Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

I'm just saying they say Disu is a cerebral kid, or nerd.  I think you put another 20-25 on his frame, and you can stay healthy as a Longhorn one more year, he will eclipse his lifetime "Turkey Earnings" in about 5 minutes if he does come back.  I just think he is a kid quite frankly still growing into his frame.  He had a massive high school growth spurt and another year in the weight room, and playing with what I hope will be another solid Longhorn team will both put him into the NBA, and improve his overall career earnings on the court. And likely off the court as I think he is a "project" NBA player through the eyes of a lot of teams.  I could be wrong.

I do think at 6'9" and 245-250 with his touch he would be one bad mofo who would command a nice NBA check and not be a project.  He's likely gonna cash whatever check he can. Conversely he hurt his knee before so he might jump for any certain paycheck.  But I think he in particular because of his late growth spurt might reap some big rewards from another year.  I guess I could also say... think of all the incoming Freshmen girls!. 😉

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said this run is going to lead to really big results on the trail.

Can’t think of anything that wouldn’t give RT instant credibility amongst the fan base and potential transfers, besides a national championship, than being named head coach next month and immediately landing some key big name 2024 guys in the few days after. And Holland/Johnson reaffirming their commitments to Texas. 

Immediate boner 

The main thing, is Terry has a record of being a very good recruiting when representing The University of Texas.  The deep run shows the guy can coach. He created among his players the best TEAM I think any of have ever seen at Texas.  Hell because of the team first mentality we damn near made the Final Four with one of our best players and leading scorers on the bench.  Interestingly enough, I think that Terry's knowledge of team building is likely his best attribute, when it comes to recruiting.  Simply as the truth is some talented kids are fucking team cancers.  

I would give almost anything for Disu to come back, as I think of what a beast he could potentially be next season.  He's got the skills, but he would be very, very, very difficult for all but the best in the Nation to defend if he came back and was playing at 6'9" and closer to 240-245 (I decided 250 was 5 lbs too many).  Durant was 6'10" and 240 lbs out of high school apparently, so a little size might go a long way on Disu, and help him be ready better physically for the NBA, (dreams, hopes and prayers here) IF I were Terry I would treat Disu like Mack Brown did Ricky Williams. #1 recruit on the list!  Get him and If we can hold onto what else we have, and bring in some transfer portal talent... sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttttt,...     we will be looking pretty.

I guess one of the best things about the portal for Texas fans is we are gonna see what sort of juice RT is gonna be able to squeeze pretty quickly.  I guess in my mind the most interesting things will be if Terry and Beard are going head to head on a transfer. You gotta give the edge to RT right?

Anyhow we still seem to be always looking for a holy grail center.  Imagine if one day we truly had one of those to play with in our lineup mix?  Good things on the horizon!

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How much do second round or undrafted players make at the next level? Couldn't he potentially make more money returning to college with NIL?

Disu would be betting on himself if he declared. He should go through the process to get feedback. I suspect Hunter, Mitchell, and Morris to do it as well.

Disu is a 6'9 center that's not that athletic, injury prone, and foul prone. I love him but he doesn't have a shot in hell at the NBA so unless he's really raring to play in the gleague or Europe I'd imagine he stays. 

In other news we could finally circle back here /s

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Anyhow we still seem to be always looking for a holy grail center.

We had a recent run of highly rated giants who got us nowhere playing for a poor coach. I hope RT can bring in a similar level of interior talent, starting with the retention of Mitchell. 

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

The main thing, is Terry has a record of being a very good recruiting when representing The University of Texas.  The deep run shows the guy can coach. He created among his players the best TEAM I think any of have ever seen at Texas.  Hell because of the team first mentality we damn near made the Final Four with one of our best players and leading scorers on the bench.  Interestingly enough, I think that Terry's knowledge of team building is likely his best attribute, when it comes to recruiting.  Simply as the truth is some talented kids are fucking team cancers.  

I would give almost anything for Disu to come back, as I think of what a beast he could potentially be next season.  He's got the skills, but he would be very, very, very difficult for all but the best in the Nation to defend if he came back and was playing at 6'9" and closer to 240-245 (I decided 250 was 5 lbs too many).  Durant was 6'10" and 240 lbs out of high school apparently, so a little size might go a long way on Disu, and help him be ready better physically for the NBA, (dreams, hopes and prayers here) IF I were Terry I would treat Disu like Mack Brown did Ricky Williams. #1 recruit on the list!  Get him and If we can hold onto what else we have, and bring in some transfer portal talent... sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttttt,...     we will be looking pretty.

I guess one of the best things about the portal for Texas fans is we are gonna see what sort of juice RT is gonna be able to squeeze pretty quickly.  I guess in my mind the most interesting things will be if Terry and Beard are going head to head on a transfer. You gotta give the edge to RT right?

Anyhow we still seem to be always looking for a holy grail center.  Imagine if one day we truly had one of those to play with in our lineup mix?  Good things on the horizon!

KD was 200 lbs soaking wet coming out of HS, it was the only question mark about his game. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said that Texas would pursue SS Seth Lundy should he enter the portal. Perfect wing for what Texas wants to do both offensively and defensively.

I was impressed with him in the R32 game.  He had 11 and 7 in 34 minutes. 40% BTA for the season and 81% FT shooter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only question I have about Disu and NIL, would the money be there for a guy that can't stay healthy. This is going on 3 straight seasons where his health has been a major issue. At some point, the NIL guys will want to see a positive ROI, and Disu can't deliver it right now.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

The only question I have about Disu and NIL, would the money be there for a guy that can't stay healthy. This is going on 3 straight seasons where his health has been a major issue. At some point, the NIL guys will want to see a positive ROI, and Disu can't deliver it right now.

There is no "positive ROI" for non-corporate NIL, unless you're being metaphorical. 

The basketball program has had benefactors since the early part of the Barnes era. I assumed this was known. It's the one area in which Texas has been meaningfully competing since long before "NIL". That isn't changing in this era. If they want a guy, the basketball program is far and away the best equipped to get the guy. Never mind the infrastructure and willingness, which exist, but there's also significant corporate interest. 

The easiest sport on campus for significant NIL weaponization is in men's basketball because of the combo of: small roster, significant booster interest, real corporate value due to physical visibility of the players (not helmets or caps), pre-existing "know-how", and Nike. The other one is golf for the same reasons. There's less overall interest in some of the other smaller roster sports, so basketball trumps them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bird in the hand vs two in the bush. Take guaranteed money in a comfortable environment and gain additional experience, hopefully, improve your stock and maybe even get a masters (Just guessing on the education) or go to somewhere overseas in an uncomfortable environment where the exact same amount of injury risk could occur. IMO the choice is obvious for Disu to stay, even if the money isnt even.

The "NIL guys" do want a positive ROI...in the community as a non profit and Disu is arguably the biggest basketball name remaining on the team. Otherwise positive ROI isnt a thing unless you are raising canes or building your own mustard brand

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bird in the hand vs two in the bush. Take guaranteed money in a comfortable environment and gain additional experience, hopefully, improve your stock and maybe even get a masters (Just guessing on the education) or go to somewhere overseas in an uncomfortable environment where the exact same amount of injury risk could occur. IMO the choice is obvious for Disu to stay, even if the money isnt even.

The "NIL guys" do want a positive ROI...in the community as a non profit and Disu is arguably the biggest basketball name remaining on the team. Otherwise positive ROI isnt a thing unless you are raising canes or building your own mustard brand

Likely a poor choice of words, but I look at the ROI the Miami NIL guys got. It was out of the park, which means they are going to give more. If Texas did pay Disu, and he got injured again at a critical juncture of the season, it could be a full me twice scenario. I hope he returns, he is a huge weapon to have when you need a bucket. I don't think Texas goes cold during that stretch when Miami took the lead with Disu going Flotation Station. But injuries to Disu, Carr, and Rice killed us in that last part of the game.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Likely a poor choice of words, but I look at the ROI the Miami NIL guys got. It was out of the park, which means they are going to give more. If Texas did pay Disu, and he got injured again at a critical juncture of the season, it could be a full me twice scenario. I hope he returns, he is a huge weapon to have when you need a bucket. I don't think Texas goes cold during that stretch when Miami took the lead with Disu going Flotation Station. But injuries to Disu, Carr, and Rice killed us in that last part of the game.

You just dont stumble into that type of talent in the portal that often. Miami got super lucky with their dudes and if you tell me we bring back Disu, he helps the community with his NIL and we have success in basketball is just the icing on top

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1