No, no, it's all right, he's just killing my alligator bags and shooting holes in my suits. Man, that's just MEAN. That's MEAN, man.

Rimbo

Years ago I was visiting in-laws in Pittsburgh and watching CFB on a Saturday.   Everyone went out to do something and I stayed behind to preserve my sanity.   

My youngest nephew stayed back, as well. He was 4 or 5 at the time. 

So, I was forced to watch Big 10 FB and found Payback as my back up program during commercial times out.  

My nephew couldn’t care less about the football but would pay attention when Payback was on. I flipped back to the show right when Val was beating the stuffing out of Rosie and realized the scene was not age appropriate for him and quickly switched back to the football. 

Nephew looked at me and said “why is he doing that to her?”

I replied “there are bad people in the world that do mean things to others.”

He looked me dead in the eyes and said “I like that.”

We strictly suffered through Northwestern at Purdue for the next few hours.

Critics note:  Lucy Liu is smoking hot in that film. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My recollection was that they added some blue tint or washed out vivid colors in Payback to give it a gritty or older look. 

also recall thinking that why the bad guys were supposedly the Chicago mafia, even using their name of The Outfit, the guys definitely had non-Italian names and looked anything but Italian. Coburn and Kristofferson.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My recollection was that they added some blue tint or washed out vivid colors in Payback to give it a gritty or older look. 

also recall thinking that why the bad guys were supposedly the Chicago mafia, even using their name of The Outfit, the guys definitely had non-Italian names and looked anything but Italian. Coburn and Kristofferson.

And William DeVane.

8 hours ago, deadshank said:

Nephew looked at me and said “why is he doing that to her?”

I replied “there are bad people in the world that do mean things to others.”

He looked me dead in the eyes and said “I like that.”

By any chance is he currently a PhD criminology student in the Pacific Northwest?

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2023 at 4:04 PM, Hmbre97 said:

Damn, I forgot all about this movie. I am also just finding out they released a recut of the movie in 2006 and I don't think I've ever seen it.

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I vaguely remember the recut being even better.

Wait... what? OK I need to find out about this.

I had never seen the directors version before. Apparently the director was fired after principal filming. They had some rewrites which creates screen time for the character acted by kristofferson. The new director added a few scenes with him, and pieced it together.  This explains why that character seemed a bit disjointed from many of the scenes.

kristofferson isn’t in the directors cut.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:19 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I had never seen the directors version before. Apparently the director was fired after principal filming. They had some rewrites which creates screen time for the character acted by kristofferson. The new director added a few scenes with him, and pieced it together.  This explains why that character seemed a bit disjointed from many of the scenes.

kristofferson isn’t in the directors cut.

The Blue Ray has both versions. Should be arriving today. I plan to watch it on my birthday next weekend. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GHNY3DQ?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

• Hook 'Em 1

Good film iyam, both versions.

Alternate versionEdit

Helgeland's version, Straight Up: The Director's Cut, was released on DVD, Blu-ray, and HD DVD on April 10, 2007, after an October 2006 run at the Austin Film Festival. The Director's Cut version features a female Bronson, that is never seen only heard over the phone voiced by Sally Kellerman, does not include the voice-over by Porter and several Bronson-related scenes. During their scuffle (which is longer than in the theatrical version and was the main source of controversy), Porter earlier tells Lynn that his picture with Rosie was taken before they met, thereby rendering her jealousy unjustified. This version has an entirely different, ambiguous ending where Porter is seriously wounded in a train station shootout and driven off by Rosie.

A June 4, 2012, look at "movies improved by directors' cuts" by The A.V. Club described Payback: Straight Up as "a marked improvement on the unrulier original.

As far as Gibson movies not being on, personally I have no idea what is on most channels. Since I cut the cord, about 99% of what I watch is on demand.  When I had cable I would check out what was on TNT, TBS, USA, etc.  i haven’t done that in a decade.

I verified that few of his films are currently on Netflix or prime, but that could be a function that he wants more money than they will pay. I believe his production company owns many of his films.

1 hour ago, Nole-4-Life said:

SPOILER FOR A 24 YEAR OLD FILM: Don't know which ending this is but I like the one where Porter breaks out of the truck of the car and blows up Kristofferson on the phone bomb telling him "you were right not to trust me."

That's the theatrical version, here is the Director's cut version: