AFC Championship: Bengals @ Chiefs - 5:30 CST CBS

Tailgate

Guess I’m just in an arguing state of mood.

Refs are late in stopping plays often as it relates to timeouts. Same here. It’s just this was less common and a little odd. The whistle was clearly blown with the ref running onto the field. When the ball is blown dead, it’s dead. It’s that simple.

No way in hell was this anywhere close to 2015 OSU. Until the Ossai penalty, the Bengals had one more yard in penalties than the Chiefs. Yes, the Bengals had more penalties, but they were legit. The Chiefs had big penalties. The TD off the board. The turnover taken away. Significant field position on the punt return. The taunting against the chiefs, which ultimately led to a Bengals TD. If the Bengals are sitting on their side of the field, do they go for it on 4th and 6 at their 44? I’d say unlikely. That was the ensuing drive - penalty, Mahomes fumble, go for it on 4th.

In 2015, they had more penalties than I recall, but we had 3 times as many yards and twice as many penalties. One negated a turnover. They took a turnover from us. The unsportsmanlike on Strong that took it from a long field goal to very makeable. They had 7-40 in penalties so most were 5 yards. In looking at the play by play, on the game winning FG drive there were 3 consecutive penalties on us, DPI, Poona Ford holding then the unsportsmanlike on Strong. Also on that quick look at play by play, we had multiple penalties that resulted in first downs on 3rd downs for OSU or potentially negated first downs.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I get being mad but it’s surprising to see how many bengals threw Ossai under the bus postgame. He also didn’t have but one fellow player consoling him on the bench. Shitty ass teammates.

The Bengals are a shitty organization, always have been. Keep in mind they are the OTHER organization in the NFL where the owner is the de facto GM, just everybody pays more attention to the one in Dallas.  I still remember watching their Hard Knocks back in like 2009 and thinking they were fucking cheap ass mickey mouses.  

No surprise it bleeds over to the players.  

• Like 1

I get being mad but it’s surprising to see how many bengals threw Ossai under the bus postgame. He also didn’t have but one fellow player consoling him on the bench. Shitty ass teammates.

Mixon is a captain, right?

Burfict. Pac-Man Jones. Ohio and their crappy fans.

He’s a pretty inexperienced player. He also was hustling his butt off and that’s why it happened. It wasn’t a cheap shot and possibly lost in the moment a bit. If you don’t pick your teammate up there, you aren’t a great teammate. And it really is that simple.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gotta feel really bad for Ossai. Kid was hustling all game, especially in the 4th and made several great plays. Sucks that it had to end the way it did. It’s also a little less definitive the he cost them the game. KC might’ve been able to get off one more quick play and still ended up in FG range. If they didn’t, it would’ve just gone to overtime. If they had been up by one or two, that would be much harder to deal with mentally. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Ossai is a class act. He'll be OK.

Some of those other fuckers will always be bums.

13 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Do people really think the NFL would jeopardize a 17 billion dollar industry by instructing part time refs to rig the game in order to improve ratings for the networks that have already paid them money to broadcast the game?

I don't know?     Maybe the NBA can give us some insight?

MV5BZDdhN2IwZjMtZjE0Yi00ZTc1LTgxMDctZjJm

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hands down the worst announcer. No one comes closec98c3a0578f80a9014cab73a8ce50691.jpg

The fact is the product that both Fox and CBS put out today is trash.    The commentators are as boring as watching grass grow or paint dry.   And they can't seem to mix up the piped in crowd noise.    And the graphics suck on Fox.   

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The fact is the product that both Fox and CBS put out today is trash.    The commentators are as boring as watching grass grow or paint dry.   And they can't seem to mix up the piped in crowd noise.    And the graphics suck on Fox.   

I can’t believe Fox is still using that stupid robot football guy.  

14 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Do people really think the NFL would jeopardize a 17 billion dollar industry by instructing part time refs to rig the game in order to improve ratings for the networks that have already paid them money to broadcast the game?

I've heard my fellow Cowboys fans conspiracy theories since Super Bowl 5, of course that pass was touched. I finally got sucked over to the dark side for awhile last night. More Mahomes fatigue than anything.

Chiefs win. All is well. If you think the refs handed it to us, think again. Feel terrible for Ossai, he played real well. But the bengals lost 4 points at the end of the first half all on clock management. Sure the “redo” play was weird but the ref was running on the field, he has to stop the play. Chiefs eagles will be more fun than bengals eagles. Watch mahomes do magic!

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

If refs were rigging games for ratings the Cowboys would not have a 25+ year drought. Even now the regular season and playoff games break viewing records. They sure as fuck wouldn’t have let them fuck up Dez’s catch.

It's not rigging, yet.   But it sure seems like it with the inconsistent calls,  especially with the Touching the Passer,  aka,  Roughing the Passer calls.  Throw in this BS on catches and the what is considered a completed pass, it's sending the game to NBA like unwatchability and the perception that league has with certain teams getting love all the time vs others.   

I like the Cowboys, but like many fans I am not a Jerry Jones worshiper.  BUT, he has spoken out against a few things that have put his at odds with the Goddel and the rest of the owners.  Or at least some of the other Primadonnas like ones like Kraft.    

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Just because it wasn't shown on TV doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

No one complaining about the real travesty from the games: Verizon wasting Cecily Strong and Paul Giamatti in their incredibly lame TV campaign. Why bother hiring Strong if you just have her recite mindless copy points?  

The new trend of movie stars being in all these commercials is kinda odd to me. Is Paul Giamatti really making people want to signup for Verizon over a cheap nobody actor?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

But after he landed and two steps out of bounds he pushed him. Was bang, bang, but was no point in it.

A few plays earlier one of the Chiefs defenders took about 3 steps and shoved Burrough with both hands right in front of the refs and flipped him.  No flag.  Actually more flagrant than Ossai's.

3 steps AFTER he released the ball.

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Does anybody think gamblers with millions on the game wouldn't try to influence refs?

49 minutes ago, bullet said:

A few plays earlier one of the Chiefs defenders took about 3 steps and shoved Burrough with both hands right in front of the refs and flipped him.  No flag.  Actually more flagrant than Ossai's.

3 steps AFTER he released the ball.

This one looked a bit late also... 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

This one looked a bit late also... 

Amazing to me how fans just accept one position, and particularly certain players, being officiated completely differently than other players. In a sense I understand that football is so popular because it is such a direct reflection of America. Rage filled, violent and aggressive. It also accepts different rules for certain players/high wage earners/stars because Americans are mostly moronic ball lickers. Still, having pussy assed soccer rules for pussy assed QB's can't be sustainable, nor a good thing. Then again, I'm old and remember a different game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

If refs were rigging games for ratings the Cowboys would not have a 25+ year drought. Even now the regular season and playoff games break viewing records. They sure as fuck wouldn’t have let them fuck up Dez’s catch.

And that's the crux of it. The Cowboys have been good enough at times over the last 26 years for the refs to job them into the NFC title game. They haven't ever done it, and if they were going to do it for anyone it would be the Cowboys. Especially now that they're building a Red Sox/Cubs drought

nsiap ...

Joseph Ossai's hit on Patrick Mahomes goes down in Bengals infamy, but he didn't face scrutiny alone
Teammate B.J. Hill, others stood up for Ossai — 'I’m not going to put up with no dumb questions'

https://sports.yahoo.com/joseph-ossais-hit-on-patrick-mahomes-goes-down-in-bengals-infamy-but-he-didnt-face-scrutiny-alone-061108543.html

Good on ya', BJ Hill. Bad muthafucka.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — B.J. Hill stands 6-foot-3, weighs 311 pounds and had just spent three hours trying to haul down Patrick Mahomes. Now the Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle had taken on a new job, the world’s most intimidating, and perhaps protective, press agent. Inside a devastated Cincinnati Bengals locker room, Hill stood directly on the left shoulder of teammate Joseph Ossai and warned the media that had gathered in front of them.

“Any dumb questions and I am shutting this down,” Hill said.

In the locker room, teammates had hugged him. They tried to lift him up. They patted his back and told him that it was just one play in a game of many, that it was a hustle mistake, not some sign of anything more than “playing his heart out,” as Hubbard put it. Head coach Zac Taylor came and embraced him and let him cry into his shoulder.

This is a moment of individualized sporting trauma, a nightmare, something that is far easier to say should be minimized than actually minimized. Perspective was hard to find.

Hill stood and listened to each question and each answer. He cut off two queries that he deemed “dumb” or perhaps unfairly accusatory.

“Ask a better question, bro,” Hill snapped.

The media gaggle carried on. This was one teammate, literally standing up for another teammate, shoulder to shoulder, side by side, question for question. In the darkest of moments, this was impressive.

Everyone knows that these things can linger, haunt and drag down reputations and careers. In this case, in these first minutes, Hill was going to do everything he could to make sure that wasn’t the case.

When football teams talk about being a family, well, this is being a family.

“It didn’t come down to that play,” Hill said. “I’m not going to put up with no dumb questions that make it seem like it was all his fault. It takes more than him. It takes an entire team.

“That’s my brother,” Hill continued. “I’ve been in that situation before, too. I had a chance to make a game-winning sack [against Dallas]. I just missed a sack. I’ve been there. Trying to blame it on one person, I’m not going to have that.

“The way he plays his butt off each and every play,” Hill explained, “that’s how he practices and that’s how he plays. I have no problem with that play because I know what his intentions [were].”

“It’s a blessing,” Ossai said of the outpouring by Hill and others. “I'm sorry things didn’t go our way.”

It may not be enough for some fans or even some teammates or perhaps for Joseph Ossai to truly put this behind him. Time will tell. Time will, hopefully, heal.

It was enough for now though, a stand-up guy facing up to the worst mistake he ever made on the field in the biggest game he’d ever play. And a teammate standing with him in Bengals solidarity, saying as much about this team as any victory ever had.

17 hours ago, Massive Horn said:

Amazing to me how fans just accept one position, and particularly certain players, being officiated completely differently than other players. In a sense I understand that football is so popular because it is such a direct reflection of America. Rage filled, violent and aggressive. It also accepts different rules for certain players/high wage earners/stars because Americans are mostly moronic ball lickers. Still, having pussy assed soccer rules for pussy assed QB's can't be sustainable, nor a good thing. Then again, I'm old and remember a different game. 

Well the NBA pioneered that.  Bird, McHale, Parrish, Jabbar, Magic, Worthy all got different treatment.

6 hours ago, bullet said:

Well the NBA pioneered that.  Bird, McHale, Parrish, Jabbar, Magic, Worthy all got different treatment.

And that it is why it sucks a sport and has the dumbest fans. Fucking NBA is unwatchable. It is populated with entitled bitches who whine and flop around. It is the US version of soccer. I find it odd that the NFL thinks that following the lead of some bitch sports played in short pants as the model for officiating the QB position is the way to go. Still, fans have accepted it and will continue us to do so. I'm clearly an outlier. 

Edited by Massive Horn