Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

Zero optimism on the basketball board, maybe this thread will be different.

Dillon Mitchell has completely fallen off mock drafts from what I’ve seen; I hate it for him, but he needs more time before the NBA. Really looking forward to seeing how everything plays out after the season. If we keep the two recruits signed and the guys with eligibility left out of the portal, there’s a great nucleus for the new coach to stack some transfers around. Tyrese (ideally playing like himself again), sophomore Terio and DM, 30 year old Brock, a potential superstar in Ron Holland, and Brumbaugh/AJ Johnson as backup guards who can handle the ball. Pick up a wing with outside range and a rim protector in the portal and I think that’s a salty team. I trust CDC to get the right guy to build off the shred of momentum we have left after Beard’s demise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Why? Because it makes your package appear larger? Or because it's a necessity in humid climates to minimize swamp crotch?

Oh, man. UReallyDontKnow.

5 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

You hang out with a Zoroastrian named Vilma?

I've been known to be insolent on occasion and thusly placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Zero optimism on the basketball board, maybe this thread will be different.

Dillon Mitchell has completely fallen off mock drafts from what I’ve seen; I hate it for him, but he needs more time before the NBA. Really looking forward to seeing how everything plays out after the season. If we keep the two recruits signed and the guys with eligibility left out of the portal, there’s a great nucleus for the new coach to stack some transfers around. Tyrese (ideally playing like himself again), sophomore Terio and DM, 30 year old Brock, a potential superstar in Ron Holland, and Brumbaugh/AJ Johnson as backup guards who can handle the ball. Pick up a wing with outside range and a rim protector in the portal and I think that’s a salty team. I trust CDC to get the right guy to build off the shred of momentum we have left after Beard’s demise.

This would certainly be the happiest timeline.  
I have zero expectation it goes down like that.  Assume everyone that can will transfer and everyone that signed will sign somewhere else.  We will literally be starting at 0 (more or less) with the new guy. It's going to suck.  That's the more realistic timeline.  Embrace it.  At least if what I said happens, which is practically the modern day death penalty, happen with a good new coach he can portal hunt well enough to have us as a team that shouldn't be worse than 500 and should be interesting to watch in 2 or 3 years. That's if we get the right guy. If we get the wrong guy he will point to the abject car wreck of a roster (which will be a fair complaint) and tell you he needs 4 years before you can make a determination if he's a good coach or not and hang on to as much of that sweet sweet cash as he can get.  

It's got the possibility to be really really ugly.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This would certainly be the happiest timeline.  
I have zero expectation it goes down like that.  Assume everyone that can will transfer and everyone that signed will sign somewhere else.  We will literally be starting at 0 (more or less) with the new guy. It's going to suck.  That's the more realistic timeline.  Embrace it.  At least if what I said happens, which is practically the modern day death penalty, happen with a good new coach he can portal hunt well enough to have us as a team that shouldn't be worse than 500 and should be interesting to watch in 2 or 3 years. That's if we get the right guy. If we get the wrong guy he will point to the abject car wreck of a roster (which will be a fair complaint) and tell you he needs 4 years before you can make a determination if he's a good coach or not and hang on to as much of that sweet sweet cash as he can get.  

It's got the possibility to be really really ugly.  

Lol right, that’s definitely more realistic. Where will we possibly find a coach and players that can achieve the glory of an above .500 record? Sure, the next guy might end up sucking worse than Shaka. But considering this is a top 15 job at worst, the amount of talent in Texas + the program’s national pull, the resources UT is seemingly throwing into basketball lately, and CDC’s solid track record of landing the right guy, the extreme pessimism is wild to me. Beard isn’t the only coach who has rebuilt a roster in one offseason with success recently, although he might have been up there with the best.

Buzz fucking Williams even has a&m at 15-6 and 3rd in the SEC, where our new hire will likely coach most of his contract. Not that aggie mediocrity would be acceptable, but it’s far from hovering around .500.

4 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Lol right, that’s definitely more realistic. Where will we possibly find a coach and players that can achieve the glory of an above .500 record? Sure, the next guy might end up sucking worse than Shaka. But considering this is a top 15 job at worst, the amount of talent in Texas + the program’s national pull, the resources UT is seemingly throwing into basketball lately, and CDC’s solid track record of landing the right guy, the extreme pessimism is wild to me. Beard isn’t the only coach who has rebuilt a roster in one offseason with success recently, although he might have been up there with the best.

Buzz fucking Williams even has a&m at 15-6 and 3rd in the SEC, where our new hire will likely coach most of his contract. Not that aggie mediocrity would be acceptable, but it’s far from hovering around .500.

I guess I should note that when I say hovering around 500 I’m ignoring going 7-0 on guarantee games. I mean conference and teams OOC with a pulse. If we go 17-15 because we went 9-0 against hot garbage and 8-15 against everyone else I don’t consider that a win. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Funny you should ask, that’s something my father has done on occasion. He’s also accused chestnuts of being lazy from time to time. 

your father sounds like he had the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.  No doubt he was attracted to French prostitutes named Chloe with webbed feet.

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2023 at 12:29 PM, CashMcCoy said:

Dillon Mitchell has completely fallen off mock drafts from what I’ve seen; I hate it for him, but he needs more time before the NBA.

Not sure what mocks you're looking at. I have yet to not see him listed anywhere - if he declares he will get drafted. 

That doesn't mean he's a first round pick or that he won't return to college but he will have options.

Arterio will most likely not be drafted. Them two staying will be dependent on who is coaching Texas next season (unless Mitchell keeps flashing like he did last night).

No one in their right mind is drafting Tyrese. He's undersized and isn't a good scorer at any level. Arterio has a much higher draft stock. 

I honestly think the best case for hanging on to Holland and the other kid is Terry staying. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they stay regardless. The allure of playing at Texas right now is higher than it's been since we landed LMA and KD (among others) off the back of that FF appearance. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Not sure what mocks you're looking at. I have yet to not see him listed anywhere - if he declares he will get drafted. 

That doesn't mean he's a first round pick or that he won't return to college but he will have options.

Arterio will most likely not be drafted. Them two staying will be dependent on who is coaching Texas next season (unless Mitchell keeps flashing like he did last night).

Yeah now that I look again I have no idea lol. Must have somehow missed him on my quick skims of a couple, my bad.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hiring the friendly, inspirational, but deeply underqualified interim coach as the HC?

There are already pages of discussion when it comes to the merits of hiring Terry. I'm addressing the likelihood of the current commits staying on board. I care much more about who is coaching the team going forward than those guys staying committed. 

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hiring the friendly, inspirational, but deeply underqualified interim coach as the HC?

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

There are already pages of discussion when it comes to the merits of hiring Terry.

This is not to add to those discussions, but I had a general theory about resume when hired pre-Beard and out of curiosity did a W/L comparison back through Penders. My theory is wrong, but I did discover that Terry and Shaka had the same number of wins before becoming HC at Texas, except Shaka did it in 100 less games. And Terry and Penders both only made the tournament once before, but Penders got to a Sweet 16 and Terry was bounced out of the first round. 

It's pretty wild that the expectations of success prior to coming here have ratcheted up so significantly. Historically, we're much more likely to hire a Josh Paster or Mike White than a John Calipari or Sean Miller. 

boring data

Spoiler
Penders        
  W L %  
Tufts 54 18    
Columbia 43 60    
Fordham 125 114    
Rhode Island 48 17   *Sweet 16
  270 209 56%  

Barnes        
  W L %  
George Mason 20 10    
Providence 108 76   *3 1st rd outs
Clemson 74 48   *2 1st rd outs and a Sweet 16
  202 134 60%  
Smart        
  W L %  
VCU 163 56    
  163 56 74%  

Terry        
  W L %  
Fresno State 126 108   *1 1st rd out
UTEP 37 48    
  163 156 51%  

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's pretty wild that the expectations of success prior to coming here have ratcheted up so significantly. Historically, we're much more likely to hire a Josh Paster or Mike White than a John Calipari or Sean Miller. 

Yeah that's the difference between DeLoss and Patterson making our hires and CDC. 

One is an actual AD who hires competent coaches with success at their previous stops, and the other 2 are general boobs who cared more about making the UT money machine go brrrr than on field success.

I think it was Gerry that basically implied that Mitchell probably isn’t staying at Texas given his usage.  He didn’t put right say it but implied he would be shocked if Mitchell was on the Texas roster next year.  

Gerry mentioned that the coach has to show they can get 5 stars to develop and get drafted or the sales pitch gets doesn’t work.  Also mentioned something along the lines of Terry Joseph is basically fighting for a job and isn’t going to rely on freshmen hence the limited playing time.

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think it was Gerry that basically implied that Mitchell probably isn’t staying at Texas given his usage.  He didn’t put right say it but implied he would be shocked if Mitchell was on the Texas roster next year.  

Gerry mentioned that the coach has to show they can get 5 stars to develop and get drafted or the sales pitch gets doesn’t work.  Also mentioned something along the lines of Terry Joseph is basically fighting for a job and isn’t going to rely on freshmen hence the limited playing time.

Terry Joseph needs to spend time with the DBs and not worry about basketball

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Terry Joseph needs to spend time with the DBs and not worry about basketball

Obviously Mitchell is not going to be on the Texas basketball roster next year because Terry Joseph is convincing him to play in our secondary.

Can you imagine how good he would be on 50/50 jump balls?

Edited by Texas Wahoo

https://www.on3.com/news/marcus-adams-jr-down-to-5-schools-syracuse-oregon-ucla-mississippi-state-texas/

2024 power forward Marcus Adams Jr. has narrowed down his recruitment to five schools.

Texas made the cut for Adams, along with Syracuse, Oregon, Mississippi State and UCLA. A decision is expected from Adams within the next month. Some believe Adams may hit the college ranks early and reclassify to the class of 2023.

14 hours ago, victory88 said:

Mitchell's usage is low on the offensive end because he has no offensive game yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Kingston Flemings kid out of SA Brennan can fucking play. They just waxed Stony Point (top 5 team in the state) and San Marcos over the weekend to make state. And he picked up an offer from TCU in the process. 

Had 20 in the first half of that game. Hard to find clips and box scores of this stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's the joke after all the anti-Semitic stuff Kanye did

YE = Kanye

Oh, I am out of the loop on that. 

I just saw Raiders’ colors and thought… 👀

I keep up with Kanye just a smidgen more than he keeps up with me. And that’s because I see headlines referencing him, but I don’t actually read those stories. 👍

• Like 1