Yellowstone

RPM

Like ive said before, Yellowstone is easily Sheridans worst show. If it werent for those two piece of shit movies that came out during the pandemic (Those who wish me dead- meh, not awful…. And Without Remorse - cringey bad), Yellowstone would be the worst thing hes done, period

He has me for life thanks to the writing of Sicario and Hell or High Water, and the writing/directing or Wind River. 1883 was fun and fine, Mayor of Kingstown has shown promise, and Tulsa King is great. Its amazing how many folks on this thread havent seen all of those.

But this show, while entertaining, just isnt on the same level as those. Its like it was written for idiots, with hilarious suspensions of belief, terrible plot lines, and romanticized ideas of what cowboy life is/was. 

I never miss an episode because, like I said, ill watch anything Sheridan. But I personally cant wait until this series is over so I dont have to watch anymore.

and yes, ill be watching 1923, 6666, Lioness, Fast, and Landman

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1923 is interesting because of Mirren and Ford. 6666 is interesting with the local setting. Not up to speed on the rest but I'll watch them.

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Like ive said before, Yellowstone is easily Sheridans worst show. If it werent for those two piece of shit movies that came out during the pandemic (Those who wish me dead- meh, not awful…. And Without Remorse - cringey bad), Yellowstone would be the worst thing hes done, period

He has me for life thanks to the writing of Sicario and Hell or High Water, and the writing/directing or Wind River. 1883 was fun and fine, Mayor of Kingstown has shown promise, and Tulsa King is great. Its amazing how many folks on this thread havent seen all of those.

But this show, while entertaining, just isnt on the same level as those. Its like it was written for idiots, with hilarious suspensions of belief, terrible plot lines, and romanticized ideas of what cowboy life is/was. 

I never miss an episode because, like I said, ill watch anything Sheridan. But I personally cant wait until this series is over so I dont have to watch anymore.

I am willing to give him somewhat of a pass on Without Remorse, co writer doesn't exactly have much experience.

Spoiler

image.png.be1b8328a8207f4bdeb56eedc8d3f456.png

Tulsa King is on my list, just haven't gotten to it.

I think Yellowstone is having it's Lost problem right now where Paramount wants more and more of it (episodes per season: 9/10/10/10 and now 14 in Season 5) and Sheridan had a start and an end but is kind of stuck now as they want MORE of it. Costner was only supposed to do one season. I am generally with you, more interested in what's next vs Yellowstone today.

1923, 6666 and Land Man all are shows I can't wait for

Lioness (CIA) and Fast (DEA) i will watch but way more interested in the first 3.

Edited by NoName

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

amazing?  you're amazed?

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

My wife said "Women who like the Beth Dutton character are the same women who like how Sarah Huckabee dresses."

FjPC-NIXwAQbd1a?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 2

You can call it a soap opera this or that but it’s a good show, requires some disbelief for sure but when Kevin Costner is acting the cowboy part and we see the beautiful landscape it’s hard to see it as anything other than some of the best TV on right now. 

I would argue that it’s an outright bad show. Not mediocre, but bad. Just terrible writing in seasons 3-4. Bad enough that I quit watching after 4 seasons, which puts it in the same category as Dexter, Handmaid’s Tale, and The Walking Dead.

No, it is not some of the best TV on right now. Good scenery cannot elevate it above its many flaws.

Better current TV shows off the top of my head would include The White Lotus, The Boys, Ted Lasso, The Crown, Severance, Euphoria, For All Mankind, Sex Education, Industry, Perry Mason, Winning Time, House of the Dragon, and Succession.

And if we want to include limited series, I would add Station Eleven, Tokyo Vice, and The Offer.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Better current TV shows off the top of my head would include The White Lotus, The Boys, Ted Lasso, The Crown, Severance, Euphoria, For All Mankind, Sex Education, Industry, Perry Mason, Winning Time, House of the Dragon, and Succession.

And if we want to include limited series, I would add Station Eleven, Tokyo Vice, and The Offer.

tokyo vice is supposed to come back. but let’s add slow horses, the bear, and pretty much everything on apple+ and fx on hulu in general. 

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I would argue that it’s an outright bad show. Not mediocre, but bad. Just terrible writing in seasons 3-4. Bad enough that I quit watching after 4 seasons, which puts it in the same category as Dexter, Handmaid’s Tale, and The Walking Dead.

No, it is not some of the best TV on right now. Good scenery cannot elevate it above its many flaws.

if you think it's genuinely "bad" TV you don't watch enough TV or are not aware how many shows are out there. ABC currently has 54 shows on their air, that does not include any sports, any award shows or any specials.

no one here is saying it is one of the best shows on TV. literally, the last few pages have been about how it isn't that.

You just named 13 shows and four of the first five you named aren't even on television (streaming services) - again ABC alone currently has 54 shows on the air. you are vastly underrating

the number i have seen thrown around is that only about 20% of new primetime TV shows make it to season 2. Yellowstone is on 5 and will for sure have a 6th. is it phenomenal? no is it outright bad? no. it's literally in the middle 33% of TV shows on TV. hell, with streaming shows included it may be in the top 33% based on eyeballs alone.

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you think it's genuinely "bad" TV you don't watch enough TV or are not aware how many shows are out there. ABC currently has 54 shows on their air, that does not include any sports, any award shows or any specials.

i assume this number came from somewhere, and i also assume it includes a bunch of daytime tv?  i mean, primetime is only 3 hours and even if they were filled with 6 sitcoms per night (they're not), seven nights of the week (also no) that's only 42 shows.

also "streaming" is 100% considered "tv" now so you should get used to it.  if it's not shown in a movie theater and there are multiple episodes, it's tv.  might be a mini, limited, anthology, whatever, but it's all tv.

another thing to consider is that the closest thing to "love" is not "like", it's "hate".  people are much more likely to quickly hate on a show they once used to really like or love.  for examples of this, please refer to the season 2 thread of lasso, ted. 

when fans enjoy certain elements of a show but there are some silly things thrown in, they become critical because they know what the show could be and possibly already was.  nobody is on here criticizing bachelor in paradise season 9.  though they should, what a disaster.

no one here is saying it is one of the best shows on TV. literally, the last few pages have been about how it isn't that.

The post I responded to and quoted said:

You can call it a soap opera this or that but it’s a good show, requires some disbelief for sure but when Kevin Costner is acting the cowboy part and we see the beautiful landscape it’s hard to see it as anything other than some of the best TV on right now. 

That was the entire reason I posted. If not for that, then I would agree that most posters here have been pretty hard on Yellowstone lately. Except Macklemore who occasionally shows up to say how amazing it is.

Also, streaming TV has been considered regular TV for about 10 years now. No one cares about the 54 garbage shows that come on ABC. They are so bad they aren’t worth having a thread and arguing about.

4 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The post I responded to and quoted said:

That was the entire reason I posted. If not for that, then I would agree that most posters here have been pretty hard on Yellowstone lately. Except Macklemore who occasionally shows up to say how amazing it is.

Also, streaming TV has been considered regular TV for about 10 years now. No one cares about the 54 garbage shows that come on ABC. They are so bad they aren’t worth having a thread and arguing about.

I've got a lunatic AG's gestapo shit to worry about not really interested in debating this really.  it's a nice distraction and easy to watch. I guess it depends on what you want out of TV.  there are some nice one liners too so the "writing" isn't all shit.  the two prior seasons storylines were kind of dumb, shark jumping has happened yeah. but it's better this season. and give me a nice distraction and a show that's easy to watch and it's really good TV imo.  the critically acclaimed shit that takes concentration and effort to watch can be for the rest of you.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Blackbird (Apple+) should be at the top of the limited series list, and I loved Station Eleven.

We were huge fans the first few seasons...enjoyed the cast, the landscape...looked forward to each episode...until this season.  We have moved it to a Monday/Tuesday DVR watch night, instead of Sunday night.  Watched the recent ep on Tues...straight up fell asleep midway when old man died.  I felt like him...I get why he didn't wake up.  

And honestly I don't care to watch the rest after asking the wife if it's worth me finishing it...she said "nope that was pretty boring plot wise".  

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I would agree that most posters here have been pretty hard on Yellowstone lately. 

by "hard on yellowstone" do you mean stuff like...

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

...straight up fell asleep midway when old man died.  I felt like him...I get why he didn't wake up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i assume this number came from somewhere, and i also assume it includes a bunch of daytime tv?  i mean, primetime is only 3 hours and even if they were filled with 6 sitcoms per night (they're not), seven nights of the week (also no) that's only 42 shows.

You also have to consider most prime time shows are only 13 or so episodes per season, so there's more seasons of shows per year. Could be skewing the numbers. I could be full of shit. I was told there would be no maths.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, mchookem said:

i don't think i've liked Monica more than i did when she was tipsy on wine at the dinner table and laughing at Beth's bullshit... finally some personality lol.

And nice boobage when she was skinning potatoes for the post-Gather fiesta at the ranch house. That was Season 1 Monical right there.

I wish Beth would go to the train station.

Wife and I pretty much dread any scene she is in that us at a bar, with Jaime, or some boardroom. But mostly the ones with Jaime. 

Surely they will loop back around to the pesticide flashback right?  I’m also assuming Rip is going to have to lie to John at some point. And Beth will find out Rips first kill was due to her.  Still not sure what is going on with the Kacey family storyline 

• Hook 'Em 2

Is Jaime’s threat about the train station a bluff?  Does he really have any proof?  I thought I recall a statement by someone near the canyon that coyotes or wolves would leave nothing behind.  Whether that’s accurate in real life, I have my doubts.