Yellowstone

RPM

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Another example of that would be the girl at the bar ordering a “skinny margarita with Tito’s.” No one puts vodka in a margarita.

If the point was to give Tito’s a quick shoutout for advertising purposes, which obviously Tito’s has paid for some mentions this season, then pick one of the hundreds of drinks that a reasonable person would actually make with vodka. Putting their product in a margarita isn’t a great look.

If the point was to make the girl look dumb or basic, then let her order a hard seltzer or rosé or whatever. Or a vodka soda if you wish to rep Tito’s.

Having her obviously botch a drink order just makes the writers look dumb and careless.

another annoying part of that scene was immediately after beth's little pep talk, the dude comes out of the bathroom and is like, "where the hell is my beer?"

hmm, ok.  strangers don't talk to each other that way, let alone couples in public.

but beth is so astute that she saw a clearly abusive human and nailed him in seconds.  it also was counterintuitive to her entire thesis, which was "he doesn't deserve you".  it would've made more sense for him just to come out normally and her to see him, agree that beth was right, and then go off and do her thing.  he didn't need to be a cartoonish aggressive prick to elicit that type of response. 

i know i know, forget it hg, it's yellowstone.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It looks like Sheridan dumped The Last Cowboy off on CMT. Wise choice Paramount.

The cutting horse/ quarter horse stuff is interesting. These are working horses that are essential on ranches like The Yellowstone.

The professional reining circuit stuff is not. It’s up there with dressage as stupid shit rich people spend immense fortunes on. 

I think Sheridan is trying to introduce horse business as important income stream for The Yellowstone to explain how John is going to turn the ranch around/obtain money needed to fight his enemies. 

John’s vision right. The real money is in horses. 

Not familiar enough with the money part of showing off the horses like Taylor did. Where did the money come from that Jimmy got checks for? We’re the horses sold? There didn’t look like there was anyone in the stands. 

Probably mentioned - I guess Garrett thought having all the Dutton’s killed Jamie would inherit it all. Part of his master plan to get control of the money. Which is how he convinced all those guys to try to kill them, they’d get paid later. But this show has so many twists who knows if he was responsible. 

13 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Not familiar enough with the money part of showing off the horses like Taylor did. Where did the money come from that Jimmy got checks for? We’re the horses sold? There didn’t look like there was anyone in the stands. 

Probably mentioned - I guess Garrett thought having all the Dutton’s killed Jamie would inherit it all. Part of his master plan to get control of the money. Which is how he convinced all those guys to try to kill them, they’d get paid later. But this show has so many twists who knows if he was responsible. 

I’ll defer to RPM and the other Surly horse guys to answer this one. I’m just an observer. 

50 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

My assumption was that those were futurity checks, or something similar. Dutton owns the horse, he gets the winnings, then pays the trainer, rider, etc. Just like race horses. 
The competitions in which I have either participated or observed don’t usually have large audiences, especially reining contests. As you guys are learning, they’re pretty boring to the layman. 

On 11/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, Ten Bears said:

He grew up in Cranfils Gap so I doubt he is a stranger to cowboying.

He did not grow up in Cranfills Gap, I grew up in Cranfills Gap, and he would have been a Sophomore when I graduated. No one knows him. Apparently he lived in Ft. Worth, and they had a weekend place somewhere close, but no one has ever seen him. There are only about 200 people in town, and I am friends with anyone that would have known him. Gary Finstad, my old ag teacher was also a farrier, and put shoes on every horse in a 20 mile radius, and he don't know him.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Another example of that would be the girl at the bar ordering a “skinny margarita with Tito’s.” No one puts vodka in a margarita.

If the point was to give Tito’s a quick shoutout for advertising purposes, which obviously Tito’s has paid for some mentions this season, then pick one of the hundreds of drinks that a reasonable person would actually make with vodka. Putting their product in a margarita isn’t a great look.

If the point was to make the girl look dumb or basic, then let her order a hard seltzer or rosé or whatever. Or a vodka soda if you wish to rep Tito’s.

Having her obviously botch a drink order just makes the writers look dumb and careless.

My wife drinks those. She’s not allowed to have tequila and she knows it.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Entry fees. 

The futurity this next week cost $2,777 to sign up. $2,500 is entry fees. It looks like they have about 600 horses signed up so somewhere in the $1.5 mil range from entry fees alone. 

https://nrhafuturity.com/2021/futurity-conditions.pdf

I

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think we all need to acknowledge the possibility that Taylor Sheridan is just an insufferable douchebag.

Yeah, at first I thought it was funny and kind of cool that he wrote his character as a raging asshole...but I'm starting to think maybe he just is a raging asshole.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I don’t think anyone is surprised by or disputing the cost of these things. We just don’t think it makes for great television to have him constantly tell us the cost.

yup.  if you want to show us something cool, show us something cool and we'll enjoy it.  don't show us something and wonder if it's cool, and then have every cowboy stop what they're doing and stare, and then have multiple conversations about how much money is in play just to make sure everybody is aware of how fucking cool it is.

i have no reason to think that isn't sheridan just playing himself.  once again, being mean doesn't make a character look cool, unless that character is rip.  end of list.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CHIEF said:

He did not grow up in Cranfills Gap, I grew up in Cranfills Gap, and he would have been a Sophomore when I graduated. No one knows him. Apparently he lived in Ft. Worth, and they had a weekend place somewhere close, but no one has ever seen him. There are only about 200 people in town, and I am friends with anyone that would have known him. Gary Finstad, my old ag teacher was also a farrier, and put shoes on every horse in a 20 mile radius, and he don't know him.

CHIEF

Huh, that's weird.  His wiki says Cranfills Gap.  

9 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Huh, that's weird.  His wiki says Cranfills Gap.  

Stolen Valor. His dad was a cardiologist in Ft. Worth. His "rural upbringing" was on weekends and summers. There were numerous kids of his ilk, around Cranfills Gap, when land was cheap.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Yeah, at first I thought it was funny and kind of cool that he wrote his character as a raging asshole...but I'm starting to think maybe he just is a raging asshole.

I also agree that he’s just playing himself, which makes me think I would kind of hate him in real life. Sorry if I’m not impressed by your spinning horse tricks, your $120,000 pickup, or the way you talk like a narcissistic asshole to everyone.

I don’t have to like him to enjoy his work, but his presence on screen has become inversely proportional to how much I like a particular episode.
  • Like 2

I also agree that he’s just playing himself, which makes me think I would kind of hate him in real life. Sorry if I’m not impressed by your spinning horse tricks, your $120,000 pickup, or the way you talk like a narcissistic asshole to everyone.

I don’t have to like him to enjoy his work, but his presence on screen has become inversely proportional to how much I like a particular episode.
You just wish you had "Caiman Alligator" seats in your pickup, right? Who would actually say such an oddly specific thing?

The script is terrible.

I can't stop watching.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well the girl I dated for years, before I met my wife, is a dressage horse person (who also braids them, draws them, etc)…and I’m incredibly grateful to this thread, and therefore this show, for leading me to find others out there who agree that it is completely regarded stupid shit that makes no sense except as an outlet for people to waste money on showing off.  So thanks for that.  

I also can accept that horses are unique animals and appreciate a bond that is created between man/beast working on a common goal…but I’m fucking tired of spinning, trotting or ABS-less horses taking up 2-3m of pointless screen time every episode.  Please make it stop. 

image.gif.cfa53dc9818e0f3913244e11085a1614.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 11/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

And I drove through there Wednesday and didn’t see him either. Of course I blinked so may have missed him by the convenience store.

5 hours ago, Dilligas said:

And I drove through there Wednesday and didn’t see him either. Of course I blinked so may have missed him by the convenience store.

I use to joke that the entrance and exiting city limit signs were hung on the same pole. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 5:04 PM, BearSchlong said:

You just wish you had "Caiman Alligator" seats in your pickup, right? Who would actually say such an oddly specific thing?

The script is terrible.

I can't stop watching.

Yeah I hate so many things about this show but I watch it for the fashion. Nice to see people on tv that actually dress like me for a change.

• Hook 'Em 1

it's been a while...do we know the backstory on Jamie's wife/baby?? if so i forgot... that seemed out of left field but he didn't seem surprised in the slightest

She was his campaign manager and then they hooked up. She told him she was preggers but said she wouldn’t stay with him if he was working for his father and she left him in season one (or maybe it was two). I guess she’s back.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Who was the old guy they said was on the same level as God and George Strait?  That was a good line and the conversation about not wanting to get off the horse because you wouldn't be able to get back on and that you don't want everyday to be a rodeo was pretty good.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

piper perabo is hot !

That's who that was...I haven't seen her in anything in awhile and couldn't place her.