hard no.

Pretty simple.  If you think that is disingenuous and not worthy of conversation, don't fucking tag me.  Block me and move on.  I'll tag @hayden_horn and @Dahobbswho show willingness to talk in earnest.

Here's just one 2021 article, linked directly from the Reuters article establishing racial-bias in housing appraisal/valuation, driving down black house values: https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/Blog/Pages/Reducing-Valuation-Bias-by-Addressing-Appraiser-and-Property-Valuation-Commentary.aspx

* White household and neighborhood have higher appraised value.  That's correlation, not causation.

* Most appraisers are white, and almost none are black.  That's occupational self-selection, not ipso facto foul.

* Racial/ethnic composition should not be included in appraisal to imply lower pricing.  Sure, so let's see their cited examples that is supposed to show negatively biases:

**e.g., "The racial makeup of the city was 86.28% white, 12.46% Black or African-American, 0.52% Native American, 0.22% Asian, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.56% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race."  Not racist/bad.  This is basic demographic information, available anywhere, and is as neutral as age composition or school rating or other common information in Neighborhood description of listing..

**e.g., "The most common language spoken is English. Other important languages spoken here include Italian and Spanish."  Maybe racist in intent.  Just very strange to highlight languages, so definitely poor practice.

**e.g., "The ethnic groups that have immigrated to a neighborhood over the course of many years and noted it was "one spicy neighborhood."  Not convincingly racist.  Clumsily worded sure.  Is this supposed this cater to a negative bias against Indians, or West Indies?  Is saying a house "located in vibrant Chinatown" or "in the Little DR, Washington Heights, Manhattan neighborhood" a discriminatory revelation?  Disagree.

**e.g., "A neighborhood described as "predominately Hispanic" and that the residents have "assimilated their culture heritage" into the neighborhood."  Yeah it's racist. It easily suggests the writer thinks non assimilation is a negative trait.

**e.g., "Noting the area's first Asian mayor."  Positive but useless factoid.

**e.g., "A reference to a neighborhood being originally "White-Only," before becoming a "White-Flight Red-Zone" to explain why the neighborhood is mostly "Working-Class Black" now.  Highly racist, because of the specific and negative connotation "only" "flight" "working-class"

There you go.  Everything ranging from completely harmless to clearly racist.  These are examples they cite, so must be some of the 'best' samples.  The ones that are racist, the appraisers should be shamed/excoriated/fired.  But I don't agree they all represent discriminatory (unintentional or not) practices.  And moreover, not the smoking gun key in whatever endemic system that is causing housing disenfranchisement.  I have houses in different countries, as a foreign national, and I don't think that merits praise for having busted through the burdensome ceiling of xenophobia or whatever the fuck.  Get a steady job, pay your bills, save a downpayment, thats 95% of getting into property.  The 5% is not what stops anybody from their station in life.

Stating, and then supporting, fact is hardly a cheap shot.

I recognize that your rebuttal of Reuter’s is not disingenuous. Your argument, like most commentary, merely fails to persuade.  What is disingenuous, in addition to the political plank you keep repeating, is that you ignored the information that I spoilered.

But, to be clear, the question of whether there is systemic racism in the real estate market was settled in court, and the court’s ruling is at odds with  your fu.

Spoiler

I believe you can avoid knowing if I have tagged you through the blocking function. If I thought you were a troll, I would act on my own behalf. I take issue with a statement you continue to make. I believe I supported my position.

• Drool 1

On a silver lining note (if you can call it that), I am genuinely heartened at the lack of civil unrest associated with this incident over the past weekend.  I was fearing Rodney King-esque unrest all over the place, especially considering the professional rioters that will latch on to any opportunity to unleash a little anarchy.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

On a silver lining note (if you can call it that), I am genuinely heartened at the lack of civil unrest associated with this incident over the past weekend.  I was fearing Rodney King-esque unrest all over the place, especially considering the professional rioters that will latch on to any opportunity to unleash a little anarchy.

And yet Conservatives are openly wondering why BLM and others aren't rioting when black police officers are the ones involved in killing a black man. According to the right, there's only riots when white cops kill black people.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952j3vynqaa55e4eutz0j

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I echo this. Post-tragedy it's heartening to see a) expedient "justice" in the firing and criminal charges of the cops and b) non-violent protests and community gatherings being held peacefully and c) general lack of civil unrest for the sake of civil unrest

Dare I say that progress-- however slow or incremental-- is being made? Arguing over whether progress is happening fast enough is a better argument than it not happening at all, I guess.

Have you guys been following the rumors around this? Lastest is that Tyre was sleeping with one of the cops baby mommas… and apparently cop sent a pic of Tyre after he got beat down to said lady.
If true, shouldn’t they be charged with first degree murder? Haley is the cop in question.

9 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Have you guys been following the rumors around this? Lastest is that Tyre was sleeping with one of the cops baby mommas… and apparently cop sent a pic of Tyre after he got beat down to said lady.
If true, shouldn’t they be charged with first degree murder? Haley is the cop in question.

Probably not the most responsible thing to spread unsubstantiated rumors, right? At least provide some sort of link or source.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Saw the part about him *potentially seeing one of the cops ex's upthread.  Never saw the pic afterward/sent, that is crazy.  Fuck yes he should be charged in that case. 

18 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I think it’s probably good information hygiene for everyone living in this century to disregard stuff like this as bullshit until there is good reason not to.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And yet Conservatives are openly wondering why BLM and others aren't rioting when black police officers are the ones involved in killing a black man. According to the right, there's only riots when white cops kill black people.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952j3vynqaa55e4eutz0j

It's been heartening to see the justice system actually act with some expedience, instead of forming a phalanx around the murder's house like they did with chauvin after the George Floyd footage came out (image in spoiler below)

Plus, the police haven't been looking for fights and rolling up to groups of protesters to """disburse""" them. Isn't it amazing how much less violent things are when the police aren't shooting rubber bullets and riot mines at protesters?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Uhhhh, thats because most are desensitized to it/dont care because this shit is commonplace mow

its not a good thing

OK, so NOT rioting and setting public and private property ablaze, attacking civilians just because they stopped at the wrong intersection, that is NOT a good thing.

Gotcha.

• Haha 1

Here is actually breaking and factual update information:

6th Memphis Police Officer Suspended in Tyre Nichols Death

It was not immediately clear what role the officer, Preston Hemphill, had played in the incident that led to murder charges against five fellow officers fired from the police force

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Probably not the most responsible thing to spread unsubstantiated rumors, right? At least provide some sort of link or source.

Dude, you are notorious for not providing links.

See below: 

7 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Here is actually breaking and factual update information:

Now, I don't doubt the veracity of your information, but it is common courtesy to provide one. And, before you say something like "This was from a newsletter!" those emails always include links.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

It’s almost like “professional rioters” isn’t even a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”

This was written into a Supreme Court decision by Chief Justice John Roberts. He attained the pinnacle of a profession that, to be good, requires critical thinking. This sentence lacks critical thinking entirely, and is what drives so many ordinary people to pretend that things are just this simple. It took the appointment of Kentaji Brown Jackson to point out that the reconstruction amendments, along with a ton of federal legislation, was intended to be discriminatory based on race to remedy centuries of ills caused by the ownership and enslavement of human beings and laws that were discrimatory against them and their descendants. There are people alive today who were denied access to certain educational and employment opportunities based solely on the color of their skin and discriminatory laws. Any reasonable person would understand that this tends to have negative effects for generations of descendants of people who were enslaved, and then treated as second-hand human beings, including (again) people still alive today. I'm sure someone will point out that some black people today are rich, which of course, again, lacks any semblance of critical thinking. It's insane that we still have to have these conversations.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think it’s probably good information hygiene for everyone living in this century to disregard stuff like this as bullshit until there is good reason not to.

One of my close friends in Memphis is dating a cop administrator there and sent me this:

099B8BCB-D453-46C4-B732-C8D1699A0FE9.jpeg

• Haha 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11692549/Memphis-DA-rule-charges-against-officers-scene-Tyre-Nichols-beating.html

Sixth Memphis Police officer is relieved of duty over brutal beating of Tyre Nichols: Cop pulled him from car, tased him, and then said 'I hope they stomp his a**' after FedEx worker ran from officers during traffic stop

Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy said there may be more charges

Preston Hemphill has been suspended and is on administrative leave from MPD

Two Memphis Fire Department personnel have also been relieved of their duty

A sixth officer has been 'relieved of duty' by Memphis Police following the assault and death of Tyre Nichols.

Preston Hemphill was suspended and has been on administrative leave following an internal investigation on January 8 - a day after the brutal assault on January 7. 

Hemphill, who joined the force in 2018, could be facing further charges after his suspension.

His bodycam footage was released on Friday, showing Hemphill pulling Nichols from his car forcefully and pulling him to the ground. 

The video shows him hitting him on the ground with a Taser, and making chase when Nichols escaped but lost him - adding,  'I hope they stomp his a**.'

67128827-11692549-image-a-1_167509646792

huh.

weird.

32 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Dude, you are notorious for not providing links.

See below: 

Now, I don't doubt the veracity of your information, but it is common courtesy to provide one. And, before you say something like "This was from a newsletter!" those emails always include links.

Sorry. Yea it was from an email newsletter and I don't click into them for links usually but here you go, from NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/30/us/memphis-officer-suspended-tyre-nichols.html

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

OK, so NOT rioting and setting public and private property ablaze, attacking civilians just because they stopped at the wrong intersection, that is NOT a good thing.

Gotcha.

He’s a nurse and wants to stitch people up afterwards to work overtime to get to that $200k annually. Also, he’s a fucking moron. Of course it’s a good thing. 

This thing looks to me more about payback than over-zealousness.. Seem almost like something out of the Knapp commission from NYC from the 70s.

Now the question is going to be who had the real beef with him and is this something tied to just someone on that squad wanting payback or something much worse as a paid job.

The sad part about this is that if hadn't died, this would have just been another case of was this justifiable force in restraining the suspect.

• Like 1

What's the record for the most people ever arrested for the murder of a single person?  

For you CrimLaw types (my only A in law school but I'm dumb now), if a "good guy with a gun" happened upon this death-by-hands...would they be within their rights to shoot the murderers (assuming of course, they're not blown away first)?  

What's the record for the most people ever arrested for the murder of a single person?  
For you CrimLaw types (my only A in law school but I'm dumb now), if a "good guy with a gun" happened upon this death-by-hands...would they be within their rights to shoot the murderers (assuming of course, they're not blown away first)?  

As a matter of law, objectively applied? Yes. Absolutely.
As a practical reality? Hell no.

The disparity in those answers captures our problem rather well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This thing looks to me more about payback than over-zealousness.. Seem almost like something out of the Knapp commission from NYC from the 70s.
Now the question is going to be who had the real beef with him and is this something tied to just someone on that squad wanting payback or something much worse as a paid job.
The sad part about this is that if hadn't died, this would have just been another case of was this justifiable force in restraining the suspect.

If you believe the Twitters - Haley.

17 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

This thing looks to me more about payback than over-zealousness.

It is possible this might be the desired effect of the potential misinformation about the ex's baby mama and pic taking twitter rumors.  Move the opinion of a few from "this is an instance indicating reform is still needed" to "this is just a bad apple who had a personal grievance." 

• Like 1