Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

The first few weeks after the Terry hire had so many negative moments, it became obvious there was something not right, and that people were spewing positive bullshit about Terry before the hire. It’s looking like they’ve may have made a mistake in hiring Terry. 

Edited by Dbeasy

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Recruits decommit after a coaching change, I get that, but I don’t understand the timing at all. He waited really late.

He waited late and was very supportive before the hire.   Wondering if he tried to shake our donors down for a stupid amount of NIL $$$ in a last minute retrade.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The waiting until this late is the most frustrating part of all of it. 

Yep. Fuck both of them. They had months to do it, or could have done it a month ago when RT was named. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Hasn't he signed a Letter of Intent? 

There was a coaching change. That pretty much is automatically a reason to let him out of it. Texas would get shit blasted if they didn’t. 

They also offered them the chance months ago and neither wanted to get out of their NLI. They both waited until the last minute 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There was a coaching change. That pretty much is automatically a reason to let him out of it. Texas would get shit blasted if they didn’t. 

They also offered them the chance months ago and neither wanted to get out of their NLI. They both waited until the last minute 

Normally, I would agree. Except he's been very public about his support for RT, so I think even the public should think it odd if he used that as the reason.

Granted, I don't think there's any way Texas doesn't let him out of the NLI. But as much as I'm for more rights to the players and them being able to explore their free market worth...I feel like this would be a massive swing of the pendulum. Can you imagine if an NBA player signed a free agent contract that they negotiated and approved, then months later before training camp starts said, "jk never mind, just cancel my contract, I'm back on the market"? That just doesn't happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

On the bright side freshmen 5 star recruits are pretty fucking useless in this era of college basketball. 

11 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Meh, College BB has turned into a competition where you better be experienced. 

You’re both right, but I thought Holland could be the rare freshman that still makes an impact.

3 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Normally, I would agree. Except he's been very public about his support for RT, so I think even the public should think it odd if he used that as the reason.

Granted, I don't think there's any way Texas doesn't let him out of the NLI. But as much as I'm for more rights to the players and them being able to explore their free market worth...I feel like this would be a massive swing of the pendulum. Can you imagine if an NBA player signed a free agent contract that they negotiated and approved, then months later before training camp starts said, "jk never mind, just cancel my contract, I'm back on the market"? That just doesn't happen.

People don’t want to do it, but the sport would be better off if the kids just got paid directly. Then you could treat it like pro sports and have enforceable contracts. NIL is truly the Wild West.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

On the bright side freshmen 5 star recruits are pretty fucking useless in this era of college basketball. 

Yeah, we’ll be better next year if we use the money we had earmarked for Holland on a transfer. 5 star freshman rarely help their teams win that much. 

• Hook 'Em 3

when did Holland give an ultimatum?  Also if so, I doubt that was the reason why RT was hired.. every reporter and 90% of UT twitter were @ CDC to hire him all year long when the team was doing well..

Hell even the national reporters got into it late as well, especially after the KU blowout win.

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Probably not, but not because of this

He's probably here for a good three seasons 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Disu is a big get because he's great in pick and roll which is what Abmas is also really good at. 

The biggest selling point for Abmas should be Disu. Just go put on film of Carr and Disu in pick and roll during the Big 12 and NCAA tournament. Abmas was able to get Oral Roberts to a Sweet 16 with a decent pick and roll big in Obanor. Disu is much better than Obanor. 

Abmas isn't going to find a better pick and roll pairing than Disu. 

7jwa5l.jpg

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Holland can shoot and handle the ball, so he was likely going to have a much bigger impact than Mitchell had for us this year.  But, yes, the odds are that a top tier transfer player would be more impactful than Holland.  It might be a little presumptuous to just assume we can get another top tier level transfer who fills the tall wing position, though. 

The bigger issue is that it's extremely shitty for the two recruits to make ultimatums about hiring Terry or else they decommit, and then they decommit at the end of April anyway when it fucks us even more.  And doing it after Terry went to the Elite Eight and had already been made permanent head coach for a month.  Those guys are basically just being assholes, and we should not respect their decisions.

I've also thought from the beginning that the current system is really stupid now, and they need to just let the schools employ players directly.  I assume donors are going to be the ones who demand it at some point so there will actually be enforceable contracts.  Maybe the shady characters who have been passing bags under the table all these years just consider it a cost of doing business if someone takes the money and screws you over anyway, but the by-the-book donors and corporate sponsors who NIL is supposed to bring into the fold are going to throw their hands up with a collective "WTF!" after they get burned with stuff like this. 

We have been on both ends of it - getting the raw deal here, and being the beneficiary of Quinn Ewers taking Ohio State's NIL package and then leaving before semester end.  But it's not sustainable.  It's hard enough to get donors to finance college athletes to begin with, much less when they realize the kid can take their money and go elsewhere the next day with no repercussions.  The truth is they are paying the kids to play for their school, and they want that return consideration to actually take place.

I don't say this lightly but I'd honestly tell Holland tough shit on his NLI release. This sets a terrible precedence. It'd be different if he did it a month ago with the coaching change but this feels like a simple money grab flip. Impossible to manage a roster with people bailing this late

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't say this lightly but I'd honestly tell Holland tough shit on his NLI release. This sets a terrible precedence. It'd be different if he did it a month ago with the coaching change but this feels like a simple money grab flip. Impossible to manage a roster with people bailing this late

You should pause to consider the long term implications of doing that. It would sink us with every other high profile recruit we’d approach going forward. It’s untenable.

We’ve been in the era of player entitlement for awhile now. You just have to grit your teeth, accept it, and move on.

This is a stupid metaphor because the NBA has a specifically tailored collective bargaining agreement and players are signing employment contracts. College basically has no rules

6 minutes ago, RichUT said:

You should pause to consider the long term implications of doing that. It would sink us with every other high profile recruit we’d approach going forward. It’s untenable.

We’ve been in the era of player entitlement for awhile now. You just have to grit your teeth, accept it, and move on.

Why would that sink us? The guy signed his NLI. UT would still be fulfilling everything they promised. There has to be a cutoff point where guys realize their decision is done. It can be the NLI or it can be move-in day. It has always been the NLI and should stay that way.

If he wants to use his one transfer thats his right. But make him use that so the next guy doesnt keep negotiating and bail right before move-in day too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Why would that sink us? The guy signed his NLI. UT would still be fulfilling everything they promised. There has to be a cutoff point where guys realize their decision is done. It can be the NLI or it can be move-in day. It has always been the NLI and should stay that way.

If he wants to use his one transfer thats his right. But make him use that so the next guy doesnt keep negotiating and bail right before move-in day too. 

Dude are you serious right now.

17 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

What is NLI?

On 4/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, RichUT said:

You should pause to consider the long term implications of doing that. It would sink us with every other high profile recruit we’d approach going forward.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Way more often than not, these prima donna top-10 recruits are more trouble than they are worth during their one year rental.  And if anyone disagrees, go ahead and a bunch of top-10 freshman who have made an impact in March in the last 5 years.  And then I will list you 3X as many who didn't do anything.

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Way more often than not, these prima donna top-10 recruits are more trouble than they are worth during their one year rental.  And if anyone disagrees, go ahead and a bunch of top-10 freshman who have made an impact in March in the last 5 years.  And then I will list you 3X as many who didn't do anything.

This is clearly a copy-pasted TexAgs post. Good bull.

• Hook 'Em 2