TexMex

Smax

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Habanero salsa?  That makes me want to go to Gerardo's and get a few barbacoa tacos and dump their habanero salsa all over them.  Habanero bukkake.

That fluorescent orange stuff?

Ethereal. 

Great tamales as well as the aforementioned barbacoa  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

damn, ive never been but I need to fix that soon 

Go to the one on Wilcrest. I can’t vouch for any other location. Plus it’s the OG (well, it was next door in the strip center before). Some of the best service you will find, very good salsa, great food (I usually get carnitas or enchiladas, my Pops loves the crunchy tacos).

It’s probably best that it’s far from my house.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:58 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Where do y’all go for cheap street tacos? I like the food truck on Harwin and Hillcroft, but I’m looking to branch out. 

Exxon station on Shepherd, between Washington and I-10 (just over the tracks heading N.)

I think it's the same people that do the truck by W. Alabama...same name at least.  It's a little more ($3/taco) but I think the quality is much better than the truck.

I usually opt for the spicy beef or chicken fajita quesadilla($6) with frijoles and cilantro/onions.  It's basically a giant taco.

10 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Exxon station on Shepherd, between Washington and I-10 (just over the tracks heading N.)

I think it's the same people that do the truck by W. Alabama...same name at least.  It's a little more ($3/taco) but I think the quality is much better than the truck.

I usually opt for the spicy beef or chicken fajita quesadilla($6) with frijoles and cilantro/onions.  It's basically a giant taco.

https://www.tacostierracalientemx.com/menu

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2023 at 5:40 PM, Tylerocks said:

it is, confirmed that with them.  also in the exxon station at 16th and durham.  used to have a spot out on federal as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Going down to Houston Saturday for my daughters cheer competition. What is the best breakfast taco in Houston? And for dinner what do you think is the best BBQ place? 

What area of town?

I don't live there anymore but loved Laredo taqueria on Washington, Brothers east of downtown never failed

As for BBQ at dinner, Pinkertons maybe? 

Cypress is chain city. That Trip Advisor Best Tex Mex is truly depressing. 

I’d recommend the original Lupe Tortillas on Highway 6 and I 10. 

The big Los Cocos on Clay is kind of the original. There was a much smaller location up the street that was the original. It was pretty good last time I ate there, but it’s been a few years. 

Regarding breakfast tacos, any truck with a pretty decent line is good in Greater Houston. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

You chose poorly. Do you normally stay in Georgetown when you go to Austin?

I didn’t choose, we have to stay at the same hotel that our cheer team is. I didn’t make the fucking rules. Listen guys I’m just trying to find some god damn places to eat. Not evaluate my itinerary, I have no clue why they are staying there. I’m just trying to ditch my wife and kids for a couple hours, find a place to pound beers and eat some food. Fuck

And I’ve never been to Austin 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

I didn’t choose, we have to stay at the same hotel that our cheer team is. I didn’t make the fucking rules. Listen guys I’m just trying to find some god damn places to eat. Not evaluate my itinerary, I have no clue why they are staying there. I’m just trying to ditch my wife and kids for a couple hours, find a place to pound beers and eat some food. Fuck

And I’ve never been to Austin 

There's a great little bistro called Applebee's up that way. Check it out. There's also a bar and grill called Chilli's that might fit the bill for beers. Their fajitas are phenomenal. I hope you can get reservations this close in.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Y’all leave Pdawg alone. When we all travel for business, we stay stay in the same hotel as the conference. 

Driving an hour to eat at Truth or the Ninfa’s on Navigation probably isn’t worth it unless you’re in the neighborhood. 

That's the point. There isn't shit to eat in Cypress unless you like chain schlock.

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

That's the point. There isn't shit to eat in Cypress unless you like chain schlock.

Hahaha dude.  Come on, hyperbole much?

There is a Killen's BBQ about to open, Alicia's Tex Mex is fine and likely as good as overpriced El Tiempo.  There is a killer taco truck at the corner of Grant Rd and Spring-Cypress.  Mario's Taco and Burger House is great (actually PDawg, you might want to check them out for breakfast tacos). There are half a dozen vietnamese places that are every bit as good as you get inside the loop.

I could go on.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Y’all leave Pdawg alone. When we all travel for business, we stay stay in the same hotel as the conference. 

Driving an hour to eat at Truth or the Ninfa’s on Navigation probably isn’t worth it unless you’re in the neighborhood. 

Damn it y'all haha...Truth is not an hour from Cypress.  And even if it was, it is certainly worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha dude.  Come on, hyperbole much?

There is a Killen's BBQ about to open, Alicia's Tex Mex is fine and likely as good as overpriced El Tiempo.  There is a killer taco truck at the corner of Grant Rd and Spring-Cypress.  Mario's Taco and Burger House is great (actually PDawg, you might want to check them out for breakfast tacos). There are half a dozen vietnamese places that are every bit as good as you get inside the loop.

I could go on.

1. Cypress is far from the culinary center of Houston metro.

2. I prefer to not voluntarily go to aggyville. 

At the NW corner of 290 and Jones is a small strip center with a Starbucks at one end and a breakfast taco place at the other. The name escapes me, but I can find it if interested. They close at 2pm or something but they have great tacos and a constant stream of customers. That should work for you. 

For BBQ at dinner, your best bet probably "is" Rudy's. BBQ in these parts is pretty much breakfast and lunch. It's all dried out by dinner.  As for Truth BBQ, you're probably as close to the Brenham location as the Houston one, time wise. Traffic is about the same but at least it's all going the same direction. 

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

At the NW corner of 290 and Jones is a small strip center with a Starbucks at one end and a breakfast taco place at the other. The name escapes me, but I can find it if interested. They close at 2pm or something but they have great tacos and a constant stream of customers. That should work for you. 

For BBQ at dinner, your best bet probably "is" Rudy's. BBQ in these parts is pretty much breakfast and lunch. It's all dried out by dinner.  As for Truth BBQ, you're probably as close to the Brenham location as the Houston one, time wise. Traffic is about the same but at least it's all going the same direction. 

This is perfect. We have a Rudys here in Oklahoma City so I wanted to try somewhere different. Lunch would be fine for the BBQ places. Thank you for the suggestions 

• Hook 'Em 1