Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I, uh, understand the "joke" but am still having a bit of trouble understanding the choice of profile picture...

It’s a profile picture for someone from either west Texas or a DFW suburb who has the IQ of a toilet brush and the cultural sensitivity of a bridge ogre - what’s hard to understand here?

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 3/5/2023 at 12:35 PM, Lonestar88 said:

what is the consensus on holland and johnson?  expected to stick around if terry gets the job, who knows if not?

and the atak kid sounds like a great prospect.  exactly the kind of guy you want to have with the way basketball is played today.

16 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

what is the consensus on holland and johnson?  expected to stick around if terry gets the job, who knows if not?

and the atak kid sounds like a great prospect.  exactly the kind of guy you want to have with the way basketball is played today.

Depends on the hire. If RT sticks around they will too but I think they stick around regardless. Billy Donovan is the name de jour currently 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

That would be an amazing hire. 

Billy Donovan is not going to be the hire.  ON3 mentioned it and Gerry already refuted it and said there's no interest from the Donovan side. I don't think he's going back to college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Depends on the hire. If RT sticks around they will too but I think they stick around regardless. Billy Donovan is the name de jour currently 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Billy Donovan is not going to be the hire.  ON3 mentioned it and Gerry already refuted it and said there's no interest from the Donovan side. I don't think he's going back to college. 

Apparently, Wright, Donovan and Stevens are all not interested. 

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

You were just trying to gather the Night Crew for the pursuit of another former Florida coach, weren't ya?

• Haha 3

I saw an incredible stat the other day re: avg. ppg of freshman v. transfers. Something like ~20% of freshman are averaging double figures compared to~60% of transfers. Those aren't super correct, but the disparity is not exaggerated - it's enormous. 

Whomever the next coach is will need to adapt to the transfer heavy model deployed by Beard. Of course transcendent freshman will always exist in basketball, but roster construction won't be Calipari's Kentucky. I, too, would enjoy a Wright/Donovan/Stevens type. That said, roster construction is fundamentally shifting away from one year rentals and will require skillful portal navigation and drawing on existing college staff relationships. 

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The On3 National basketball guy also said there are several 2024 recruits ready to pull the trigger, waiting to see who the coach is, i.e. Terry is named, they commit.

Sounds like we are being held hostage.

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

Not at all. These kids want to know who their coaches will be if they come to Texas. This is nothing new.

WOW THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

But the way it SOUNDS is "If it's Terry, we commit to you; if it's not, we probably aren't interested anymore"  You don't commit just to a coach, you commit to a school.  Coaches come and go. 

Jesus fuck, I know you ain't stupid.  Or maybe you are.

Edited by Js1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

But the way it SOUNDS is "If it's Terry, we commit to you; if it's not, we probably aren't interested anymore"  You don't commit just to a coach, you commit to a school.  Coaches come and go. 

Critical mass 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like we are being held hostage.

Nope. It sounds more like some of these kids want to play for Texas, and like Terry enough to play for him. It is funny that these high 4-star and 5-star guys feel better about Terry coaching Texas than the majority of the fanbase.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I actually agree. You commit to a school so why are most posters upset that Coach Terry could be our next coach. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nope. It sounds more like some of these kids want to play for Texas, and like Terry enough to play for him. It is funny that these high 4-star and 5-star guys feel better about Terry coaching Texas than the majority of the fanbase.

Maybe thats because the kids are smarter.

I'm curious as to why a HS player who's seen Mitchell and Morris do very little under Terry might think he'd do better as a freshman than they have. I obviously WANT top recruits to sign with us, but what about Terry would give Texas a recruiting edge with those guys? A "relationship," perhaps, or something in his coaching style/team chemistry? It would seem a very different story with potential transfers, as Rice has thrived under Terry despite not getting to start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

These kids are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Giving Terry a multi-year deal because we're afraid of two borderline 5 stars decomitting would be one of the dumbest things an AD has ever done at Texas. Even if it was someone like KD it probably wouldn't be worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I would prefer to keep the 5 stars but somebody like Rice has way more value than both 5 stars on the roster this year. 

As mentioned above, the dynamics of college basketball has changed. The portal is so much more important than high school recruiting. Not to mention, those 5 stars could transfer in a year the way the portal works or be gone to the NBA.  

Any AD making a decision on what 1 or 2 HS recruits will do has a misguided approach to college basketball. The likelihood Texas gets any real "juice worth the squeeze" from 1 or 2 five stars is slim in the context of hiring RT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Giving Terry a multi-year deal because we're afraid of two borderline 5 stars decomitting would be one of the dumbest things an AD has ever done at Texas.

how long a list are we talking here

• Haha 2

It does bring up an interesting discussion about NIL allocation. 

Are these 5 star phenoms really worth the price tag? I wonder what we're paying for Mitchell and Morris this year? Either way, I bet the money Texas is spending on them would have been better spent on another decent transfer. 

This is probably dependent on what the transfer portal looks like moving forward in terms of quality players. I kind of wonder if the real value in high school recruiting is now recruits you know will be at Texas for 3 or 4 years and also recruits you know won't drain from NIL that could be allocated to transfers. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

These kids are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Giving Terry a multi-year deal because we're afraid of two borderline 5 stars decomitting would be one of the dumbest things an AD has ever done at Texas. Even if it was someone like KD it probably wouldn't be worth it. 

Borderline? They are both in the Top 12 of the class. They aren't anywhere near borderline, and it's not just Holland and Johnson it's also several more in the next class. Yes, why would we care about really good players leaving Texas when the next coach might be able to bring in a portal player instead. Oh yeah, Terry was heavily involved in recruiting Rice and getting him to Texas. Gerry has said that Terry had major input in team building and that he and Donewald brought many players to Beard's attention.

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It does bring up an interesting discussion about NIL allocation. 

Are these 5 star phenoms really worth the price tag? I wonder what we're paying for Mitchell and Morris this year? Either way, I bet the money Texas is spending on them would have been better spent on another decent transfer. 

This is probably dependent on what the transfer portal looks like moving forward in terms of quality players. I kind of wonder if the real value in high school recruiting is now recruits you know will be at Texas for 3 or 4 years and also recruits you know won't drain from NIL that could be allocated to transfers. 

Holy shit, you guys are so against Terry that you are convincing yourselves that not signing Top 15 players is actually a good thing.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Borderline? They are both in the Top 12 of the class.

I thought Holland was rated a little lower than he is. Either way it doesn't change the point I was making. Maybe you missed the part where I said even someone like Durant probably wouldn't be worth it. 

AJ Johnson is 18th in the 247 composite. So, yes, he's absolutely a borderline 5. 

Whoever we hire is going to recruit just as well as Terry. Recruiting at Texas isn't an issue for any of the legitimate targets CDC has. We need a great basketball coach. Terry is maybe but almost assuredly not a great D1 HC. Anyone who is legitimately a great coach at this level will have zero issues getting talent. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Borderline? They are both in the Top 12 of the class. They aren't anywhere near borderline, and it's not just Holland and Johnson it's also several more in the next class. Yes, why would we care about really good players leaving Texas when the next coach might be able to bring in a portal player instead. Oh yeah, Terry was heavily involved in recruiting Rice and getting him to Texas. Gerry has said that Terry had major input in team building and that he and Donewald brought many players to Beard's attention.

Holy shit, you guys are so against Terry that you are convincing yourselves that not signing Top 15 players is actually a good thing.

Not really but if Terry's model is prioritizing high school recruits over the portal I would have a problem. I've even said that's why I don't want Cal. 

Also, I'm not worried about "good players leaving Texas." People made the same argument with Shaka and then Beard came in and retooled the roster with great players. You seem to think Terry is the only coach that's going to bring great recruits/portal players to Texas. If Texas hires Wright, Bennett, Donovan, or Lloyd  players will be lining up to play here and let's be real they're much more proven coaches than Terry. 

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The On3 National basketball guy also said there are several 2024 recruits ready to pull the trigger, waiting to see who the coach is, i.e. Terry is named, they commit.

Any chance of Richardson Johnson the 3rd being among those 2024 picks ready to commit? 

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas hires Wright, Bennett, Donovan, or Lloyd  players will be lining up to play here and let's be real they're much more proven coaches than Terry. 

And if your grandma had wheels she’d be a bike.

Half of that list has already expressed no interest in the job. Did we not learn anything from the football search? These big names are far from a guarantee.

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

And if your grandma had wheels she’d be a bike.

Half of that list has already expressed no interest in the job. Did we not learn anything from the football search? These big names are far from a guarantee.

I really don't like this comparison because there was only 1 big name in football (Urban). The football coaching market sucks. 

Now do all the other sports where Texas has hired a big name (Beard, White, Floreal, Schaefer, and so on). 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I really don't like this comparison because there was only 1 big name in football (Urban). The football coaching market sucks. 

Now do all the other sports where Texas has hired a big name (Beard, White, Floreal, Schaefer, and so on). 

Beard was a layup hire, he was a Texas alum stuck in Lubbock. The basketball coaches you named are not a comparable situation.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Beard was a layup hire, he was a Texas alum stuck in Lubbock. The guys you named are not a comparable situation.

White, Floreal, and Schaefer weren't layup hires. 

Hiring a big name in football is difficult because the market sucks. I'll be somewhat surprised if Texas doesn't hire a really good coach in basketball. I certainly don't foresee Texas having any issue hiring a coach that will be able to recruit at Texas. 

You used the 1 anomaly so far under CDC to justify why Texas can't hire a big name. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bro this is NIL and college basketball. High end recruits are trying to get to the league as fast as possible. So yeah it’s coach over school in basketball. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

White, Floreal, and Schaefer weren't layup hires. 

Hiring a big name in football is difficult because the market sucks. I'll be somewhat surprised if Texas doesn't hire a really good coach in basketball. I certainly don't foresee Texas having any issue hiring a coach that will be able to recruit at Texas. 

You used the 1 anomaly so far under CDC to justify why Texas can't hire a big name. 

I’m not justifying anything, I’m just not living in lala land. Thinking we’re gonna get Donovan to leave his NBA gig is stupid.

And if we’re keeping it real, it’s probably easier to money whip coaches in lower revenue sports because not everyone pays big in those places. Football is the better comparison, because like Mens basketball, pretty much all of the big time programs pay out the ass. 

I think CDC will figure it out, and whoever is here next year will do well. I’m just not penciling in one of the 3 or 4 huge names that keep getting floated out there.

Edited by Lonestar88

11 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

And if we’re keeping it real, it’s probably easier to money whip coaches in lower revenue sports because not everyone pays big in those places. Football is the better comparison, because like Mens basketball, pretty much all of the big time programs pay out the ass. 

The reason those non-revenue sports are a better comparison is because there's a bigger pool of quality candidates. 

I don't think football is a good comparison with any sport because the pool of quality candidates is so small. Using football as an example of "Texas missed on big names" is funny because there was only 1 big name (Urban) and he was being pursued by NFL teams. So yes, Texas missed on Urban. Good thing all the other sports have a handful of "big" candidates compared to 1. 

22 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Thinking we’re gonna get Donovan to leave his NBA gig is stupid.

Rumor on the Bulls board is that the extension Donovan signed was only 2 years. So he only has 3 years left on his contract after this season. 

If Donovan has another year like this season he's gonna be gone next year. The Bulls are a dumpster fire. Is another NBA team going to hire him when he's fired because he better start thinking about his future in the NBA? 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Rumor on the Bulls board is that the extension Donovan signed was only 2 years. So he only has 3 years left on his contract after this season. 

If Donovan has another year like this season he's gonna be gone next year. The Bulls are a dumpster fire. Is another NBA team going to hire him when he's fired because he better start thinking about his future in the NBA? 

I don’t know what Donovan’s NBA future is, but I do know that if/whenever it’s over he will be able to get any available college job he wants.

He has no reason to jump at the first big offer now while he’s still an NBA coach. The offers aren’t going anywhere. He can get a Texas caliber job any year it’s available. 

Doing due diligence on Beard means asking "how toxic is he? Let's float it to a reporter and see what (social) media does with the rumor." If it's a really bad response, walk away and say it was just a rumor and not what you were doing. If there's a collective shrug, then "welcome aboard coach!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

While Terry has done an admiral job with this team, he also didn't build it. That quite obviously goes to Beard. I don't trust Terry in the long run to run Texas bball. He's shown he's a great assistant,but a horrible HC (sans his taking over a team built for him). I'd rather Texas go and do its due diligence and find an elite coach rather than rely on Terry. I'd love Donovan, but that's not happening. I don't care about high 4*-5* kids holding us hostage. Those kids are out there every year and can be recruited. He's done nothing with our two 5* kids that signed this past year, which leaves me wondering what the fuck is going on? Thank you, Beard, for bringing on Rice, and hanging on to Carr and Disu. 

Those in the know, what are our options?