TexMex

Smax

who you got

Original Ninfas is hard to beat when they are on point plus that green sauce

Teotihuacan, eaten at the on on airline a few times, its really good but for whatever reason I always forget about it when we are deciding where to eat

I have a soft spot for molinas, better places for sure but went here as a kid with parents many times

I live in the Bloody Nickel so we go to Ninfa's on Nav quite a bit because its so close. The last three times were downright disappointing. To the point that I may not go back for a while. There are so many good spots now that it just doesn't make sense to keep giving them chances to disappoint. Hell, Merida right across the street is consistently good and half the price of NoN.

El Tiempo on Montrose is the tits

El Real is solid

El Patio/Club No Minor, especially off the Felix menu

Spanish Village

On 6/25/2018 at 4:22 PM, ChampKind said:

I live in the Bloody Nickel so we go to Ninfa's on Nav quite a bit because its so close. The last three times were downright disappointing. To the point that I may not go back for a while. There are so many good spots now that it just doesn't make sense to keep giving them chances to disappoint. Hell, Merida right across the street is consistently good and half the price of NoN.

Ninfas got that way about ten years ago after the family sold it and only improved when El Tiempo opened across the street from them.  I was always my favorite place and eventually got to where I went once every four or five months.  

ninfa's on nav has been solid for post ballgame dinners the last couple times i've been.  we've only gotten fajitas, though. 

really like el real's fajitas but not much else there.  when i get enchiladas i feel like they're too fancy (same problem with el tiempo).  i should probably get the puffy tacos next time. 

been eating a lot of tapatia on richmond lately.  not quite the bargain los dos amigos was, but the food is similar. 

i'm usually just a little bit disappointed in teotihuacan when i go.  and i don't really know why. 

did i mention fuck mini storage lately?  fuck mini storage.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

I.Dont.Get.The.Love.For.El.Tiempo.

Their drinks/margaritas are trash. Their food is completely average. Their menu is expensive for mediocre Tex Mex. Give me El Real any day over the week over El Tiempo. Better and cheaper

Then you'll be happy to know the El Tiempo on Montrose is officially outta there on 7/31. More apartments!

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/07/18/el-tiempo-s-longtime-montrose-restaurant-to-close.html

I never see much love for the original Irma’s. I know it’s kind of a weird setup with no menu and not your typical Tex mex restaurant, but damn if I didn’t really like everything i had when i went. I think it was fajitas, but don’t really remember because their margs are pretty strong, especially when served by the pitcher. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had lunch at Irma’s Original in downtown. Irma’s son seems like a dick. No menu so he tells me the lunch specials, I went with fajitas. Food comes out fajitas and a side of rice is on the plate, shitty store bought corn tortillas. Had enough meat to make 3 tacos. Fajitas and tea $25 before tip. I don’t mind paying for good food and service, this place had neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stros said:

Just had lunch at Irma’s Original in downtown. Irma’s son seems like a dick. No menu so he tells me the lunch specials, I went with fajitas. Food comes out fajitas and a side of rice is on the plate, shitty store bought corn tortillas. Had enough meat to make 3 tacos. Fajitas and tea $25 before tip. I don’t mind paying for good food and service, this place had neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s always been extremely overpriced and overrated. Go to the last concert instead. Better food and the people aren’t dicks. 

Edited by pepper brooks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had lunch at Lupe Tortillas on I-10 at Echo a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty damned good. I had only ever been to the original near 10 and 6 and even that had been a  decade or so ago. I  ordered the plato tipico with tamal, cheez enchi, taco, r & b.

Everything was good, but the frijoles refritos were outstanding.

After 3 trips now, I've become a big fan of Superica in the Heights. Food is well above average and the prices are reasonable for the portion sizes. 

Wife and I went a few nights ago. 2 beers for me, margarita for her, and and order of deluxe fajitas (beef, chicken, bacon-wrapped shrimp). Bill was only $50, and despite splitting the fajitas, we still had enough left over for me to make lunch the next day.

50 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

After 3 trips now, I've become a big fan of Superica in the Heights. Food is well above average and the prices are reasonable for the portion sizes. 

Wife and I went a few nights ago. 2 beers for me, margarita for her, and and order of deluxe fajitas (beef, chicken, bacon-wrapped shrimp). Bill was only $50, and despite splitting the fajitas, we still had enough left over for me to make lunch the next day.

Great to hear. Live 8 blocks from there so i guess this hits close to home?