Tom Verlaine RIP

HenryJames

Goddamn.

back in the days I was playing with my old band, our producer told us to go listen to Marquee Moon as homework. It’s still one of the few albums I actually have downloaded on my phone, one of my main “heads down working” albums. High ratio of influence to fame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, TexPx said:

Bummer. Saw Television open for Peter Gabriel on his first solo tour. Row 4 at Dallas Convention Center Theatre.

Seeing Robert Fripp, Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd on the same night was pretty cool.

Christ, what a dream line up.  Congrats on being there.  I grew up in Fort Worth, I should have been there.

13 hours ago, cafe society said:

Television was a gateway band, so skilled, innovative and raw at the same time.  As a musician, if you weren't affected by them, go home.

This.  They were like a late 70s VU.  You couldn't hear Marquee Moon and not have some little bit of musical ear worm enter your consciousness and exit through your guitar.  Huge loss.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Christ, what a dream line up.  Congrats on being there.  I grew up in Fort Worth, I should have been there.

09cfcb9b4c99e19d2c590f81fd30477b.jpg
Yeah it was a helluva show. Fripp was using the pseudonym “Dusty Rhodes” at the time. After two encores we were still screaming for more. The came back out and Gabriel said they hadn’t learned anymore songs and wanted to know if they could repeat something. So the did.

18 years later I saw Richard Lloyd again. This time at the Caravan of Dreams with Matthew Sweet on his “Girlfriend” tour. He was incredible and seemed to be having the time of his life.
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  They were like a late 70s VU.  You couldn't hear Marquee Moon and not have some little bit of musical ear worm enter your consciousness and exit through your guitar.  Huge loss.  

exactly the comparison I was thinking of with velvet underground

• Hook 'Em 1