TexMex

Smax

Texas chocolate in Tomball would be my bbq choice it’s only a 15-20 minute drive depending on what part of cypress. Can’t be going there at 9 pm expecting to eat though.

There’s a number of great Tex mex places that aren’t chains too. Rudy’s Cantina is my family’s jam on Grant, but La Maria on Spring Cypress has some dope green sauce.  Actually the greater Houston area Tex mex is better than the stuff downtown IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t choose, we have to stay at the same hotel that our cheer team is. I didn’t make the fucking rules. Listen guys I’m just trying to find some god damn places to eat. Not evaluate my itinerary, I have no clue why they are staying there. I’m just trying to ditch my wife and kids for a couple hours, find a place to pound beers and eat some food. Fuck
And I’ve never been to Austin 

Seconding Sotos for Tex Mex in Cypress. Wife’s parents live out there and I’ve been several times. It’s really good and they recently reopened after a fire.

Last time I went to Gerardo’s this happened to me.  She got the worst of it when her sled caught fire.  After running into the back of me she sued for no less than $1 million and no more than $10 million. 

IC settled with her.  $2500.00. 

I did get my barbacoa taco fix in. 

53DC340B-A08D-42E9-87EF-87E81A06BF25.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deadshank said:

Last time I went to Gerardo’s this happened to me.  She got the worst of it when her sled caught fire.  After running into the back of me she sued for no less than $1 million and no more than $10 million. 

IC settled with her.  $2500.00. 

Not to derail thread but why would she (1) sue  and (2) get any money if she ran into you?

Back into the rails...I miss Juan in a Million.  Only Austin restaurant I miss or haven't found a superior replacement for in Houston.

17 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Not to derail thread but why would she (1) sue  and (2) get any money if she ran into you?

Back into the rails...I miss Juan in a Million.  Only Austin restaurant I miss or haven't found a superior replacement for in Houston.

I told the person with me that as soon as they realized my vehicle is company owned with a commercial auto policy attached I’d get sued.   Plaintiff lawyers love commercial auto GL with higher limits and their runners monitor traffic accidents for just such opportunities.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

I told the person with me that as soon as they realized my vehicle is company owned with a commercial auto policy attached I’d get sued.   Plaintiff lawyers love commercial auto GL with higher limits and their runners monitor traffic accidents for just such opportunities.  

I guess the good news is that she probably didn't get jack shit after the attorney took his share and the attorney lost money on the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t understand. Juan in a million makes good food, but it’s not spectacular or anything. I thought the draw was 1. Solid breakfast, 2. Absurd sized tacos.

There are tons of places that make tacos as good or better than Juan in a million. Laredo does. But yeah, tacos aren’t as big. Get two or three.

she sued for no less than $1 million and no more than $10 million. 

It’s a really strange number to plead. You’d only need to say it was above the $1 million number. In an auto case I’m not sure there would ever be a reason to do it that way from the start.

I went and looked at the pleadings and have never heard of her lawyers before. Not that that makes it any better on your end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t understand. Juan in a million makes good food, but it’s not spectacular or anything. I thought the draw was 1. Solid breakfast, 2. Absurd sized tacos.

There are tons of places that make tacos as good or better than Juan in a million. Laredo does. But yeah, tacos aren’t as big. Get two or three.

It’s actually bullseye “good Tex mex that we all grew up with.” The crispy tacos are the archetype. But the best thing there? Believe it or not…the refrieds. Perfect. Lots of lard, that salty crispy texture on the outside, yet perfectly creamy. When we go, sometimes I get an extra side of em.

54 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don't know if it's nostalgia but I have been to Laredo and been to many other places and no one is at Juan's level for breakfast tacos. 

The fact you said tons of others when l haven't found one shows our taste buds are not calibrated.  We could never date.

Edited by Hornbeliever

8 hours ago, ERhine said:

It’s a really strange number to plead. You’d only need to say it was above the $1 million number. In an auto case I’m not sure there would ever be a reason to do it that way from the start.

I went and looked at the pleadings and have never heard of her lawyers before. Not that that makes it any better on your end.

I was curious about that, as well.  My carrier defended me.  Had to do some depos.  Oh, well.  

You’re deer should be ready next week. 

Anyways….Tex Mex.   Gerardo’s is good. 

• Like 1

Some projects after Rodeo : 

- Side by side comparison of full on El T sit down and $1 tacos/sixer of Modelo Especial. I think it's closer than we all want to admit. 

- Standing in line at Brother's for a breakfast taco. 

- Watching @deadshank run over over Matchbox cars in his F250 in front of Gerado's. 

- Searching for a spicy green sauce/chips. Little Pappasito's regrettably took the mild route like their chain sister locations. 

- Hitting up Lopez on the way to Whiskey Cake to take down some nice bourbon. 

- More Urbe

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Is there some good nonTexMex mexican, like some regional stuff ala Oaxacan st Xochi 

Hugo’s

Caracol 

Cuchara - I haven’t been but it looks delicious and I’ve only heard great things 

Chico’s - I’m curious about this one 

La Fisheria 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Searching for a spicy green sauce/chips.

Have you ever been to Ruchi's? It's a small local taqueria chain. It's pretty good if you don't stray too far from the basic tacos, burritos, etc., but the green sauce is spectacular. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:16 PM, DoobieWah said:

Have you ever been to Ruchi's? It's a small local taqueria chain. It's pretty good if you don't stray too far from the basic tacos, burritos, etc., but the green sauce is spectacular. 

My wife has been and didn't like it. Heard mixed things from other folks. People do like 24 hour places. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Tacos Del Julio. Don't eat there. Very bland pastor, and I somehow spent $30 on lunch. 

I would have been better off scraping up the change in my car and hitting Tacos Laguna. A $1 taco shouldn't be better than a $10 taco plate in Houston, but it almost always is. 

The one on Long Point?  If so, agreed.  Feges BBQ line was too long one day so I went there instead.  Didn't love it.

There is taco truck near Antoine and Long Point that is way better, near the watermill express.  

4 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

The one on Long Point?  If so, agreed.  Feges BBQ line was too long one day so I went there instead.  Didn't love it.

There is taco truck near Antoine and Long Point that is way better, near the watermill express.  

Feges Spring Branch has lines? Welp, I'll probably never eat there then. The Greenway line at 11 am is non existent. 

• 4 weeks later...

unplanned lunch meet up at ninfa's today, best fajitas in town. they're 1A, papasitos is 1B. their sopapillas are just damn good too. 

i had el tiempo couple of weeks back - the fajitas had a bad taste. I sent my plate back. seriously doubt i'll be going back anytime soon.

• Hook 'Em 1