You know how you know you’re not cool anymore?

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

At a young age, that's when I knew I liked the mature ladies. Preferred her over Babs or Mandy any day.

No way, it was clearly:

1.  Mandy

2.  Mrs. Wormer

3 (tie).  Katy (Karen Allen) & Brunella from Emily Dickinson College

5.  Babs 

All else is commentary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Underdog said:

Shelly

Mandy

Mrs Wormer

Katy

Clorette

Babs

Shit, I meant Shelly not brunella on my list.  Mandy, mrs wormer, Shelly/Katy Allen (tie/3way), babs.  
and you’re a sick fuck for putting underage chick from the food king on there.  

Another way to know you’re not cool anymore is you say the phrase “oh, they wouldn’t be able to make a movie/show like that these days…”  even though there’s all kinds of creatively edgy stuff being produced constantly   We’re just cool enough for anybody to let us in on it  

in the case of Animal House though, it is absolutely true.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Shit, I meant Shelly not brunella on my list.  Mandy, mrs wormer, Shelly/Katy Allen (tie/3way), babs.  
and you’re a sick fuck for putting underage chick from the food king on there.  

Another way to know you’re not cool anymore is you say the phrase “oh, they wouldn’t be able to make a movie/show like that these days…”  even though there’s all kinds of creatively edgy stuff being produced constantly   We’re just cool enough for anybody to let us in on it  

in the case of Animal House though, it is absolutely true.  

No way Blazing Saddles could be made today. That’s the gold standard. 

Currently re-watching Seinfeld on Netflix. There are quite a few plot lines that would need to be adjusted. Edgy in today’s cultural frame is one thing. But some of the things they did were straight non-pc when it came to sexual orientation, mental abilities, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Blazing Saddles is almost so campy and obvious in its satire, you could pull it off.  It's got a Jordan Peele-esque element to it with Mel Brooks being just slightly less black than Peele.  Plus there was a social lesson in Blazzing Saddles that Mel and the cast was trying to get across.  

Animal House had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  The drunks, date rapists, cheaters, and thieves all get away with everything and go on to live charmed lives because they're white.  Everybody else, from women, to men in uniform, et. al.  They all get fucked over in the end.  There's no moral at all.  Which is fine, it was a comedy, and I love it to this day.  But at least Blazing Saddles has this wink and a nod to the audience via Gene Wilder that the stupid people see degrees of losing as still winning.  And in the end, some of them even come together to save Rock Ridge.  

I dunno, this is how I know I'm not cool.  i socially dissect movies instead of getting stoned and rewatching them.  I need to find a source for legal gummies.  I can't smoke and of course in Texas, a handful of THC gummy bears will kill me.  I have a guy on retainer who can have people gaslit, followed, credit destroyed, estranged from their families, framed for white collar crimes, etc.  But he told me he can't get me THC edibles because the heat on that shit is too strong right now in Texas.  That's how not cool I am.

• Hook 'Em 1

Things I had to Google while reading this thread.  

Aerial America

Modest Mouse

Fuck it, man...I'm still cool.  Always have been.  Just turned 52 and settled down quite a bit, but I'm still the sociable, mostly extroverted, hard-rockin' guy that I've always been.  Raised on proper manners with a decent education that I've only barely utilized.  Mostly did things my way and also learned from my mistakes.  I have friendships that have lasted decades, my hobbies have always been the same, I still dress the same, still (apparently) have sex appeal, married to an adorable nerd who's way too good for me.  Despite my ever-declining opinion of mankind, I genuinely like people, and they seem to like me, so...I must be doing something right.  

What I don't give a fuck about:  changing pop-culture trends, television, personal drama, and society's growing narcissism.  

But yeah...I might be THAT dude banging my head to Whitesnake in the grocery store.  While I'm picking out that perfect brisket for the weekend...

• Hook 'Em 5

The drummer for Modest Mouse died a couple of weeks ago. He was 45 years old. Their biggest record (which sadly he was not able to perform on as he was dealing with mental health issues) was released 19 years ago.

(of course I guess that’s how they came up in this thread in the first place).

Similar effect - I heard Superbad referred to as an old movie 

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone interested in Aerial America might like the slow tv phenomenon from Norway. They show hours and hours of footage of stuff happening really slowly -- fishing, knitting, whatever. The best is the 7 hour train ride from Bergen to Oslo -- camera at the front of the engine just records a regular day's journey across southwestern Norway. It's great to have on the second screen as you're working. "I started my workday in Bergen, and I'm ending in Oslo."

Yes, I'm uncool. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, honolulu horn said:

Anyone interested in Aerial America might like the slow tv phenomenon from Norway. They show hours and hours of footage of stuff happening really slowly -- fishing, knitting, whatever. The best is the 7 hour train ride from Bergen to Oslo -- camera at the front of the engine just records a regular day's journey across southwestern Norway. It's great to have on the second screen as you're working. "I started my workday in Bergen, and I'm ending in Oslo."

Yes, I'm uncool. 

I was traveling back and forth to and living and working in Norway at the time. It was bigger than the Beatles. Captivated the entire nation. Biggest tv ratings in a very, very long time. 
The one that is on the prow of the Hurtigruten ships (ferry/cruise ships that go back and forth from southern Norway to the northern tip, abutting Russia) is awesome. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/29/2023 at 4:30 PM, DougO said:

I've never been cool. But I feel a lot better about myself when I see all the crazyass bullshit going on these days.

Dude, I've read your posts. You're cooler than Billy D. Williams pitching Colt 45 and Ricardo Montalban pitching rich Corinthian leather put together. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I wore those New Balance for about 20 years until they started getting cheaper quality and less stabile. I switched to Asics for a decade or so, then the same thing started happening. Now I primarily wear Columbia Newton Ridge hiking boots. They last a lot longer.

And yeah, I have several pair of each in various states of wear for different tasks depending on how nasty the job is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I wore those New Balance for about 20 years until they started getting cheaper quality and less stabile. I switched to Asics for a decade or so, then the same thing started happening. Now I primarily wear Columbia Newton Ridge hiking boots. They last a lot longer.

And yeah, I have several pair of each in various states of wear for different tasks depending on how nasty the job is. 

Probably been ASICs for me for like 25 years. Havent noticed any particular issues with quality, but I stopped running in them about 10 years ago, because knee issues, which confirms my old status. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:02 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Jack Kilby gave me the calculator. 

He wore a pocket protector so I didn't have to.

jackkilby.jpeg

He also gave you your PC, your cell phone, and all the eeeelectronic shit in your car and everything else.

Notably, Jack doesn't have a pocket protector in that photo.  And in none of the photos that I can find.  He was a physicist, not an engineer and therefore less likely to have pointy pencils or leaky drafting pens in his pockets.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Probably been ASICs for me for like 25 years. Havent noticed any particular issues with quality, but I stopped running in them about 10 years ago, because knee issues, which confirms my old status. 

I've always been a supinator, mostly in my right foot so my right shoe starts turning over after a while, then I get sore knees. When I stopped wearing New Balance it got a lot better with the Asics. But the last few pair I got seemed to start turning over a lot faster and knee pain insures. The ankle-boot hikers seem to keep me more stabile for longer wear, but it's getting harder and harder as I get old AF. I think I need a knee scope or something for old meniscus damage.

I always liked Asics shows. I wore them back in the 80s when they were called Tiger, but then Nike and Reebok started playing big boy brand with the big shoe chains and had them blackballed. Then I couldn't find then anywhere. I always thought Asics were better than both of them. 

I'm not a big.. sneakerhead or whatever, i'm actually currently wearing a pair of flyknits i've had since 2016. But at any rate, I think New Balance is "cool" again. You can get Onitsuka Tiger sneakers, which are the more fashion/lifestyle Asics shoes. Kinda vintage trainer type sneakers were trendy for a while and there were several tiger sneakers that fit that bill. Nikes are always cool, just which ones change a bit.

I actually need to buy a pair of sneakers tomorrow, i'm kinda talking myself into trying some air maxes.

-Blazing Saddles could totally get made today.  The reason being is that it doesn't punch down.  All the people who say and do racist, sexist, evil shit are the butts of the jokes.  They're the losers, and it's obvious.  A harder movie to "get away" with today would be something like Wedding Crashers where the ostensibly likeable characters toss around "gay" and "homo" as casual insults.

-Never was particularly cool.  Where I did luck out was that by being an old millennial (born in '85) that was wired more like a Gen Xer (was basically raised by Gen X older cousins/neighbors), I liked what I like and had little interest in keeping pace with my cohorts' various trends - particularly when it came to music or fashion.  This made me seem mysterious and iconoclastic in college to chicks, and older millennial chicks seemed to be attracted to guys who didn't act like millennials.

-Once I had to start asking younger cousins, coworkers, or associates what certain sayings meant, or what certain common terms meant, I knew I was old. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

-Blazing Saddles could totally get made today.  The reason being is that it doesn't punch down.  All the people who say and do racist, sexist, evil shit are the butts of the jokes.  They're the losers, and it's obvious.  A harder movie to "get away" with today would be something like Wedding Crashers where the ostensibly likeable characters toss around "gay" and "homo" as casual insults.

-Never was particularly cool.  Where I did luck out was that by being an old millennial (born in '85) that was wired more like a Gen Xer (was basically raised by Gen X older cousins/neighbors), I liked what I like and had little interest in keeping pace with my cohorts' various trends - particularly when it came to music or fashion.  This made me seem mysterious and iconoclastic in college to chicks, and older millennial chicks seemed to be attracted to guys who didn't act like millennials.

-Once I had to start asking younger cousins, coworkers, or associates what certain sayings meant, or what certain common terms meant, I knew I was old. 

What about Something about Mary?  Could that be made today?