NFC Championship: 49ers @ Eagles - 2pm CST FOX

Tailgate

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

FOX needs to move Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen to the radio and promote Harlan and Kurt Warner to the booth for these prime games.  

neither Kevin or Greg have the big time announcer voices

Burkhardt to the unemployment line. 

Olsen’s not bad. He sounds a lot like Daryl Johnston.  

SF's defense looks like shit when they aren't allowed to hold and make contact the whole way down the field. They employ the Pete Carroll strategy from the Legion of Boom days. Hold every single play knowing the refs won't call them all. But when the refs are calling them, look like shit and then SF starts crying lmao. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Burkhardt to the unemployment line. 

Olsen’s not bad. He sounds a lot like Daryl Johnston.  

Olsen is terrible and says some really stupid shit -- not sure whose ass he kissed or did whatever to to call the NFC Chsmpionship game. 

Damn the whole booth is really biased towards Philly today... FUCK!!!

Moose Johnston should be one of the guys in the booth today.

I mean, SF is on the road with their QB out.  And yet they can still get to the locker room down 7.  

The chance they were gonna march 80 yards in 90 seconds with Johnson right there was **very** small.   There was a far greater chance of giving up a sack, and/or a couple incompletions and giving Philly a free possession from midfield.   

It seems to me that, in general, coaches have learned from analytics (e.g. you rarely see a punt anymore once a team crosses midfield).  But I think end-of-half clock management still errs on the side of being way too aggressive.  Often, the smart thing is to run it up the middle twice and go to the locker room.  

Hell, UT did that with Garrett Gilbert right before the half vs Bama (also with starting QB out with an arm injury).  If I recall correctly, we could have gone to locker room down 7, and instead ran a cluster-fuck of a shovel pass deep inside our own end of the field, and gave up a pick-6.  

Just a boneheaded high-risk-low-reward decision.   

The end of that half played out almost exactly like our Colt less Bama game. In fact, the whole game has almost. SF is down 7 and getting the ball back to start 2nd half.  A terrible turnover leads to a TD right before half and that deficit with a wide eyed backup becomes that much greater.

My question is how is Josh Johnson still on rosters. I get you have him there thinking he will never play but he does nothing well. I don't see the point. There is a reason he has played for half the league. No one wants to keep him.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Olsen is terrible and says some really stupid shit -- not sure whose ass he kissed or did whatever to to call the NFC Chsmpionship game. 

I think Olsen is one of the best younger guys in the booth, and Johntson has been so unjustly demoted year after year. He should be doing Superbowls. They are both similar, talk about actual football and not a bunch of stupidass hyperbole and bullshit.

Edited by DougO

1 minute ago, Paul Wesley said:

I mean, SF is on the road with their QB out.  And yet they can still get to the locker room down 7.  

The chance they were gonna march 80 yards in 90 seconds with Johnson right there was **very** small.   There was a far greater chance of giving up a sack, and/or a couple incompletions and giving Philly a free possession from midfield.   

It seems to me that, in general, coaches have learned from analytics (e.g. you rarely see a punt anymore once a team crosses midfield).  But I think end-of-half clock management still errs on the side of being way too aggressive.  Often, the smart thing is to run it up the middle twice and go to the locker room.  

Hell, UT did that with Garrett Gilbert right before the half vs Bama (also with starting QB out with an arm injury).  If I recall correctly, we could have gone to locker room down 7, and instead ran a cluster-fuck of a shovel pass deep inside our own end of the field, and gave up a pick-6.  

Just a boneheaded high-risk-low-reward decision.   

This thread/game is turning into the blast from the past I really didn't want.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Disagree. He’s pretty inexperienced and has to talk for 3.5 hours. Some subpar stuff is going to come out. I like Johnston better, but he’s been doing it a while. Again, though, Burkhardt makes me mute the sound on a lot of plays. 

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

I think Olsen is one of the best younger guys in the booth, and Johntson has been so unjustly demoted year after year. He should be doing Superbowls. They are both similar, talk about actual football and not a bunch of stupidass hyperbole and bullshit.

Olsen sucks...

• Hook 'Em 2