Predict the last 10 games of the season and NCAA seed

Wulaw Horn

5 Home/ 5 Road.  7 out of the 10 are against teams ranked in the top 15.  

Baylor, @Kstate, @ KU, WVU, @ Tech, Oklahoma, ISU, @ Baylor, @ TCU, KU.

I've got us going 4-6.  WIns against WVU, TTU Oklahoma and ISU.  That means I have us losing 4 in a row (counting the Tenn loss), before winning 4 in a row, before dropping 3 in a row to end the year.  That would be a record of 20-10 headed into the big 12 tournament (10-8 in conference).  That puts us at a 5 seed unless we lose in the first round or win the conference, which could move us down a line or up a line.  

First chance to be wrong is tonight with Baylor at home.  This is the key to us finishing 5-5 IMO. if we don't win this I see no way we get to break even for our last 10. 

10-0! #1!

Ok seriously I don't really know. I will do an unjustifiably optimistic take and go with 6-4. #3 seed. However I go one game at a time in the Big 12 season for my sanity. Beat Baylor, worry about the buzzsaw ahead later.

Also I think you will find that if we go 4-6 the record will be 21-10.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

10-0! #1!

Ok seriously I don't really know. I will do an unjustifiably optimistic take and go with 6-4. #3 seed. However I go one game at a time in the Big 12 season for my sanity. Beat Baylor, worry about the buzzsaw ahead later.

Also I think you will find that if we go 4-6 the record will be 21-10.

If we go 6-4 that puts us at 12-6 in this meat grinder of a conference. I'd actually be pretty disappointed with a 3 seed if it played out that way. I see that as our highest upside potential. I'd be thrilled with a 6-4 finishing kick.  

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

4-6 or 5-5. Can’t decide. 

You are 1 more optimistic than me. I was toggling between 3-7 and 4-6. 

• Like 1

vs. baylor - w

@ kansas state - l

@ kansas - l

vs. west virginia - w

@ tech - l

vs. blowu - w

vs. iowa state - w

@ baylor - l

@ tcu - w

kansas - w

it's optimistic imo, but i think we can win out at home and steal one on the road.  that puts us at a 6-4 finish, 12-6 in conference and 23-8 overall.  lets call that a low 3 or strong 4 seed.

Edited by BigOrange1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

vs. baylor - w

@ kansas state - l

@ kansas - l

vs. west virginia - w

@ tech - l

vs. blowu - w

vs. iowa state - w

@ baylor - l

@ tcu - w

kansas - w

it's optimistic imo, but i think we can win out at home and steal one on the road.  that puts us at a 6-4 finish, 12-6 in conference and 23-8 overall.  lets call that a low 3 or strong 4 seed.

12-6 in conference - and I agree with you - is better than a 4 seed. One of the strongest 3s or a lower 2 seed and the latter is more likely. 

I think we finish 13-5. Get K St in a revenge game. Split with Kansas. Lose in Waco. Lose one more out of the rest. 

This team is getting better by my eye. That isn't always a linear process but I think they are figuring out how to play to their potential as a team a little bit more every game.

I'm not sold on this team's ability to make a deep run in March but I legitimately think they can take at least a share of the B12 this season. 

Yeah, I get the feeling we split our KU weekend bender. People think this KU team is elite, it's not. We can split with them easily. I'm not worried about TCU without Miles. After watching the BU game, I think we can beat them again in Waco. 

I think we can easily finish 6-3 in the remaining 9 conference games. That puts us at 13-5 and probably no worse than a tie for 1st.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:36 PM, ztejas said:

I think we finish 13-5. Get K St in a revenge game. Split with Kansas. Lose in Waco. Lose one more out of the rest. 

This team is getting better by my eye. That isn't always a linear process but I think they are figuring out how to play to their potential as a team a little bit more every game.

I'm not sold on this team's ability to make a deep run in March but I legitimately think they can take at least a share of the B12 this season. 

Agreed. The team’s ability to make a deep run will be predicated on Hunter being a more efficient scorer, and a playmaker when his shot isn’t working. Regardless this team doesn’t wilt, so with a 2-4 seed, I doubt we lose a first round game. Second round will all depend on matchup and Hunter. 

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I'm thinking 6-4 now that we already have the Baylor win.  8 loss regular season and 12-6 in the Big 12 would probably get a 2 seed.

What I’m thinking. 

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

New bracket has us as a 2, Tenn as a 1 and Shaka as a 3. I’d have an orgasm if that was our draw. 

I don’t know if it’s weirder you posted that or if I immediately pictured you, Derka and BWG in a big ol circle jerk. 

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think we might have been a bit pessimistic. Great week for texas man. 

I had 7-3 and thought we'd win today. 

I did not think we'd win today watching the first half. 

But the team that came back and won is the team that I thought could win 7 of the next 10. 

So, who knows? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But the team that came back and won is the team that I thought could win 7 of the next 10. 

So, who knows? 

You’ve def been the most optimistic and we love you for that 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

So, who knows? 

You didn’t call 7-3 directly so I guess it didn’t register when you threw out the final record but obviously the math checks out. It just didn’t hit my radar. 
you have definitely been leading the bandwagon and you’ve been right. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You didn’t call 7-3 directly so I guess it didn’t register when you threw out the final record but obviously the math checks out. It just didn’t hit my radar. 
you have definitely been leading the bandwagon and you’ve been right. 

I guess it was 6-3 that I predicted down the stretch since we had already won the Baylor game when I commented. 

But I said a few games ago that we could win the B12 and that 14-4 will likely win the conference (and it's now basically a guarantee that 14 wins would do it).

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

does 4-4 get us the reg season conference title?   If so, does that get us a 1 seed?

I think the number will be 13 but it's entirely possible that 12 wins gets a share this year. There doesn't seem to be much separation between the top 5 teams and everyone but us already has 3+ losses. 

I would be stunned if 13 wins doesn't earn a share and I think the only reason it wouldn't is if Texas goes 6-2 down the stretch here. 

You would think the B12 gets a #1 seed but it's possible we wind up with a bunch of 2-5 seeds instead. Texas is the highest B12 kenpom team at 9th and will be the highest B12 NET team at 7 or 8 maybe when they update the rankings. It's possible they give the B12 a 1 seed out of principle but it's also possible that the B12 doesn't actually have a top 4 team.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I guess it was 6-3 that I predicted down the stretch since we had already won the Baylor game when I commented. 

But I said a few games ago that we could win the B12 and that 14-4 will likely win the conference (and it's now basically a guarantee that 14 wins would do it).

I think the number will be 13 but it's entirely possible that 12 wins gets a share this year. There doesn't seem to be much separation between the top 5 teams and everyone but us already has 3+ losses. 

I would be stunned if 13 wins doesn't earn a share and I think the only reason it wouldn't is if Texas goes 6-2 down the stretch here. 

You would think the B12 gets a #1 seed but it's possible we wind up with a bunch of 2-5 seeds instead. Texas is the highest B12 kenpom team at 9th and will be the highest B12 NET team at 7 or 8 maybe when they update the rankings. It's possible they give the B12 a 1 seed out of principle but it's also possible that the B12 doesn't actually have a top 4 team.

I’d the same big 12 team wins the regular season and conference they can’t not give it to them in my mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

W, W, L, W, L, W, W, TBD, TBD, TBD

5-2 so far

A lot of people (myself included) said 4-6 (or worse).  So the 5-5 or better people should be feeling pretty good

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

W, W, L, W, L, W, W, TBD, TBD, TBD

5-2 so far

A lot of people (myself included) said 4-6 (or worse).  So the 5-5 or better people should be feeling pretty good

I mean- yeah- it’s gone a lot better so far than I expected but we are probably underdog in all the last 3 games, right?  Or will we be a slight favorites at TCU or Kansas at home?  
I’d expect 1-2, 2-1 is a very real possibility, be a bit bummed but not dependent at 0-3. 3-0 and I couldn’t be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewed to the carpet. 
Even if it’s 5-5 that’s a legit end to the season with as difficult as that schedule was. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- yeah- it’s gone a lot better so far than I expected but we are probably underdog in all the last 3 games, right?  Or will we be a slight favorites at TCU or Kansas at home?  

KU would be the only game we are favored in and it will depend on how each of us plays the next 2 games. 

Baylor and TCU will still be tight spreads. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If we keep steady (2-1 in the final 3) then not lose to a scrub in the 1st game of the conference tournament, I think we could safely be a 2 seed. If we go 1-2, I think we move down a seed.

2-1 should have us locked into a 2 seed regardless of what happens in the conference tournament unless some wild stuff happens with the teams behind us. Would put us at 11 Q1 wins which will likely be 2nd or 3rd in the country.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 2/23/2023 at 6:08 AM, shadow_operative said:

7-1 to this point. sticking with my picks for the final three. seems like KU should win the league, with the BU vs Texas game deciding who's second. 

7-2*

On 1/30/2023 at 11:36 PM, ztejas said:

I'm sticking to this. L, W, W down the stretch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 8:33 PM, Porterhouse said:

12-6 in conference - and I agree with you - is better than a 4 seed. One of the strongest 3s or a lower 2 seed and the latter is more likely. 

I’m going to be proven correct. I’m extending my hand and patting myself on the back.