TexMex

Smax

On 5/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

So I was over at my folk’s house today. Wanted to try Ta Bueno, but it was closed. My younger brother had heard good things about the Taco King trailer at the chevron on the corner of Grant and Spring Cypress. 
damn, excellent tacos. Will definitely go back. However, they are very small. If you are really hungry, definitely get 6 tacos. 

I got al pastor and the campechanos. The orange salsa was spicy and delicious. Gave us some nopalitos (grilled with tajin type mix), onions and cilantro. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65ddc22c2a26414e0385773dbd90589f.jpeg

Swayze you must be close to me based on your posting history. Our local family joint is Rudy’s cantina on Grant.

Their food is pretty good, but nothing really standout other than their chicken tortilla soup. (I get it, it’s not sexy like fajitas, but their spicy version is badass and does well even with takeout) highly suggest you give that a shot at some point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess this is the TexMex/Mex/taco catch all thread now.

Taco Fuego on Silber does some solid quesabirria. Been a few times and very consistent. Lemonade is a good choice too.

But I still think the guy that used to post up at the Home Depot on 610 was better.

I live walking distance to this Taco Fuego so have been many times.  They are the the 2022 UT football team of restaurants on Silber.  

I've had very delicious tacos there but I've also had items that I didn't finish because they are so blah.  I don't understand.  I'm desperate for them to gain consistency.  Nearby pollo loco is a consistent 6 but TF has been a 9 and a 3 various times.

I did like their quesabirria though the one time I've had it.

I live walking distance to this Taco Fuego so have been many times.  They are the the 2022 UT football team of restaurants on Silber.  
I've had very delicious tacos there but I've also had items that I didn't finish because they are so blah.  I don't understand.  I'm desperate for them to gain consistency.  Nearby pollo loco is a consistent 6 but TF has been a 9 and a 3 various times.

Hmmm. I have been three times and have only eaten the quesabirria, which was very good each time. Maybe I’ll get adventurous and try something different.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

29 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmmm. I have been three times and have only eaten the quesabirria, which was very good each time. Maybe I’ll get adventurous and try something different.

I had lunch there today.  Had two birria de res and the Texan.  Both were good, as was the cantaloupe juice.

The line moved slow due to the chica ordering when I got there took 10 minutes to discuss the entire menu with the order taker at the register; nevermind the giant menu board on the wall and the hand held menus. She wanted to know what was on each taco even though a picture of each taco was shown as was a list of the ingredients.   After agonizing over each offering she ordered one taco and then proceeded to pull the wrong debit or credit card out at least 3 times until she found one that would work.

The guy in front of me (equally annoyed) bellied up to order and she butted in to start asking more questions about the food and how much she was charged for her taco.  

A day in the life of deadshank.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had lunch there today.  Had two birria de res and the Texan.  Both were good, as was the cantaloupe juice.
The line moved slow due to the chica ordering when I got there took 10 minutes to discuss the entire menu with the order taker at the register; nevermind the giant menu board on the wall and the hand held menus. She wanted to know what was on each taco even though a picture of each taco was shown as was a list of the ingredients.   After agonizing over each offering she ordered one taco and then proceeded to pull the wrong debit or credit card out at least 3 times until she found one that would work.
The guy in front of me (equally annoyed) bellied up to order and she butted in to start asking more questions about the food and how much she was charged for her taco.  
A day in the life of deadshank.

Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what’s good here?

Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhbbhhhh let me try that queso beer taco.
  • Rage+1 1

My worst experience so far has been showing up at 11:00 am and ordering 3 tacos.  I sit in tables rt in front of registers.  Not one other human being besides staff and I the entire time and cashier sits there entire time im waiting without saying a word to me.

31 minutes later--yes i know down to minute becaus my phone lets me know when credit card was swiped-- I get my tacos.   Again, not one customer has walked in entire time and cashier hasnt moved.

I wait to complain because I know what happens in the kitchen sometimes to the food of people who complain.   I said "That was a really really long time.  Will it always take this long for three tacos?".  Cashier with fake blonde hair said "no."  That was it.  No apologies.  No explanation.  Nada.  Just "no."

I respected him for directly answering my question.  

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

is tamashi good ?

3 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

My worst experience so far has been showing up at 11:00 am and ordering 3 tacos.  I sit in tables rt in front of registers.  Not one other human being besides staff and I the entire time and cashier sits there entire time im waiting without saying a word to me.

31 minutes later--yes i know down to minute becaus my phone lets me know when credit card was swiped-- I get my tacos.   Again, not one customer has walked in entire time and cashier hasnt moved.

I wait to complain because I know what happens in the kitchen sometimes to the food of people who complain.   I said "That was a really really long time.  Will it always take this long for three tacos?".  Cashier with fake blonde hair said "no."  That was it.  No apologies.  No explanation.  Nada.  Just "no."

I respected him for directly answering my question.  

When was the last time you ate there?  The three times I have ate there it has never taken more than 10 minutes for my food to get to my table.  (I am mostly joking) I order in Spanish, so maybe that makes a difference (I look white-ish)?

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

When was the last time you ate there?  The three times I have ate there it has never taken more than 10 minutes for my food to get to my table.  (I am mostly joking) I order in Spanish, so maybe that makes a difference (I look white-ish)?

I've been probably 6-7 times over the last couple months and as recently as a week ago.  It's just been hit or miss.  

I love having a restaurant like that so close so I'm rooting for it to stabilize.  Wish they had soda machine too.

I've been probably 6-7 times over the last couple months and as recently as a week ago.  It's just been hit or miss.  
I love having a restaurant like that so close so I'm rooting for it to stabilize.  Wish they had soda machine too.

No doubt.

The first time I ate there I wanted a refill of lemonade. The dude reluctantly gave it to me. Come one my dude, I get it, it’s a taqueria, but we are in Texas. Free motherfucking refills por vida Holmes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Hornbeliever I get what you’re saying about the blond Hispanic guy at the register.  Absolutely zero personality Easter island statue.   I’d hate to play Texas hold ‘em against that guy.  

The service is slow.   One register was down but they did have a soda machine; however, seemed non-operable or possibly radioactive since nobody approached it.   

The food is good but they need to get everything  moving in the same direction.  There was quite a crowd and way too many people standing in line and to the point of discomfort.  It’s not good when you are sitting at a table eating while someone waiting in line has the rear end bumping your table right next to your food.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess this question is Tex Mex adjacent. 

Chula's Memorial, RIP, had the best lemon pepper wings in Houston. I need a replacement as Ojos Locos deeply sucks. Roostar has excellent wings, but it's not a bar. 

The first person that says Buffalo Wild Wings gets punched. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Chula's Memorial, RIP, had the best lemon pepper wings in Houston. I need a replacement as Ojos Locos deeply sucks. Roostar has excellent wings, but it's not a bar. 

Houston Hot wings at FM bar, best wings in Houston 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Lemon Pepper wings at LA Crawfish are pretty solid.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:

is tamashi good ?

tamashi has honest ramen prices which i'm going to appreciate when i finally run out of turkey gumbo (nearly 4 quarts left to go)

haven't been to el jardin in ages.  i remember the mixed grill tower being pretty great. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Tell me you haven't been to The Woodlands lately without telling me you haven't been to The Woodlands lately. 

I haven't been to the woodlands lately without telling you I haven't been to the woodlands lately.

Now what?

Well if you had been to The Woodlands lately, you would know that there are more Mexicans here now than there are left in Mexico.  But these are the ones that have paid cash for their million dollar homes, so some here may still consider them white.  I'm surrounded by families from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Columbia.  The demographics here are changing quickly and nobody I know minds that.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Well if you had been to The Woodlands lately, you would know that there are more Mexicans here now than there are left in Mexico.  But these are the ones that have paid cash for their million dollar homes, so some here may still consider them white.  I'm surrounded by families from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Columbia.  The demographics here are changing quickly and nobody I know minds that.

https://media.tenor.com/CSxs4BL_p_UAAAAM/sofia-vergara-holding-a-knife.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Juarez on Gessner, three cheese enchilada plate. Ask for the habanero salsa but be careful, it packs a punch 

CAD01642-8D04-40C6-B192-D8477C9C984C.jpeg

I've only been there once.  It was over 20 years ago and I still recall it being pretty damn good.  It was probably a San Antonio 9 which is high praise.  That place was better than any place in Austin by far.  It still baffles me how shitty the TexMex is in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1