Poker Face on Peacock

Texzilla58

She does have a female Peter Falk quality that she's running with. Fitting for a show that's supposedly a modern day Columbo. I plan to fit this in as I enjoy Rian Johnson work. We just watched The Brothers Bloom a few weeks back and it was very enjoyable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guess search didn't find my earlier thread. Just finished Ep 1 and it's better than I hoped. Benjamin Bratt has stepped up his game, Natasha is excellent and the writing is strong. I'm hooked. The list of guest stars is finominule. The soundtrack is pretty freakin good, too.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ajax said:

I'll watch for sure. Big fan of Natasha from Russian Doll. Never really saw her in anything before that. She was kind of a hottie when she was young.

She seems so high in that interview. Love her in Russian Doll and Poker Face is on my list. Her voice has gotten much more raspy in the last couple of decades.

It’s entertaining and worth a watch.  Each episode is stand alone with hints of a larger arc that is introduced in episode 1. It allows you to be a casual fan without getting too involved in the show.

besides the inspiration from the how-catch-em style of Colombo, they are also looking at the Colombo style of known guest stars for the episodes.

as for the show being on peacock, if you have xfinity cable to internet, peacock should be free for you. Or it is for me, and I usually forget about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

i watched the first two and it's a good show.  they should revamp their marketing because the trailers make it look like she's going to be a lot more annoying that she actually ends up being.  when she's in it, she's fine, but there are also long stretches (esp in ep2) where she's not in it at all.

the out-of-sequence storytelling takes a bit of getting used to in a new show where you're not familiar with the characters.  will continue to watch.

Just finished episode 3 and I like the general format as others have said.  It's a decent premise and there are great guest stars.  Heck I almost missed Cliff Claven in episode 2.

As far as episode 3, as someone that grew up in East Texas, I don't recall ever seeing a black guy with a truck horn that plays Dixie.  I think that stretched my bullshit meter more than a human lie detector on the run from the mob that finds a new murder to solve every week.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sucker punch is a catchy song.

Potential spoiler warning from episode 4

The twist at the end with the inspiration for the melody was great.

Loving this show and and the throwback to primarily episodic vice serial storytelling.  Lyonne’s schtick fits well with her character.

Not sure why, but I get a strong “My Name is Earl” vibe from the show.    

ETA… Sevigny nails the washed up rocker trying to reclaim former glory.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just finished episode 3 and I like the general format as others have said.  It's a decent premise and there are great guest stars.  Heck I almost missed Cliff Claven in episode 2.
As far as episode 3, as someone that grew up in East Texas, I don't recall ever seeing a black guy with a truck horn that plays Dixie.  I think that stretched my bullshit meter more than a human lie detector on the run from the mob that finds a new murder to solve every week.

The Texas EP had some irritations. A Texan saying Pee-Can was
As improbable as the black dude playin Dixie. The one man radio station was interesting. Had a buddy that did that kind of thing all over Mississippi and west Tennessee.

22 hours ago, Not a cat said:

you do realize that everything about lil rel's character was an act, right?  he was basically wearing a costume.

not everything is a documentary.

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you do realize that everything about lil rel's character was an act, right?  he was basically wearing a costume.

not everything is a documentary.

Wait, this is fiction?  Now it's all coming together.

To be an act like he was doing it needs to be somewhat believable.  I imagine even the "heritage not hate" shouting rednecks gorging themselves on brisket would think "hey that's kind of fucked up."

Or hell, maybe it's possible- now that I think about it a friend of mine has a  Vietnamese brother in law that was in the aggy corps who proudly displayed the Confederate flag in his bedroom.  I just chalked it up to being aggy.

17 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Wait, this is fiction?  Now it's all coming together.

To be an act like he was doing it needs to be somewhat believable.  I imagine even the "heritage not hate" shouting rednecks gorging themselves on brisket would think "hey that's kind of fucked up."

Or hell, maybe it's possible- now that I think about it a friend of mine has a  Vietnamese brother in law that was in the aggy corps who proudly displayed the Confederate flag in his bedroom.  I just chalked it up to being aggy.

no it doesn't, that's the point.  i'm not saying lil rel is playing a role.  he is, but that's not what i'm saying. 

the character he's playing - "taffy boyle the bbq brand front-man" is a character conceived by him (and probably by his brother and sister in law) to help sell bbq and rubs.  he's putting on an show that includes the radio show, the voice, the outfits, and especially the car (and horn).  you could tell when he was driving and dodging calls from the bank and when he was talking to charlie - he was slipping in and out of the character.  he can turn it on and off, but that's not who he really was.  it's an act.

I'm also a Rian Johnson fan and think he's brilliant. The first episode was really good, a lot more raw than what I expected, considering they kept mentioning Columbo in everything I've read. Columbo being in LA among the very rich and she's in whatever town she's in, and living in a old trailer in the desert. There were little things that reminded me of Columbo and the detective shows of that time, like the titles in the beginning of the episode having a 70's look. And the fact she comes across as not to smart but she's got that super power extra sense, like Columbo. This has been a nice surprise. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, Texzilla58 said:

At this rate she going to get a rep for the chick shows up and someoneone is murdered, just like she had for winning poker

I keep wondering when she's going to reflect on that herself. "Man, sure is weird that every time I show up in a new town, somebody gets murderered. It's like I'm in a TV show or somethin."