Yellowstone

RPM

Having the same issues with Yellowstone flashbacks as I do with House of the Dragon…outside of Lloyd and obviously Beth, have a hard time always telling who is who.  Was really ‘proud’ of young Rip playing it smart in the bar, however, and along with Jimmy/Lloyd are about the only characters I can really stand.  

On further reflection it’s really just the Beth/Jamie dynamic that is borderline exhausting to watch.  I get that he made a poor choice when helping her sweep the unintended pregnancy under the rug, and he dug his hole deeper with his biological father…but once I saw the next episode preview I said to myself ‘oh boy, here comes yet more flogging for Jamie!!!111’.  

You keep beating someone down for a past transgression, their mood goes from regret to resentment to outright rage…giving them no choice but to seek out alternative paths for ANY positive reinforcement.  It’s a fictional show so you need some arc to tell a story, but after awhile the Beth/Jamie dynamic is like listening to The Wall on repeat and eventually get to ‘JFC Roger stfu and cage that dripping self pity…have some grace and accountability’.  

“End up like a dog that’s been beat too much until you spend half your life just coverin up”

Regardless I’ll keep watching it.  It’s a show for my wife and I to watch together, need something to bridge until Ted Lasso / White Lotus episodes + burn time until Stranger Things / HotD / etc, and it’s gorgeous to look at.  But damn I’m tired of the all powerful, beyond-the-law, pissed off, predictable pigeon hole they’ve jammed most of the women into.  It feels lazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Regardless I’ll keep watching it.  It’s a show for my wife and I to watch together, need something to bridge until Ted Lasso / White Lotus episodes + burn time until Stranger Things / HotD / etc, and it’s gorgeous to look at.  But damn I’m tired of the all powerful, beyond-the-law, pissed off, predictable pigeon hole they’ve jammed most of the women into.  It feels lazy. 

Yep. I catch myself feeling hypocritical sometimes because for all of my bitching, it’s a Sunday evening event for us. I make supper for the two of us, and it feels a lot like when I was a kid and my dad would make brownies and ice cream for all of us right before “Dallas”. 

• Hook 'Em 3

my favorite part was after the 9-12 months (presumably) of dutton running for governor, not to mention the several years of having a relationship with the old governor, he had no idea what the job was about, what duties were involved, or how the hiring process worked.

for a guy who "hasn't been home in over a month", he sure wasn't doing much in terms of preparation.  he had to give two "speeches" and bitched the whole time, not to mention blamed everyone around him for getting him in this mess that he himself got himself into to keep jamie from doing it.

also i didn't really need long, drawn out flashbacks to give me the keen insight that beth has always been a hurtful attention whore (and real whore) and that john dutton doesn't like outside interests  coming in and fucking with his land.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Apparently you can never have too many "strong" female characters who are unabashed bitches that talk down to everyone to let the audience know that they're good at business.

here was my post from 40 pages ago:

the one thing that bothers me (although y'all seem obsessed with her) is the kelly reilly character.  i'm getting a little sick of shows set up like this, where the majority of the characters are men, so invariably, the only woman is "the ultimate badass".  and they almost always start by showing us how badass she either by killing it in the boardroom around a bunch of older men, or at some bar, by herself, shooting someone down who's hitting on her.

in this show, we got both.  very paint by numbers.

it's almost like they wanted to make this a pilot for new viewers who had never seen the show.  which is weird.

the other show that came out around the same time was succession which also had one female lead, a redhead, and of course, a badass.  though shiv is a far superior character to beth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s wolf depredation?

If the wolves are depredating (i.e. attacking) livestock you can get a tag to kill them even though they're otherwise protected. Texas has something similar for depredating hogs where you can shoot them with no hunting license.  Of course hogs are always fucking shit up, so they're kind of by definition depredating something.

• Like 1

Rip is just a shitty people manager.

Tells two guys to stake out the cow corpse at night and kill the wolves when they come back.  Bitches at them for shooting tagged wolves in the dark using thermals.  

Tells the kid at the last second to get saddled up then bitches at him that he's not immediately ready.

It's probably a good thing he and Beth can't have kids because those kids would be all sorts of fucked up.

For the horse riders out there, is avoiding holes the rider's job or the horse's?  Seems like a lot for the rider to keep up with and I've always assumed horses naturally looked where they were going.  But I obviously know shit about horseback riding.

it's almost like they wanted to make this a pilot for new viewers who had never seen the show.  which is weird.
the other show that came out around the same time was succession which also had one female lead, a redhead, and of course, a badass.  though shiv is a far superior character to beth.

Watched the second hour of premiere last night. Do we really have to have another scene of Beth in the bar drinking and some poor dude tries to pick her up only for her to spectacularly destroy the guy and then walk dramatically away? I mean we get that once or twice a season it seems.
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wives who fantasize about a life where they married a cowboy and get to ride horses everyday, and their husbands who complain about everything their wives like?

Just speculating.

Oh it’s more than that. Beth says and does whatever the f*** she wants and doesn’t have children. Ultimate suburban housewife escapism. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, TrashMaster G said:

So exactly where in Montana is there a river making the border with Canada?

It's that really straight river that follows the 49th parallel.  I forget what it's called.

Fun fact, Paris is about 9 miles south of the 49th parallel.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, WBT said:

Driving metal fence posts like young Rip was doing is a damn good workout

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Yep. I’m good for three or four T posts a day. 

The hydraulic post driver is the greatest invention in the history of ever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Yep. I’m good for three or four T posts a day. 

Here on the High Plains they drive with no problem. When I was in college I worked on K-State’s ranch, and our multi-year project was several miles of new fence. Driving those fuckers through the flint rocks made the beer taste damn good on Friday nights. I was 170 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal. The ladies couldn’t help themselves. 

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I love this show but, fuck's sake.  We've already got multiple scenes of TV's worst character, Beth, doing Beth things.  And now, we'll probably get to watch Monica mope around for the next 5 episodes.

Monica annoys me because she could (should) have been this strong woman in Kayce's life - different strength from Beth - with a pull to his nuclear family and the history of the land. But they made her super annoying, weak and someone who complains about everything. really sucks.

8 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

At the end I believe that Jamie becomes the hero and saves the ranch and puts Beth in her place but finds pity for John Dutton.

I agree with this, long term Jamie is the one who saves the ranch.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

And now, we'll probably get to watch Monica mope around for the next 5 episodes.

Yep, big pet peeve of mine is writers who have a character that they will never let be happy. Monica fits that bill.

ER did the same with Mark Greene. Tortured him with mountains of shit season after season until finally killing him with brain cancer.

• Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

ER did the same with Mark Greene. Tortured him with mountains of shit season after season until finally killing him with brain cancer.

I mean WTF? It's Goose and you give him a needy, cheating, whore of a wife that mindfucks him so hard he got brain cancer. The man deserved better. At least he got to go back to Hawaii.

At the end I believe that Jamie becomes the hero and saves the ranch and puts Beth in her place but finds pity for John Dutton.

That would be an awesome long-game to pull on all the wannabe Beth Duttons out there. And for that reason I don’t think it will happen. I bet Sheridan and Co. love the Beth stans.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yep, big pet peeve of mine is writers who have a character that they will never let be happy. Monica fits that bill.

right.  but also jamie who has been told to kill himself several times, if that counts. 

in last season's finale, beth and john are talking, and john is like (paraphrasing) "he's my son, i raised him as my son, sure, he's my greatest failure and a total disappointment, but he's still my son, i just want to know if you murdered him."

they might be setting up a jamie redemption arc, but we've been feeling that way for multiple seasons.  and for him to be the hero, it would have to be at beth's expense, which i don't think the show is prepared to do.

it would've been the perfect timing to have that bar scene backfire on beth, but writers make choices, and they just can't quit her.  maybe when she turns 50 she can stop calling him daddy.

I still dig this show.... but the drive times are killing me. I've driven I90 a hundred times.... shit... it's 5 miles from my house... but this hamilton to Missoula to helena to billings.... all in life 30 minutes. Fuck off. Break out the chopper. It's dumb